U.S. ITIN # application for Canadians! Help!

disneyfreak89

DIS Veteran
We sold our DVC contract last year, but little did we realize all the headaches that went along with it!

Apparently we have to file a US Tax Return because we sold a US Timeshare property aka DVC. In order to file we need a US ITIN # since our SIN # isn't good enough.

Also because we are not US citizens, we had to pay a 15% FIRPTA tax, which we did, and the IRS has it.

The problem is, we're having trouble with them accepting our application! On the W-7 Form, we chose Reason "h" for other, and Exception 4.

What all should we send? We already sent them the 8288, 8288 A, B forms and a copy of our sales contract. What are we missing??? HELP!!!

Last edited:
Are your questions pertaining to obtaining an ITIN? If so, there are people that can do that for you. I paid $50 and it was simple. Very quick facetime interview so she could verify my identity, scan and send passports and received ITIN a few weeks later. If your question is regarding something else then I can't help you. I can put you in touch with the person who did our ITIN applications if you like. Message me if you need her email.

Two things:

First, be aware that you don't actually have to file the tax return unless you want your 15% back (and even then you might not get it all - if you realized a gain on the sale there actually will be some tax owing). That's why they withhold; they can't otherwise compel you to file. It may or may not be worth your effort, depending on how much your contract sold for.

Second, while you may find someone here who has done it and can remember which options you need to choose, it's probably easier to just call the IRS and explain what you need it for. You have a legitimate reason, so they should surely be able to help. See "Who can I call for help?"

Last edited:
Are your questions pertaining to obtaining an ITIN? If so, there are people that can do that for you. I paid $50 and it was simple. Very quick facetime interview so she could verify my identity, scan and send passports and received ITIN a few weeks later. If your question is regarding something else then I can't help you. I can put you in touch with the person who did our ITIN applications if you like. Message me if you need her email.

I failed to mention we went to an accountant who we thought specialized in US Tax Returns and he's been a dismal help at best!

Yes please! send me the info of the person who did your ITIN applications. I had no idea we could "facetime" an interview!

Two things:

First, be aware that you don't actually have to file the tax return unless you want your 15% back (and even then you might not get it all - if you realized a gain on the sale there actually will be some tax owing). That's why they withhold; they can't otherwise compel you to file. It may or may not be worth your effort, depending on how much your contract sold for.

Second, while you may find someone here who has done it and can remember which options you need to choose, it's probably easier to just call the IRA and explain what you need it for. You have a legitimate reason, so they should surely be able to help. See "Who can I call for help?"

OK, we weren't aware that we didn't have to file, we were told by the IRS we had to. We really don't care about the money but again, were told we had to file.

Did not know we had the option to CALL the IRS either! OMG. Thanks for the link.

Thank you!!! ETA: I just realized she's out of Kissimmee, Florida. That's not going to work for us, but thanks anyways.

Of course it would work for you.

That's what she does disneyfreak89.

I believe I was charged $400 for her services through a broker, but I'm guessing there is some kind of reason on their side for the extra fee - from the closing company???? Or for extra work beyond the ITIN.

Anyway, I have sold two DVC contracts. The first time was years ago and I wanted to bang my head a thousand times because no one at the IRS knew what they were doing (asking for my SSN - clearly told them I was Canadian, didn't have one that's why I was applying for an ITIN, multiple phone calls.) And the broker who said she would help, didn't. I got nowhere over and over. And I knew all the ins and outs - through research. In the end, I did not file. And did not reclaim (a very minimal amount). And had zero issues making that choice.

EDIT: This was years ago. I'm sure their training has improved and would be able to help you directly, if you choose.

This time I used Nancy's services, and it was seamless to have someone else look after it all. Do not hesitate to use her services. Heads up though, my money was still with the closing company, sitting there waiting for paperwork. It's different when the 15% has already been given to the IRS. Regardless she can help you.

Last edited:
An older daughter and I financed our DVC points. Guess we will hang on to ours once they are paid off. Seems like a lot of hassle to sell them.

An older daughter and I financed our DVC points. Guess we will hang on to ours once they are paid off. Seems like a lot of hassle to sell them.

After selling our SSR points, we said we'd never do it again. I felt it was too much of a hassle.

We had to apply for the ITIN in order to fill out the form to get the withholding tax back. It took so long. They kept moving our file to different places and different departments. I called over 10 times and no one could tell me the status...then one day, we just received it. And we said that we wouldn't do that again....

It is not when you pay someone to take care of that part, FIRPTA and the ITIN.

I've done it both ways.

Of course it would work for you.

If you read the testimonials on the website, most are from Canadian customers

Yes, sorry, of course she could help me, sounds like she knows what she's doing, I meant it wouldn't work for us because we want to deal with someone WITHIN Canada, and we've already gone so far and paid so much to an accountant etc.

If we have to reapply again, we'll just go to the nearest city and deal with a "Certified Acceptance Agent". Something we should have just done in the first place but didn't know they even existed until your link. o_O

Yes, if you can afford it financially your better off just keeping your contract! We wish we had now. :guilty:

After selling our SSR points, we said we'd never do it again. I felt it was too much of a hassle.

We had to apply for the ITIN in order to fill out the form to get the withholding tax back. It took so long. They kept moving our file to different places and different departments. I called over 10 times and no one could tell me the status...then one day, we just received it. And we said that we wouldn't do that again....

Sorry to hear about your hassle but it's reassuring to know we are not alone in our frustration!!! Never again is right!! :sad2:

Last edited:
It is not when you pay someone to take care of that part, FIRPTA and the ITIN.

I've done it both ways.

It is a hassle when the people you are paying don't know what they are doing! We had to tell our broker to take the FIRPTA tax off, they weren't even going to do it! Thankfully they sent it and we did confirmation for that. The accountant we hired, he said he's done lots of ITIN applications but somehow managed to screw ours up twice. :(

So the moral of this story is, make sure you go through someone whose an expert at it, like that Nancy Carpenter. Lesson learned.

So the moral of this story is, make sure you go through someone whose an expert at it, like that Nancy Carpenter. Lesson learned.

Yes, that's her business. So I'm sure she can do FIRPTA and ITIN applications in her sleep. :goodvibes

I'm so very sorry for your experience OP. Like I said I know from my first sale years ago how frustrating it can be.

As an aside, some do consider the monetary gain versus having your personal information in the hands of the IRS. Everyone has their own choice. Like I said I didn't claim years ago when it was 10% and the amount was hardly worth what I had to deal with - ie. IRS employees at the time that did not know the system of FIRPTA/ITIN. And I had no issue going forward.

It is a hassle when the people you are paying don't know what they are doing! We had to tell our broker to take the FIRPTA tax off, they weren't even going to do it! Thankfully they sent it and we did confirmation for that. The accountant we hired, he said he's done lots of ITIN applications but somehow managed to screw ours up twice. :(

My original post meant it's simple when you use someone to do the ITIN/FIRPTA at the same time as the transaction. In tandem with the closing company. The closing company merely holds the FIRPTA and one has a timeline to get the ITIN application in order. They know they are holding it for a professional to complete.

One of the brokers/closing company works in tandem with Nancy Carpenter. Or one can hire someone to do it at the same time.

Heads up - if anyone uses the company that uses Nancy do know that Nancy contacts you at the same time as the closing process starts. Early on. I did not receive an original email from her, she was unaware of that, and I almost missed an important timeline. As I was thinking she worked for us after closing. And she was thinking that I was simply not doing the work on my end. (And honestly in my opinion my broker and/or closing company should have someone check if everything is in order - someone should oversee it all.)

OP I am only speaking in general and to educate others here about selling. I do realize that you didn't know that they existed at the time. And you found someone who is not as skilled as he professed. Only speaking to the masses about the issues. And how smoothly it can go.

Last edited:
Not doubting you by this statement but that is totally bizarre. Who was the broker?

TRCS, Inc. out of Fort Myers.

OP I am only speaking in general and to educate others here about selling. I do realize that you didn't know that they existed at the time. And you found someone who is not as skilled as he professed. Only speaking to the masses about the issues. And how smoothly it can go.

No problem. Now I wish I had asked on these boards first before pulling the trigger. Another.lesson.learned. Thanks for your experience, it is appreciated. :-)

We recently sold a small DVC contract and did not plan to apply for ITIN or file US tax return to recover a portion of the 15% FIRPTA. Today, received letter from IRS that they aren't able to mail Form 8288 because they don't have my ITIN and provides instructions to obtain one.

Question: If you didn't file US tax return to recover the withholding, did you ignore this letter or call them to let them know your intention?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!