Uber / Lyft with small children

JediMom43014

Earning My Ears
Hello - we are taking our 4 year old daughter for her first trip in February. We are staying at the Boardwalk Villas. I am a little apprehensive about the bus situation with a stroller. If we decide that Uber or Lyft would be a better option, do they normally have carseats? I have read that the Minnie cars have them but from what I understand they are $25 a ride, no matter the distance? That seems a little steep. Thank you.

The buses aren’t difficult with a stroller. We do prefer to drive ourselves, but have used the bus with a stroller and it’s fine. If that’s your only concern with the bus, I’d say save your money. You’ll be fine.

Minnie Van pricing recently changed. Now they charge per distance, not the flat rate of $25. So it could be more or less expensive depending on where you are going.

I just got back from WDW with my DS4. We used the bus (to and from Pop Century) with no problems every single day. Sometimes we'd take the bus to AoA if that bus got there first.

We had a routine down. I was in charge of the backpack and the drink holder (from the stroller). DS9 was in charge of another bag. DH was in charge of the stroller. Even if we had to stand, we had no problems.

The only time we used the inflatable bubble booster seat was actually when we got back. DH left in a Lyft to go pick up our car (which was parked near the airport) while the boys and I waited on checked luggage. However, he forgot the car keys (which were packed in one of the bags I had). So, he had to tell the Lyft driver to come back. Well, when he got back, I didn't really want to wait for him to drive all the way to our car and then drive back to the airport to pick us up. So, I suggested we blow up the inflatable booster seat. I was actually kind of glad we got to use it (because I didn't use it at all at WDW).

Some Ubers have carseats, but in my experience they can be hard to find. If you really don't want to deal with the buses, I would rent a car.

That’s OK for an older kid, but OP has a 4 year old. 4 year olds should be properly restrained in a 5-point harness. Booster seats aren’t recommended until age 5 at a minimum.
The parent would be sitting right next to the child to keep the child from squirming out of place. I'm not suggesting the OP drive their child around with no one else in the back seat.

The parent would be sitting right next to the child to keep the child from squirming out of place. I'm not suggesting the OP drive their child around with no one else in the back seat.

A parent sitting next to a child could not properly restrain that child in a car crash. That's where the recommended booster and car seats come into play and why there are recommended age, height and weight limits. It has nothing to do someone sitting next to them in a car.

We have been going to WDW for years and had a single stroller and then a sit-n-stand, for almost all of them and rarely ever had a problem with taking the buses. Our DDs actually like taking the buses and just like Sarcazm mentioned we have our routine down pat. We unload the stroller while in line and when we had 2 under the age of 6, DH would take the stroller and bag and I would take our 2 DDs. DH would always head straight to the back door to stand out of the way, and once the bus closed the doors if there was a seat he would then sit. When DH is on DIS, he is amazed and laughs at how many parents say that strollers are are "such" a big struggle to deal with.
OP, there are some very nice reclining umbrella or light weight strollers with baskets that would be very easy to deal with.

A parent sitting next to a child could not properly restrain that child in a car crash. That's where the recommended booster and car seats come into play and why there are recommended age, height and weight limits. It has nothing to do someone sitting next to them in a car.
Four year olds that meet the weight requirements are legally allowed to use boosters. I said nothing about restraining a child, I was talking about encouraging them to sit up straight so the seatbelt restrains them. And with that, I am done with you.

Uber X or XL + carseat...you can specifically request in the app...there's usually one within 10 minutes of a resort. The Uber drivers have to have specific car seats and the ones with car seats apparently go through extra training. A sample fare, it costs $21-26 to go from WL to AK. That's without tip.

That’s OK for an older kid, but OP has a 4 year old. 4 year olds should be properly restrained in a 5-point harness. Booster seats aren’t recommended until age 5 at a minimum.
My oldest ds used a backless booster full time starting a few months before turning 5, had no choice, I had 2 infants, a 2 year old, a 4 and 6 year old, and that’s what fit in the minivan (I had to ditch my 6 year old minivan for a new odyssey, the only minivan at the time with 5 shoulder belts).

Four year olds that meet the weight requirements are legally allowed to use boosters. I said nothing about restraining a child, I was talking about encouraging them to sit up straight so the seatbelt restrains them. And with that, I am done with you.

I never said 4-year olds couldn't use boosters. You suggested in an earlier post that a booster was fine for a child if an adult was sitting next to them and that's simply not true. If you have to "encourage" a child to sit up straight so a seatbelt restrains them, they are in the wrong child car seat. And with that FACT, I am done with you.

I never said 4-year olds couldn't use boosters. You suggested in an earlier post that a booster was fine for a child if an adult was sitting next to them and that's simply not true. If you have to "encourage" a child to sit up straight so a seatbelt restrains them, they are in the wrong child car seat. And with that FACT, I am done with you.

Yesssss to all of this. The law and what’s actually safe simply don’t match a lot of the time. My state is finally getting around to updating the law so that kids have to be rear facing until 2 at minimum.

There are no facts in this post. Go spread your magic to someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter