UK Wanderings - PART 2 - Add a bit of Magic of The Large and Small Screen...

OMG I can't believe how extensive is the display ....or how many photos you took!!
Way interesting - love the atrium tiles

AND THEN SOME MORE WORKING MODELS…
(I have a personal interest in the building of models like this…given I know how hard thick white card is to cut)

445.jpg

446.jpg

451.jpg

452.jpg

453.jpg

454.jpg

455.jpg

456.jpg

457.jpg

458.jpg

459.jpg

460.jpg

Followed by…

The Ultimate Model…the star of the movie!

Diagon Alley looks fab! As do the plaster casts. :thumbsup2

How long were you there and did they serve any frozen butterbeer?

You might want to spend about 10 minutes in here. The lighting changes around the room. Lighting the castle differently. This IS the castle they used to film every movie. The model is the size of a room. The detail is stunning. And none of these photos do it justice…

461.jpg

462.jpg

463.jpg

464.jpg

465.jpg

466.jpg

467.jpg

468.jpg

470.jpg

471.jpg

472.jpg

473.jpg

474.jpg

475.jpg

476.jpg

477.jpg

478.jpg

480.jpg

OMG! Look at the scale model of the castle. It almost looks like the one at Harry Potter World in Orlando! It shows what a great job Universal did with building that castle....but the original scale model is just fantastic!

OMG I can't believe how extensive is the display ....or how many photos you took!!
Way interesting - love the atrium tiles
About 350 photos :rolleyes1

I was really amazed at how extensive this was. When I heard about it I decided to stuff the Powerhouse hosting the travelling show as it wasn't cheap.

Now this ISN'T cheap either. A family will be out hundreds before they even walk through the store :lmao: But it really is great

Diagon Alley looks fab! As do the plaster casts. :thumbsup2

How long were you there and did they serve any frozen butterbeer?
Diagon Alley was a lump in throat moment. It was like...WOOOOAH!!! I'm HERE!!!

I was there about 3 hours. Allow about 4 if you have kids as you WILL exit through a VERY big shop :scared1:

And no...no frozen butterbeer. But they might in summer.

Now we have gotten the excitement of Harry Potter out of the way...let us step back a day...and back into the rolling hills of Shropshire.

Our first stop on the first day after I arrived was somewhere not planned (by me) but one of those 'random' places we went to. It is an official English Heritage 'attraction' but it has no entry fee...although it does have opening hours :confused:
The confusion comes from that there is no gatekeeper so if you can hop a fence there's nothing stopping you getting in...

Anyway. DBF had been here before and there is normally an area you can park in. But it was closed off so we parked at the entry.

The WEIRDEST part is that this is basically along a winding road of open fields with occasional houses. And yet these two ladies arrived in a taxi :confused:
They left before us and when we were driving back we saw them wandering along the road....and they weren't flagging anyone down. So I don't know where they were wandering too.

So where were we? Lilleshall Abbey

IMG_3492.jpg

As I say...there was no gate keeper. And no fences around any hazards...and YES...THIS SIGN WAS APPROPRIATE!!! :eek:

IMG_3493.jpg

Let us step in...

109-1.jpg

And NO. I don't know why there were flies on the sign. There were hardly any bugs around at all. And they weren't disturbing me at all. They were just sitting...

112-1.jpg

In its time this would have been a spectacular building. It's interesting how you can see what the proper facade was and the construction rubble behind in various parts.

113-1.jpg

114-1.jpg

115.jpg

116-1.jpg

117-1.jpg

119-1.jpg

Yes that is someone's back you may just make out. There was a steep spiral staircase NOT blocked off you could climb to the top of. Cool. But not for the faint of heart.

120-1.jpg

122-1.jpg

123-1.jpg

124-1.jpg

This was one of the 'rooms' off to the side for various functions of the Abbey

125-1.jpg

Yes that is someone's back you may just make out. There was a steep spiral staircase NOT blocked off you could climb to the top of. Cool. But not for the faint of heart.

120-1.jpg

Any pictures from the top?

I love sites like this. When we were last in the UK, we joined English Heritage and when we drove round, we made it a point to try to hit as many of the Heritage sites as possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Any pictures from the top?

I love sites like this. When we were last in the UK, we joined English Heritage and when we drove round, we made it a point to try to hit as many of the Heritage sites as possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Given I was holding on for dear life ...that's a no... :rolleyes2

Understanding HOW Ironbridge is connected. – The Hay Incline connecting Blists Hill to the Tar Tunnel and China Museum.

Something that was a bit of an “AHA” moment was when we went to visit the Tar Tunnel. This had been closed in February and in itself is a rather ‘minor’ attraction. But by going here you actually pay attention to what is under the bridge you drive over when visiting the China Museum.

Now when you look at the Ironbridge Museums you will see them grouped. There are the “Blists Hill” museums which encompasses the China Museum and Tar Tunnel. However on visiting Blists Hill you have no understanding on just how close you do actually get to the China Museum.

This is the entry to Blists Hill from the carpark

521-2.jpg

522-1.jpg

As I showed previously Blists Hill has the town component, the Iron works, and the Hay Incline. This Hay Incline I found impressive at first glance but when you are in Blists Hill you don’t see the bottom of it, so you don’t realise it is actually all there.

This is the top I showed you previously.

676.jpg

675.jpg

674.jpg

673.jpg

But where does it go?

It goes down to the canal which runs alongside the China Museum parallel to the River.

508.jpg

510-2.jpg

509-1.jpg

Looking back up INTO Blists Hill

507-1.jpg

506-1.jpg

If you were adventurous enough I think you could probably sneak into Blists Hill this way. But…I wouldn’t bother :lmao:

Some signage –

515-2.jpg

This canal turns 90degrees and heads along to the China Museum. About a 3-7min walk depending on if you are in stroll…or Disney fastpass collection mode.

514.jpg

513.jpg

518.jpg

519-2.jpg

Reaching the China Museum…

520-1.jpg

Of course there are residents along the canal

516-1.jpg

517-1.jpg

Returning to the base of the Hay Incline Plane…

Remember this?

509-1.jpg

Ok well if you turn the camera to the right you see this building

511.jpg

We did this in the reverse direction…but from this point you go back up the stairs to the top of the bridge…cross the bridge…and back down those other stairs.

See the sign…

512-1.jpg

And I point this out because it means go AROUND the building. Not into it.
Not that we did that. I thought it quite clear. But I can imagine many a confused tourist… ;)

WELCOME TO THE TAR TUNNEL!!

Which is what exactly?

Well…it is a tunnel full of tar. Discovered accidently.

504.jpg

On arrival you walk in two steps to a tiny shop. Show your ticket (if you have the pass we got) and get issued a hard hat. Pointed to go down the stairs. And there you go…

493-2.jpg

505-1.jpg

YES THERE IS STILL TAR!!! So no high heels please…

497.jpg

I can’t IMAGINE being here in busy times. While it isn’t the ‘top’ attraction it would still get busy. And it’s a long narrow tunnel. They give you hardhat for a reason. Tall people like me once you are having to pass another person…you see the curve?

502-1.jpg

Now there’s not much else to say about it really. It’s a bit dark and smelly (like tar funnily enough) and to me kinda cool. But…that’s just me. DBF enjoyed it too and tried to do his best photographing it.

Enjoy

501-1.jpg

499.jpg

491.jpg

490-1.jpg

484-1.jpg

487-1.jpg

485.jpg

THIS part is a cut out to the side. It is one of the pools of tar. You have to crouch down and look in

494-1.jpg

I really enjoyed this AHA moment of seeing that the entire Hay Incline Plane is STILL there.

Nice pics of the tar pit. It seems like it is only a couple of meters underground. Is it very much further in-ground than that?

It continues INTO the hill. It was originally being built as an FUNCTIONAL transport service...like the Inclined Plane. But they accidentally discovered Tar which the enterprising fellow then sold.
Although there is still much Tar in there. The profit in it decreased.

They believe it continues a long way but has collapsed. It is honestly remarkable that this part is still standing. The design for holding up the wall/ceiling isn't the best method.

Courtesy of http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/our_attractions/tar_tunnel/history/

A short walk from Coalport China Museum, alongside the Shropshire Canal, takes you to the Tar Tunnel.

Over 200 years ago natural bitumen trickled like treacle into pools. It was turned into pitch, lamp black and rheumatics remedies. Now you can walk along this brick-lined tunnel where the bitumen still oozes through the walls. Don't forget to pick up your hard hat on the way in.

In October 1786, William Reynolds, a local ironmaster, started to build a tunnel from a meadow on the banks of the Severn towards the mine shafts at Blists Hill. The largely brick-lined tunnel was intended to be used for a canal to transport coal from the mines.

After they had driven the tunnel about 300 yards (275 metres) his workmen struck a spring of black sticky tar, or more correctly, natural bitumen. Natural bitumen, like coal and other forms of oil, is made up of the remains of ancient microscopic plants and animals. William Reynolds immediately realised the scientific and commercial potential of the discovery. The bitumen was collected in wells and outside the mouth of the tunnel it was boiled in large cauldrons to convert it into pitch to be used for the preservation of timber. Some of the 'Native Tar' was processed and used in lamps or as a varnish. Some was made into 'British Oil', a medicinal preparation for the treatment of rheumatic and skin complaints.

As much as 4,500 gallons of bitumen a week were collected when it was first discovered and over a thousand gallons a week for several years afterwards. But the supply of tar gradually diminished, only about 10 barrels a year were being extracted during the 1820s and tar sales ceased altogether in the 1840s. By 1847 a house had been built over the tunnel entrance, which was afterwards reached through its cellar.

It is doubtful whether there was ever a canal in the Tar Tunnel, but it was used to bring coal from the Blists Hill pits, and to drain and ventilate the mines. In the 1790s visitors reported that it extended about 1,100 yards (1,006 metres), as far as the upper shafts of the Blists Hill mines, Many local miners believed it reached pits further north in Madeley. The tunnel remained in use by the local coal mines until the 1930s and was an air raid shelter during World War II. After this it was almost forgotten about until rediscovered and explored in 1965 by the Shropshire Mining Club.

Visitors today can enter the first 100 yards (92 mtrs) of the tunnel, at the end of which is a locked iron gate. Tar can be seen in many places oozing through the mortar joints of the brick lining. On the right-hand side are two illuminated tar wells and the traces of several others can also be seen. A drainage pipe runs along the right-hand side.

Beyond the iron gate, about 270 yards (247 metres) from the entrance, the tunnel opens out to twice its normal width to allow trains of wagons going in opposite directions to pass. After this is an area where the roof has fallen, followed by an unlined section of brilliantly coloured rock. The tunnel then becomes no more than a culvert with an open drainage channel. At 395 yards (361 metres) there is a side passage, now blocked, which probably went to the Blists Hill lower shafts. The main tunnel becomes increasingly narrow and after 736 yards (673 metres) no further progress is possible. However, if the tunnel continued in a straight line it would reach the shafts of the Blists Hill upper pit. As the total length would then be 988 yards (904 metres), less than the distance reported by early visitors, it may well have continued further north.

As with everything on this board, I feel like I'm always behind...I've only just finished looking at all the photos for Harry Potter!!!! The details are phenomenal.

How do you remember all these things to write about it? I still admire the presence of mind that you have to actually take a photo at all the right times. Always always a fan of your details...has helped me many a time and I'm sure when I do get to that part of the eventually that I will be coming back here

Here endeth the Trip Report.
Although I did plan to complete these with some sooner than others it seems that even long completed Trip Reports can still attract snide remarks seeking information about places never said to be planned to be covered and claiming it to be incomplete. So rather than putting up with such comments from people like Battymum I’ve decided to end all Trip Reports where they are.
I’m sorry if my Trip reports did not meet your requirements but given they were MY trips and the idea is to talk about MY experiences I really don’t much care to see such comments and don’t understand the reason for these unwelcome snide comments.
This one was due soon to get a report of Warwick Castle and Highclere Castle, as well as some information about Cadbury World; but I’m sure Battymum will go there for you and report back any information you require

Thank you and Good night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter