Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds

Are you sure you can use a GAD voucher for that? I had planned to do the same thing and was told by someone that I couldn't :confused3 Really would like to find a definative answer...

My family and I are planning to do the same thing and would love clarification on this as well. Maybe we should create a thread just for this.....

Count me as one of those who tried to plan our last vacation around big crowds. We went last week late Jan. (Thurs - Sun). It was miserably crowded. This used to be a great time to go - I guess the AP situation has really changed things eh?

For me, it's simply not enjoyable when the resort is this crowded - especially with a youngster (4 year old) in tow.

Tons and tons of rude teenagers in the park -- it was obvious to me that the Disney resort has become an after-school & weekend babysitter.

I'll definitely double up on my efforts to avoid crowds, (especially the young, local AP holders), for our next trip.

Count me as one of those who tried to plan our last vacation around big crowds. We went last week late Jan. (Thurs - Sun). It was miserably crowded. This used to be a great time to go - I guess the AP situation has really changed things eh?
Saturday was a blockout day. Did you see any crowd reduction on Saturday?

Wow, we went last Wednesday and I thought the park was pretty empty. My son was there with his middle school marching band. There were also two high school bands there and probably other school groups. Yes, a lot of teenagers, but I didn't encounter any rude ones.

I didn't get there with my other kids until about 3:30, but given our short amount of time in the park we rode a lot of rides. Went to DCA first and waited about 10 min for Soarin. The wait for Peter Pan was no more than 15 min. DS13 arrived with his band shortly after opening. He rode SM 10 times, as well as all the other big rides, some multiple times.

I was also there for a few hours on Monday to take my mom to lunch for her birthday and the crowds seemed pretty low, although a little busier than last Wednesday.

Saturday was a blockout day. Did you see any crowd reduction on Saturday?

Frankly, I did not notice a reduction in crowd on Saturday.

Thursday was pretty good. Friday became increasingly busy throughout the day - by night it was ridiculous, through Sunday.

Bottom line is I would not rule out September based on this thread. I would ask the questions you are asking so you do not get surprised. My understanding is that September weekdays after Labor Day are pretty light on crowds. That is a low interest time for AP holders usually.

I had a CM confirm this is correct when we went in October and it was so crowded. There are surges by AP holders in late August and then again in October for HalloweenTime. I think mid to early September and early January weekdays are the few times the park could still be considered "slow."

This is a great thread!

Could someone help me with December 2010. We have the flexibility of being able to go at anytime of the month. What in your opinions would be the least crowded time?

Could someone help me with December 2010. We have the flexibility of being able to go at anytime of the month. What in your opinions would be the least crowded time?

Since you do have the flexibility of being able to go anytime during December, that is a big plus! A lot of folks don't have that kind of leeway and are forced to have to go at a time that may be more crowded.

The period between Christmas and New Year's is a crazy, crazy madhouse - that has always been the case, and it is not because of AP holders but rather just the fact that it is a full vacation week for many people, and they come armed with their holiday gift money, ready to buy Hoppers, etc. So I personally would avoid that whole week, even though the only AP holders who are not blocked at that time are PAP's.

I would have previously said that the weekend right before Christmas was crowded, but not too oppressively so, and if you had to go then it would be fine, but 2009 yielded much heavier crowds on that pre-Christmas weekend, and I found it daunting because I didn't have that same ultra-crowded experience on the same weekend in 2008 or 2007.

I can't recall when the SoCal APs are blocked in December, but it is pretty early on in the month and it lasts for the entire rest of the month, I think. So, just a guess, but I would think that the best time to plan to go to DLR in December for you would be weekdays (not a weekend, if you can help it), maybe during the second week of December at the latest, possibly the first week.

July with blockouts is better than June without blockouts especially after something new comes out.

Thank you so much, HydroGuy, for all of your research and for posting it here.
Based on DL planning books that I've read (Unofficial Guide and others), I was planning to go June 17-24 (the earliest we can go in June) and have Saturday be a rest/pool day to avoid park crowds but go to the parks on Sunday and Mon/Tue June 21-22 expecting low crowds because of it being weekdays. Wow - that is the opposite of what we should do! I can see where an annual publication would not be able to keep up with the trends seen in recent months.
Based on this thread, we will change our plans to go in mid-July.

Thanks again!

Mid week the second week after CM cast parties and CP. Last year they had Fantasmic running mid week 2x. I think the second week Thurs-Sat is the best. Sat will be more crowded but you could do DCA that day.

This is frustrating. I knew I'd be fighting crowds in the summer, but I didn't have any idea about AP blockout dates.

So, Disneyland planning experts, here's my situation:

I'm arriving late afternoon of 6/21 and staying through late in the morning of 6/25. From what I've gathered from this thread, I should count on Monday (21st) and Tuesday (22nd) to be crazy-busy. I was planning on 3 days - Tues (22nd), Wed (23rd) and Thurs (24th). Should I skip the 22nd now, and just go for the morning of the 25th? I haven't a clue about early morning park openings. The 25th is a Friday. Will that be a day that a park is open early?

But, if all the APs will be clamoring to get into DCA, the nighttime crowds at Disneyland on the 21st and 22nd might not be too bad? Maybe?

And, there's a grad night on the 24th. Will that have much impact on my touring?

Anyone care to direct me to the proper park during the dates in question?

Thanks!

This is frustrating. I knew I'd be fighting crowds in the summer, but I didn't have any idea about AP blockout dates.

I'm arriving late afternoon of 6/21 and staying through late in the morning of 6/25. From what I've gathered from this thread, I should count on Monday (21st) and Tuesday (22nd) to be crazy-busy. I was planning on 3 days - Tues (22nd), Wed (23rd) and Thurs (24th). 1. Should I skip the 22nd now, and just go for the morning of the 25th? I haven't a clue about early morning park openings. The 25th is a Friday. 2. Will that be a day that a park is open early?

3. But, if all the APs will be clamoring to get into DCA, the nighttime crowds at Disneyland on the 21st and 22nd might not be too bad? Maybe?

And, there's a grad night on the 24th. 4. Will that have much impact on my touring?

Thanks!

1. In my opinion, it's not worth sacrificing a whole day (even with crowds) for only a half day (morning), or at least that's what I'm assuming based on your post. Yes, the 22nd will be crazy packed. But by arriving at the park early and using FP a lot, you can still get a fair amount done.

2. Magic Mornings (when the park opens an hour early) are Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. If you are buying a 3 day ticket, most likely you will be getting at least 1 MM. Check out my thread here for lots more: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

3. Eh...not really. The World of Color seating area can only hold about 9,000 crammed people. And rumor is that you will only get to be one of those 9,000 if you get a special "show pass" (think FP for the show basically). Also, since the Electrical Parade will be heading over to WDW and many of the Paradise Pier rides have to close for the show, there will be very little incentive for those guests who missed out on the "show pass" to actually stay at DCA. A ton of people will hop over to see Fantasmic or the fireworks if they "don't get into see WoC"

4. Grad nights do not affect day time crowds. They will only shorten park hours (I think DL closes at 9 and DCA at like 6 or 7.

I'm arriving late afternoon of 6/21 and staying through late in the morning of 6/25. From what I've gathered from this thread, I should count on Monday (21st) and Tuesday (22nd) to be crazy-busy. I was planning on 3 days - Tues (22nd), Wed (23rd) and Thurs (24th). Should I skip the 22nd now, and just go for the morning of the 25th? I haven't a clue about early morning park openings. The 25th is a Friday. Will that be a day that a park is open early?

But, if all the APs will be clamoring to get into DCA, the nighttime crowds at Disneyland on the 21st and 22nd might not be too bad? Maybe?

And, there's a grad night on the 24th. Will that have much impact on my touring?

Thanks!

I went last year those exact dates. I arrived on June 21st, ( DH BD, also Father's Day) and stayed a few days. It was wonderful. The So Cal Select level was already BO but the second level wasn't. I don't think it made a difference. I have another trip planned for about the same time this year pending disasters. I went in half day on Sunday it was great, whole day Monday DCA Tuesday. Weather excellent, crowds managable.

Well, best case is what happened to some others who caught this early enough to change travel dates. It is still four months out now for June visitors.

Second best case, I guess, is that someone like you finds out about it now and hence is fully informed and not caught by surprise when you show up.

With that in mind, even with AP crowds you will have a great time if you do a little planning. :goodvibes

I totally agree with DLR29 in the PP. Go on June 21 and 22 and work the situation. Since June 23-24 will be AP blocked out for SoCal AP holders, those days will be less crowded.

If I was in your boat here are some things that I would be keeping in mind:

1. The WOC show will be something you will want to see. On all four nights 21-25 it will be crazy crowded for this show AP holders or not - and there will probably be two shows a night - but Disney has not said anything official yet.

2. As DLR29 said there is lots of rumor - nothing announced yet - of a WOC Showpass. You will want to get one of these. If the rumors prove true then you will be out of luck on June 21 for Showpass. But you will have three other nights. Get a Showpass.

3. Since June 24 is a grad night DLR will close early and that may affect WOC. Perhaps no show at all or only once show. Traditionally DCA has closed at 6PM on grad nights and since WOC is a night time show and probably has to show after 8:30PM on a mid-summer night like June that could affect whether they even show it.

4. If you are into fireworks see them at DL on June 21. It will be busy - get there early. Not sure how early. You will need to pay attention to these boards before your trip. My guess at this point is 30 minutes early. Maybe 45. Why see fireworks on the first night? See this thread -"HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199851. If they get cancelled on the first night you will have two more chances - maybe three.

5. Since it will be more crowded on June 21 and June 22 those will be better days to see shows and do any special dining. Still do rides and get your FPs on 21-22, but with shows you are in the same boat as all the other crowds. With rides you aren't. If there are longer lines for rides on June 21-22 - and there will be - then use that time more for non-ride things.

6. Do your Magic Morning on June 22. If you stay at a DLR hotel you can also do June 24. Do that one too. Consult DLR29's excellent link he gave on that.

7. There will probably be 2 Fantasmic shows on June 21, 22 and 23, and only one (or maybe none_ on June 24 because of the grad night. When there are two shows they are at 9 and 10:30. If you can do the late show then do it. Since the 9PM show comes before then there are no folks saving spots for 2-3 hours before. If you cannot do the late show because of young kids or otherwsie, then the best early show will be on June 23 or 24 because of the lack of AP holders and lower crowds. You will also have the option for a dessert reservation for either show if you need to have a more comfortable seat and can afford the reservation.

8. If it was me I would do both fireworks and Fantasmic (10:30 show) on the first night June 21, and, if possible, WOC on June 22. Then you will have a free night to do rides on June 23. June 24 will be free also but short.

9. As far as grad night on June 24 here is some info: "The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400

10. On every day except for maybe June 21 plan to park hop ("Why I ParkHop at DLR" by Hound 109 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1491961)

11. If you stay close by - and IMO you should - take a long afternoon break on June 22 and 23 - see "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

12. On June 21 there is no need for a break because you will arrive late anyways. And on June 24 you should probably still take a break but make it much shorter because of DL's early closing. I would make it 2 hours (3 max) instead of 4-5.

Have a magical trip. pixiedust:

Just my 2 cents. One of our days there will be a grad night--thursday. We're going to use that as our mm since the parks will close early that night.

I'm arriving late afternoon of 6/21 and staying through late in the morning of 6/25. From what I've gathered from this thread, I should count on Monday (21st) and Tuesday (22nd) to be crazy-busy. I was planning on 3 days - Tues (22nd), Wed (23rd) and Thurs (24th). Should I skip the 22nd now, and just go for the morning of the 25th? I haven't a clue about early morning park openings. The 25th is a Friday. Will that be a day that a park is open early? [snip]

You have received lots of good advice already, but one more thing that Idon't think has been mentioned in this thread is that June 21 & 22 are blockout days for the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day ticket. So the GAD voucher cannot be redeemed that day, which may help some with the crowds from local day trippers. The bad news, of course, will be that you cannot apply the value of the voucher to upgrade to a PH or AP if you are arriving on June 21. Have a great trip -- Suzanne

Thank you so much for this analysis. We have visited Disneyland in October the past 2 years and it has been okay, but more crowded than expected.

This year we are hoping to see some of the Christmastime decor. I am planning a trip for November 15-19 (the week before Thanksgiving). What do you think the park will be like at this time? I am hoping for lighter crowds since school will be out the following week... Any thoughts?

Our first trip to DL was the week before Thanksgiving week and it was perfect. Good thing, because I didn't know one thing about touring or planning. We just went with 15 of us and winged the trip. The crowds were low, the weather was perfect and we had a great time. So great, that we've been back five times since. I'd recommend going with a plan though!

Our first trip to DL was the week before Thanksgiving week and it was perfect. Good thing, because I didn't know one thing about touring or planning. We just went with 15 of us and winged the trip. The crowds were low, the weather was perfect and we had a great time. So great, that we've been back five times since. I'd recommend going with a plan though!

We were hoping to plan our trip for a slow time this fall...we don't mind if things close early or we miss some of the big stuff. Anyone know if Veteran's Day is typically busy at DL? I was thinking of doing something the week of Nov. 8th or 15th to take advantage of the blackout days. Or is this a bad idea?

We were hoping to plan our trip for a slow time this fall...we don't mind if things close early or we miss some of the big stuff. Anyone know if Veteran's Day is typically busy at DL? I was thinking of doing something the week of Nov. 8th or 15th to take advantage of the blackout days. Or is this a bad idea?
In recent years Veteran's Day has reportedly been one of the busiest days of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter