Understanding wait times and UExp

123SA

DIS Veteran
It's President's Day weekend, so I am assuming that the crowds at the park are considered high.

It is 11:30am EST, and the wait time for Rip Ride Rocket is listed at 50 minutes on the Universal Studios app.

How long of a wait would you expect for UExp riders?

I'm planning a trip first week of August; I'm trying to get a sense of how much time we'll save.

The RRR EP lines lets you in at the base of the stairs going up to the ride (used to be different, but they changed it a year or 2 ago.) If there isn't a wait in the EP portion of the line and the normal line extends beyond the base of the stairs (which would be normal during more crowded times), then I'd say you can expect about 10-15 minutes of waiting. If the EP line itself gets backed-up (haven't seen it doing that, but I also haven't been during the real crowded times at the parks), then you could add some time to wait through the EP side as well.

But in general, I would guess even during more crowded times you should be able to get through the line in about 15 minutes or so.

The RRR EP lines lets you in at the base of the stairs going up to the ride (used to be different, but they changed it a year or 2 ago.) If there isn't a wait in the EP portion of the line and the normal line extends beyond the base of the stairs (which would be normal during more crowded times), then I'd say you can expect about 10-15 minutes of waiting. If the EP line itself gets backed-up (haven't seen it doing that, but I also haven't been during the real crowded times at the parks), then you could add some time to wait through the EP side as well.

But in general, I would guess even during more crowded times you should be able to get through the line in about 15 minutes or so.

:thumbsup2

One additional thought on RRR is the lockers. You have to go through a metal detector to ride and as such, can't have any big metal objects like a phone on your person. The locker layouts isn't the best in the world and you can have a 5+ minute wait if there are crowds just trying to get a locker and all your stuff into it. Then you get to wait again on the back-end trying to get your items out of the locker. :crazy2:

So if anyone in your party isn't riding, you might want to load them down with all your "extra" items and not worry with a locker at all.

Thank you.

I meant to ask a more general question. Is a 15 minute during crowded times the usual wait for rides with UExp?

Hi it could range from 15-20 minutes . Some more popular rides maybe a tad longer.

We saw Hulk with a 90 minute regular line, we rode 3 times in around 15 minutes.

Minions was frequently 100 minutes, only once did we wait longer than 10-12 minutes for EP line......and that was only because we just missed a group going in.

RRR we have always got on quickly with EP. With waits of around 50 minutes for the regular line we noticed we were on in less than 10 minutes, never waited longer than that.

For us, no it’s not normal to wait 15 minutes for every ride with EP. Can it happen, sure.......

There are so many variables day to day it’s hard to predict. And of course if the ride has gone down for any reason like some can, then you may wait a little longer.

Barring mechanical issues with the ride, 15 minutes is probably the longest during a busy time. I don't have enough EP experience on FJ and Gringott's to comment though. 10 is probably the norm.

We arrived Friday and are staying at RPR. Today has been the worst day, crowd wise. Up until today we have waited between 5-15 minutes using our Express Pass (our room key). Today, we are waiting between 10-30 minutes depending on which ride. In spite of the crowds and the heat, we are having a great time.

My 31 year old son is in heaven due to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. He can't get enough.

There was only once I can remember having to wait more than around 20 to 25 minutes for any EP ride (other than a ride breakdown/stoppage.) That was when the Mummy ride was first opened. The EP line was about an hour or so.

And I learned a valuable lesson then as well. Don't put your room keys/EPs in your front shirt pocket. They may not be in your pocket at the end of the ride. :sad:

We are going May 5-11 and I’m not expecting it to be too busy but if we get there and it is would it cost us more to buy EP there at the park rather than before we get there?

We are going May 5-11 and I’m not expecting it to be too busy but if we get there and it is would it cost us more to buy EP there at the park rather than before we get there?

The ep price can increase anytime

Supply and demand
If attendance predictions will be high and the ep is selling in advance, their price can increase

OTOH if you go and it is pouring rain, it keeps crowds away

No need for an ep that day

The ep price can increase anytime

Supply and demand
If attendance predictions will be high and the ep is selling in advance, their price can increase

OTOH if you go and it is pouring rain, it keeps crowds away

No need for an ep that day

Thanks macraven, I guess we'll play it by ear and see how it goes. According to undercover tourist the crowd calendars for then are low with the exception of May 5th (Cinco de May) we already plan on skipping the parks on that day and doing something else...shopping maybe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter