Universal/DLand Trip

lurpee

DIS Veteran
I may be posting on the wrong board but my family and I are planning a trip January 1st through January 7th. We want to do one day at Universal, one day relaxing with dinner at Medieval Times and three days at Disneyland.

We did this last year but we stayed at the DL Hotel the whole time and took a Lyft everywhere. I think this year to save money and time as well as experience something different, we want to stay the 1st through the 3rd at a hotel close to Universal.

The plan would be to arrive at about 1:30 or 2 on the 1st. I’ll need to sleep a few hours because I will have been up for 24 hours the night before due to work. So we’ll just stay at the hotel and DH will take the girls to the pool. We could do Medieval Times that night. On the 2nd we would do Universal Studios all day open to close.

On the 3rd we’d check out and switch to DL Hotel and relax and/or do Medieval Times if we didn’t do it on the 1st. The 4th through the 6th would be at DL/CA and we’d fly home on the 7th. I know I prefer Long Beach Airport for flying out of Disneyland.

I am looking for any input on Universal Studios, especially hotels near there with a pool that will hopefully be open in January. .

Thanks!

Look at the Hilton Universal and Sheraton Universal -- both super close to USH. Pools in Southern CA should be open in January, unless they are being refurbished or repaired. The Metro Red Line has a station at the bottom of the hill from USH -- that would allow you to visit various places without using a car. Hollywood & Highland is one or two stops away -- you could do that your first night -- dining, shops, Hollywood sign photo op, Walk of Fame out front, Chinese Theatre next door, Dolby Theatre (home of the Academy Awards ceremony) inside, etc. Disney's El Capitan Theatre is across the street -- maybe you could see a movie there? It's a great theatre, especially if the organist is playing the Mighty Wurlitzer. Then you wouldn't have to make the drive all the way to Buena Park for Medieval Times on your first night.

Medevil times is by knotts berry farm which is 7 miles from Disneyland. That is a ways from Universal Studios. I would do Medevil Times when you are closer to Disneyland.

I agree with theluckyrabbit, stay at one of the Universal hotels and see the sights in the area on your first night using the Red Line. Or you could stay in Hollywood (my boys love the Loews - in Hollywood & Highland) and take the Red Line to Universal. Either way, do Medieval Times when you're staying in Anaheim as it's much more convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!