Universal FAQ's

Hello! We're heading to Orlando in December from the 5th-9th and spending only ONE day at Universal. I know its supposed to be a slower time in the parks but I've not been there in 8 or 9 years a definitely want to get the most out of the day. Is it worth it to add on the Express Unlimited pass? Or will the park be quiet enough to walk on rides? We're not staying on site.
Yes it is a slower time for sun-Thur
Don't have a calendar near me to say which day is best

Look at the website and see what rides in the parks you want to be sure to cover

If you have many in both parks, the ep
Might be beneficial

Figure the cost of a one day two park ticket with ep

Could be staying one night ar the deluxe hotels might be cheaper in order to get the free ep

If price is reasonable, could book it as throw away room

If you go on a low crowd crowd day and a small group, ep might not be needed

Hello! We're heading to Orlando in December from the 5th-9th and spending only ONE day at Universal. I know its supposed to be a slower time in the parks but I've not been there in 8 or 9 years a definitely want to get the most out of the day. Is it worth it to add on the Express Unlimited pass? Or will the park be quiet enough to walk on rides? We're not staying on site.
I think you'll be OK w/o Express whichever day to go since it's slow. You can always purchase the EP once you arrive if you feel you need it.

Need some help and advice, feeling like there is a sharp learning curve to US website and I am falling below the curve!

Plannkng for 2 families of 5. We areTOTALLY limited in our dates due to school and sports schedules. We will be traveling July 28/29th to August 3rd/4th.

We are thinking Cabana Bay because we like the pool/lazy river area but would be open to others depending on the price. The DHs like the idea of prepaid meals because then meals don't also mean sticker shock.

We will need park to park tickets because 3 out of 6 kids are big Potter fans. We'd want to do Volcano,Bay at least once. We are flexible on the number of ticketed days but want time to see/ride the must sees.

We've done Disney together and had a blast we are excited for Universal with the kids,being older but I am in a planning funk because I feel like I don't know a good US price, no idea when discounts come out, don't really know what is required to book (been told 2 different things), feeling like dining plan is a waste if no hotel restaurants are included, not sure where to plan to eat, do we not need reservations even for a group of 10??? Help.....

All I can tell you is I bought the dining plan for this trip (I am at the MCO airport right now) and returned it 2 days ago for gift cards. I really didn’t like the limitations and the fact that I would have had to eat $60 a day in meals to just break even.

All I can tell you is I bought the dining plan for this trip (I am at the MCO airport right now) and returned it 2 days ago for gift cards. I really didn’t like the limitations and the fact that I would have had to eat $60 a day in meals to just break even.

we've never purchased a meal plan at universal or wdw. I don't know how people eat all that food!

Need some help and advice, feeling like there is a sharp learning curve to US website and I am falling below the curve!

Plannkng for 2 families of 5. We areTOTALLY limited in our dates due to school and sports schedules. We will be traveling July 28/29th to August 3rd/4th.

We are thinking Cabana Bay because we like the pool/lazy river area but would be open to others depending on the price. The DHs like the idea of prepaid meals because then meals don't also mean sticker shock.

We will need park to park tickets because 3 out of 6 kids are big Potter fans. We'd want to do Volcano,Bay at least once. We are flexible on the number of ticketed days but want time to see/ride the must sees.

We've done Disney together and had a blast we are excited for Universal with the kids,being older but I am in a planning funk because I feel like I don't know a good US price, no idea when discounts come out, don't really know what is required to book (been told 2 different things), feeling like dining plan is a waste if no hotel restaurants are included, not sure where to plan to eat, do we not need reservations even for a group of 10??? Help.....

Hi we love planning universal vacations and once you get past the initial part it will be good. First universal doesn't have a time frame like Disney for discounts. They always have a "stay more save more" that you can see availability. If you stay more than 5 nights at one hotel you get a discount. The length of stay changes the discount. You can get an annual pass and look for AP rates. These usually come out about a month or two.

We love Cabana Bay and actually went the same week as you last year and got the save more rate and felt it was a good deal. When you use the website and compare hotel prices rooms and dates it will give you a standard rate and any discounts. This hotel does not have express pass and the summer can be busy. If you want express pass I would suggest Royal Pacific Resort. When we stayed last year we stayed one night at Royal Pacific and got the express pass. It was cheaper for us to pay for one night at two hotels then to pay for express pass out of pocket.

I would book asap cause rooms book up. If you book room only you can make changes to the reservation without a charge. You might find a discount room later. Room only reservations you only need to put down 1 nights deposit for each room reservation then you can pay when you check in.

The dining plan really isn't worth buying ahead. We bought it when we felt it was a good deal. Their meal plan is set up that you can purchase it when you order. The Harry Potter restaurants seem to save a bit. Generally you do not need reservations with their restaurants. You just walk up and give your name, however you could probably call that day to reserve something at the city walk restaurants.

We did 4 days park to park 3 park passes and was happy with that. Volcano Bay was a lot of fun.

Anything feel free to ask or pm me.

Happy planning!

Smsm discounts vary
I go in the season where only a 3 night stay is required and the discount is 35%

Seasons dates vary with discounts 10% to 35% and 3 night requirement and up

Smsm discounts vary
I go in the season where only a 3 night stay is required and the discount is 35%

Seasons dates vary with discounts 10% to 35% and 3 night requirement and up

That's good to know. All the times I went I had a minimum of 5 nights at 15%. Thanks!

Over Spring break in March why are the EP & UEP tickets less expensive on Friday and Saturday compared to Tuesday thru Thursday?

We can make a Fri/Sat trip to Univ work but I just wanted to make sure there was not a reason to stay away.

Is there a thread which discusses Univ upcoming announced and rumored projects?

I am planning a 2020 first time trip and I am OCD with planning so this info would be appreciated.

This was the best that I found but its 5 months old and I was looking for discussion on them as to the latest info.
https://www.****************.com/ne...rides-coming-universal-orlando-resort-5-years

Is there a thread which discusses Univ upcoming announced and rumored projects?

I am planning a 2020 first time trip and I am OCD with planning so this info would be appreciated.

This was the best that I found but its 5 months old and I was looking for discussion on them as to the latest info.
https://www.****************.com/ne...rides-coming-universal-orlando-resort-5-years

No present rumor threads on the darkside.

Some threads might have a stab on rumors at times

There are some sites blocked due to the filter of the Disboards.
No idea which site you were listing above

Future projects do get announced years in advance
Changes in the parks usually gets a lot of attention.

This is what I have seen...

Fast & Furious - 2018
Dragon Challenge replacement (likely Fantastic Beasts ride) - Announced to open 2019
T2 3D replacement - Announced to open 2019
Rumored Fear Factor demo fall of 2018 for new Ministry of Magic Flue ride - I'm guessing 2020

Nintendo Land - Guessing Spring 2021 as it wont be before Univ Japan and they want it open for the 2020 Summer Olympics. Unfortunately this is after our trip but good to go in the mindset of not expecting this.

Long rumored SLoP takeover of Shrek but nothing has been announced so I think its been pushed for money savings to get the HP and Nintendo projects going first.

Are there any other closed attractions that are waiting for something to be announced replacing them?

I was surprised to see USH's Shrek closed up when I finally got out there last August. Made sure to catch the USF version this year, since I assumed they've got the evil eye trained on that one as well. :hourglass

But thinking about it, I agree with the above that the surviving Shrek may get a reprieve while the higher-priority stuff gets done first. I never thought about the ride potential of Fantastic Beasts, or the Ministry of Magic for that matter; those rides sound pretty cool. My suggestion is for the flue ride to make fun of you for mispronouncing your destination, a-la the movie.

Shrek is being replaced with Kung Fu Panda

Interesting, would love this but do we have a 'shut down' date for Shrek? Touring plans is still allowing us to pick it as an attraction for June.

Just be aware that the this announcement is specific to Shrek 4D at Universal Studios HOLLYWOOD. They have not confirmed that the Orlando attraction is being replaced at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!