Universal Hollywood Express vs VIP

meagan43

Earning My Ears
We are looking to doing a trip to Universal Hollywood to see the New Harry Potter land (haven't been since Jurassic Park was new and we didn't have kids) and have heard how packed it gets.

We were considering getting a special pass and wondered if anyone had insight to if the Express or VIP is worth it and which you would choose.

For our Dates (early June), the VIP is $319 and the Express is $179 at Getaway Today. That is a big jump between the two and wasn't sure if the value was worth the jump. We would be buying tickets for 6 of us - 3 adults, 1-15 yo, 1-12 yo, 1-7 yo

Also, any other advice on enjoying the park, we would love, too :D

Universal Express is their version of Fast Pass. Standard Express allows for 1-time Express access into each attraction. Unlimited Express allows for unlimited use of the Express line.

The VIP tour is an all inclusive tour of the backlot and theme park. You will get a tour guide who will usher you to the front of the line at all attractions and you will go on a 3+ hour tour of the backlot. Also included is Unlimited Universal Express and dinner.

Last edited:
We did not see an Unlimited Express for sale, just the Express and VIP. (on Getaway Today discounted ticket list)

My big question though was if someone knew if they were worth the extra money over a regular tickets if we go the beginning of June. Do you need that front of the line pass to do everything or can you just time your day? The Express itself is over $70 extra per person. The VIP is over $200 extra. Is a backlot tour and dinner worth that increase or that much better than the Express?

Early June is when it starts getting really crowded because all the kids get out of school (LA Unified gets out 6/7) and everyone who has passes likes to go during the week, plus as you know all the tourist traffic increases. If you're just worried about line lengths I'd skip the VIP as it sounds like you're not interested in the extras. The VIP tour takes you around the park for a few hours, with front of the line access to the rides you visit, then lunch and express passes for the rest of the day. If you don't want to pay the extra up front, you can always buy express passes in the park. Last time I was there on a packed day there were team members everywhere with moveable kiosks selling them. Or if you don't want to buy them just go early/stay late and use single rider lines and you'll be able to get everything done.

We did the VIP experience and LOVED it. It was just my husband and I for my birthday and I’m booking it again for my son and I for his birthday in May. We THOROUGHLY enjoyed ourselves and truly felt like VIPs. I HIGHLY recommend it. The food is prepared in a nice private dining area, but the chef of Universal. Our guide was so attentive to everyone’s needs. The back lot tour was leaps and bounds better than the regular tour. Nice, open trolly vs a cramped, hot, bus. And you got to get out and walk around. It was a very cool experience.

depends on what u want to see. if ur interested in the lot and not much into the rides, VIP. I heard they go for 6 hours. if u want to do the rides then express pass(front of the line pass right). for first timers and not frequent visitors, I highly suggest that. if u plan to go again, a regular ticket will do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!