Universal Horror nights solo and meet ups!

Leagill

Mouseketeer
So I am planning to come back to Disney solo for September (2 weeks, from the UK) , but I cant decide whether to do the slightly cheaper dates of the 27th August and just do the Disney halloween party.. or come back on the 10th Sept and finally go to Universal's horror nights! Ive always wanted to go, there is a chance someone might join me.. but if that falls through has anyone done the Universal horror night solo? Ive done the Disney one fine on my own, but I appreciate Universal's is a lot more 'adult'! I would love anyone's input on this as I am struggling to decide when to book solely based on this dilemma! Thank you!! :) :)

Halloween Horror Nights are very different from MNSSHP and more about the haunted houses and jump scares and such, so I don't know how much fun it would be without people to laugh at and react with and such. Personally, I found the haunted houses to be less fun because they send too many people through with almost no breaks in the line, so when the person 4 people in front of you screams, you know it's coming. I loved the themed streets of the park though. There is a lot of alcohol being served, so you get a bit of a bar scene feel, which I didn't care for. As a single lady, you might get hit on a bit. I mean, I don't think you'd have any problems or anything, but how fun it would be will kinda depend on you.

Halloween Horror Nights are very different from MNSSHP and more about the haunted houses and jump scares and such, so I don't know how much fun it would be without people to laugh at and react with and such. Personally, I found the haunted houses to be less fun because they send too many people through with almost no breaks in the line, so when the person 4 people in front of you screams, you know it's coming. I loved the themed streets of the park though. There is a lot of alcohol being served, so you get a bit of a bar scene feel, which I didn't care for. As a single lady, you might get hit on a bit. I mean, I don't think you'd have any problems or anything, but how fun it would be will kinda depend on you.
Thank you for your insight! I have booked the 10th Sept but I will hold off booking universal horror tickets until nearer the time then and have a good think about it! Do people drink a lot there? If the prices of alcohol are anything like Disney I would be surprised if people can afford it, but then I guess it stops people getting too drunk! I must admit I wouldn't go to a bar solo so not sure how I feel about it being quite bar orientated there. I read that you can do a day tour and you can see the houses and actually take pictures? Maybe that would be better if I'm solo? Thanks again for your advice!

Thank you for your insight! I have booked the 10th Sept but I will hold off booking universal horror tickets until nearer the time then and have a good think about it! Do people drink a lot there? If the prices of alcohol are anything like Disney I would be surprised if people can afford it, but then I guess it stops people getting too drunk! I must admit I wouldn't go to a bar solo so not sure how I feel about it being quite bar orientated there. I read that you can do a day tour and you can see the houses and actually take pictures? Maybe that would be better if I'm solo? Thanks again for your advice!

My experience was that plenty of people were on the tipsy side, maybe not too drunk, with a couple of exceptions. It was definitely adult-ish though. I'm not much for drinking, so I'm not sure on the price, but I'm sure it was pretty high. This was a few years ago that I went though.

I don't mean to make it sound that rough. It's not, just in comparison to MNSSHP it is. Plus, I am a bit sensitive toward "bar scene" types of things. There is a ton of security and such too.

I think you can only see the haunted houses from the outside during the day. They're not much to look at. Honsetly, the houses weren't that special, which I had been hoping they would be. The street theming though was amazing! You can see some of that stuff during the day, but withhout the lighting and performers it's not that great.

Last edited:

Or a human shield, if you scare easy. Lol.

I haven't been to Universal's but went to Busch Garden's(at Williamsburg, not Tampa) Howl-O-Scream last year. Similar ideas, but from what I understand, Universal tends to go all out while BG's is more 80s B-Movie/SyFy Channel Horror Movie, which is to say, cheesy. This would be the year to do HHN though, with them having a Stephen King property for the first time, something Universal has been trying to get for years.

Halloween Horror Nights is fantastic. I have been two times, the second time I spent about two hours alone (friend went back to hotel). It was extremely scary as the scare actors would focus on you. I just wanted to give you heads up, but I totally recommend HHN if you can handle it.

Thanks everyone! I probably will go, Im still hoping Ill have a friend to join me, but if not Ill go alone and just soak in the atmosphere! Im a massive horror fan, so its always something Ive wanted to do but just havent been in Orlando for the right dates (I just missed it last year by a couple of days!) But yes if they have The Shining here this year that's surely a must see!

Thanks everyone! I probably will go, Im still hoping Ill have a friend to join me, but if not Ill go alone and just soak in the atmosphere! Im a massive horror fan, so its always something Ive wanted to do but just havent been in Orlando for the right dates (I just missed it last year by a couple of days!) But yes if they have The Shining here this year that's surely a must see!

So far only American Horror Story(Asylum, Coven, and Roanoke this year) and The Shining have been announced. Leads me to believe they are going the psychological or supernatural horror route for the theme. I am still on the fence for my travel dates because of the money. I will be attending MNSSHP so am having to look at my expenses before I buy a ticket.

I have also considered going to HHN solo, but not sure I would like it. I used to be a huge fan of horror (and Stephen King is my favorite!), but since I've become a mom it holds a bit less appeal. Still, I am a massive fan of Halloween in general and have never been to HHN. My girls will be 10 and 5 so they are too young, and my husband has never had any interest in horror movies or haunted houses, so they would stay at the resort if I decided to go. My trip is later than yours so won't be there when you are there, though.

I am not much of a drinker and don't love being around intoxicated people, and I much prefer the horror of ghosts and witches and supernatural experiences and aliens rather than slasher type horror, so MNSSHP is probably more my style. Nonetheless, I would love to experience HHN at least once.

Might be better to wait until my daughter is old enough and just have us both experience it together in a few years (although right now she is still scared of ET and refuses to watch it past the first 10 minutes :rotfl:, so I may still end up going alone).

I have also considered going to HHN solo, but not sure I would like it. I used to be a huge fan of horror (and Stephen King is my favorite!), but since I've become a mom it holds a bit less appeal. Still, I am a massive fan of Halloween in general and have never been to HHN. My girls will be 10 and 5 so they are too young, and my husband has never had any interest in horror movies or haunted houses, so they would stay at the resort if I decided to go. My trip is later than yours so won't be there when you are there, though.

I am not much of a drinker and don't love being around intoxicated people, and I much prefer the horror of ghosts and witches and supernatural experiences and aliens rather than slasher type horror, so MNSSHP is probably more my style. Nonetheless, I would love to experience HHN at least once.

Might be better to wait until my daughter is old enough and just have us both experience it together in a few years (although right now she is still scared of ET and refuses to watch it past the first 10 minutes :rotfl:, so I may still end up going alone).

This year is going to be more supernatural/psychological horror at HHN I think. I am not a fan of slasher types either, aside from Friday the 13th and Nightmare....you know, the classics. I have yet to commit because i want to see everything they offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!