Universal Orlando Reopened June 5th! CityWalk Reopened on May 14th

I just read that Universal is laying off an unspecified number of team members from parks and resorts division, and that like 7000 Disney cast members signed a petition not to open as planned. With the number of virus cases continuing to rise, might closures actually be a possibility again? Just looking for opinions, I know no one has a crystal ball.

It was mostly office and creative jobs, but still not good. That petition can be signed by anyone, it's not really employees, so I wouldn't read into it too much.

I just read that Universal is laying off an unspecified number of team members from parks and resorts division, and that like 7000 Disney cast members signed a petition not to open as planned. With the number of virus cases continuing to rise, might closures actually be a possibility again? Just looking for opinions, I know no one has a crystal ball.

The counties around where Disney and Universal are have fairly minimal cases still. The hardest hit areas are in South Florida. Those counties are driving the numbers. Just like in Texas the five biggest cities are driving Texas’ numbers.

I know people are saying Florida’s hospitalizations haven’t been going up much but Florida opened after Texas. Florida will be where Texas is in about two weeks. Florida will start seeing a spike in hospitalizations around July 4. Texas is experiencing a massive outbreak and is about two weeks from having hospitals overrun in their major cities.

For a day when we really weren’t going to go to the park we did a lot and at the most leisurely pace we have ever been. In the two and half hours we were in IOA we ended up riding Hagrids 3 times and a bunch of other rides in addition to eating a snack at fire eaters and having butter beer. It’s kid or surreal, almost a year ago we were here and it was packed and Hagrids was a 7 hour wait.

For a day when we really weren’t going to go to the park we did a lot and at the most leisurely pace we have ever been. In the two and half hours we were in IOA we ended up riding Hagrids 3 times and a bunch of other rides in addition to eating a snack at fire eaters and having butter beer. It’s kid or surreal, almost a year ago we were here and it was packed and Hagrids was a 7 hour wait.
We arrive in 3 weeks. Cannot wait!!!

Any word on Breadbox? It's a perfect takeout spot so I'm kind of shocked it's been closed so long.

Just wondering, those of you who have done Universal trips since the reopening, are you seeing many older adults in the parks (guess 60s+)? Would love to go back down in the early Fall, but just wanted to see if other olders were taking the plunge.

Just wondering, those of you who have done Universal trips since the reopening, are you seeing many older adults in the parks (guess 60s+)? Would love to go back down in the early Fall, but just wanted to see if other olders were taking the plunge.
We went last week and stayed onsite for a week. We are in our early 50’s. I must admit there were many more younger folks there then there was in our age group. We felt safe. Universal was doing a great job keeping everything sanitized. You were required to use hand sanitizer before every ride, seats were spaced out and you were never put with another party and the lines were doable. The hotel also did a wonderful job and the temp checks were fast and easy and the room was very clean. My only complaint was City Walk. The restaurants that we always go to in the past and have wonderful service at was not the case this time. We went to 3 different restaurants during our week there and every one of them was a disappointment. The service was terrible. At one we waited 15 minutes before asking a manager if we even had a server. There is no excuse for that. We gave up after the 3rd time and ate at the hotels or inside the park the rest of our trip. Inside the parks they were doing mobile ordering which they were having issues with so they just had one party at a time go up to order. It was definitely a different experience. Wearing masks wasn’t quite as bad as I anticipated but not exactly fun either. Would I do it again? Absolutely. We still had a good time. Just don’t expect things to be the same if you do decide to go.

Thanks so much, Laurie D. Hate that about the CityWalk service. Love most all those sit down restaurants.

We stayed at the Doubletree just across Kirkman Dr from City Walk for $65 per night last week. It was really nice and convenient especially for that price!
I wondered when was the last time you stayed there. I booked this Nov there (switching due to Aventura being closed) for a super good Hilton rate - reading some of the tripadvisor reviews has me slightly nervous now. I can change to book at CBBR but I liked the location of Doubltree much more - walking over to HRH and the parks/citywalk seems so much better than the buses. The people complaining about no buffet or room service I can ignore, it says everywhere due to Covid-19 these services aren't happening ...

I wondered when was the last time you stayed there. I booked this Nov there (switching due to Aventura being closed) for a super good Hilton rate - reading some of the tripadvisor reviews has me slightly nervous now. I can change to book at CBBR but I liked the location of Doubltree much more - walking over to HRH and the parks/citywalk seems so much better than the buses. The people complaining about no buffet or room service I can ignore, it says everywhere due to Covid-19 these services aren't happening ...
We were there in June. Let me know if you have any specific questions. We didn't eat there as we dined at City Walk.

I can change to book at CBBR but I liked the location of Doubltree much more - walking over to HRH and the parks/citywalk seems so much better than the buses. The people complaining about no buffet or room service I can ignore, it says everywhere due to Covid-19 these services aren't happening ...
That DT seems to always have great rates but that walk ugh.

JMHO admittedly, not A CB fan in general, but will say the bus service was very good when we stayed there 2 years ago. It was the only onsite properties with rooms available when we wanted to add onto our Then trip

FYI you wouldn’t get Hilton rewards, but the DT& CB have both been easily identifiable on Hotwire at great rates

That DT seems to always have great rates but that walk ugh.

JMHO admittedly, not A CB fan in general, but will say the bus service was very good when we stayed there 2 years ago. It was the only onsite properties with rooms available when we wanted to add onto our Then trip

FYI you wouldn’t get Hilton rewards, but the DT& CB have both been easily identifiable on Hotwire at great rates
I am mixed on the walk piece, but given the shorter park hours I figure we can explore HRH one or two nights after the park as we head back. And I am all for a quick Uber if need be. When we stayed at Aventura in Feb the first day we took the bus and it was fine minus the drop off and step into a CLUSTER of people at a security hub. We took the boats from SF the rest of the week.
It was $63 a night a night direct thru Hilton so I grabbed it knowing I can easily cancel if we change plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter