Universal Sapphire Falls Trip Report - April 2022

Enjoying this report very much! We (me/husband, plus our kids, 11 and 9) are headed during the third week of August, staying at the HRH for 4 days (cashing in accumulated Chase points).
Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful time, the HRH looks really nice and seemed like a great location! I hope to read about it!
Enjoying your trip report! Thanks so much for sharing :)
So the line at the Harry Potter ice cream place moved relatively quickly? DS really wants to stop there this time.
Thank you! Yes, it wasn't too bad, the line was wrapped around the side outside and it was almost exactly 15 minutes until we had our ice cream. They had a lot of people working and moved everyone through quickly. You should make the stop!

Bigfire & Voodoo Donuts

We had a great server at Bigfire, he spent a lot of time chatting with us.

We started with drinks. I ordered the PB&J old fashioned (Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon, St. George Raspberry Liquer). It was super strong but I could actually taste the peanut butter and the jelly. This is one for sipping slowly, I would order it again. Our server told us he had bought the ingredients to be able to make this one at home.

IMG_2286 v2.jpg

Pat ordered the Rosemary Salty Dog (Wheatley Vodka, grapefruit juice, rosemary, smoked salt). Our server described this as more adventurous but I would have called it mild. I liked this one too.

IMG_2285 v2.jpg

My (former) roommate ordered the Lakeside Punch (St. Augustine Vodka, orange, pineapple & cranberry juices). It was sweet and good, I would order that one myself next time.

We placed 2 orders of the bread service, which came with herbed butter and orange peach preserves. The butter was just okay, but the preserves were great.

IMG_2288 v2.jpg

We also ordered the Bourbon Cheese Fondue and Artichoke Oven Roasted Dip as appetizers to share. Both were really good, especially the cheese fondue with the crispy cauliflower! The cauliflower and cheese were probably my favorite part of the entire meal. The cauliflower was breaded and seasoned nicely.

IMG_2291 v2.jpg
IMG_2289 v2.jpg

I couldn’t decide what to order, so I convinced Pat to share the Peaches & Cream Salad with me so I could also order an entrée. It came with grilled peaches, burrata mozzarella, peach “gel”, baby kale, apricot brown sugar granola and a citrus vinaigrette. It was a really good salad, I ended up eating some of the bread with the salad as a topping.

IMG_2290 v2.jpg

For my entrée, I ordered the cauliflower steak. It said it came with shishito peppers, roasted vine tomatoes, warm farro salad, and charred tomato sauce. I asked our server about the sauce because I find that cauliflower steaks can be done really well with the right sauce, or they can be super bland (just a plate of cauliflower, often undercooked). He said it came with an eggplant sauce, so I decided to give it a try.

IMG_2294 v2.jpg

I would not order this again. It was very bland (except the burned bits which tasted charred), and the eggplant sauce underneath was too spicy for me. The farro salad was really bland too. I ate a few bites with the tomatoes and lemon juice, but it was just okay. Our server offered to talk to the manager to remove it from our ticket since I barely touched it, but since I ate a little, I told him I’d just take it to go, but could I add some kind of sauce in the to go box? He said all they had was salad dressings, so I went with ranch. Ranch makes everything better. I’d love to see them try frying the cauliflower like the crispy cauliflower that comes with the fondue, and/or add a better sauce to go with it. A true tomato sauce (not spicy) would have been great with this dish, or some kind of creamy herb dressing.

Pat ordered the salmon, which he said was alright. He had been planning to get a steak, but had one the night before. The potatoes that came with it were really bland too.

IMG_2295 v2.jpg

I didn’t get a picture of my roommate's meal, I think she ordered the grilled chicken. It came with herb dumplings, which were not only bland, but we all agreed were under-cooked. I don't remember what her husband ordered.

Overall, the restaurant had a nice atmosphere and great service, but we would only go back for drinks and appetizers. I filled up on the apps anyway, so the main dishes may not be necessary.

We wrapped up dinner around 10:15pm and decided to search for dessert somewhere else. We initially had our eyes on Voodoo Donuts, but the line was really long and mobile ordering was down (the guy working the mobile order pick-up stand said it was because they had gotten behind on orders). We decided to walk over to the Chocolate Emporium. I was excited for something chocolate, but the line there was really long too, out the door, so we decided to bail.

We landed on Cold Stone Creamery, which we have near us but my roommate’s family does not, so it was a special treat for them. I was initially sold on ice cream, but as we were walking over, I saw that Voodoo was back up for mobile ordering, so I changed my mind. We both put in donut orders and then got in line at Cold Stone. The 10 year old really wanted ice cream, and he was so patient with us all through dinner, he deserved the treat.

We waited probably 15-20 minutes for the ice cream. It was 11pm by this time, so I suggested we go check on our donuts even though the app didn’t say they were ready yet. I asked the woman standing at the door and she said I should go inside to see if my order was ready. Sure enough, it was ready, they were just missing the blueberry cake donut I had ordered and wanted to know what I wanted to replace it with (I went with classic glazed with chocolate icing). I also ordered a Guava Colada and Double Chocolate (my favorites) and Vegan PB&J and Peanut.

IMG_2300 v2.jpg

IMG_2302 v2.jpg

We stood by a planter while I sampled the donuts as my dessert. We were taking some group pictures when a cell phone started ringing on a ledge near us. We were looking around and didn’t see anyone claiming the phone. It said “Wifey” was calling, so we thought we’d answer it to let the wife know where her husband’s phone was. I didn’t realize it was a FaceTime call, so she was super confused when we answered the phone (in part because I had held it up to my ear to answer at first). Thankfully her husband showed up just a moment later to claim his phone!

We had initially talked about hanging out at our friend’s hotel when we went back, but it was almost midnight by the time we made it back to our hotel via the boat, and we were all exhausted, so we said our good-byes.

Just started reading your trip report in preparation for a trip in mid July. I love reading all about the Express Pass system and the rides, and the donuts look great! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Saturday

We slept in the next day, as planned. One of my best friends who I have known since first grade, who was also in town for the wedding, was staying at the same hotel. She texted me the night before to let me know she would need to leave to start getting ready for the wedding at 10:15am (she was a bridesmaid), but if I wanted to get together before then, to let her know.

I hadn’t seen her in years so wanted to make sure to see her before she left. I set my alarm for 9am just in case but woke up around 8:30am on my own and texted her about meeting at 9am.

We went to the Dutch Trading Co. for coffee and breakfast. The line was long and took forever to move, but it was great to be able to catch up while we waited. When I got to the front of the line, the worker clearly did not want to be there. I tried to order an egg and cheese wrap from the menu, but she told me the 3 options they had sitting out in the window display were the only things they had. I went with a spinach wrap with egg and veggies. I felt bad for the workers, but for the number of people they had working each day, I could not understand why service was so slow.

We sat in the lobby area with a view of the water while we ate and drank our coffee. No surprise, we completely lost track of time and chatted until 10:30am.

Pat was up when I got back to the room. I brought him some oatmeal and after he ate, we got changed to head to the pool. We made it around 11:30am. Most of the chairs near the pool and with umbrellas/shade were already taken, but we found 2 chairs side by side and settled in.

IMG_2313.JPG

I was reading Death in the Nile. It was nice and relaxing, and there were QR codes on the back of our chairs that we could have scanned to request service at our chairs.

We tried to get into the pool, but it was freezing cold! Someone told us Disney heats their pools but Universal does not. It was mid-80s so the weather was perfect. It got hot when the sun came out but there were also clouds passing by and a nice breeze. We decided to try the hot tub instead, which was perfect (though not too hot). There were a lot of kids playing in the hot tub, probably because the pool was way too cold.

We picked up a drink – we tried to order a beer for Pat and lemonade for me, but they only gave us the beer. They didn’t charge us for the lemonade though, so I decided to just skip it. We sat and chatted in the hot tub for awhile. A couple of kids were rough-housing and one did a cannonball into the hot tub. My mom voice came out and I said, “Oh, we don’t do cannonballs in the hot tub.” It was enough that his friend looked at me and climbed slowly back into the hot tub.

We headed back to our room to get ready for the wedding a little after 1pm. On the way back, the arcade caught our eye, and we stopped for a couple of games. We wanted to play each other in basketball, but two of the three machines were broken, and it turned out the third was as well (it didn’t keep score). We counted baskets and Pat blew me out of the water, but it was fun. We also played a Jurassic Park shooting game, and that ate up our $5 card.

After we used up our card we headed back to our room to get ready for the wedding.

Just started reading your trip report in preparation for a trip in mid July. I love reading all about the Express Pass system and the rides, and the donuts look great! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
Thanks for following along! I hope you have a great trip!

The Wedding

While the wedding isn’t part of Universal, I’ll include a bit here as it was really beautiful and the best part of our weekend!

The wedding ceremony was scheduled for 4:30pm at a venue about 10 minutes away from our resort. I wasn’t sure how long it would take to get an Uber and wanted to be sure we weren’t late, and also we thought we might meet up with a friend we hadn’t seen for awhile ahead of the ceremony, so we aimed to be ready and head to the lobby to order a car around 3:30pm.

IMG_2317v2.JPG

I ordered my dress from Rent the Runway, which worked out great! I actually received four dresses to try on and picked my favorite from those. I ordered my purse and earrings from Rent the Runway too.

The wedding was at an elegant space in the middle of a strip mall. Our Uber showed up in less than 2 minutes from when we ordered it and the drive was less than 10 minutes. Our Uber driver first asked if we were going to a Taco place next door! We arrived at 3:37pm.

We chatted with two of the bridesmaids outside before heading in to sit down. The bride and groom’s dog was part of the wedding party and was absolutely adorable!

IMG_2323 v2.JPG

It was a small and intimate wedding, about 40 people. The space was gorgeous and the wedding was just perfect.

IMG_2325.JPG

The dog rode down the aisle in a remote control vehicle, it was a unique and special moment to include him in that way, and I was so impressed he stayed in the vehicle for the trip down! I think the ring bearers were feeding him treats as they went.

The ceremony was followed by cocktails in the room next door while they switched the ceremony space into tables for dinner. This was a wedding for a high school friends so it was awesome to see some friends I had not seen in a very long time, including the maid of honor from my own wedding (who was a bridesmaid in this wedding).

IMG_2337 v2.JPG

Another unique part of this wedding was the champagne toast. They gave us glitter cotton candy to drop into the champagne before the toasts.

IMG_2344 v2.JPG

IMG_2349 v2.jpg

The cake and cupcakes were delicious too!

IMG_2332.JPG

We had so much fun at the reception. There was a little dancing and a whole lot of games! We played cards against humanity, giant Jenga and cornhole. The night was just perfect.

The venue closed around 11pm and we all headed to the bride and groom’s hotel for one more drink at the bar there before calling it a night and taking an Uber back to Sapphire Falls with another couple.

Sunday Brunch at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

Pat and I had originally made a Sunday brunch reservation at the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. The day before, my friend staying at Sapphire Falls had asked about our Sunday plans and said she and her husband would join us, so I had already changed the reservation to seat four of us. That Sunday morning I was pleasantly surprised to receive a text that the bride and groom were thinking about joining us, and they wanted to know if another couple could join us too. I was able to change our reservation to six online, but there was no option for eight.

I called the restaurant phone number to ask and was initially told we could not change to eight. I explained we were trying to make the change to accommodate a couple who had just gotten married the night before, and they offered to put me through to the restaurant directly but said I shouldn’t count on it. I was so grateful when the restaurant heard me out and confirmed they could accommodate all eight of us.

We took the boat from Sapphire Falls to City Walk, which was really convenient. We could see Toothsome from the water, it reminds me of Charlie’s Chocolate Factory.

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

We arrived at Toothsome before it had opened. We received a text that the fourth couple was not coming after all, so I had to tell the nice man who had agreed to accommodate the eight of us that it was going to just be six after all, but I assured him the bride and groom were still coming.

IMG_2400.JPG

The chocolates all looked so good! If we weren’t going to be walking around in the heat after brunch, I would have bought some to bring back with us. We were seated upstairs after a brief wait as the restaurant was opening.

IMG_2402.JPG

I was disappointed to learn that you cannot order a standard cup of coffee at Toothsome. Who serves brunch without coffee? The only caffeine option was espresso, so I ordered that.

We also ordered the Baked Brie en Croute for the table, which came with raspberry marmalade, fresh fruit, toasted almonds and chocolate almond bread. It was good, especially the brie with the fruit.

IMG_2406 v2.jpg

I ordered the broccoli cheddar quiche, served with fresh fruit and choice of side salad or soup. The only soup available was not vegetarian and I didn’t really want a salad for breakfast (is that weird? I was already getting some veggies with the broccoli…) so I asked the server if I could substitute the soup/salad for something else, and he let me sub for extra fruit. It was not listed on the menu, but the quiche came topped with a bechamel sauce which tasted mostly like flour.

IMG_2411 v2.jpg

The quiche was really good, probably did not need the sauce on top but I ate it all. Here was Pat's meal:

IMG_2408 v2.jpg

It was really nice to have extra time with my high school friends. At one point the robot who “owns” the restaurant came over to greet us.

IMG_2419 v2.jpg

I told him we were celebrating the newlyweds and he wished them well. I had no idea we’d be meeting a character here, it cracked me up a bit. Not quite the Disney character interaction but it added some flavor to the restaurant.

Mini Golf

After brunch we said goodbye to the newlyweds and went to play mini golf at the Hollywood Drive-In Golf course with the other couple. There were two themed options to pick from, either sci-fi or haunted golf. We could have played both for 36 holes but picked just the haunted side for just 18 holes.

IMG_2421 v2.jpg

It was so much fun! Some of the holes were difficult, but we all did pretty well (though I came in last place!). One spit water at us, which we had to try to avoid, and another blew air on me when I took my ball out of the hole. I think we all had at least one hole-in-one, which was fun.

IMG_2426.JPG

I would definitely play mini golf here again, the course was fun with themed music, and not too crowded. We were on our very last hole before the group behind us caught up to us, and we never had to wait for anyone ahead of us.

IMG_2434 v2.jpg

When we finished, we all were given scratch offs to potentially win something like a free game. Two of us won 20% off another round, so I gave those tickets to people walking up to play mini golf as we left. Also, there was a AAA discount, so be sure to ask about that if it’s relevant! I didn’t have my card on me but was able to show emails I’ve received recently from AAA, which they accepted. This was a fun outing, if it weren't so hot and we weren't on a time crunch, it would have been fun to play all 36 holes.

The Trip Home

We wrapped up golf around 2pm and headed back to the resort. We took a boat and were back before 2:30pm.

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

We had some time to burn before our flight, so we all stopped by the arcade at Sapphire Falls to play some games. We had a few rounds of Air Hockey, and Pat and the other couple played a long game of Jurassic Park. Once we had used up our arcade money, we headed up to the lobby.

IMG_2456 v2.jpg

My friend’s husband was tired so he said good-bye and went to nap, but we had another 30-45 minutes to chat with my friend until we had to call our Uber.

The trip home was uneventful. Our Uber came super fast (in about 1 minute) – we were picking up our luggage from the front desk, and after the guy was gone a few minutes, we figured we’d call the Uber so we could leave quickly as soon as our luggage came. We didn’t expect someone to show up in less than a minute! They were very patient as it took another 1-2 minutes for our luggage to arrive. The driver shared they had just driven someone almost 2 hours to get to our resort and he was going to pick up rides that were taking him back in the direction of home.

The airport was a bit of a mad house. We waited on the security line for 30-40 minutes (one of our longest waits of the weekend!) and there was a sign posted stating that the wait would take about that long. I was thankful we had planned to be at the airport early.

We picked up some dinner at Chipotle, then called our daughters while we sat in a less crowded area and ate quickly. It wasn’t long before we had to pack up to go board our flight.

IMG_2458 v2.jpg

It was the best weekend getaway we could have asked for, filled with a fun day at Universal, celebrating a good friend’s marriage, seeing best friends from both childhood and college that I hadn’t seen in many years, spending time with my husband, and was just all around good for the soul.

I missed our girls very much and felt a little guilty going somewhere so fun without them. To make it up to them, we took them to Disney this month. You can read about that trip here.

Thank you for following along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter