Universal/Sea World Visit

dtripli

DIS Veteran
Hi All
We are planning to visit Universal and Sea World sometime this spring and are looking for hotel recommendations. We would like a pool, outdoor bar/restaurant, resort type property/amenities. Any suggestions? It will be me, hubby and two older kids. We would like to book something asap as we know it is a busy time. I should mention that we are not interested in the Universal hotels and will probably be staying 5 nights....maybe doing a beach day.

Will you have a car? If so, I would look at one of the Sheraton Vistana properties or the Marriott Vacation properties. They are all nice and have beautiful properties and lots of space for older children.

The timeshare condos as some have suggested are really nice. We've done many stays at the Sheraton Vistana Resort and it's been a while, but have done some of the other Marriott timeshares too (They always get great reviews) Any of the timeshares will offer more space, balconies or nice patios (something I really like that suite hotels don't offer), and have a great resort feel with more amenities than resort hotels. The Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld is another nice timeshare we have stayed at on top of the ones already mentioned that is even walking distance to SeaWorld. Also, closer to Universal, we have stayed at the Sunshine resort (another very nice timeshare condo). The timeshare condos IMHO are going to feel more luxurious than suite hotels and are super spacious -- really great option if you are traveling with a large group of people. The best deals on these that I have found is when I do a Fri. - Fri., Sat. - Sat., or Sun. - Sun. rental from a timeshare owner on sites like Redweek.com or TUG2.net classified ads section. Most do retail rentals too (just like a hotel stay), but you will pay more for sure.

If you end up doing a hotel rather than one of those (for shorter stays - like your five night stay, I often for the ease of booking and breakfast included (very convenient if my stay is going to be pretty short without a big grocery store run and I don't have a big extended family group where I really want a balcony and larger common areas), a favorite of mine that I am staying at again for two nights before a cruise out of Port Canaveral in February is the Marriott Residence Inn SeaWorld. I am getting a two bedroom / two bath that has a small common area, table chairs, and kitchen. It includes a pretty nice breakfast. They have shuttles, but I almost always do uber or a rental car for convenience. They have a bar that also does casual dinner options, which is great if you don't want to go out for dinner after a busy park day. The pool area and nice large hot tub are very nice with palm trees and a resort feel. They also (not that you would really need this, but nice perk) provide fast passes for SeaWorld coasters and attractions other than animal exhibits (one per person in your party per day). You just ask for these at the concierge the evening before or morning of any days you are doing SeaWorld (great park!). The Marriott Residence Inn SeaWorld is an older hotel property that very recently went under a remodel, that I think was well done (rooms are cute). Even, though, on my next mini two night stay I am not even doing SeaWorld and am only doing a Disney day, I am staying here again. I looked at tons of different suite hotels and short stay condo options and thought this is my best bet for what I was looking for (anal vacation planner). This one has two queens in one bedroom and a king, so your kids would each get their own bed that is not a pull out if you went with the two bedroom option. I love having the kitchen for teens and twenty somethings who in our family like heating up left overs, snacks, etc. in the evening.

Last edited:
Hi All
We are planning to visit Universal and Sea World sometime this spring and are looking for hotel recommendations. We would like a pool, outdoor bar/restaurant, resort type property/amenities. Any suggestions? It will be me, hubby and two older kids. We would like to book something asap as we know it is a busy time. I should mention that we are not interested in the Universal hotels and will probably be staying 5 nights....maybe doing a beach day.
The Gaylord palms property is a full service resort and would check all your boxes. It is a little bit further away than other resorts but worth it imo. Maybe 20-40 min away from those parks depending on i4 traffic (if there is no traffic it’s a 15-20 min drive)

Wow...so many great options. Thank you all for your input. I was looking at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld and Kathy884 mentioned it as well; so I think that I am going to make a Ressie!

Wow...so many great options. Thank you all for your input. I was looking at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld and Kathy884 mentioned it as well; so I think that I am going to make a Ressie!
HA! Scratch that...they don't seem to have anything to suit us room wise...so the search continues...

Will you have a car? If so, I would look at one of the Sheraton Vistana properties or the Marriott Vacation properties. They are all nice and have beautiful properties and lots of space for older children.
We will have our car with us. We have stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort years ago and liked it. I can't remember location though. I know there is a Sheraton Vistana Villages as well. Do you happen to know the differences if any? And which is closer to Universal Studios?

Several years ago when we did a Universal trip, we stayed at Vista Cay. It was close to the park and other activities. Our unit was really nice.

Hi All

Do you have a budget in mind? Is there are reason you don't want to stay in a universal hotel for a trip to universal? They are excellent properties and with all the amenities you are requesting.

For short trips on a budget, we often stay at Drury Inn. They offer lots of free food and some drinks, which also adds to the savings.

They do have a pool, but they don't have over-the-top features like the universal resorts.

We will have our car with us. We have stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort years ago and liked it. I can't remember location though. I know there is a Sheraton Vistana Villages as well. Do you happen to know the differences if any? And which is closer to Universal Studios?

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas is larger and closer to the Disney Springs area. Sheraton Vistana Villages a smaller property is on International Drive and closer to the SeaWorld/Discovery Cove area. They are both about 15 min from Universal using I-4.

There are threads for both properties here on DISBoards:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread-key-links-on-p-1.3148502/https://www.disboards.com/threads/sheraton-vistana-villages-your-reviews-tips-ratings.2854036/

Look into seaworld vacations, we got a week hotel (Marriott residence ) 4 unlimited seaworld/auqutica tickets all you can dine for 2 adults 2 children for $1000 then we got one night at lowes hard rock off priceline for the express pass for around $500 for one night. But we used the express pass for two days. We only used the hotel mid day for a little rest. We did not want to move our stuff.
The vacation before that we used costco vacations stayed at Sheraton vistana and went to Disney. Its a great resort especially for the price. Costco has good deals.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!