Universal Strategy for 12/25-26 with EP

RandyMF

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, newbie here! I've been reading through the Universal forums to get ready for our first trip there (12/25-26) with my husband and tween son (huge HP fan). So much wonderful information, I am truly grateful :worship:

I'm hoping for some touring advice for our trip... We are staying onsite at RPR because my husband doesn't like going to parks (mainly due to long lines and heat) so I'm hoping the December weather and EP from the hotel will keep him in a fairly good mood. That's also why we're limiting to 2 days even though my son and I would love to go for an extra day or two.

Anyhoo, I know this is a super busy time of year and (of course) we are hoping to do it all, especially HP. Considering we have the EP and two days of early hours, any recommendations on the touring plan? Anything from ride order to rides/shows that definitely shouldn't be missed given there's so much going on.

I did look at the touring plans available on UT, but I thought this group may have some personal recommendations and insights for maximizing during the holiday season with an onsite stay.

Thanks for your help! :thanks:

Well, you know it’s going to be rammed. Some folks have posted in the past they were surprised how busy it was over the holidays.......lol......So get there early since you have 2 days.

With EP it’ll make a huge difference to your trip, you’ll be glad of it. Rides like Despicable Me always has a long queue and you may find the EP line could be long too. We see 90 minutes regular line waits and we still get on in less than 15 minutes, that’s the longest we’ve ever waited for that ride, it’s usually less. But with the massive Christmas crowds you could see a longer wait.

Potter will just be busy. Really busy.

You may want to make a dinner reservation and restaurants will be extremely busy too. I never look at touring plans or historic wait times, don’t find them very helpful as every year could be different from previous one......

I hope you have a wonderful trip though.......the EP will help and the hotel is gorgeous so hope your husband has a lovely time too.

Are you looking to maximize rides/shows in general, or the HP experience? Either way, best-laid plans are flexible!

I will be there 12/25-27 and also staying at RPR, but my plan is to focus more on rides/shows with a hint of HP. My plan for 12/25 EE is USF for Despicable Me & Gringotts, then either continue to hit up USF rides like Transformers & Simpsons, or more likely take the HE to Hogsmeade IOA and ride Forbidden Journey, Skull Island, Spider-Man, etc. We'll see what we can accomplish on 12/25.

However, if you want to maximize your HP experience and you have two days EE, then I recommend visiting each WWoHP area on separate days so you can visit them first thing in the morning when the crowds are at their lowest, then explore the rest of the parks. Keep in mind that both USF and IOA will have EE during your stay. Typically it's just one park per day for EE, but during the latter part of December both parks are available for EE. Also, during really busy times, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley can get full to capacity and they won't let park-goers enter; I believe they hand out time to return tickets. You may also want to arrive no later than 30 or even 45 minutes before rope drop even with EE since it's Christmas.

Some highlights of Diagon Alley are the Carkitt Market shows with Tales of Beedle the Bard; shops and the Gringotts Money Exchange; Forbidden Journey; Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour for frozen Butterbeer; and Leaky Cauldron for lunch or dinner.

As for Hogsmeade, Dervish and Banges to buy a wand or other wizard supplies; Honeydukes for chocolate frogs and cauldron cakes; Three Broomsticks for lunch or dinner and the adjoining Hog's Head Pub; and Forbidden Journey and Hippogriff. Don't forget Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle which usually starts at 7pm, then every 20 minutes.

Both areas have Olivander's which is also a must for a HP fan, however, Diagon Alley USF has more capacity and will likely have less of a wait. If you decide to eat at Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks, it's advisable to go during off-peak hours, I'm guessing at exactly 11am or around 3pm or 8pm? Both are quick-service and reservations are not taken.

With EE and EP, you are armed with everything to help you with this extremely busy time. That EP will significantly help you maximize your time during those two days. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Also, during really busy times, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley can get full to capacity and they won't let park-goers enter; I believe they hand out time to return tickets.

Can Express Pass holders bypass this? Typically at what time will it start getting so crowded that this happens? 10 a.m.? 1 p.m.?

I would get there as early as possible. Take advantage of the morning hours to go straight to the HP lands. Stay here until it starts getting crowded, and then venture out. You can come back to those areas at night (and for meals, because we eat as many meals as possible in The Leaky Cauldron and the Three Broomsticks).

I think I would love to be at Universal for Christmas Day (I've been there near Christmas, but not on the actual day). I think I'll add that to my bucket list.

Can Express Pass holders bypass this? Typically at what time will it start getting so crowded that this happens? 10 a.m.? 1 p.m.?
From what I researched, EP doesn't get you in when park locations hit capacity. In addition, taking Hogwarts Express from one WWoHP to the other also does not allow you in the park. It's also not really possible in advance to know when park locations would close due to hitting capacity. Once capacity hits, it appears the park can offer a Return Ticket or for park-goers to wait in a queue... sometimes both options are available or just one of the options, but likely the Return Ticket.

All this just shows that EE and being flexible during Christmas is key to enjoying Hogsmeade and DA.... knowing some light yoga and deep breathing doesn't hurt either. :cloud9:

Thank you for all the replies. This is so helpful!

I had been focused on the ride lines with EP and hadn't thought much about the massive crowds for just walking around. I may need to plan on some downtown for my husband. On the first day, we could take an afternoon break at the hotel pool and then come back for more after an early dinner. For the second day, I may need an in park option for a break. Any recommendations for a place within the parks to chill out for an hour away from large crowds?

Also, we'll definitely take the advice of using EE to visit HP areas in the morning and thank you for all the HP show, shop and food recommendations. I'm so excited for this trip :yay:

For the second day, I may need an in park option for a break. Any recommendations for a place within the parks to chill out for an hour away from large crowds?

Get online and book lunch at Mythos at IOA. Its a great place to decompress while being serve a great meal.

I had been focused on the ride lines with EP and hadn't thought much about the massive crowds for just walking around. I may need to plan on some downtown for my husband. On the first day, we could take an afternoon break at the hotel pool and then come back for more after an early dinner. For the second day, I may need an in park option for a break. Any recommendations for a place within the parks to chill out for an hour away from large crowds?

Also, we'll definitely take the advice of using EE to visit HP areas in the morning and thank you for all the HP show, shop and food recommendations. I'm so excited for this trip :yay:

The two dates you are going will be slammed in the parks.
If you want down time, do a late lunch after 1:30 and use that as down time while in the parks.

Make a dinner reservation at City Walk but avoid setting the dinner time when the parks close.
City Walk will have huge crowds once the parks are closed.
Many will explore CW at that time.

I have no idea if there will be restrictions of re-entering the park if it is full.
Think once you are there during the day, you could always ask at guest services if it is possible they will close admission to the park if it hits
capacity
And, the policy for you to be readmitted into the park if you leave to take a break at your hotel.

I have no idea if there will be restrictions of re-entering the park if it is full.
Think once you are there during the day, you could always ask at guest services if it is possible they will close admission to the park if it hits
capacity
And, the policy for you to be readmitted into the park if you leave to take a break at your hotel.

Thanks macraven. I hadn't even thought about the parks reaching capacity and not allowing re-entering. I'll be sure to check before taking a break at the hotel.

Get online and book lunch at Mythos at IOA. Its a great place to decompress while being serve a great meal.

Thanks christophfam for the Mythos recommendation. Menu looks great! I made a reservation for our second day.

Thanks macraven. I hadn't even thought about the parks reaching capacity and not allowing re-entering. I'll be sure to check before taking a break at the hotel.

Please report back! We're going at Spring Break, the prices (hotels and EPs) are the same, and I'm wondering if we are headed for the same possibility. I'm hoping for a tick or two lower.

We like Animal Actors for a break from the hustle and bustle. Cute show, you can go in for maybe 15 minutes before the start to just sit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!