Universal Studios Tour

mystic_path

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever taken the Universal Studios Tour? How long is it? Ive seen all of Universal but was stupid enough not to go on the tour. I was hoping to catch it this time around in June.

Do you mean the backlot tram tour? If so, it is about 45 minutes long and the line can get kind of long to get on if there is a big crowd.

I would definately go on the tour. It is the biggest difference between the Hollywood park and the one in Florida. You get to see some of the old backlot areas where they have actually filmed (and still are filming) movies. Sure you just roll on past a lot of sound studios where they tell you that current TV shows are being filmed and don't really see anything at least you get the feel that it is a truly working studio and not just the theme park - like USF or Disney MGM.

Hi Mystic
The studio tour is what sets USH apart from Florida (USF and Disney Studio)
It is an active studio with real sets. We were able to drive down Wysteria(sp?) lane for Des Housewives and it made the trip for our family.
Do not miss it!!!!

Drew

The Studio Tour is 45 minutes, and runs continuously throughout the day.

Woody

The studio tour is what sets USH apart from Florida (USF and Disney Studio). It is an active studio with real sets.
Exactly. Don't forget the town square from Back To The Future. Very recognizable.

The ordinary (in with your ticket) studio tour is exactly what people have said. However, I'd HIGHLY recommend the V.I.P. tour (esp. if you're a movie buff and are willing to pay the extra bucks) and you get to see everything on the normal studio tour plus much MUCH more!!!!!

And you get reserved seating at all the shows and then you can use your pass to get FOTL on all the rides for the rest of the day after you're done with your tour. And if you want, i.e. if you've seen the shows before and don't wanna necessarily see them again, then youcan just do the tour portion of the tour (first thing you do) then leave and use your FOL for even longer!! ;)

LOVE your new siggy btw. VERY nice. Technique-wise anyways, can't say I'm a princess fan. Lol.

Exactly. Don't forget the town square from Back To The Future. Very recognizable.

Seeing the town square from BTTF was one of the things I was really looking forward to. I did the tram tour in 86, about a year after the movie came out and it was still exactly like it was in the movie. However, we went in Oct of last year, we did not see the town square or the clock tower. I was really bummed that this is no longer part of the tour (or it wasnt part of the tour the day we went). I spent the whole time looking for it. When the tour was over, i felt like crying (BTTF is my favorite movie and we had watched it a couple of times right before the trip in anticipation of seeing the square.)

CaliforniaDreamin said:
Seeing the town square from BTTF was one of the things I was really looking forward to. I was really bummed that this is no longer part of the tour (or it wasnt part of the tour the day we went). I spent the whole time looking for it. When the tour was over, i felt like crying (BTTF is my favorite movie and we had watched it a couple of times right before the trip in anticipation of seeing the square.)
Are you sure you didn't see it? It doesn't look anything like it used to these days... it's had a complete makeover and is now the town square from the Ghost Whisperer.

Doesn't look like this anymore:
UniversalStreet3(1955-smaller).JPG

Now, looks like this:
GWSquare.jpg

GWmemorial.jpg

That might have been why you didn't spot it? They do normally mention it though.

Could have been that it was bypassed due to filming too though. It's a shame that it doesn't look anything like it used to. I'm not as big of a fan of the BTTF movies as you are, but it was nice to see the original town square you know and love from the movies and ride. Things change on a day-to-day basis there though. They have to in that kind of business... think of it as being a whole new experience each time you go. That's what I do. ;)

Are you sure you didn't see it? It doesn't look anything like it used to these days... it's had a complete makeover and is now the town square from the Ghost Whisperer.

Doesn't look like this anymore:
UniversalStreet3(1955-smaller).JPG

Now, looks like this:
GWSquare.jpg

GWmemorial.jpg

That might have been why you didn't spot it? They do normally mention it though.

Could have been that it was bypassed due to filming too though. It's a shame that it doesn't look anything like it used to. I'm not as big of a fan of the BTTF movies as you are, but it was nice to see the original town square you know and love from the movies and ride. Things change on a day-to-day basis there though. They have to in that kind of business... think of it as being a whole new experience each time you go. That's what I do. ;)

I can't see your pictures :confused3 Thanks anyway!
I bet you are right about it being closed for filming. If the clock tower still looks remotely like the same building, I would have spotted it. Like I said, I kept my eyes WIDE open the whole time. I'm glad to know it's still in existance, I assumed it had been demolished. Oh well, maybe we can go back one day!

Well yes, I saw that town square part. The tour guide said it was changed a bit from the bttf movie. But, I was able to still make it out. Op, I was just there on Saturday, it was my first visit to Universal Hollywood. I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I am an avid Universal Florida fan. But, I must say even though Universal hollywood, does not have all the extra rides, it still has some fun to it. I say take the tour, and definately if you are able visit waterworld, and the house of horrors. Those attractions, stuck out in my mind. Anyway, enjoy your vacation!!

I can't see your pictures :confused3 Thanks anyway!
I bet you are right about it being closed for filming. If the clock tower still looks remotely like the same building, I would have spotted it. Like I said, I kept my eyes WIDE open the whole time. I'm glad to know it's still in existance, I assumed it had been demolished. Oh well, maybe we can go back one day!
Oh sorry! Here they are again...

ushtownsquarebttfcq4.jpg

It might as well have been demolished. It's almost unrecognisable:

ushtownsquare001yt6.jpg

ushtownsquare002mo8.jpg

What a shame, huh?! :sad2:

I must say even though Universal hollywood, does not have all the extra rides, it still has some fun to it. I say take the tour, and definately if you are able visit waterworld, and the house of horrors. Those attractions, stuck out in my mind.
What about the rides on the lower lot? JPRA and ROTM ROCK!!!!!!!! ;)

How was the new House of Horrors? I've obviously only seen pics so far but from what I've seen, it doesn't look that great. Blatantly adding rust effects to the old Fortress Dracula facade and changing the inside slightly doesn't make a new attraction to me. But there you go... that's Universal for ya. They've had the Wild West theatre sitting there vacant for how many years now?!? :rolleyes:

How did you find it though [the House of Horrors]? I hope I'm not too disappointed when I get to experience it next summer. :)

Ok, well for the house of horrors. My perception of it, is coming from a first time visitor to Universal Hollywood! I have never been. I went on Saturday, and saw all the attractions it had to offer. Maybe, I am bias to the house of horrors, because I am a horror movie fan. And Universal Orlando, has nothing like that, as an attraction{Of course they have a special halloween event every year.But, not a attraction horror house, which is open all year). Ok, so basically to sum up the house of horrors, it is like a haunted house walk through, with some scareactors, who jump out at you on certain sets. During the walk through. It reminded me of a haunted house walkthrough at halloween horror nights. I was scared. Because, they only let in about 7 of us in at a time. And someone let thier 5, and 7 year old go through alone, and they were in back of me holding onto my waist. So, I let them go ahead of me, and then I was the last in line. It really creeped me out. But, it was fun!

Jurassic Park, does have a slight edge over the one I always get to visit in Orlando. But, the Mummy, which is my favorite ride in Orlando, it is not as good. The que line is very good in hollywood,(specifically the worshipper to the mummy on the tv screen) but the ride, is not as long, or as intense. When I visit Universal Orlando, I ride the mummy at least 8-10 times, and I still want more. I only rode Hollywood' twice, and felt a bit let down. I don't know. I guess, everyone has opinions, and we all know how that goes. But, anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip! I know I did!

The ordinary (in with your ticket) studio tour is exactly what people have said. However, I'd HIGHLY recommend the V.I.P. tour (esp. if you're a movie buff and are willing to pay the extra bucks) and you get to see everything on the normal studio tour plus much MUCH more!!!!!

And you get reserved seating at all the shows and then you can use your pass to get FOTL on all the rides for the rest of the day after you're done with your tour. And if you want, i.e. if you've seen the shows before and don't wanna necessarily see them again, then youcan just do the tour portion of the tour (first thing you do) then leave and use your FOL for even longer!! ;)
Agreed! ::yes:: It was awesome!

Ok, well for the house of horrors. My perception of it, is coming from a first time visitor to Universal Hollywood! I have never been. I went on Saturday, and saw all the attractions it had to offer. Maybe, I am bias to the house of horrors, because I am a horror movie fan. And Universal Orlando, has nothing like that, as an attraction{Of course they have a special halloween event every year.But, not a attraction horror house, which is open all year). Ok, so basically to sum up the house of horrors, it is like a haunted house walk through, with some scareactors, who jump out at you on certain sets. During the walk through. It reminded me of a haunted house walkthrough at halloween horror nights. I was scared. Because, they only let in about 7 of us in at a time. And someone let thier 5, and 7 year old go through alone, and they were in back of me holding onto my waist. So, I let them go ahead of me, and then I was the last in line. It really creeped me out. But, it was fun!

Jurassic Park, does have a slight edge over the one I always get to visit in Orlando. But, the Mummy, which is my favorite ride in Orlando, it is not as good. The que line is very good in hollywood,(specifically the worshipper to the mummy on the tv screen) but the ride, is not as long, or as intense. When I visit Universal Orlando, I ride the mummy at least 8-10 times, and I still want more. I only rode Hollywood' twice, and felt a bit let down. I don't know. I guess, everyone has opinions, and we all know how that goes. But, anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip! I know I did!
Sounds interesting. Exactly what Van Helsing: Fortress Dracula was but differently themed. I should imagine the layout is pretty much (if not EXACTLY) the same as it was before. I'll more than likely like it but I just feel a bit let down when you finally experience a so called ALL NEW ride or attraction and it's a glorified version of what it replaced. If they stick to letting around 7 people in at a time though it'll make it a lot better. I've only every experienced Fortress Dracula in the height of the summer season when they just let a continuation of people in and everyone seems to form a chain. It's pointless because no matter whether you've been in before or have never been in, you know where the scares are going to be because the people in front will of course react. It just ruins the experience IMO. Universal really need to stick to letting small groups in at a time.

As for The Mummy, I'm still yet to ride the Orlando version. But I already know it's better. Friends and family who have been since it opened have said how great it is and I just wanna ride it. I do like the Hollywood version but I know it's total rubbish compared to the UOR version. Seems a bit of a waste really but hey.

I'm sure to have a great trip... always do. It's impossible not to. I LOVE Universal!!!!! :thumbsup2

We did the VIP tour and would do it again if it were not so expensive. We had an excellent guide and spent the whole day going everywhere a lot of people just do not get the chance to see. ABSOLUTELY GREAT>

Jackpirate:

We did the backlot tram tour a couple years ago. Family of 6, high school, college and parents, we all though it was so boring. But you have to do it otherwise you'll run out of things to do with your day, becuase there's not a whole lot to do there!

We did the backlot tram tour a couple years ago. Family of 6, high school, college and parents, we all though it was so boring. But you have to do it otherwise you'll run out of things to do with your day, becuase there's not a whole lot to do there!

Thats what I found with the park too, there just wasnt a whole lot to do. Everything that I really wanted to see was in Florida. I just figured that they would have more attractions that appealed to me then they did. I found spending most of my day on the city walk much more entertaining. Either way Im gonna take my dad cause hes never been and I know he will have a ball there.

As for the tour, is that your in a cart and you stay seated, or can you get out in some locations and walk around?

Yes, on the Backlot Tour you sit in your tram from beginning to end. There are no stops to get out. You go through some set pieces where they do some effects - like going through a building and basically doing the Earthquake ride in Florida and there is a Jaws encounter but otherwise you just keep moving.

The tour is my favorite part of Universal! I haven't been in a few years but always enjoyed it, though some trips can be better then others depending on the film schedule. The good and bad part about Universal CA is that because of the filming that is going on you sometimes see extra cool stuff or miss out on stuff.

The fun part though is when you see something film and later figure out what it is! My friends were extras on POTC 2 and they filmed at Universal, when on break a tram came by and lots of people on the tour got pictures of them in full costume. I bet they were excited when they found out that is what was filming that day.

But I do miss Battlestar Glactica.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter