Universal Walking Dead Walkthrough... Jump Scares?

helenb

Wishing for the World...
I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead, but I *hate* haunted houses. Not because of the visuals, but because of the jump scares. I just don't like people sneaking up behind me or jumping out at me. It really causes my heart to leap and it's not fun for me.

That being said, I'd love to go through the Walking Dead attraction and see everything (I don't mind the gore or the animatronics, or people dressed as walkers as long as they are obvious and not 'hiding') but I'm reluctant to do so if there will be scare-actors jumping out at me. Can anyone who has been through the attraction let me know how intense it is from that aspect? Is there anything I can do or wear that would let the scare-actors know not to surprise me?

Thanks for the advice...

I've only been thru it once but I don't remember any of the actors jumping out to scare people.

They send you in groups. About 1/3 of the walkers are hidden and will pop out as you pass, but they're not allowed to touch you or get very close. There's way for them not to surprise you, if they don't pop up you'll see them when you round corners or pass objects anyway. Plus the whole group experiences it together, they're not looking for someone wearing the special "don't surprise" alert.

Thanks. What I'm trying to avoid is that whole 'haunted house' experience. Like the scare-actors in the queue for the Kong ride at Universal Orlando.

I had a teenage girl in front of me, not in my family, and she was freaking out. At one point, she screamed and actually grabbed me, and that startled and scared me more than the actors. She apologized afterwards.

As the previous poster said, they send you in groups. If you happen to be in front of this group, it is likely you will be startled or scared when the actor reaches or walks toward you.

They will never get too close or touch you.

I haven't been to USO. You wind through a building on a marked path. There are points where there is a doorway or stairs someone could be under or other scenery that it's fairly obvious someone is going to pop out in front of you, wave their arms and grunt. It's loud and there are flashing lights and lots of things to distract you, but I still thought it was easy enough to tell. There are also CMs spaced periodically to make sure you don't touch them.

Thanks, guys! So it sounds like if I stay in the back of the group (but don't lag) I should be okay. That's good to know!

It's your standard theme park haunted house so they will be jumping/popping out (I hate that stuff too) but they can't touch you and if you stay in the middle of your group you'll probably be okay.

I went on it with my teenage daughters about 5 times when it first came out. As mentioned, they can't touch you and you can back away from them when you see them. There is only one that walks around quite a bit. Most are behind cages, fences etc and mainly paw at you, and some behind glass that pop out and hit the glass. Ironically the most scared my girls got was from a security guard in one of the dark sections, lol. IMO the best part is the hospital/waiting queue witht he voice over and music etc. They did a great job building up the suspense!

I wouldn't be at the back of the group.

Dh was startled by someone near him that he thought was another tourist but turned out to be a zombie.

I don't think it's scary at all and I'm the biggest chicken. Lol. I think when they had Van Helsing that was scary and more like a real haunted house. This is a mild version of a haunted walk through. Nothing like real haunted house and a very short walk. Btw I don't do haunted houses anymore. Its way too scary for me.

Just reporting back that I went through the TWD experience and there were zero jump scares. I was able to see all of the walkers easily (maybe because I was looking out for them) and while they did 'come' for me, they moved slowly and since I knew they couldn't touch me, I was okay. My friend was freaked out, but she grabbed onto me and it worked for her as well. I don't think she'd do it again though, even though she's a big TWD fan! But if I ever go back to USH, I will definitely do it again.

It probably depends. My husband and I each went through it, but separately (one had to stay with our kids). I loved it. Cool costumes! They do reach out for you and it seems like they come close but no one touches you. I think I screamed once as one of them startled me. My husband though returned quick. He said it was a bit too intense for him and he asked one of the workers along the way for an exit. (But he's a fan of Walking Dead but not a fan of haunted houses and such.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!