Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

Just a passing comment. I got notification this morning from Lyft that due to the impending heatwave in my area, they are providing 2 free rides to cooling centers in several cities in my area, one of which is mine, as we are the County seat. I think that's extremely awesome! Hopefully - unless my power goes out - I won't need it, but wanted to put some positive energy and thankfulness into the Universe for them.

@superme80 - Sitting here, thinking of you, and our recent mosquito bite conversation., Got bitten by one about 4-5 days ago - it will swell WAY up, itch like HECK, then go away, so I think it's gone, or at lest getting better Then the cycle will repeat, like it just did. I hope the little sucker drank so much of my blood he (or I think maybe only the females bite, not sure, too hot for me to Google right now - LOL) exploded in a fit of gluttony. :mad:

@superme80 - Sitting here, thinking of you, and our recent mosquito bite conversation., Got bitten by one about 4-5 days ago - it will swell WAY up, itch like HECK, then go away, so I think it's gone, or at lest getting better Then the cycle will repeat, like it just did. I hope the little sucker drank so much of my blood he (or I think maybe only the females bite, not sure, too hot for me to Google right now - LOL) exploded in a fit of gluttony. :mad:
Awe I'm sorry. Mosquitoes suck!!! Literally!!! LOL I've killed them mid suck and have had the joys of watching my blood squirt out. So gross!!! I hope it feels better soon!!!

Awe I'm sorry. Mosquitoes suck!!! Literally!!! LOL I've killed them mid suck and have had the joys of watching my blood squirt out. So gross!!! I hope it feels better soon!!!
Thanx, my friend. Actually - Cortisone 10 is my friend right now. ::yes:: But here on the BOARDS, it's YOU! :lmao:

We are lucky that we did not get mosquito bites too much this year despite seeing saucer size ones and smaller (lot of spider webs under windows and stairway. I did scream tonight after seeing an over 4 inch water bug in the bathroom--time to get the exterminator scheduled (our part is like $2 a month in the breakdown apartment stuff).

I am having a headache all last night into today from the downstairs apartment--loud tv/walking/screaming 2 and 4 year old before midnight plus their folks arguingat 3:45 am till 430 am...could hear words more than usual. It as bad enough that hearing them doing fireworks near the building...I open the patio door and said in a loud voice--Whoever is doing the fireworks...cut it out or I call the cops"...some of their loud patio door slams pus stomping for ten minutes before it was "quiet for 45 minutes. It is hard with all that stuff, but trying to cut them a break with the high temps (hoping for the best).

I'm not sure that if we want to renew this lease yet. we can put with stuff for a little longer. We want better amenities in the next one.

I had watch a lot of science stuff plus scifi to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. I miss going to the Air and Space Museum in DC (I sort of have memories when it was brand new...now it is under going massive renovation until 2025. The Smithsonian website had a lot of links of what is in various collection (Michael Collins was a big part of that museum in the 70s/80s). He donated a lot of interesting items including Apollo 11 pineapple fruitcake freeze dried dessert that they did not eat. :)
I did buy the limited moon theme Oreo that I controlled my portions to have while watching some of the Apollo stuff.

I have to figure out our streaming budget for the CBS streaming service for the various Star Trek stuff plus the Disney one when it comes along.

We are lucky that we did not get mosquito bites too much this year despite seeing saucer size ones and smaller (lot of spider webs under windows and stairway. I did scream tonight after seeing an over 4 inch water bug in the bathroom--time to get the exterminator scheduled (our part is like $2 a month in the breakdown apartment stuff).

I am having a headache all last night into today from the downstairs apartment--loud tv/walking/screaming 2 and 4 year old before midnight plus their folks arguingat 3:45 am till 430 am...could hear words more than usual. It as bad enough that hearing them doing fireworks near the building...I open the patio door and said in a loud voice--Whoever is doing the fireworks...cut it out or I call the cops"...some of their loud patio door slams pus stomping for ten minutes before it was "quiet for 45 minutes. It is hard with all that stuff, but trying to cut them a break with the high temps (hoping for the best).

I'm not sure that if we want to renew this lease yet. we can put with stuff for a little longer. We want better amenities in the next one.
SO sorry you're going through the noise issue, @NC Belle . I can TOTALLY relate - had one here for the first 18 months. It was 2 tenants, back to back, above me, and a third underneath. All eventually ended up being evicted, of course AFTER I agreed to move to a more expensive apartment on the top floor, and after they had all trashed their apartments, according to management. I had to call management and police numerous times. Which is not me at all, I never want to be "that guy", but I was forced to be. Even my friends were all worried about me, due to lack of sleep, and not wanting to ever go home, not knowing what I'd find. Yes, my now-apartment is more expensive,but at least it's a lot more quiet, and I thank God I did it this past December!!! Hope some resolution happens for you. I know the constant noise/stress/sleep deprivation was making all of my ongoing health issues worse, for sure!! :(

Last edited:
This week has been a mixed one. Hot and miserable for the tempatures supposedly my air conditioning is working but it feels crazy hot in my house so meals are what we can heat up in the microwwave or in a slow cooker and occasinally on a burner on top of the stove. Spent Monday and Tuesday starting on the major cleaning that my house needs-mainly decluttering at this point. Overdid it with my fibro so now I am laid up. Relief and anger over the final solving of a murder in my area https://www.theepochtimes.com/monta...-year-old-miranda-fenner-in-1998_3014454.html
Hope so hard that justice is served cold to this creep.

This week has been a mixed one. Hot and miserable for the tempatures supposedly my air conditioning is working but it feels crazy hot in my house so meals are what we can heat up in the microwwave or in a slow cooker and occasinally on a burner on top of the stove. Spent Monday and Tuesday starting on the major cleaning that my house needs-mainly decluttering at this point. Overdid it with my fibro so now I am laid up. Relief and anger over the final solving of a murder in my area https://www.theepochtimes.com/monta...-year-old-miranda-fenner-in-1998_3014454.html
Hope so hard that justice is served cold to this creep.
@sweetpeama Sorry about he firbo flare, hope you feel better soon. I can also relate about being MISERABLE the last week with the heat and humidity (that's how I know I could NEVER live in Florida!!!), feeling like the a.c. wasn't even working (despite me turning the temp down several times - the utility company is gonna LOVE me!!!), and cooking as little/light as possible, - all that. Even the few weeks leading up to the heat wave were rough for me - it's the humidity that kills my body even worse than the heat (terrible when combined!), and that has been in FULL effect this summer, here in the Northeast.

Yesterday was such a nice change - got a little hot in the afternoon, but much cooler overall, and certainly less humid. So - of course - like you - I totally overdid it - running around doing errands with a friend, then came home, did laundry, did some cooking, etc. And I'm paying for it - pain trying to sleep last night. Today still nice, so trying to do housework, but TRYING to make myself take it SLOWLY.,

@sweetpeama Sorry about he firbo flare, hope you feel better soon. I can also relate about being MISERABLE the last week with the heat and humidity (that's how I know I could NEVER live in Florida!!!), feeling like the a.c. wasn't even working (despite me turning the temp down several times - the utility company is gonna LOVE me!!!), and cooking as little/light as possible, - all that. Even the few weeks leading up to the heat wave were rough for me - it's the humidity that kills my body even worse than the heat (terrible when combined!), and that has been in FULL effect this summer, here in the Northeast.

Yesterday was such a nice change - got a little hot in the afternoon, but much cooler overall, and certainly less humid. So - of course - like you - I totally overdid it - running around doing errands with a friend, then came home, did laundry, did some cooking, etc. And I'm paying for it - pain trying to sleep last night. Today still nice, so trying to do housework, but TRYING to make myself take it SLOWLY.,

We too have been enjoying lower humidity than we have been having only an average of 22% today instead of the 49-55% range we have been having here in our Northern Dessert Climate. As of yesterday we have had over 11.5 inches of moisture with our average being 8.9 for the year so far. Our normal for the entire year is 12-16 inches. Technically I live in what is called a Steepe climate which means hot dry summers and cold semi wet winters. At least in the winter I can put on more layers there is only so much a person can take off without being indecient. At least it has been cooling down a bit in the evenings so it is nice to go and stand out on my front porch and look up at the stars when it is not raining provided the mosquitos don't eat me alive.
Getting ready for fair this next week as they take their non animal projects in to be judged a week from Monday. We still need to get some photos matted and framed, some in albums, and some on poster displays. 11 year old still needs a 2nd photo for her 2 black and white photos so we need to come up with an idea for that. Already have one of 14 year old in the gunnery window of a B-24 looking out so just need to get a 2nd one. We had planned to go out to my grandparents old farm and have her take a picture of the old family barn but after talking with my cousin's husband tonight and finding out that they are overrun with mice and rattlesnakes we have decided to fiagure out something else to take a picture of for this year. Might have to plan on a day after we get a nice hard freeze when there is not snow or mud to go out towards late fall and get a picture or two for next year. They also need to get their photo stories of 5-10 pictures shot but at least we have decided on what that is going to be. 11 year old is doing Miracle Gelatin Salad and 14 year old is doing Taco Salad which we will hopefully be able to enjoy for Sunday dinner.
Had the last of the prefair events last Saturday for either of the girls. 14 year old participated in small animal livestock judging where she got a score of 318 and placed 6 in her age group of kids 11-13 as of Ocober 1, 2018. She also participated in both large and small animal skill-a-thon which is a series of 2 stations for each animal species (small is Cat, Pocket Pet, Cavey, Rabbit, Poultry, and Dog. Large is Beef, Sheep, Goat, Hog, Llama/Alpaca, and Horse) plus a tie breaker quiz for both large and small. We won't know her scores or placing until later. I usually end up scoring both a large and small station at one of the 12 tables. This year I had beef definitions matching where the kids had to put the word or term on the defintion along with can you match the Cavy breed to the name. After they are done if the time is not up we can give them hints for future years like look at the name see the one with a little white crest on the top that is white cresent, the ones that the fur is long and silky like corn silk are the silkies, the teddies look like a teddy bear in coloring and the ones that the fur looks all shiny are the satins. I also promised some of the older ones who I know show Cavy and missed a few that I would not tell how they scored.
Still planning my next Disney Trip just in case I get that knock on the door with a big fat check and can pay off everything and have some money to travel. Right now though we are also waiting for the letter that we can call and make an appointment for 11 year old and us to meet with the gentic doctor and the gentic counselor. While our state genetic hospital for children does outreach clinics so we don't have to travel 4.5-5 hours each way when there is only one person in each position to cover the entire 4th largest state that means a wait at times especially for the one I am closest to as the entire Eastern 1/3 of the state comes here. The Central and Western 1/3rds have 3 locations each so those don't get a waiting list at time to even make an appointment. So even if I do end up with money to make a trip due to not knowing when we can get an appointment we might plan on a long weekend to California and going to Disneyland since I can get a flight a little after 1 PM and be in to a resort or hotel room near the park by 7:30 that night easily plan to spend 3 days doing 1 park per day on each of the first 2 days and then using the 3rd day to park hop for favorites that we want to repeat catching a flight home just before 11:30 on the next day which gets us home about 5:30 or so could find one that gets us home quicker but a 30 minute layover when there is a possiblity that it might involve going down 3 corridors and 2 levels is not my idea of fun so I would rather plan for the longer time instead of going come on people move I need to get off this plane because I have technically 20 minutes to race through the airport to my next flight stressing about are we going to make the flight or not.

Found a little more background on this incredible young person. I have zero and nothing to complain about. I am extremely blessed and stories like this remind me how powerful persistence/determination is. I am fully aware I can be critical of Disney and their attractions/shows, but what I didn't realize, until this video, is there are events that mean so much to others.

I feel ashamed.

@hertamaniac . Everything you said, and more. Thank you for sharing. Blubbering like a baby here. And so in awe of this young man! It also reiterates and reminds me of how important GKTW is, and why I support them however, whenever I can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!