UPDATE - Good News...Oh No! Will I Get to Go!?!? - A Pre-Trip Report

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
Oh No, Will I Get to Go? April 20th I will know for sure....but until then... where does that put us? Let’s see…..

First off, I present to you the cast of characters in this story.

DH – Let’s call him “Chewie”, :chewy: shall we? DH and I have been going to WDW together since 1997. Our first trip together was in June 1997 and we stayed at Coronado Springs. We had such an awesome time together and we knew that Disney was going to be a big part of our family.

DS – Age 7 – Let’s call him “Yoda”. :yoda:His first trip to WDW was when he was one. He’s had many “firsts” at Disney. His first haircut, was by far, my favorite! I still have the certificate and his little ringlets. He loves video games, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Toy Story and the Fab Five!

DD – Age 5 but she turns 6 the day we leave for Orlando. We’ll call her “Princess” princess: what else? DD is an exuberant child. She loves Hannah Montana, Jonas Brother, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez and the princesses. Her first trip to WDW was when she was a mere 3 months old. That was the best trip because I had her in a baby bjorn the whole time and she was a quiet little baby. I say she was taking it all in just waiting until she could let it all out!

Myself – “Tink” :tink:– loves Disney magic and music and I hope to work at WDW someday. I want to bring the magic to others. I’m a music teacher and love to sing, dance, read, cook, bake and play! I’m certainly a kid-at-heart and I love my Disney vacations!

The other AWESOME element to this vacation is that DH and I are celebrating 10 years of marriage! Woo hoo! We honeymooned in WDW in 2000 (where else would we honeymoon?) and have been back almost every year since (except when Yoda and Princess were waiting for their debut!)

The other, other AWESOME element to this vacation is that we’re spending the first 4 nights at Portofino Bay at Universal Studios. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the main reason and we are all super excited to get wands at Olivander’s, butterbeer and see Hogwarts!

So, the planning has been in full swing for a long time – we got a great pin for WDW and reserved a garden concierge room at the Polynesian with 40%off! We booked the Harry Potter Package for our 4 nights at Portofino and we’re getting commemorative tickets and a breakfast at The Three Broomsticks. So the wheels are in motion when
BANG!

The NJ Governor, Chris Christie, declares that he is cutting 15% of funding to public schools in NJ in an effort to balance NJ’s budget.

WHAT!?!?

OK, ok, I know that the budget needs to be re-worked because NJ is in so much debt, but really? Schools? Oy!

So, my district went scrambling. We’ve had meetings, programs are being cut, JOBS are being cut, they’re talking salary freezes (which is ok by me – I mean, why wouldn’t I if it saves jobs?!), paying into our insurance (I say, you gotta do what you gotta do!) and then I got the dreaded RIF notice.

WHAT?!?! (Again)…..

But then I met with my administrator and was told my job is safe and secure…..

As long as the budget passes.

So, now I wait until April 20th and hope and pray that the budget does, indeed, pass.

If it fails, NO vacation……

If it passes, we get to GO!!!!!!!!!!!

So, for now, I sit and wait and plan to do what I can to help our school’s budget pass! I’ve been actively planning two community events that showcase our students talents in both art and music plus our administrative team has been great about communicating wth the families about everything that’s going on. I think my district is going a great job of working together with the teachers and families to make everything work out so that the kids continue to get a quality education and so that we don’t lose valuable teaching personel. So now it’s just wait and see….only 15 days to wait until the vote!

So, should I break down the trip we have planned? Do I allow myself the utter joy of planning and anticipating our delicious Disney journey? Or do I keep everything reigned in to protect myself from disappointment?

I’ll let you decide.

Share the plans or wait 15 days until I know for sure for next year????

So I'm reading all of these fantastic pre-trip reports, post-trip reports, live reports, dining reports and it occurs to me that this black cloud that's been hovering over me needs to dissolve!

Seriously, it's one thing after another....and as so many say, "this too, shall pass." So I waiting.....please black cloud.....PASS. Now.

Thank you.

So I'm still planning to the max even though the vote for the budget is 12 days away. I'm trying to be optimistic, and so, with my optimism struggling to break free, I present you with our plans thus far.

The dates: July 14 - July 26, 2010.
The resorts: Portofino Bay and Disney's Polynesian (club level)
The food: We won't be on any dining plan at Universal or WDW. So I'm teaching some extra classes to gather the spending $$$ we will need for food and 'stuff.'
Our flight leaves in the early evening on the 14th getting us to MCO at 8:05pm. We're taking a towncar to Portofino so we may just order some room service or see if there's anything quick to grab.
July 15th - breakfast at The Three Broomsticks
July 16th - dinner at The Kitchen at The Hard Rock Hotel - this dinner has some kind of magic show for the kids and since my DS loves magic, I thought this would be cool for him!
July 17th - dinner at The Island Dining Room at Royal Pacific Hotel (this one is a character meal, but I have no idea what characters to expect). :confused3
July 18th - FIRST day at Disney! Lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table
July 19th - dinner at Boma
July 20th - lunch at Le Cellier
July 21st - breakfast at Tusker House
July 22nd - breakfast at Akershus
July 23rd - dinner at 'Ohana
July 24th - breakfast at Crystal Palace (to be in MK before opening) AND dinner at Kona Cafe
July 25th - lunch at Coral Reef
July 26th - nothing booked as we will be heading to the airport after breakfast

I keep going back and forth about the dining plan (just the regular DDP) but since we're staying club leve, I don't think we'd use all of our counter service credits since I'm planning to eat our breakfast most mornings in the lounge and have light suppers some evenings.

So I hope the black cloud parts and dissolves....I hope the budget passes....and I hope that I can officially be tremendously excited for this trip in 12 days time!

In the meantime, I'll be dreaming of butterbeer, pumpkin juice, mickey bars and dole whips!

Here are some pictures from last year's trip.

DH and DS7 (he was six in this pic!)
IMG_0151.jpg

DD at Teppan Edo - she loved the chop sticks!
IMG_0153.jpg

All four of us....
IMG_0131.jpg

We get to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

But, we're making some changes. :idea:

We are going to shorten the trip a little.

:scared:

It's not THAT bad...

Stay tuned for the new plan. Will we cut out concierge in favor of the Deluxe Dining Plan????
popcorn:: :teacher: :mickeybar:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

So my DH is still unsure of what to do with our vacation. He has admitted that he is super excited about Universal/Islands of Adventure and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Disney - not so much. :confused3 What is wrong with him? :lmao:

But MY decision is FIRMLY made. I have succumbed to resort switch #4 since we booked the trip WAY back in the Fall.

I am convinced that our best way to go is a pool view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. With the pin code I got, it's an AMAZING rate! And this way we can do the Deluxe Dining Plan.

When I told DH that this is the way I want to go, he asked, "Are you going to Disney for the food?" and I said "Yes, yes I am!"

So, here's the plan for 7 nights at AKL on the DxDP. :banana:

Disney Day 1 – Lunch is at Cinderella’s Royal Table*/Dinner at Boma
Disney Day 2 – Lunch at 11:15am at 50’s Prime Time Cafe/Dinner at Yak and Yeti
Disney Day 3 - Lunch at Le Cellier/Dinner at Yachtsmans Steakhouse
Disney Day 4 - Breakfast at Tusker House/Dinner at Citricos. I'm also hoping that the MK Dessert Fireworks party is available for this night...
Disney Day 5- breakfast at Boma (early)/Lunch at Wolfgang Puck Cafe or maybe just Express/ Late Dinner at Tokyo Dining
Disney Day 6 - Room service breakfast/lunch at MARA/Dinner at ‘Ohana (not sure if I want to keep this one or change it to something IN the MK).
Disney Day 7 - Breakfast at Crystal Palace/Room service dinner
Disney Day 8 - Breakfast at Mara/Late lunch at Tony’s Town Square

*I already paid for this oop so it's not being counted amongst our DxDP credits.

If we're hungry in between meals :rotfl2: we'll use snack credits and I plan on also using those snack credits for water/powerade.

I'm excited to try Yak & Yeti, Tokyo Dining, Yachtsman's Steakhouse and Jiko for the first time!!!

So, thoughts? Suggestions? On the nights we plan on doing evening EMH's, I'm planning NAPS for us all. This way we can go full force! :woohoo:

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks! It's exciting knowing that the trip is official even though DH doesn't realize that Disney is all about the dining (yet). He'll get it......I hope. :idea:

Um, scratch the previous post, people. I've changed my mind yet again!

:confused3:rotfl::confused3:rotfl::confused3

So, I know where my heart lies - on the monorail!
We are back at the Polynesian, but in a GV room (requested Tahiti) and we're doing the DDP. I will be paying for two meals out of pocket (CRT - but that's because it's been paid for since my 180 day mark) and one breakfast. And my DS can eat Mickey bars by the case, so I'm sure I'll be spending some extra $$$ on the novelties, but not $500+ which is what the DXDP would end up costing us.

Also, my DH really wanted something more relaxing - not running from one park to one meal to another park to another meal....

This way, we have the best of both worlds. Most of the food costs paid for in advance and less $$$ we have to spend in tips. LOL! :rotfl2:

I also spent about 2 hours today making all new dining reservations. I changed a lot around and I'll post a full blown itinerary this week.

Right now, I'm going to hit the sack and dream sweet dreams. :cloud9:

As of the last installment, we were going to switch to AKL, take a night off and do the DDP.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....how things change!

We are back to where we started, sort of.
We are still staying at the Polynesian. :love:
We are still staying 8 nights - not shortening the trip. :love:
We are doing the deluxe dining plan. :scared1:
And my parents are now joining us for 5 nights at Disney. :upsidedow

WHAT?!?!?!

Yeah, there have been so many changes to this trip, it's unreal. But if you're interested, you can find the final (OK, what I hope is the final) plan for this vacation!

Days 1 - 4 in Orlando will be spent at the Portofino Bay Hotel in Universal Studios. We have booked the Harry Potter package and will be able to check out the WWofHP. We are dining at The Three Broomsticks, The Kitchen at the Hard Rock Hotel and The Island Dining Room at the Royal Pacific resort. I'm sure there will be quick service dining, too, but I'm not planning this portion of the trip the way I plan my WDW portion!

On the 5th day of the trip, we are checking out of Portofino and checking into the Polynesian. We have a garden view room booked (no more concierge) and I requested Tahiti. We shall see what the room controlling gods have in store for us....

Disney Day 1 - MK! DH wants to try Cosmic Rays or the Diamond Horseshoe for lunch and that's fine with me. Dinner will be back at the resort at the Kona Cafe. :woohoo:

Disney Day 2 - Hollywood Studios in the morning and AK in the afternoon/evening. We're eating at Yak and Yeti for dinner and I'm really looking forward to it. B/L will both be quick serve today.

Disney Day 3 - My parents arrive today, but we probably won't meet up with them until the afternoon. We're all having dinner at Tokyo Dining in Epcot. B/L are quick service.

Disney Day 4 - We're having breakfast at Crystal Palace and dinner at Narcoosee's. Oh yeah, mom and dad are on the DxDP too.

Disney Day 5 - Lunch is at Le Cellier and we have the fireworks dessert party booked at 9pm. B/D will be quick service - although I might just skip dinner and head for the sugar coma!

Disney Day 6 - Tusker House for breakfast and Crystal Palace for dinner. My dad just LOVES the Crystal Palace for dinner. He's a creature of habit and last year we didn't get to have dinner there. I'm making it up to him....

Disney Day 7 - CRT for lunch and Artist Point for dinner. Yup, 2 signature dining places in one day. But the lunch at CRT is fairly light so I've placed about 6 1/2 hours between L and D. I think we'll be JUST fine....

Disney Day 8 - Breakfast at Kona Cafe with mom and dad before they head back to the airport. Thanks for joining us guys!
L/D will both be quick service.

Disney Day 9 - Breakfast at the GF Cafe. Then we'll head back to the Polynesian to pack our things, check out and head to the airport.

I'm SO excited about the Fireworks Dessert Party, The Main Street Electrical Parade and the return of Captain EO! This is going to be one heck of a trip!

Thanks for reading.....:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter