UPDATE: Leave a legacy would it work at DVC?

Do you think a "LEAVE A LEGACY" would suit DVC resorts

• YesI would like to participate if it was available

• Yes, but not for me

• No I dont think it necessary

• What is "leave a legacy"?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chris and Pooh

Ukchrisuk
Though the facility is not at present available, I would like to be able to leave a legacy at my home resort of SSR, similar to what Disney has made available to the general public at Epcot and Magic Kingdom.
Maybe small plaques in the shape of horses with the family name/photos and join date, set around the resort or within the confines of the lobby, or mermaids for example at BCV, lighthouses at OKW, etc.
Perhaps you could state your views or ideas on this thought.

For those who are unaware, at Magic Kingdom you could purchase bricks which were put into the path leading to the entrance with your message ie family name, date etc and at Epcot the Statues/Monoliths inside the entrance have thousands of small squares that you could have your etched photo etc featured for a fee

OKW used to have a "leave a legacy" of sorts. They encouraged folks to send pictures of themselves enjoying a DVC vacation. They ran out of wall space to display them in Olivias, so they stopped the practice quite some time ago. When they repainted Olivias, the pictures that had been up were removed. I did notice a few of them up in Hank's earlier this month.

I think it would be really nice to have something like that. Bricks or pics in the shape of horses would be sooo elegant :thumbsup2

I think it would be a nice idea at all DVC resorts, and that each resort have a different type of "legacy". Like OKW and the photos, another resort could do a brick path, etc.

Pavers with members names, and at the end of the 50 years the brick is returned to the owner if they still own the contract.

"we are sorry to inform you that your contract with Disney is no longer valid, but we are sending you a brick"

twister said:
"we are sorry to inform you that your contract with Disney is no longer valid, but we are sending you a brick"
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
At that time I suspect that we will be worm fodder, however it would save on a grave stone

Leave a Legacy for DVC is a (sort of) nice idea, but PLEEEEZE let it be something unobtrusive or flat. Not like the ugly gravestones at Epcot.

I'm doubt we'd ever use it. I'm not one of those people who feels compelled to leave an "X was here" marker behind at places I've been. I guess I've just never understood the appeal of "vanity monuments".

DisFlan

DisFlan said:
. . PLEEEEZE let it be something unobtrusive or flat. Not like the ugly gravestones at Epcot. . .

DisFlan

I have to agree! I can't wait for someone to read the fine print on the leave a legacy contract and move the images to "microfilm" or similar imaging technology!

Having said that I would love to have a brick path at SSR with a family brick!

I hope that I won't be flamed, but I hate the Leave a legacy monuments at Epcot. Frankly, I think they are an eyesore. They are a pain to walk around and they take away from area in my opinion. I hope that they don't extend them in that fashion anywhere on property. The bricks are fine, they aren't standing between me and the view, and I don't have to push a stroller around them! ;)

ErinC said:
I hope that I won't be flamed, but I hate the Leave a legacy monuments at Epcot. Frankly, I think they are an eyesore. They are a pain to walk around and they take away from area in my opinion. I hope that they don't extend them in that fashion anywhere on property. The bricks are fine, they aren't standing between me and the view, and I don't have to push a stroller around them! ;)
I personally have no view one way or the other about the "Leave a Legacy Monuments" at Epcot, but I agree that if something were in place at DVC it should be muted and in keeping with the resort and not in your face.

I like the Leave a Legacy monuments, but then, ours is very easy to spot, because it is on the very first pillar on the right as you enter.

I think a huge headshot of me over the entrance of VWL would be appropriate.
Of course, wallet sizes would be available at the front desk for a nominal fee. :teeth:

All kidding aside, something understated and non intrusive would be nice! :smokin:

MG

Wouldn't do it, but the paved path idea is a nice one. A lot of members WOULD do it and if having a engraved paver at Disney floats your boat and simulataneous adds revenue for DVC (capital improvements to the resort? lower dues), I'm for something tasteful. (No big gravestones like Epcot, that isn't tasteful).

Photos, like at Olivia's are the way to go, I think. DVC demands something really personal like a photo in an individual frame as opposed to a uniform brick. It is a shame that they took many of the photos down when they repainted the main restaurant area at Olivia's but there are still quite a few (including one of my kids!!) in the lobby and in the porch area. I think they give the place a homey look. I'm sure they could devise a process where they could be rotated so that everyone could have a chance to have a family photo up and no one would get bent out of shape it theirs came down at some point. And I'm sure there are places at the other DVC resorts where photos could be placed.

I would love to buy a brick for a pathway...my DH, on the other hand, thinks it's a marketing genius that the mouse has found a way for others to pay "him" to make a sidewalk to walk on - after you've paid "him" to walk on the sidewalk!

But my DH loves me, so I could convince him if a brick were offered.... :love:

While I loved the brick idea, it was disappointing to see that when some of them wore out, they were replaced with plain bricks. We purchased one for our inlaws to thank them for taking us on our first trip with our children and I am thankfull that it was placed on the walkway between the transportation center and the Poly. Since this is not a high travel area, I hope their brick lasts a long time.

I would do a brick walkway thing. That would be fun.

But what would they do if you sold your contract? Dig out the brick?

Thank you to everyone who answered for your views.
Its seems that the majority who voted and/or commented felt positively towards some form of legacy,and for those in favour, a brick pathway would be the order of the day, similar to that at MK,
I have written to DVC suggesting the idea to them and am now awaiting a reply.
For those of you who are interested I will keep you posted.

Great idea Chris and Pooh! We have done the brick at Magic Kingdom and the tile at Epcot. Would certainly do something with DVC.

If I remember correctly the bricks at Magic Kingdom were going to encircle the lake and link all of the monorail resorts, the TTC and the park. Unfortunately they never completed that prpject. How cool to be able to have walked around the lake?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!