Update on dear dsgarnes3

garneska

DIS Veteran
I thought I would do a new thread for this rather than post on chit chat. This may effect our mini dismeet in July but right now we are still planning on it. We are going back up to Ohio on Saturday so we will know more then. Our plan at the moment is to return to atlanta on July 4 and head to pigeon forge July 16.

update is from bert’s dad.

Dear Friends and family,

It has been a while since I updated you on Debbie’s condition. In part because there has been little change or anything new. Now there is some news. Debbie has been slowly declining. She is having a blood transfusion once every 10-14 days. Since May 18 she has gone from 136 pounds to 100 pounds. Her appetite is poor and she fines it hard to eat. Food does not look or taste good and is often hard for her to eat. Her pain continues to hover around a 5 but often spikes to an 8 or 9. Today she was enrolled in palliative care. Yesterday we learned that Debbie could take the Vidaza shots to try and boost the maturity of her red blood cells. It would be seven shots, one a day then four weeks off and repeat that cycle 3 more times before any decision about its effectiveness. She is scheduled for a blood test on Friday to see if she needs a transfusion and I suspect she will. The Vidaza shots would begin Monday.

Debbie needs your prayers. She is tired of hurting. Tired of being exhausted by the simplest task and in her words having, “ no joy in anything”. She does not think/feel she can endure the shots which are a form of chemotherapy with its own side effects, and feel worse for a week or more than she does now. Plus there is the daily trips for shots which are exhausting to her. She needs your prayers for wisdom and discernment as she decides whether to receive the chemotherapy or not. This is her decision and I will firm support whatever she decides. She had a good talk with the nurse today and is well aware of her options.

Thank you for all your prayers, emails, and cards. She has drawn strength from your love and care.

Kris,

Thanks for the update. You and your family are in our thoughts.

Jim

Thanks guys. Have been kinda quiet on the updates as I am not sure if she will get in the computer. I know when feeling well she checks regularly. We figured since that was a public communication i could put it out there. We went up just after Memorial Day so we did have a chance to visit then. We are basically planning trips once a month. Because of Covid we are working from home so it makes it easy to work from Ohio as well, not to mention Disney in oct.

Prayers and comfort sent to you all.

So sorry to hear Bert and Kris. Tom and I will keep Deb and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

We have arrived safely in NE Ohio. for a nice surprise deb ate quite a bit of food for her, so that was good. Herb seems to be glad we are here and ready to cook and bake for me. I feel bad but he enjoys doing it, I hope.

We have arrived safely in NE Ohio.

The Canton, OH area Kris?

Asking as someone who was born/raised a little further up north in Akron (off Route 8). In Summit and Portage Counties, that is.

Familiar with folks in that area, I am.

Bama Ed

PS - My field of knowledge extends south on I77 to the South Arlington Road exit. There were family and orchards down that way I remember. Otherwise down I77 to CAK was the airport and the NFL HoF. Don't know all those details down there.

Last edited:
Kris,

I appreciate the update and I'm glad she is feeling well enough to eat. It sounds like Herb needs something to distract him right now. Let him cook! :)

Looking forward to seeing you and Bert in a few weeks, but if mom needs you there, we understand.

j

Thanks everyone. she is very weak since the last time we were here 3 weeks ago, she is skin and bones. I really think she ate because bert was here. Herb went to the store and she talked to us quite a bit. @Teamubr i know you will understand if we cancel, we are on the fence right now. Going to give it a few more days. the big issue is all the driving. Just ask Bert, I am a terrible passenger :rotfl2: . I think mallory did better than me today.

@bama_ed yep in canton. My directions are not so good but off Market Ave. Used to be mostly farm fields but now subdivisions. We drive right by the hall of fame.

We are hoping to get in a little hiking in the morning. If we make it, will be up to Cuyahoga NP. Possibly might go to Quail Hollow, might have heard if it Ed? bert used to hike and camp at Quail Hollow as a bit scout I think.

We are hoping to get in a little hiking in the morning. If we make it, will be up to Cuyahoga NP. Possibly might go to Quail Hollow, might have heard if it Ed? bert used to hike and camp at Quail Hollow as a bit scout I think.

I have not hiked Quail Hollow. I left Ohio as a teenager and since then have been back frequently to visit family and camp with them. Haven't done any hiking up there.

Good luck with Bert's mom.

ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!