UPDATE: Who's watching Southwest prices in anticipation of 3/18 release? UPDATE: TIX RELEASED 03/15.

Website now says Monday the 18th is the release date (possibly Max 8 related). If you update your title people may notice the change! Didn't want to start a new thread.

Been a while since Ive edited a title. Can't remember how to do it. Edit. Remembered.

Yep. I got up early to book my flight and the reals date was changed. I assume they are putting their efforts into answering calls about the Max 8 planes and they couldn’t handle the extra call load of booking new flights. Makes sense but now I’m extra sleeeeeeepy! Zzzzzzzzz

Thank you for the update! I was just on SW website, saw that it was still only open through 10/1, and just assumed that the schedule would open up later in the day. But the good news is that my new Chase card statement closed yesterday, and I can now add my companion for the year! And we continue to wait...

03/14/2019 from email:

A message from our CEO

Since Sunday, we have been continually working with the FAA, Boeing, and others within the U.S. government, regarding the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft type that was involved in the Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 accident on March 10. This afternoon, the FAA issued its order to ground the MAX, with our knowledge and support. We have removed the 34 MAX aircraft from service; they will remain out of service until the FAA rescinds this order. With more than 750 aircraft in our fleet, more than 95 percent of our aircraft are unaffected by this order.

Safety is our top priority. It always has been. It always must be. Our commitment to the Safety of our Employees and our Customers is unwavering and uncompromising. U.S. airlines operate within the most advanced, regulated aviation system in the world and nothing is more sacred to all of our Southwest Family Members than the trust our Customers place in our airline every day, on every flight. You have our commitment to minimize the disruptions to our Customers' travel plans, while adhering to the FAA's requirements and ensuring the Safety of our fleet.

Southwest® has a long history with the 737 and a stellar safety record. Our experience with the MAX, along with the other U.S. operators, has been phenomenal. We've operated over 40,000 flights covering almost 90,000 hours. There is a ton of data collected, which we continuously monitor. In all of our analysis since our first flight in 2017, or that by our U.S. counterparts or the FAA; nothing has presented any flight safety concerns. It is also important to add that all Pilots at Southwest are deeply experienced and highly trained, as are our Mechanics who are highly experienced and trained to safely maintain every airplane in our fleet.

I realize this disruption may inconvenience our Customers during this busy spring travel season, and we will do everything in our power to mitigate the impact to our operation. For that, I offer my sincere apologies. To support our Customers, we are offering flexible rebooking policies for any Customer booked on a cancelled flight.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will provide frequent updates to you as this story develops.

ei

The flights that operate using the grounded planes are showing as “sold out” right now. Phone agent says if/when the plane issue is resolved, those flights will go up for sale. All other October flights are live now.

Got a great point fare on the outbound to MCO. Really happy! But the one non-stop return from Fort Lauderdale in the afternoon that I want shows as 'sold out' across the board. Do I book a connecting flight instead? Do I wait it out to find out the fare on the non-stop? Decisions, decisions. I'm pretty cheap, so I guess I'll continue to wait!

Last edited:
Got a great point fare on the outbound to MCO. Really happy! But the one non-stop return from Fort Lauderdale in the afternoon that I want shows as 'sold out' across the board. Do I book a connecting flight instead? Do I wait it out to find out the fare on the non-stop? Decisions, decisions. I'm pretty cheap, so I guess I'll continue to wait!

I was just reading up on the grounding of the planes and it seems as if Boeing is hoping to roll out a software update to the planes within the next month that should make them safer. So the question becomes if you want to roll the dice and wait a month (maybe longer) for when those flights will be released. I'm in the same boat.

Got $99 one way and $120 the other (booked with points because I may have to change the time). Surprised they opened earlier than I expected, but weekends in October non-stops aren't too bad from PIT.

We got great fares but just bad times. Only one non-stop both ways, going down we don't get in until 5 pm. I'm pretty sad about that, we usually have a non-stop and get in before noon.

I booked one way. Am holding off on the other leg. Prices went from $102'ish at the end of Sept to $156 (one way ticket)!!! I'm considering moving our dates to late October. Prices are better.

Last edited:
My ticket prices for round trip to Baltimore are ridiculous. I'm not paying $350 rt the day those drop. That's the price I'd pay if I was leaving in two hours. Hoping those prices come down again or I'll be flying with Spirit.

Are you serious?? What in the name of all that is kind is SW thinking? If anything, you’d think they’d want to be encouraging people to fly with these MAX issues.

It was the same for us last year, 196 to 330'ish and they never did go back down. Im so glad I booked first thing this morning lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter