(Updated 6/1) Save the Art! - Jan 2024 Trip Report

Broadway and Snacks - What More Can You Want? - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 9)

I never saw Frozen on Broadway, though I did see the tour recently in Baltimore, but I always like seeing original cast members (from any shows, really) reunite and sing songs from the show. So I was quite excited to see Caissie and Patti. I had seen Patti last year at the Festival, but she wasn't paired with Caissie. Anyways! The show was fantastic - they of course sang some songs from Frozen, but there were also songs from Beauty and the Beast, Greatest Showman, and Little Mermaid.
PXL_20240115_223310894.jpg
Patti singing "Home" from Beauty and the Beast

PXL_20240115_223508153.jpg
Caissie singing "Part of Your World"

PXL_20240115_224029636.MP.jpg
Patti singing "A Million Dreams"...not sure if this means they're going to try and put Greatest Showman on Broadway? *shrugs*

IMG_7408.JPG

Overall it was a great concert - lovely voices and great song choices. I was so glad we got to see it!

The show got out at 6 pm, and since we had a little bit of time til our next thing, we decided to get a few more snacks. I wanted some stuff from Italy so I waited in line (it ended up being about 5 min, so not bad), while Trevor went over to Germany for his pretzel.

I got the Mozzarella Fritta: Flash-fried breaded fresh mozzarella with artist palette condiments
IMG_7434.JPG
This was good! It was a decent portion size, and good dips. And veeeerry cheesy!
IMG_7436.JPG
Still not worth the $8 or $9 it cost, but it was good. Trevor refused to try it cause he doesn't like melted cheese. More for me! :)

I also got the Torta Ricotta di Cioccolata: Chocolate cheesecake and whipped cream. This wasn't bad - I don't love cheesecake but with the whipped cream it didn't have too strong a cheesecake flavor and was mostly just chocolate. Yum.
IMG_7435.JPG
It took me a little bit to find Trevor 'cause he got distracted by the band in Germany that plays Disney songs in German.

Fun!
IMG_7437.JPG
Trevor's pretzel was delicious as always. :) It was about 6:20 at this point, so time to head back to the hotel to drop stuff off and then head to our next thing. Where were we going? Magic Kingdom for the After Hours event! I wanted to get there by 8 pm for the fireworks, so that was driving our timetable.

By 6:55 pm, we were on our way to the bus stop!
IMG_7439.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG
Trevor was not excited at all for After Hours, not a teeny weeny bit. :)

Fireworks! - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 10)

We got to the bus stop at 7, and the next bus to Magic Kingdom? 7:17 pm. Whomp whomp. Teaches me to check the bus times in the app!

The bus showed up at 7:17 and at 7:35 we were pulling into Magic Kingdom. We'd missed a little bit of a rain sprinkle while on the bus, so that was nice. The fireworks were at 8, so what was the plan? Fireworks from Fantasyland! I didn't feel like fighting the crowds and back there it's always way less crowded, and still a fun experience. So off we speedwalked.
IMG_7455.JPG
Pretty castle!

We made it back there with like 10 minutes to spare.
IMG_7456.JPG
See? Waaaaaay less crowded. But we found a photographer there taking pictures, which is kind of an unusual spot, so we hopped in line. She was so sweet - she took a bunch of pictures with us!
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Fantasyland_19.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Fantasyland_16.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Fantasyland_15.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Fantasyland_10.jpg
Definitely not my best pics but still so fun! Love CMs - they absolutely make magic.

Then, fireworks!!
IMG_7458.JPG
IMG_7462.JPG
IMG_7485.JPG
Plenty of room to dance around and sing along. It's so cool to have fireworks going in front of you as well as behind - the only bad thing is that you have to keep spinning in circles. :D

Another benefit? When the fireworks are done, you're right there by Seven Dwarves and can hop right in line! Which we absolutely did - it was a posted 45 minute wait during the fireworks, but went up to 60 right as the fireworks ended. We hopped in line anyways - the CM said they were "preparing". And we figured it was 8:20, After Hours didn't start til 10, might as well hop in line for Seven Dwarves.

We were moving pretty good, but after about 15 minutes we kind of stopped moving (we were at the point where we were about to go inside the cave). I assume that's when all the Lightning Lane people showed up? It took us another 15 minutes to get on the ride - we waited one extra cycle to get the back row.
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Seven dwarfs mine train_2.jpeg

The Best Dole Whip Flavor - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 11)
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Seven dwarfs mine train.jpeg

Great ride on Seven Dwarves - I know it's short but I enjoy it. :)

It was just before 9 pm, so what to do in the intervening hour until After Hours started? We decided to head over to Haunted Mansion, but first we ran into a photographer. :) (sorry not sorry)
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Belles village_4.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Belles village_3.jpg
I love the Beast's castle, and I figure eventually I'll take a picture in front of it that I love. Law of averages. :D

Anyways! We made our way over to Haunted Mansion - there was surprisingly a bit of a wait.
IMG_7492.JPG
I don't remember what it was posted, but they had the graveyard area opened up, which was super neat. We almost never go through there anymore.
IMG_7495.JPG
IMG_7496.JPG
After 10 minutes, we were in the stretching room!

We got dumped into the hallway, only to see it CRAZY full and not moving at all.
IMG_7503.JPG
After a few minutes they announced it was down and they were dumping the queue. We were actually in a really good spot - right by where the exit was, so we got a fastpass and headed back into the night.
IMG_7504.JPG
So gorgeous!

We weren't sure what to do next...and when we got out we saw a photographer in front of the Liberty Bell! I've never seen a photographer there so we stopped and got pictures, but none of them turned out. Oh well! We decided to go over towards Big Thunder, cause why not.

On the way we passed a Guest Experience umbrella/team, so we stopped and I asked if they'd be able to turn our Haunted Mansion anytime fastpass into one that would be good at Epcot the next day, since MK was "closing" in like 30 minutes. And she did! Super nice of her. :)

We then passed the little cut through between Adventureland and Frontierland, and saw that Aloha Isle was open! And we were hot, so we stopped and got raspberry dole whips. :)
IMG_7506.JPG
IMG_7507.JPG
These were delicious! Dole whips are awesome. I know we were going to have all the ice cream we wanted once After Hours started but it wouldn't be raspberry dole whip. :)

Also, while we were eating our Dole Whips, I checked the app to make sure our fastpass had turned into one good for Epcot, and while I did see the Epcot one, it looked like the CM had added the Epcot one, without doing anything to the MK one, cause the MK one was still there! So we had two anytime fastpasses - one for today at Magic Kingdom, and one for tomorrow at Epcot. Nice bonus! We decided to try it at Big Thunder, cause why not. :)

Disney After Hours Begins! - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 12)

Ok, now is when the ride portion of the report picks up! Dole Whips finished up, we headed over towards Big Thunder. We passed Tiana's on the way -
IMG_7509.JPG
Hard at work!

The castle looked amazing behind Liberty's Square.
PXL_20240116_024606772.jpg
Isn't that gorgeous? One of my favorite shots ever.

Big Thunder was posting only 15 minutes, but we tried our fastpass and it worked.
IMG_7511.JPG
5 minutes later, we were boarding. Who doesn't love the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness?

We got off right as it hit 10 pm, and there was a snack cart that opened up right there. So of course, we had to grab popcorn and a water and a sprite.
IMG_7516.JPG

Next up? Pirates! I was enjoying my popcorn in the line (shh don't tell Disney.)
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Pirates of the caribbean.jpeg
It was a walk on, as you can tell from the empty boat. Trevor and I thought we were funny, drinking for the ride photo. :) This was pretending to drink though, cause while I may eat/drink in a line I won't do it on the ride itself!

Next up? Jungle Cruise!
IMG_7520.JPG
Also basically a walk on. I love After Hours at Magic Kingdom. :)

We finished Jungle Cruise (with a great skipper :) ), and so, since it had been 2 rides, it was clearly time for snacks!
IMG_7521.JPG
And another popcorn!
IMG_7522.JPG
I think we probably got another drink or two...i don't remember. :)

As it was about 10:40, we decided to head back to the hub - the new thing with After Hours at Magic Kingdom is that they were doing a showing of the "Enchantment" fireworks show at 11, and so we wanted to take advantage of that.
IMG_7524.JPG
Look at that empty street! Well, comparatively empty. :) I appreciated the low crowds cause it didn't trigger my FOMO anxiety about getting a good spot or anything. We stopped to get pictures in front of the castle!
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Cinderella castle_37.jpg
The one downside is that while we were the only people in line, the family that was taking pictures decided to do group shots and then individual shots of every member of the family (both parents and all three kids). So it took longer than we expected. Oh well! We had time before the fireworks started. :)

Enchantment at Disney After Hours - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 13)

We decided we wanted to head to right in front of the castle...look at how light the crowds are!
IMG_7526.JPG
IMG_7527.JPG
We grabbed a spot here, and sat down. This was at 10 minutes til the fireworks! After Hours crowds are amazing.

IMG_7529.JPG
This was our final view - bummer about the strollers but still not bad. And we could stay seated and see - amazing!
IMG_7532.JPG
IMG_7534.JPG
Yea, this is mostly gonna be fireworks pictures.
IMG_7537.JPG
We even got to see Tinkerbell fly!
IMG_7541.JPG
IMG_7543.JPG
By the end of the show it was sooooo foggy and cloudy that we mostly saw pinpricks of light. Also, I've never been so close up that the castle itself blocked some of the fireworks! honestly, it was a better fireworks show than I remembered, but that may have been at least partially because of how close we were and the fact that we could stay seated. :)
Trevor set up his camera/tripod on the ground. The strollers meant his video didn't get all the projections but still - awesome!

Honestly, it was so cool - I wasn't super excited about the fireworks being part of After Hours, but it ended up being something I really enjoyed. Definitely a good add.

Next up? Haunted Mansion! It came back up after being down earlier, so off we went!
IMG_7544.JPG
13 minute wait! :)

2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion_8.jpeg
Trying to be funny with the on-ride photo.

Fog Begins to Descend! - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 14)

I love Haunted Mansion.

And of course we had to get a couple pictures with the Mansion itself.
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion_5.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion.jpg

Next up, Tomorrowland!
IMG_7550.JPG
But look at how foggy it is! Hard to see the castle!

IMG_7552.JPG
And all of Tomorrowland is in a haze.

We decided to go for Buzz Lightyear first, to try and save the galaxy.
Trevor did it!!
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Buzz lightyears space ranger spin.jpeg
PXL_20240116_045400873.jpg
I got close, but no dice. Oh well - still fun!

Next? Space Mountain!
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Space mountain.jpeg
We (as always) forgot where the camera was, but the "sleeping" pose doesn't really matter too much for that. :)

Next?
IMG_7560.JPG
Tron!

It was posting a 30 minute wait, but we waited 25, including the ride itself. Not too bad!
PXL_20240116_052604341.jpg
2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Tron lightcycle  run_2.jpeg
We did the chairs this time, cause it didn't hurt my leg and I honestly think it's just as fun, if not more fun than the bikes. :)

Snacks and PeopleMover and Fog! - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 15)

As we left Tron, the fog was really getting heavy. You can hardly see Space Mountain!
IMG_7566.JPG
We stopped and got more snacks:
IMG_7568.JPG
IMG_7569.JPG
Then, the Peoplemover!
IMG_7570.JPG
Yes, that is my bag full of drinks. Gotta make the most of it! :)
IMG_7571.JPG

Seeing Magic Kingdom from the Peoplemover, covered in fog, was so neat.
IMG_7573.JPG
That's Tron - you can hardly see it.
PXL_20240116_054019824.MP.jpg
Main Street there.

The "so close" comment was me trying to high five people. :)

We got off the Peoplemover at 12:50 - 10 minutes left in the event! We decided not to run for a ride but just enjoy the ambiance. :)
PXL_20240116_055331238.jpg
There's supposed to be a castle there, but can you see it? :)
PXL_20240116_055336270.jpg
hello! That's me eating an ice cream sandwich. :)

They had photographers out in the hub, so of course we stopped.
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Cinderella castle_2.jpg
Doesn't the castle look so cool?

Magic Kingdom in Fog - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 16)

Ok, this post and the last one are basically gonna be "Foggy Magic Kingdom" posts. #sorrynotsorrybutnowyouknowsoyoucanskipthemifyouwant

I basically had us hit up all the photographers there in the hub - again, playing law of averages.
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - The plaza restaurant_16.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Cinderella castle_16.jpg
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - Cinderella castle_14.jpg
I just love the look of the castle with the soft lighting and the fog.
small 2024-01-16 - Magic Kingdom Park - The plaza restaurant_2.jpg
Balloons! :)

I also loved the look back down Main Street -
IMG_7579.JPG
the photographers said they couldn't take pictures facing that way cause of the fog and the lighting, but still - so cool.
IMG_7581.JPG
Down at the end of Main Street you can hardly see the castle.
IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7583.JPG
IMG_7589.JPG
It's just such an interesting view to me. Sorry if you're bored!
PXL_20240116_062636554.MP.jpg
Trevor's camera is definitely better than mine. :)

Trying to get this day at least finished before we leave for Paris next week...see y'all when we get back!!

Good night! - Mon Jan 15, 2024 (part 17)

Yea, we spent some time on Main Street just enjoying the look of everything in the fog and the sounds and the low crowds. Love it. We did duck into the Emporium for a minute or two (I got a Rescuers water bottle :) )
IMG_7591.JPG
This selfie is from about 1:30. I may have a problem. But it was so fun - After Hours at Magic Kingdom is one of the up charges I have no complaints about. Short lines, low crowds, just super low key and enjoyable. Highly recommend.
IMG_7606.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG
Good night Magic Kingdom!

Took about 15 minutes for a bus to arrive, but at least when it did, we 1. got a seat and 2. pulled away immediately. So that was nice. And 15 minutes after that we were back at Beach Club - we got back to the room about 2:10 am. A long day, but a good day.
IMG_7622.JPG
The haul of included snacks. :D

Sorry for this day being sooooooooo long! The others won't be, I promise.

Fun with Metrics:
Steps walked: 27010 steps (10.6 miles)
Ride count: 10 (Journey into Imagination with Figment, SDMT, Big Thunder, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Space, Tron, PeopleMover)
Savings due to AP discount: $86.60 (merch - artwork ain't cheap yo)

Last edited:
Those foggy castle/main street pics are incredible! They look like something out of a movie. The foggy shots from the people mover are really cool too.

I do the same when I go to after hours - snacks and drinks “ to go “. I normally take a smaller bag to the parks but take my backpack to after hours and fill it up 😊.Helps me feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter