Updated Oct 23/"Um, where are my shoes? WHERE ARE MY SHOES?!" Our first trip & report! August '18

Chapter 6: Aug. 21 (Part 1): "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

On Aug. 20, we spent a nice, long, HOT day at HS. We basically fell into bed - Hubs and Rex were just soooo tired from her flight getting in late the night before. So we had planned to spend our second park day, Aug. 21, sleeping in a little bit in order to recover.

We ended up with a schedule of two park days, 1 resort day, 2 park days, 1 resort day, etc. We planned to sleep in this day, and hit our first FP at 11:50 am, do all of Tomorrowland, and stay for fireworks that night. Best of all, we were going to eat dinner at 'Ohana!

tenor.gif

We got up around 9:30 am, got ready, took our dose of preemptive pain meds, and headed to our car. Yes, I know, we're not supposed to drive to the MK. It's so hard to not get in your car when you can see it from your room though! Since we had a stroller with us we just really didn't want to deal with folding it up on the bus. (So, you know, we folded it up on the tram at the parking lot instead.) But, at least we didn't have to stand on a crowded bus. We checked my directions carefully this time, and left the room sometime before 11 am.

MK 1.jpg

We got parked and fortunately, a tram came rather quickly. I can't remember exactly where we parked but I think it was in the Peter Pan lot. The kids were excited because they didn't want us to be in the Villains lot, because Villains are scary. We got to the TTC and went through security - I LOVE that they've now split up security for the MK at different entry points. Then we went up and got on the monorail. We were all SO excited!!!

Finally we exited the monorail and saw this beauty:

MK 2.jpg

We stopped to take some pictures in front of the train station....

MK 3.jpg

And marveled at the fact that Halloween decorations were already out!

It was the middle of August.
It was 90+ degrees out.
And kids were still out of school for the summer.

Who do you think you are, Disney? You're not Hobby Lobby, so stop disrespecting summer!

tenor.gif

I'm probably just a little biased because we just finished our first year (and winter) living in Minnesota, where Frozen, I mean "winter", lasts for 7+ months out of the year. We'd only been in shorts since June (and as I'm writing this, it's now in the low 60's), so I was trying to hang on to the season as long as I could. Also, I vastly prefer the Christmas decorations to Halloween, especially because our first trip to DLR was at Thanksgiving during the Diamond Celebration. So I'm basically spoiled for life now.

MK 4.jpg
I did like this guy, though!

We meandered along Main Street, just getting our bearings, taking photos, and noticing the differences between the WDW and DLR Main Streets. It was amazing that it felt both familiar and different at the same time. The castle is obviously so huge, but I didn't personally care for the stage in front - has that always been there? The Hub was HUGE - definitely way bigger than at DLR. I did like how the paths to each Land were more separated than DLR (although, the downside is that it meant more walking!)

We hit the Hub around the time that the Move it, Shake it Dance Party came out, so we stopped to shake our tail feathers for a few minutes...

Yeah, I'd post a picture of it, but I have my dignity, so no thanks. :cool2:

Our first FP was for 7 Dwarves at 11:50, so we headed straight there and got on. We couldn't get Rex a FP with us, so she headed to the Storybook Circus area to meet Daisy and Minnie. Boo was super excited to ride it, while Bubs was ruined for anything resembling a "fast" ride after the trauma from SDD the day before. We asked him to give it a try, which he did, and he proceeded to scream again the whole time. :sad2:

MK 5.jpg

He was happy after it was over though. :rotfl:The rest of us loved it, including Boo! (And then when I asked if she would ride it again with me later, she emphatically said no. So there's that.)

After that, we rode the teacups, since Rex can't ride those. Then we headed to Tomorrowland - we planned to spend the rest of the day doing this land. We wanted to check out the Tomorrowland Expo, as we thought it would be something like Star Wars Launch Bay - everything inside, stuff to look at, characters to meet, etc. It ended up being a dance party, a photo opportunity without characters, a couple of walls for taking photos, and the characters riding around on floats. A little disappointing because Bubs really wanted to meet Mr. Incredible, but they did love the dance party.

MK 6.jpg

After the dance party, we got some lunch. And by lunch, I mean Mickey ice cream bars. ::MickeyMo We had planned to have a snack lunch since our 'Ohana reservation was at 4 pm, but the kids asked for ice cream. And as parents, we wanted to set a good example....so we all got ice cream. :D

MK 7.jpg
I was good and got a fruit bar. I knew bread pudding was in my future!

After "lunch", we had reached the point of just needing to sit down, so we went on Carousel of Progress. I wasn't sure the kids would "get" it, but you can probably guess which part they caught on to...

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Are we the only ones who would just randomly sing that, as loud as we could, for the rest of our vacation? #noshame

I really enjoyed seeing the transformation of the kitchens over the decades - probably because I watch way too much HGTV. To the point, where when it got to the "modern day" (*cough the 90's with flat-screened tv's *cough), my husband whispered to me that he knew I hated that it was an open floorpan. :rotfl2:

After sitting in the glory that is air conditioning, we went to the Speedway for our FP. We had a FP for 1:05 pm, while we were able to get Rex a FP for 12:30 pm, so we could all ride together. It's one of the "filler" rides for me - I think it was more exciting as a kid before I could drive. Now that I can, I found the stop and go and backups annoying. But the kids loved it, and we got them their driver's license, so now they have one from each coast! And after that, we went to the PeopleMover.

Y'all. I literally had no idea what this ride was. It turned out to be one of our favorites because: 1) hardly a line, 2) sitting down for a
loooong time, 3) going through A/C, 4) view of Tomorrowland and the Hub, and 5) views of the insides rides and the original plan for EPCOT. Well done, random ride that many people forget about! :cheer2:

MK 9.jpg

The view of the Speedway was really cool, since we'd just ridden it. We all got off the ride feeling so refreshed and thinking PeopleMover was quite the hidden gem!

We had time before our Buzz FP, so we went to Monster's Laugh Floor. We all really enjoyed it, but I think I'd skip it if I didn't have the kids with me. It was really cute though, even though our joke didn't get chosen. Rex did end up on the screen though!

MK 10.jpg

That would be Rex's red shirt behind the woman in green. Boo's shirt is the blurry white thing next to her - we tried to convince her to lean into her auntie to be on the screen but she wasn't having it. Rex made sure she was nice and um, "modest", when she realized the camera was on her!

After that, we headed straight to Buzz. Our FP window opened at 2:30, but the time on a picture on my phone shows that we were in line for Monster's then. So we hurried over to ride it - it's one of our kids' favorites and must-do's. We needed to leave the MK by 3:30, so I think we ended up getting on the ride at about 3 pm.

Am I the only one that checks off rides on the park map as we go? It helps me so much. Well as it turned out, by the time we finished with Buzz, we had done everything we wanted to do in Tomorrowland! Rex had a Space Mountain FP for after dinner, and Hubs and I had decided to skip it on this trip since neither kid was going to ride it. And Astro Orbiter didn't appeal to the kids (they've ridden it at DLR, with Aunt Rex, and I think it made us all too dizzy.) So we actually completed a land! We felt so proud of ourselves!

.....and then, the moment was over, because it was 3:30, and time to head to the Poly. So we booked it out of Tomorrowland, down Main Street (the Dapper Dans were performing and I soooo wanted to stop and listen!), and out to the monorail.

And so began the journey to get Banana's Foster's Bread Pudding.

gif 1.gif

(to be continued...)

Last edited:
Great update! I am loving your report, getting me psyched for our February trip. I may steal your use of memes for my report!

Great update! I am loving your report, getting me psyched for our February trip. I may steal your use of memes for my report!

Thank you so much!!! I always feel like gifs and memes help convey to better convey my thoughts. Especially ones from Friends and The Office. ;) haha

I can't remember exactly where we parked but I think it was in the Peter Pan lot. The kids were excited because they didn't want us to be in the Villains lot, because Villains are scary.
This is totally something my girls would say!

40920915_10113674875466824_3171133255541850112_n.jpg

I did like this guy, though!
Great Picture! I get why Disney does it but I can't image actually being in the Halloween spirit wiht 95 degree heat.

40833707_10113674868615554_2303026270876729344_n.jpg

I was good and got a fruit bar. I knew bread pudding was in my future!
Hey, it's vacation! I feel like that is part of the disney magic!
my husband whispered to me that he knew I hated that it was an open floorpan. :rotfl2:
Ha!

t's one of the "filler" rides for me - I think it was more exciting as a kid before I could drive. Now that I can, I found the stop and go and backups annoying. But the kids loved it,
This ride is def "FOR" the kids. My girls love love love this ride. And Andy and I hate hate hate it. Ha.

I am enjoying your trip report. :dancer:
And marveled at the fact that Halloween decorations were already out!

It was the middle of August.
It was 90+ degrees out.
And kids were still out of school for the summer.

Who do you think you are, Disney? You're not Hobby Lobby, so stop disrespecting summer!

Totally agree that Halloween decorations in August is a bit cray cray!! It doesn't mesh with my memories of Halloween. Most of the time we would end up putting jackets over our costumes to keep warm.

I'm probably just a little biased because we just finished our first year (and winter) living in Minnesota, where Frozen, I mean "winter", lasts for 7+ months out of the year. We'd only been in shorts since June (and as I'm writing this, it's now in the low 60's), so I was trying to hang on to the season as long as I could. Also, I vastly prefer the Christmas decorations to Halloween, especially because our first trip to DLR was at Thanksgiving during the Diamond Celebration. So I'm basically spoiled for life now.
I hear you with the amount of time we get to wear our shorts. I live in NH and our weather is much like you are describing living in Minnesota. When anyone asks I say we are lucky to get a good six weeks of summer. Winter seems to last forever and you blink and summer is over. :sad: Sorry Elsa I don't like your winter. Where did you leave before? I may have missed this if you mentioned it. I have lived in NH most of my life. I did spend 2 school years (Came home in the summers to NH) in VA teaching and in college I did the Disney College Program and advanced internship. I'm curious how the adjustment to the summer heat was for your family. Summer is the only time I have not been to FL. Both my programs were in the spring and were finished in June before it got too hot.

I really enjoyed seeing the transformation of the kitchens over the decades - probably because I watch way too much HGTV. To the point, where when it got to the "modern day" (*cough the 90's with flat-screened tv's *cough), my husband whispered to me that he knew I hated that it was an open floorpan. :rotfl2:

Wow! Have they not updated the ride since the 90s? I know that Tomorrowland is the hardest to keep updated since it is supposed to be the future.

I have never done the Speedway. There was always a line for it and honestly I have repressed a memory of an experience I had on this type of ride at a different amusement park I went to with my 5th grade class. I accidentally drove over the guys foot when he told me to stop. Opps! Seems I stepped on the wrong peddle. The guy yelled at me. Ugh! It was an accident.

Aww the People Mover. I don't believe I did that ride either. Not sure what I was thinking. I missed a lot of rides when I worked there. Maybe I just didn't want to wait in lines at the time. I know they say now that there really isn't a slow time at Disney World but both of my programs started in January and during that time most of the rides were a walk on. (that was in the late 90s. We are talking pink castle.) I know when my sister took her kids to MK for the day she and her 4 year old daughter at that time had to be walked off the People Mover. It made a big impression on them.

Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Thank you so much!!! I always feel like gifs and memes help convey to better convey my thoughts. Especially ones from Friends and The Office. ;) haha

Yep, you can't go wrong with either of those! : )

I also like that you're keeping it real. Me and my hubs may have had a few "tiffs" while at the World and my kids haven't always been at their best!

Yep, you can't go wrong with either of those! : )

I also like that you're keeping it real. Me and my hubs may have had a few "tiffs" while at the World and my kids haven't always been at their best!

Aww, thank you! It's nice to know we aren't the only ones who have tiffs on vacay. I feel like being honest (without compromising privacy of course) can only be helpful! Especially if a reader hasn't been - best to keep expectations real, and sometimes that means expecting the tiffs.

This is totally something my girls would say!

Great Picture! I get why Disney does it but I can't image actually being in the Halloween spirit wiht 95 degree heat.

Hey, it's vacation! I feel like that is part of the disney magic!

Ha!

This ride is def "FOR" the kids. My girls love love love this ride. And Andy and I hate hate hate it. Ha.

Yeah, it was hard to be in the Halloween spirit. It's one of the reasons we didn't do the Halloween party - my kids weren't even thinking that far ahead!

And my kids both LOVE the speedway. It's their trip too so we have to give in!

I am enjoying your trip report. :dancer:

Totally agree that Halloween decorations in August is a bit cray cray!! It doesn't mesh with my memories of Halloween. Most of the time we would end up putting jackets over our costumes to keep warm.

I hear you with the amount of time we get to wear our shorts. I live in NH and our weather is much like you are describing living in Minnesota. When anyone asks I say we are lucky to get a good six weeks of summer. Winter seems to last forever and you blink and summer is over. :sad: Sorry Elsa I don't like your winter. Where did you leave before? I may have missed this if you mentioned it. I have lived in NH most of my life. I did spend 2 school years (Came home in the summers to NH) in VA teaching and in college I did the Disney College Program and advanced internship. I'm curious how the adjustment to the summer heat was for your family. Summer is the only time I have not been to FL. Both my programs were in the spring and were finished in June before it got too hot.

Wow! Have they not updated the ride since the 90s? I know that Tomorrowland is the hardest to keep updated since it is supposed to be the future.

I have never done the Speedway. There was always a line for it and honestly I have repressed a memory of an experience I had on this type of ride at a different amusement park I went to with my 5th grade class. I accidentally drove over the guys foot when he told me to stop. Opps! Seems I stepped on the wrong peddle. The guy yelled at me. Ugh! It was an accident.

Aww the People Mover. I don't believe I did that ride either. Not sure what I was thinking. I missed a lot of rides when I worked there. Maybe I just didn't want to wait in lines at the time. I know they say now that there really isn't a slow time at Disney World but both of my programs started in January and during that time most of the rides were a walk on. (that was in the late 90s. We are talking pink castle.) I know when my sister took her kids to MK for the day she and her 4 year old daughter at that time had to be walked off the People Mover. It made a big impression on them.

Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Ha, I hear ya about jackets at Halloween. Although, I grew up in TX, so it was more like, is this year going to be warm enough not to need a jacket??

The Florida heat wasn't an adjustment for us because we're from Texas, and as a military family, just moved to MN last year from the Mojave desert. It was over 100 degrees in OCTOBER there. But that humidity took us a few days - it's just on another level!

Yeah, looks like the last real update was the 90's. You could tell they updated some of the technology, but definitely not the kitchen!

Definitely do the PeopleMover! Especially if you just need to chill for a bit!

Chapter 7: Aug. 21 (Part 2): "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

***continued***

So we speed-walked out of the MK to get to our 'Ohana reservation at 4 pm. I had tried for months to get a later time on Mouse Dining, and finally started texts with later times the day before. (We decided not to change our time, since we already had everything planned around it.) So take heart if you can't get the dining reservations you wanted! It's possible to get something the day of!

tenor.gif

We took the monorail over to the Poly, since it was right there and the boat wasn't. We didn't want to chance being late and by the time we got to the monorail it was already 3:40ish. Once we got there and went inside, we were just blown away with how gorgeous it was. Hubs and I honeymooned in Hawaii, and it definitely made us miss being there. We got checked in and had a few minutes to marvel at our surroundings before getting seated. We asked to sit as close to a window as we could.

Poly 3.jpg

Behind the pillar on the left is the castle, which I could actually see from my seat, but for some reason it didn't photograph. Our waitress came over to take our drink order and talk to Rex about her food allergies (once again, Disney was amazing!) When she asked what I wanted, I just said, "I saw a pineapple." She said, "Yes, you want the Lapu Lapu."

Yes. I did. I really really did!

Poly 4.jpg
Hey! Get your own pineapple, dang it!

Aww man, that drink was so yummy. Luckily I'd been drinking lots of water already, so I didn't fall over after only having a frozen fruit bar for lunch (#vacay). She immediately started bringing us food...

Poly 5.jpg

I'm sorry that my food pics aren't to the proper standard of the Disboards. If you'd like to contribute to my vacation fund, I'll be happy to return and take some more. :thumbsup2

So they started with the bread, which was yummy, but we were looking forward to the next dish: noodles, chicken wings, pork dumplings, and veggies (which we made the kids eat, since they didn't want the wings or dumplings!) Oh my gosh, it was all SO GOOD! I will say this is definitely a meal where your hands are going to get dirty.

And then you just lick your fingers, so it's like, second eats. :laughing:

Seriously, I just get so hungry looking at this picture! The atmosphere in there was so fun, and the staff was awesome. You could just tell everyone was there to have a great time. There was the entertainer with the ukulele, and the kids loved the coconut broom race (does that even have an official name?).....

Poly 7.jpg

.....and then of course, there were the skewers. All the skewers.

Poly 8.jpg
Just keep bringing, just keep bringing...:rolleyes1

I think the chicken skewers were definitely my favorite. They were just so smoky and flavorful. I actually wish my dad could've been with us while we were there - he would've loved the all-you-can-eat aspect. Maybe I can convince him to plan a future trip if I show him the grand finale.....

...which is...

tenor.gif

...almost there...

Poly 9.jpg

Should I just finish my report here and let you salivate? Because I don't want to stop looking at this gloriousness! It's been a month now and I can STILL taste it when I look at this picture!

Banana's Fosters Bread Pudding. Well done, Disney, well done. :worship:

(Off to the side is the kids' desert - a rice crispy treat with Mickey sprinkles. They didn't even want to try the ice cream on ours! No problem, more for me then.)

My husband noticed that I didn't stuff myself silly with the skewers. When this came to our table, I told him this was why - I'd seen a picture of it and knew it was in our future. And that it would be the most important thing we ate at 'Ohana. :rotfl:

This resort is definitely on my "when we win the lottery" list of places to stay. After dinner, we took some pictures out in the lobby...

Poly 11.jpg

...then decided to head outside and look around before taking the boat back. While at dinner, we had changed Rex's 5:30 FP at Space to a 6:30ish Pirates FP for all of us. We didn't want to have to rush to get back, and she didn't want to throw up after eating our amazing and expensive yumminess. We got lei'd, got some pressed pennies, and wandered outside to find the boat docks.

On the way to the boat dock, my husband said he bet it was closed.

"Why? Why would they be closed? It's bright and sunny out!", I said.

"Because THAT'S why!", he said pointing behind me.

....aaaaand I turned to see the most ominous-looking clouds moving over the Poly bungalows.

So we walked....ALLLLLL the way to the boat dock....and sure enough....they weren't running. Great. Third day of our trip, second attempt to ride a boat, second failure. #whattheheck

So we trekked back over to the main lobby to catch the monorail. We got back to the MK and decided to take some pictures with the pumpkins and the castle in the background before the rain came. After that, we were coming up on our FP window, so we headed to Adventureland. While getting our stroller parked, we decided to cover it with one of our cheap ponchos we had with us.

Pirates is one of our absolute favorite rides, and having ridden the original one at DLR we were anxious to see the differences. We definitely liked the queue at WDW better - not that there's a whole lot to it per se (Bubs was a little scared that were going to be pirates hiding out!), but that it's mostly indoors. However, sorry WDW, but the DLR version reigns supreme. We really missed the quiet ride through the bayou at the beginning of the trip - when you have this sense that something frightening is lurking around the corner. Rex, Bubs and I rode in the front row and he was NOT happy about getting "wet" on it. But, both kids were, thankfully, less scared than they were the last time they rode on Pirates at DLR, over two years ago.

tenor.gif

After the ride, we came out into the Pirates gift shop, and realized it was definitely raining. Since the only other thing we really wanted to do that night was fireworks, we decided to stay put to see if the rain would let up, or if the fireworks would end up getting canceled. So the kids did what kids do: they had sword fights with other kids in the store while we yelled, "Be careful because we're not buying that!"

After about 45 minutes in the store, the rain had pretty much stopped, although we were still treated to some occasional lightening. We decided to go stake out a spot for fireworks. Upon returning to our stroller, we realized that someone had swiped our poncho! It wasn't lying anywhere near the stroller, so we're inclined to think it didn't just blow off. It kind of sucked to think that someone at Disney would just take something - and yes, it's only a poncho, but I guess I can't imagine "borrowing" someone else's stuff like that!

Anywho, it was nice to see Adventureland all lit up at night, and we got to the Hub to try to find a spot. Hubs found a spot, to the south of the Partner's statue, but we quickly realized there would be a few trees and light poles blocking part of our view. So I went off in search of another spot, and found one, just off to the side of the castle, by the sidewalk leading to Adventureland. Amazingly, there was just enough room for us, so I texted Hubs and Rex to bring the kids and stroller over.

fireworks.png

It wasn't the most straight-on view, but I think you'll agree, it was a fantastic view for finding it less than 20 minutes before showtime! Speaking of showtime, the lightening show we got beforehand was a resounding success, at no extra charge! The fireworks were scheduled to begin at 8:55, and didn't actually start until after 9:20. Everyone actually started cheering when they began. And boy, was it worth the wait!

collage.jpg
So sorry for the quality of the photo collage. #SorrynotSorry for needing to share the prettiness!

Pascal-from-Tangled-smiling-at-lanterns.gif

Basically us.

Because the fireworks started late, the park closed soon after, so we joined the masses heading out. We decided to take our time down Main Street and thought a shortcut through the Emporium was a good idea. We were quickly joined by 10,000 of our closest Disney friends who apparently also read the Dis and know the secrets of navigating the after-fireworks mass exodus. We stopped over at the candy store for a little bit, then proceeded to lose Hubs. Never lost my kids all week, but we lost an adult with a cell phone. :confused3

Alas, he brought back presents for us: Rafiki popcorn for Bubs, and for the girls....

Night 10.jpg

The no-longer-elusive rose gold Minnie ears! Boo was really excited that we all matched, of course. And that her ears were pink. And that they sparkled.

So we left the MK and decided, hey! We haven't taken a boat yet, so let's take it to the TTC! The monorail looked packed, but we were sure a boat would be coming soon to get the scarily-large crowd of people that we joined in line. And so, we waited.

And waited.

And did what we do best, and waited some more.

I'd say we waited well over 30-45 minutes for the boat. Somehow we heard a rumor that there was a medical emergency and that's why it wasn't coming - but we have no way of knowing the details of that or if it was true at all. All I know is, I was kicking myself once I realized that 1) We should've just walked to the Contemporary and grabbed the monorail there, and 2) We'd waited so long for the boat, and would have to walk through a huge crowd behind us to get out, that it really wasn't worth it to leave the line.

And so, we waited.

:charac2:

FINALLY the boat came. At that point it was all I could do to keep standing. We got to the TTC, then boarded a tram to our parking lot...

and waited some more.

Our tram driver definitely had a "leave no one behind" mentality, while you could tell everyone else had a "get this thing going before we make a scene" look on their face.

Yeah. It was MIDNIGHT when we got back to POR, parked, and inside under the covers.

This was really the only day that driving ourselves failed us. Although, I'm not sure if taking the bus would've been better. At least we didn't have to stand on the way home, which is good, since if I remember correctly, Bubs passed out as soon as he buckled his seatbelt!

Overall, we felt that despite waiting for the boat with the masses, and getting into bed at midnight, we'd had a very successful day. We completed a land (Tomorrowland), ate at 'Ohana, saw fireworks, didn't totally get rained on, and had minimal meltdowns and tiffs!

Hallelujah! #sogladtobeinbed

(04/23/19 - This post was edited because the forums ate my photos. :sad:)

Last edited:
Boooo hissss @ people that steal---and a poncho from a baby stroller. At Walt Disney World. Verily, not just Walt Disney World, but the MAGIC KINGDOM.

Wow.

Welp, hell is hot and lasts a long time, but hey! Enjoy that 3 dollar baby stroller poncho! :wave2: Story on Disboard: Guest at Magic Kingdom struck by lightning revealed to have been wearing a stolen poncho at time of death. Family of deceased barred for life from Disney parks.

Just sayin'. :bitelip:

Awww... sweet Hubs and the surprise gifts :love: You all look so gorgeous!

I'm having bad flash backs of past after-fireworks-park-exiting-debacles--the ones where I realize (half way to the resort) DOH! Why didn't we just <insert perfectly obvious answer that would have avoided the 2 hour transit time here>. Happens to the best of us--just don't say anything to anyone until about 6 months later, or your whole cred rating could be in jeopardy and you will never regain control of your group. They'll get all mutinous and attempt to begin thinking for themselves. Ha ha but probably that's just my unruly group. Normal ppl are probably entirely different in how they behave. o_O I really wouldn't know, I just have my family, so...:dance3:

I'm so happy for you in getting the good view of HEA after waiting out the rain! :thumbsup2

Yea! Another update! And about O'HANA! We had reservations for our 2012 trip but then our oldest came down with a fever, and we had a rough day were my hubs lost our rental car keys, and just all around we weren't feeling it so we cancelled. We have booked it for our next trip though - none of us have ever been so I loved your review and pics! Now I'm looking forward to it even more!!

And my kids both LOVE the speedway. It's their trip too so we have to give in!
One of our trips we ended up riding the Speedway 4 times in a row, it was early morning and basically no wait. The girls loved it. Oye!

Yes. I did. I really really did!

40667497_10113674869324134_1786730691765993472_n.jpg

Hey! Get your own pineapple, dang it!
Ha! That is totally what I thought when I looked at this picture.

40752498_10113674884314094_8440106998636216320_n.jpg

Should I just finish my report here and let you salivate? Because I don't want to stop looking at this gloriousness! It's been a month now and I can STILL taste it when I look at this picture!
I do like that they just bring out the rice krispee treats for the kids. My girls loved that thing, but that didn't stop them from eating the Rice Krispees as well.

40624282_10113674860411994_8949507956940996608_n.jpg

Speaking of showtime, the lightening show was a resounding success, at no extra charge! The fireworks were scheduled to begin at 8:55, and didn't actually start until after 9:20. Everyone actually started cheering when they began. And boy, was it worth the wait!
That is actually a really cool picture! And not that you wanted to wait, but kind of fun that the delay just made everyone that more excitied about the start.

40840140_10113674889304094_2146182517722447872_n.jpg

The no-longer-elusive rose gold Minnie ears! Boo was really excited that we all matched, of course. And that her ears were pink. And that they sparkled.
Cute!

Boooo hissss @ people that steal---and a poncho from a baby stroller. At Walt Disney World. Verily, not just Walt Disney World, but the MAGIC KINGDOM.

Wow.

Welp, hell is hot and lasts a long time, but hey! Enjoy that 3 dollar baby stroller poncho! :wave2: Story on Disboard: Guest at Magic Kingdom struck by lightning revealed to have been wearing a stolen poncho at time of death. Family of deceased barred for life from Disney parks.

Just sayin'. :bitelip:

Awww... sweet Hubs and the surprise gifts :love: You all look so gorgeous!

I'm having bad flash backs of past after-fireworks-park-exiting-debacles--the ones where I realize (half way to the resort) DOH! Why didn't we just <insert perfectly obvious answer that would have avoided the 2 hour transit time here>. Happens to the best of us--just don't say anything to anyone until about 6 months later, or your whole cred rating could be in jeopardy and you will never regain control of your group. They'll get all mutinous and attempt to begin thinking for themselves. Ha ha but probably that's just my unruly group. Normal ppl are probably entirely different in how they behave. o_O I really wouldn't know, I just have my family, so...:dance3:

I'm so happy for you in getting the good view of HEA after waiting out the rain! :thumbsup2

I could never imagine stealing from someone else's stroller, so it's always amazing to me when people do that!

I think the only thing that kept us from creating a mutiny was knowing that we were going to get to sleep in the next day. But for real, that boat sure took its sweet precious time coming to get us!

Glad you're enjoying the report!

Yea! Another update! And about O'HANA! We had reservations for our 2012 trip but then our oldest came down with a fever, and we had a rough day were my hubs lost our rental car keys, and just all around we weren't feeling it so we cancelled. We have booked it for our next trip though - none of us have ever been so I loved your review and pics! Now I'm looking forward to it even more!!

Wow, that sucks that you had to cancel, but I'm glad you get a second chance to go! It was one of our very favorite places!

One of our trips we ended up riding the Speedway 4 times in a row, it was early morning and basically no wait. The girls loved it. Oye!

Ha! That is totally what I thought when I looked at this picture.

I do like that they just bring out the rice krispee treats for the kids. My girls loved that thing, but that didn't stop them from eating the Rice Krispees as well.

That is actually a really cool picture! And not that you wanted to wait, but kind of fun that the delay just made everyone that more excitied about the start.

Cute!

I think I would've enjoyed our ride on the Speedway more if I hadn't kept getting caught in a traffic jam caused by a child driving alone. I was thinking...I can sit in traffic at home...:charac2:

My husband definitely lamented not getting his own Lapu Lapu! He found the recipe online and made one for us at home though!

The lightening - at that point we didn't even care if we got struck. It was actually pretty cool to watch. Just sucked that it pushed the fireworks back to late that we got stuck in the huge crowds leaving.

Well well well....my apologies for the drought in updates! Life has just gotten away from me the past month. I feel like the midwestern allergens are trying to kill me every day this fall!

So without further ado, let's get on with the show!

Chapter 8: Aug. 22 (Part 1) "Let's just have this out right here!"

So...you might read this title and think you're going to read about another "tiff".

and....

You would be right.

_1474639293.gif

We'll pretend it was exactly like this.

We woke up on Wednesday, August 22 around 9:30 am, after not setting an alarm.

Every.part.of.my.body.was.in.serious.pain.

WHY DID IT ALL HURT SO BAD?!?!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY BODY, DISNEY?!?!

5LYM.gif

Despite having brought the entire contents of our medicine cabinet with us, nothing seemed to work to get rid of the unbelievable pain and grogginess that was attacking my body. Our plan was to go to FQ to eat breakfast, then have pool time basically all day before having date night that evening.

We all thought about just staying in bed, but when I reminded everyone about BEIGNETS, we decided to make the sacrifice and head out. We drove over (Hubs asked if we should take the boat...lol...I was like, heck no, my legs can't take the walk to the dock, we're driving!), and admired the beautiful architecture of the French Quarter.

upload_2018-10-23_11-34-20.jpeg

The obligatory "FQ lobby is beautiful but back-lit" photo.

upload_2018-10-23_11-37-46.jpeg
Top left, please.

It was interesting to see the differences between the two Port Orleans resorts. POR's lobby was more grand, and FQ felt livelier. No doubt that FQ was a beautiful resort, but I think we all preferred how peaceful POR was.

Alright. Enough lobby talk. I know what you really want to see....food pics!

upload_2018-10-23_11-42-44.jpeg

Those beignets were AMAZING!!! Definitely worth leaving the hotel room for. Fortunately, they had (non-Mickey-shaped) gluten-free beignets for Rex (she was really worried that this would be the one place in all of Disney without an option!)

Mmmm. Mmm mmm mmm. We had been trying to eat well in our room for breakfast each morning, but these Mickey-heads-of-deep-fried-satisfaction were so worth the extra calories. We added some bacon, because we needed the protein too, and because bacon goes with everything (according to Hubs.)

Afterward, we checked out the pool area and grounds for a few minutes...

upload_2018-10-23_11-54-47.jpeg

upload_2018-10-23_11-55-1.jpeg

upload_2018-10-23_11-55-14.jpeg

...and then headed back inside to shop.

At this point, we suddenly remembered...Monday...Hollywood Studios...a cast member...Ryan...has a wife...she works at FQ...we're supposed to meet her! Hubs wasn't in a great mood from being so tired, so Rex and I left him and the kids in the gift shop while we went to the lobby and asked if Ryan's wife was working that day. (Yes, we did ask for her by her actual name.) The CM we asked seemed rather confused...almost as if he couldn't understand why we were asking to say hi to someone...

...but then said the only person he knew by that name wasn't working that day. Alas, that would end up being our only time in the lobby at FQ, so we said thank you and went to the gift shop to catch up with everyone. So Ryan, if you're reading this, thank you for letting us go to the front of the line at the character meets! We tried to meet your wife but she wasn't there, but we won't forget your generosity of spirit! :littleangel:

We went back to our room at POR and finished getting ready to go to the pool. Rex had some work to catch up on, so she was going to stay in our quiet room with her laptop and meet us later. Hubs and the kids and I took our laundry and headed to the pool.

I told Hubs I would go put on the laundry and catch up with him and the kids at the pool. He offered to do it for me, so I did what wives do and gave him my instructions. (Because yes, he is fully able to do laundry, but as husbands know, wives have their own way of needing things done.)

Laundry-1443034647.gif

We're also gonna pretend this was EXACTLY what I said instead.

The kids and I headed to the pool and took the "long" way. Apparently, what looks like an equidistant route on the POR map is actually...not. For those of you familiar with the resort (or, if you just want to look on the POR map online), we were in building 17 and did laundry at the building between ours and 27. I decided, let's take the trail to the left, toward Magnolia Bend, and go across Ol' Man Island to the main pool that way, it doesn't look far!

Ha. Haha. Bless my little Ol' heart. :rotfl:

Well, at least it was scenic:

upload_2018-10-23_12-27-4.jpeg
The point of no return...

upload_2018-10-23_12-27-37.jpeg

upload_2018-10-23_12-27-55.jpeg

It's like the Riverside version of the Cave of Wonders...

upload_2018-10-23_12-28-28.jpeg

When we got to the pool, lo and behold, it was closed, because there were rain clouds looming.

giphy.gif

Notice I said "looming", because otherwise, it wasn't raining and it wasn't too overcast. Nevertheless, we'd only been there for 3 days, and it was actually becoming a joke to us at that point, that the rain clouds were there to dampen our spirits. :rolleyes:

According to the times on my phone, the pool was only closed for about 15 minutes, so we went in and found some chairs to drop our stuff.

Since I'm out of room to post more photos, you'll just have to wait until the next chapter!

(Although, I guess you could Google "Port Orleans Riverside Ol' Man Island pool". But, don't.

giphy.gif

Just say no.)

***to be continued***

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter