• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

upgrade?

shpdem

Mouseketeer
I am new to renting dvc points, do you ever get a free surprise upgrade upon check-in?

I am new to renting dvc points, do you ever get a free surprise upgrade upon check-in?

Its much more rare to get a free upgrade with DVC.
DVC does own 2% of the units as spares if there is a big maintaince issue that takes a room out of service.
With ownership, its like asking your condo manager if you can stay in the penthouse for your birthday....no, someone else owns the penthouse.

No. The only way is if the room you rented has issues and gets taken out of service and there is no other rooms of the same type available.

If you ask for an upgrade they will take the extra points from the members account you rented from and that is not good.

ok thanks for the info this is my first time renting, so better to ask now from the ones who know.

We just came back from Aulani and we actually was delightfully surprised that we received a free upgrade from a standard view to an island/garden view. I'm not sure why. It was the first time it's ever happened to us. I'm thinking it rarely ever happens...

ok thanks for the info this is my first time renting, so better to ask now from the ones who know.

:thumbsup2

We just came back from Aulani and we actually was delightfully surprised that we received a free upgrade from a standard view to an island/garden view. I'm not sure why. It was the first time it's ever happened to us. I'm thinking it rarely ever happens...

Be sure to check your points over the next week or so. Be SURE it was free.

Only time it really happens is if there's something wrong with the room intended for you, or they gave the room intended for you to someone else who had a problem with the room for them.

As noted, this is not the usual. With a hotel, giving you an occasional or VIP status upgrade may increase overall long term revenue. If they have the room, it literally costs them nothing. With timeshares, the reverse is true. Theoretically there shouldn't be many times not obligated or reserved. If they routinely upgraded, members would tend to buy less points, not more. Larger villas cost more to clean and maintain. There are some timeshares that have a VIP system where they do give extra benefits and upgrades, to qualify you usually have to have a lot of points (or similar) and usually those must not be resale points/weeks. The exceptions you could argue would be for renters and cash guests as in your situation but since they also want to discourage private renting, that too would go against you.

I am one of the few to have had multiple upgrades on points:

1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked standard view room at 5 days out, due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room.

We also received a surprise upgrade for DH and I in a AKL studio and my dad and DS that joined us in a separate studio 3 days later. We reserved standard and each got savannah view. Our points did not change. I triple checked that!!

I think it helped that it was in January and the resort was not full.

The only time we have gotten upgrades on points was when the points had been traded out to the Disney Collection, ie. Reservation points. 2 out of 3 times we got upgraded hotel rooms simply because they had them available and felt like spreading some pixie dust; the hotel wasn't very full (DLH). It worked, now we love staying on-site even when we run out of points/are too late to book our home resort.

I'm thinking this is also why com_op_2000 got an upgrade on DCL. We've been upgraded 1 time out of 3 on DCL so far (then we opted for a downgrade instead for location reasons), though that was on cash. Once the points are traded out to the Disney Collection, other than fees you are treated much like a cash guest in terms of upgrades because cash guests is all Disney collection is really used to.

I could be wrong, though.

TDluvsDaisy said:
We also received a surprise upgrade for DH and I in a AKL studio and my dad and DS that joined us in a separate studio 3 days later. We reserved standard and each got savannah view. Our points did not change. I triple checked that!!

I think it helped that it was in January and the resort was not full.

Some of the standard view rooms used to be classified as Savanah view so many people think they are being upgraded when they are actually getting what used to be a room people complained about but at least DVC did something about the rooms people complained about at BLT and AKV.

We had a six night stay booked at BWV in August. We booked a two bedroom boardwalk view villa and were upgraded to a boardwalk view grand villa. It was wonderful!

We had a six night stay booked at BWV in August. We booked a two bedroom boardwalk view villa and were upgraded to a boardwalk view grand villa. It was wonderful!
For six nights, now that's a score! Do you know the reason why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter