Upgrading a Room at the DLH

Shelebeen

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, wondering what you would do...
We are heading to the DLR on Oct 24 - 29. We have a room booked through Costco travel and WDTC at the DLH. The only option when I booked was a standard view room. We are hoping for a pool or even better a downtown disney or park view.

I have since noticed that you can book those with Costco and WDTC, so I am wondering if I should call and make sure our reservation shows we want one of those and pay the difference,
or should I wait and hope there might be an upgrade?

If you really want a preferred view, it may be better to just book it. There is a chance you get upgraded from what I hear, but it isn't guaranteed. If you are willing to chance it, then save your money. We were just at the DLH and booked a resort view room. We got there pretty early and asked to have a fireworks view because the kids really wanted to see them from the room. They said they didn't have any rooms available with that view for us because of the length of our stay, we were there for 7 nights. Not quite sure what that meant, but oh well. It may have been, too, that it was because we were using DVC points to stay there. We have a great room on the 8th floor of the marina tower though, overlooking the pool. The kids loved that. Of course every time we were in the room, the kids would run to the window and declare that there were people in the pool so they wanted to swim. It was cold last week though!

sgtdisney said:
We were just at the DLH and booked a resort view room. We got there pretty early and asked to have a fireworks view because the kids really wanted to see them from the room. They said they didn't have any rooms available with that view for us because of the length of our stay, we were there for 7 nights. Not quite sure what that meant, but oh well.
My guess at an explanation: I've read that they make the room assignments 3 days before your arrival. I bet the 'fireworks view' rooms are pretty popular, so if you didn't make this request until you arrived, they may already have been booked up for that timeframe, not only for your day of arrival but also 3 days into your stay. (Maybe they would have had a room available now, but it was booked to someone else in 3 days. I don't think they would offer to book you into one room only to make you move to another in a few days.)

It may make a difference, too, in your day of arrival. I've heard generally in the hotel industry it's easier to get your choice of room on a Sunday arrival, whereas Saturday will have many guests staying over until Sunday, as well as many new arrivals.

We just returned from a stay at Grand Californian - I had booked a standard room through AAA and requested bunk beds- I was surprised when we checked in that we were upgraded without asking to a pool view that also had a partial park view. The kids loved it :sunny: We did check in on a sunday if that makes a difference as the previous poster mentioned.

I suppose that is possible. I had thought of calling early and requesting a fireworks view room, but then thought we'd wing it. I kind of had wanted to stay in a Sierra tower room because that was the tower I first stayed in in the late 60s when I visited there as a small kid with my parents. The Cast Member went in the back to see if they could change and came out and said it had to do with our length of stay. I suspect you are right that the scheduling with our time just didn't coincide with an open room.

We really liked our Marina tower room as well, the pool view was very nice. I stayed in that tower in '75 with my folks that was nostalgic as well. We had fun and saw the fireworks twice from ground level in the Magic Kingdom.

I've never upgraded how does that work? :confused3 Do you just ask? What do charges look like when you upgrade. We are set to arrive next Sunday at the DH. First time visit at the hotel first time for DS 9-13 :Pinkbounc :bounce: at Disneyland. Are they excited or what!! :banana:

Diana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter