Ups and Downs Half Way Thru

CoachBeard

Mouseketeer
I feel the need to share my experiences as I’m just about halfway through my current solo trip to WDW and stuff keeps happening yet I can’t figure out why. Some of it is small and not a huge deal but it stacks up because this isn’t my normal dining out experience and Disney is associated with all things service. Add to that the prices I’m paying and the service should be better

I’ve previously shared my Shula’s experience from late 2022 where my party of one was seemingly overlooked so the server could be sure his income would be adequate from the parties 4, 6, and 8 also sat in his section that evening.

This trip has been hit or miss and strange. I was sat at a table in Steakhouse 71 solo and had excellent and attentive service from Nancy. She was a rockstar.

The next day at Nomad Lounge I joined the 55 minute waitlist. I showed up when they texted, didn’t bug anyone, waited patiently. I received the text my table was ready and they had me stand to the side while the “table was being wiped down”. I overheard the staff discussing availability at the bar and I should have spoken up in favor of that but I’d never been there before so I was hoping for a patio seat. However if they’d offered the bar I would have agreed to it. I waited and waited and waited. People who showed up after me were sat. Not sure where they were in the queue or not but it looked bad for sure, and especially with the added wait they gave me. I was “staged” by the host spot for quite a while. When I was finally sat they were apologetic. The server was clearly busy so I made sure to be ready to order. My drink came and then my food came. I bit into it and it was cold in the middle. This is odd… Disney has good QC. So I tried the other piece and it was cold too. I was just going to leave it but when the server came by to ask how it was I inquired about the temperature. I didn’t know if maybe it was normal given this isn’t a cuisine I typically eat. The flavor was fantastic so I was disappointed that I had to send it back. He kindly offered to remake it but I asked for the bill since I had a reservation for a prepaid event to get to at a resort.

To their credit, the server was really good although very busy. The manager, Bill came over to talk to me I’m guessing the server told him what happened. Probably policy too. Bill offered to comp my meal and drink. I offered to pay for the drink since I consumed it and he wouldn’t let me. I left a cash tip for the server because this wasn’t his fault.

Last night I ate at California grill. The last time I was there about a year ago as a solo diner I had one of the best experiences and meals ever. Last night the server had the wrong starter come out and while he offered me bread service which I was looking forward to, the starter came before the bread. I mean not the end of the world but at home when I dine out I don’t have these issues.

Homecoming brunch the other day… I was sat on the patio in the worst seat they had.

No big deal but they had the heaters on full blast. They refused to turn the down for me due to other customers. Ok, fine can I move? Nope. Server offers water then never brings it. Aside from dropping my entree he was non-existent. No water refills no offers to order another alcoholic drink, etc… he was nice but it was clear he couldn’t give 💩about me.

I’m hoping the rest of the trip goes much better. I’ve worked in the service industry and my significant other of many years has been a server for over 20 years so I’m aware of what goes on behind the scenes I understand tipping culture. I’m not an annoying or picky diner, I know what I want to drink I usually have an idea of the menu and what I might want and I don’t often make substitutions. I’m not fussy at all but I do expect to be treated as any other party sat in the restaurant.

So sorry to hear about your experiences. Service can make such a difference in a dining experience. We have had similar experiences as a party of 2. We were recently ignored at Via Napoli while the server focused on the party of 8 next to us. We don't drink alcohol and sometimes once we order soda or water and it becomes clear there's no alcohol being ordered we also get ignored. That was our experience a couple times at Three Bridges and the patio at Chef Art Smith's. We haven't been back to either place since. Sending pixie dust that the rest of your week is great!

You’ve kinda got to let it go. You’re doing a lot of dining in a short period of time, things are gonna misfire. Disney made Nomad right so that’s nice, they want to keep your business. You had an average server at CA Grill, you expected more but this dust up seems so minor I’d barely register it beyond thinking “not gonna be rockstar service tonight”.

However I would not let the Homecoming memory go, that was straight up rude. Plates drop so that part wouldn’t get me at all- the refusal to move you showed management didn’t value you as a customer, they valued turning your table instead. The server practically ignoring you shows you were not valued by staff either. I’d remember the incident to remind myself not to return. (I also would not associate Homecoming with Disney. The only association they have is they pay a rent bill to the Mouse.)

Really sorry to hear about your experience! I hope the rest of your trip goes better!

I’m not trying to be “that” person because I’m very similar to you in your approach as a diner, but if you are staying on property, I would try to have a discussion with the resort concierge and express your concern. I’m not sure they could do anything (and I’m not asserting you should do it to try to get something out of it like comped meals or money back because it is clear that isn’t really what you want), but I would see it as a way for them to have the opportunity to make it right.

But JMO.

I would at least want to give them that opportunity. But I could also see if you don’t want to waste your vacation doing that!

Like I said, I just hope it does get better for you!!

You’ve kinda got to let it go. You’re doing a lot of dining in a short period of time, things are gonna misfire. Disney made Nomad right so that’s nice, they want to keep your business. You had an average server at CA Grill, you expected more but this dust up seems so minor I’d barely register it beyond thinking “not gonna be rockstar service tonight”.

However I would not let the Homecoming memory go, that was straight up rude. Plates drop so that part wouldn’t get me at all- the refusal to move you showed management didn’t value you as a customer, they valued turning your table instead. The server practically ignoring you shows you were not valued by staff either. I’d remember the incident to remind myself not to return. (I also would not associate Homecoming with Disney. The only association they have is they pay a rent bill to the Mouse.)
I think I’m letting it go. I’m not complaining to management or anything. Like I said it was several little things that stacked up and I felt this was a decent place to vent.

At the same time I’m spending loads of money on this trip and my bill for some of these meals exceeds $120 before tip so I expect a little more. I don’t think that’s unreasonable given the level of service the company evangelizes.

Edit: as for homecoming it doesn’t matter. They’re on property and regardless of ownership they are expected to perform to a certain standard in order to even be on property. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are clauses surrounding that topic in their contract.

Hope your experience improves like immediately 😉 - I think many of us assume when at Disney that there might be one or two experiences in a weeks time that are less than stellar... but it sounds like you are encountering more than a one off- perhaps understaffed facilities and too many corners cut. FWIW- I would walk away from a dining reservation rather than be uncomfortable through the whole meal. (Shame on Homecoming for not being able to take the hit and leave one bad seat unfilled, I mean seriously, one seat?) I agree with motherdaughtercruisers- speak to the concierge regarding your perception of how service has changed since your last visit. I believe this feedback is important if improvements are going to be made. In our recent visits, service levels have changed, more inconsistent.... less reliable quality.

I appreciate the support. I really hate to complain unless it’s really bad. Compounded experiences don’t necessarily warrant that, hence my rant here.

Updating my dining experiences since posting…

Last night I went to Raglan Road and had a great experience. Sat at the bar and had some drinks and food. Great service. Except… the server claimed her employee number wasn’t set up to take gift cards so I’d have to pay debit credit or cash. That was annoying and I think the liquid courage inside of me did allow me go to the front desk where I spoke with a great manager. I made sure I didn’t want anything disciplinary or punitive to happen to the server but I expressed my frustration with not being able to use my gift card (I pay for everything here with them). He agreed she wouldn’t be in trouble and they’d find out the issue. I get it, my new guy at work is a month in and still waiting for basic IT stuff so we can train him.

Lunch today was at Le Cellier and it was fantastic. Great food, wonderful service. It certainly put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I’m currently at a very busy Jock Lindsay’s again and enjoying the vibe here. Will report back in a day or two if I end up doing any more table service restaurants. I’ve been keeping busy while going at a slower pace this trip because I have double the park days from last trip yet I’m making a “to do list” because I keep forgetting some of the little things I’ve meant to do while here.

Oh also, ale and compass lounge great service and cool little spot. I’m hoping to make it back to Abracadabar since I’ve yet to visit this trip.

Are there any hidden gems of bars I should check out? Terrirory Lounge was fine but just wasn’t the same as years ago. Geyser Point was great twice. I skipped trader Sam’s and hit the patio bar my first night. I’ve been to Sam’s in California probably 20 times so I’m good and we have better tiki bars in Ventura and north Hollywood. I’ve also been to polite pig once this trip because I love bbq and their whiskey selection is unreal!

Glad things are starting to look up. I'll throw in I've had hit or miss service through the years (and I'm talking way back to the early 80s) for two tops and single diners. My son and I have been to some of the places that everyone thinks are the best thing since sliced bread and had bad service and so so food. We always feel like they try to mix it up for the servers by giving them a mix of large tables and two tops. The servers tend to pay more attention to the large tables, not saying because they think they are going to get a bigger tip, but probably because large tables can just demand more attention. When I go solo, again, I've had hit or miss, even at the same place. I've had great service as a solo at Nomads and not so great but my food has always been good. We (my son and I) had horrible service at Jikos and the food was just o.k. We had bad service at Mon. Paul and o.k. food. Worst service we have ever had on property was back about 6 or 7 years ago at Sanaa, which everyone raves about. It was three of us and from beginning to end just bad. We had to wait for absolutely everything, to the point where we watched our server turn over 2 or 3 tables in the time it took us to get to our entre. My son had to send back a drink and he will drink anything, he also only ate about 1/4 of his meal because it was just bad and Indian type cuisine is his favorite. I think the meal took us 3 hours, we were the last people in the place. So bad service, bad drinks and bad food = we will never go back. Other places like Jiko and Mon. Paul we will chalk up to they were having a bad night and will probably try it again later on.

I appreciate the support. I really hate to complain unless it’s really bad. Compounded experiences don’t necessarily warrant that, hence my rant here.

Updating my dining experiences since posting…

Last night I went to Raglan Road and had a great experience. Sat at the bar and had some drinks and food. Great service.
SUPER excited to hear this!!! We will be eating there the night of the day we fly in!

Glad things are looking up! In terms of hidden gem bars, the bar at Flying Fish on the Boardwalk is one of my favorites. Love Victoria Falls Lounge in Animal Kingdom Lodge and bar in Jiko is great too (also love sitting at the 'chef's counter' (not what they call it) where you can interact with chefs preparing appetizers. Crew's Cup next to Yachtsman is also a favorite. If you're in Disney Springs, the dockside bar at Boathouse is delightful, weather permitting. I also really enjoy Wine Bar George. If you want to splurge, the rooftop bar at Capa at the Four Seasons is amazing. Bar Riva at the Riviera resort is fun, as is the bar at Topolino's - they also have a rooftop deck with lounge seating - can't order out there but could get a drink inside and take it out with you.

We had a similar experience at the Boathouse, whereby our table of two having one course with soft drinks was treated with contempt compared to the party of four ordering alcohol in abundance as well as several courses. The server couldn't even hide his disdain for us when he eventually came to our table. Coming from the UK that type of service would NOT be tipped, but being in the US I tipped the absolute minimum and left.

So glad the good experiences are starting to balance out :-) I have always enjoyed Raglan Road, and Geyser Point is one of my favorites! Hope the rest of the trip maintains this good vibe!

We had a similar experience at the Boathouse, whereby our table of two having one course with soft drinks was treated with contempt compared to the party of four ordering alcohol in abundance as well as several courses. The server couldn't even hide his disdain for us when he eventually came to our table. Coming from the UK that type of service would NOT be tipped, but being in the US I tipped the absolute minimum and left.
You don't have to tip for bad service, even in US.

So glad the good experiences are starting to balance out :-) I have always enjoyed Raglan Road, and Geyser Point is one of my favorites! Hope the rest of the trip maintains this good vibe!
Josh with the bandana at the Geyser Point bar is the guy to go see. He took care of me three times during my trip and has a great sense of humor and is really good at his job.

Saturday I had one of the first reservations for Space 220 and despite being sat at the far back high top next to the kitchen entrance with no one sat near me for the majority of my meal, my server played her character very well, checked on me at appropriate times and was very good as well as engaging. I can’t remember her name, everything was a whirlwind at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter