Upset by points/cash requirements for cruise!!

Jamie

Mouseketeer
Just called to make my first res and first found out we will not be in the system until Monday(closed on resale last Friday). Then I found out if you book a cruise using points and cash you have to pay the entire cash amount up front. This seems terrible unfair considering that you can make a $200 deposit (per person) if you pay all cash. Not sure how I missed this as I read these boards all the time. Has anyone made their reservation with just the adults and then added the kids later? Any downside to doing this? Thanks

Has anyone made their reservation with just the adults and then added the kids later? Any downside to doing this?
The downside is that when you book a cruise for two, you're likely to be assigned a stateroom that sleeps only three passengers (or, in the case of Categories 8, 10, 11 amd 12, one that sleeps only two passengers).

If, several months later, you want tp add two children, there may not be room for them in your assigned stateroom. And there may not be any staterooms for four left in your category! If there are staterooms left, chances are that better, midship locations will all be assigned, and you'll get a location that's not as good as your original assignment.

According to the Disney Cruise Line 2001-2002 brochure:
  • Category 1 -- Sleeps 7
  • Category 2 -- Sleeps 7
  • Category 3 -- Sleeps 4, some sleep 5
  • Category 4 -- Sleeps 4, some sleep 5
  • Category 5 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 4
  • Category 6 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 4
  • Category 7 -- Sleeps 3
  • Category 8 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 2 or 4
  • Category 9 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 4
  • Category 10 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 2 or 4
  • Category 11 -- Sleeps 3, some sleep 2 or 4
  • Category 12 -- Sleeps 2, some sleep 3
I don't know if there are other ramifications when rebooking the cruise with a higher number of passengers.

If you're planning on bringing the kids, I would recommend booking all members of the family at the same time -- unless Member Services can absolutely assure you that you'll be assigned to a stateroom that will hold your entire family, and that there will not be any problem adding the children later.

There are no guarantees you can add children or other passengers later after booking even if your room has space to hold them. The reason is that the kids clubs have quotas and once they are filled, they do not accept more children of that age group, the dining room and lifeboats have occupancy limits too and the ship can actually be booked to capacity although your particular room may have a bed open.

I have cruised on points and it is standard procedure to pay the fares for any cash passengers in full up front as well as the $75 transfer fee. I still felt it to be worthwhile to enjoy using my points on a cruise. You always have the option to book entirely with cash through DCL or a travel agent and save your points for another vacation. Good luck! :)

I thought you could NOT use a combo of points and cash from a cruise. Also, if you can, is it allowable to use points for one person (in a two-person party) and and pay cash for the second?

We were told at one of the weekly meetings at BWV, that DCL is the only booking that you can mix and split points with cash !!! The CM was very very clear on this. Yes you CAN use points and cash.

You must book one adult with points then after that you can use points or cash. I don't think you can do one adult and the kids for points and another adult for cash though. You also cannot pay for one person with a combination of points and cash.

As long as you pay for one adult with points, you can mix up the remainder with cash and points (this is per MS when I made our ressies) Keep in mind, you can not pay for one person with a combination of points and cash. It must be either or. We paid points for the two adults and cash for my son.

Any changes here. Can you use a cash / points combo for Cat 1-3 statrerooms? Previoulsy, you could only use point to book up to Category 4

I didn't know the cash was upfront either. That may put the kibosh on my cruise in 2004, since we will have to pay at least 3000 dollars out of pocket.
Robin M.

Due to the Demand for Cat 1-3 by cash customers, DCL does not allow DVC to contract for those cabins. (This is not DVC's decision, but DCL's)

We are tentatively planning a Disney cruise in either late summer of 2002 or spring of 2003 using points for 2 adults and cash for 2 kids. We haven't checked in to pricing yet, so I'm just curious what sort of money are we talking about for the kids, paying cash for them. We are planning on a 7 day cruise.

FYI:
We're booked for a July 2002 cruise and I used points and cash. I was told so long as you alternate between points and cash we could do both. So first adult is points, second adult is cash, first child is points and second was cash. We are staying in a Cat. 6 cabin, the childs' price was $629.00; adult price was $1774.00. We've been on the DCL before using all points and I think that these are very reasonable prices considering everything included, and the wonderful vacation that it allows you to have. :earsgirl:
Love being a DVC Member,
Diane

The last couple years, DCL has had Springtime Magic promotions where kids were either $399 or $499, depending on the dates. They also have fall fantasy promotions that I think usually begin in late August or early September. If you can go doing those times, it will save you a lot of money.

The price quote I got for an early August 2002 cruise (Western Carribbean) was $703 for our 10 yr old and 903 for our then 13 year old. Hope this helps.

Note that for the Summer 2002 (Eastern Carrib) kids prices are different between DVC and DCL which added to the value of using points for the adults and cash for kids.

DCL kids price ---- 799

DVC kids price ----- 629

That is $170 less per kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter