USD Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

Capital One is the only major provider who does NOT charge this 2.5% fee... at least to my knowledge.

Knox

Actually there are some mastercards AND visas that don't as well. American Express, however, does charge a fee. Living right on the border, I'm getting pretty used to checking this stuff out.

There was something on a news program recently that got people all upset about cc's charging them conversion fees that they weren't aware of. After that, DH and I started looking at our statements very closely and doing some inquiring. As with most news stories, they generated a bit of hysteria unnecessarily. It's easy to find out. Just contact your cc company.

Does anybody know how long it takes to get this card?
I just saw this thread and we leave for WDW in 1.5 weeks.

if your a bmo client go in NOW and tell them you need this asap. they can fast track your card, but they will only do this is your know to them.:thumbsup2

I applied online and told the guy I needed it rushed. He told me he couldn't promise but he would try.
If it comes in time it comes in time.
I wish I would have paid attention to this issue a month ago!

I applied over the phone for my BMO US Dollar Mastercard.

Mine came in 1 1/2 weeks.

I am crossing my fingers it comes before I leave for Black Friday on the 22nd.
If not I'll take cash with me. In WDW we are taking some cash and had planned on using our regular card. The 2.5% conversion rate makes me mad though. As if they don't ding us enough already!

Question for the BMO person, or anyone else that might know the answer. I have a BMO US bank acct....if I get this card & use it on my trip, can I pay the card with my US acct? I'd rather convert my money as the $ is good & not chance the rate for when the bill comes in.

I've been looking for an option for a while now. Most places won't cash traveller's cheques anymore, and we try to do our trip all cash. This would be the best, because we'd just put the card away with unused passes & only take it out when we're going south.

Thanks for the info!!

Question for the BMO person, or anyone else that might know the answer. I have a BMO US bank acct....if I get this card & use it on my trip, can I pay the card with my US acct? I'd rather convert my money as the $ is good & not chance the rate for when the bill comes in.

I've been looking for an option for a while now. Most places won't cash traveller's cheques anymore, and we try to do our trip all cash. This would be the best, because we'd just put the card away with unused passes & only take it out when we're going south.

Thanks for the info!!

yup! you just wait for the bill to come in, go up to the teller and say 'pay this from my us acct please'. this is how i do it. it is just so much easier to pick up some us cash every pay and put it into my acct. then i do not have to come up with large amounts for trips. getting airmiles on the card is another bonus. its win, win. your going to be amazed how easy and convienent it is.
now if i could only get bmo to give me a raise from all the us acts and us m/c i have helped them get.......:rotfl2:

Well, I went in to BMO and applied for one today. The teller gave me a bonus of 50 Air Miles and said I should have it by December. I also didn't have much to fill out - she said it was because I already had the regular A/M MasterCard. Thinking a little more about it now, perhaps it wasn't the best thing to do since I'll probably just go shopping a lot more. :rotfl:

Well, I went in to BMO and applied for one today. The teller gave me a bonus of 50 Air Miles and said I should have it by December. I also didn't have much to fill out - she said it was because I already had the regular A/M MasterCard. Thinking a little more about it now, perhaps it wasn't the best thing to do since I'll probably just go shopping a lot more. :rotfl:

ata girl, make us proud!:thumbsup2

I had to title it as that cause I just can't get it all straight in my head.

I did get a BMO no fee US card. It is my understanding I don't pay any conversion and it is dollar for dollar when I buy in US- however- I have to pay the bill in US money right? Well I have to pay a conversion to change my Canadian money to US so I am still paying the conversion- therefore I am wondering why having the US card is better overall? I am probably just confused- as usual-:confused3 - please help me clarify- thanks so much for all your wisdom- Jen

Yes, you are paying a fee to transfer money to US funds, but it is my understanding that it is a smaller percentage then a credit card .And when you are dealing with thousands of dollars, it really makes a difference!

A credit card has alot of " hidden fees" that I think alot of consumers are not aware of when shopping in the US with a Canadian card.

And, while the dollar is at par ( ish), you can transfer money to a US account and wait to pay off your trip ( instead of paying Disney ahead of time). I made $68.00 in Nov. by transfering my Canadian money into a US account, and will collect interest until my trip. Not alot, but at least it's a little profit. When my trip is due, I'll pay it with the US credit card, withdrawl US funds from my US account, and pay the credit card. No additional fees. By that time , if the dollar returns to what it was in the summer,( 85 cents to the US dollar) I am ahead! If the dollar remains high, I haven't lost out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response-

K- I am wondering- If we are talking about $5000 does anyone know how the figures would go- having the money on a Canadian Credit Card and paying exhange on card or having US Card and paying just to exchange money then pay bill

Also- I have the BMO US Card- there is no BMO close to me. Can I pay on the BMO card at CIBC where I do my banking? I am trying to simplify - It might just be easier to get a CIBC US Card and pay the annual fee- I dunno
:confused3

Still a tad confused- thanks, Jen:santa:

Thanks for the response-

K- I am wondering- If we are talking about $5000 does anyone know how the figures would go- having the money on a Canadian Credit Card and paying exhange on card or having US Card and paying just to exchange money then pay bill

Also- I have the BMO US Card- there is no BMO close to me. Can I pay on the BMO card at CIBC where I do my banking? I am trying to simplify - It might just be easier to get a CIBC US Card and pay the annual fee- I dunno
:confused3

Still a tad confused- thanks, Jen:santa:

That's a question that your bank should answer. The exchange rate changes daily, and as far as fees go, they difer from bank to bank. Just call and ask.
I refuse to pay a $35.00 annual fee to HAVE a credit card. I have a US account with CIBC, and BMO card, so call and ask if you can pay your BMO bill at CIBC ( they might charge a fee.....hehehe!)

If you get a US $ credit card you have to pay it off in US$ which you buy at the going exchange rate.

If you use a Can$ credit card you get charged the going exchange plus an additional 2.5% service charge. :scared1: They won't come out and tell you about the extra 2.5% fee directly but it is buried in the fine print of your credit card agreement.

On our trip this summer this 2.5% meant an additional $100 on top of the exchange rate just to use the Can $ credit card. Needless to say, I got the BMO no fee US$ and saved the $100.:thumbsup2

At one point in time there was a thread about USD credit cards and USD Canadian Bank accounts. As we visit the Mouse frequently I was thinking of getting a USD Credit Card that I could use a USD bank account to pay and have some control over exchange rates. I searched for the thread and found one on Bank accounts but not credit cards.
Does anyone have any advice on which account/card to get?

Claire

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!