use year and banking...

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
i feel like a complete idiot, but i'm having a hard time figuring out Use Year in the context of our family.

we only visit WDW every 3 years, so we'll want to use banked and borrowed points together with the current year for each stay.

So, let's say that i'm buying a february use year contract (resale)
the first points available on this contract will be in 2019, so i assume that means i get them in february 2019.
But i only want to go to WDW in July 2020.
If i bank these february 2019 points, will i be able to use them in july 2020? or will i have to use them by february 2020?

I feel confident I'm correct but I'm sure if I'm not someone else will help us out and let us know! All my contracts have an Aprill use year so in my world the year starts in April and ends in March!

Just to confirm what disneykate605 said, buying Feb 2019 UY points, bank them into 2020 so they would need to be used from Feb 1 2020 - Jan 31, 2021. You can then use the 2020 normal points and borrow the 2021 points for a trip in July 2020. Just remember banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not become "unbanked or unborrowed"

Points can only be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

thanks!
so our scenario works..
a february use year..
i bank the february 2019 points (i bank immediately since i know we're going in july 2020).
then in july 2020, i use the banked 2019 points, the current 2020 points and the borrowed 2021 points..

and then we do it all again in 2023, when we use the banked 2022 points, the current 2023 points and the borrowed 2024 points...

Yes.

I like to write it out like BillPA started.

I have a feb uy, and right now I have 37 2018 points, something like 70ish 2019 points (have a February stay for Princess booked if I can go), and full 2020 (and beyond of course).

2018 points are for feb 2018 through Jan 31 2019.

2019 points are for Feb 2019 through Jan 31 2020.

Etc.

So if/when I bank those 2018 points, they will then be good for reservations feb 2019 through Jan 31 2020.

But I’d make the reservations 11 months from checkin at my home resort, and 7 months for non-home resort.

we only visit WDW every 3 years, so we'll want to use banked and borrowed points together with the current year for each stay.

So, let's say that i'm buying a february use year contract (resale)
the first points available on this contract will be in 2019, so i assume that means i get them in february 2019.
But i only want to go to WDW in July 2020.
If i bank these february 2019 points, will i be able to use them in july 2020? or will i have to use them by february 2020?

If you only visit WDW every 3 years, you might want to rethink making an offer.

As mentioned, once you move points with banking or borrowing, the points are stuck in their new UY. So if you needed to cancel your 2020 stay, your banked 2019 and borrowed 2021 pts will remain in that 2020 UY. If you cancel in the first 8 months of your 2020 UY and more than 30 days out, you could still bank 2020 pts forward to 2021 but realistically, if something happened that you were unable to travel during your 2020 UY, you might have limited options to recover any value from those 3 years of pts.

While you are saving money in the long run, limited visits means pushing back the breakeven point on the initial outlay to the point where you might just be better off renting...

thanks for all the information - it's been really really really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!
and now i see that disney did indeed give me the wrong answer (not the first time)... :)

thanks for all the information - it's been really really really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!
and now i see that disney did indeed give me the wrong answer (not the first time)... :)

If you’re not a member yet, were you able to talk to a Dvc cm? That might be the problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter