Using OTU points?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
If I want to make a reservation at a resort that's a home resort, but I'm short a few points, can I buy OTU points to make my reservation at 11 months? Or can OTU points only be used for 7 month bookings? And I just realized, it's been so long since I've used OTU points, how much do they cost now? Anything else I should know about buying/using them?

If I want to make a reservation at a resort that's a home resort, but I'm short a few points, can I buy OTU points to make my reservation at 11 months? Or can OTU points only be used for 7 month bookings? And I just realized, it's been so long since I've used OTU points, how much do they cost now? Anything else I should know about buying/using them?
OTU can only be purchased at 7 months.

Cost is $20/pt. Only 7 months or less because what they let you buy can be from any resort.

OTU can only be purchased at 7 months.
Rats! I was hoping I could use them at 11 months, but I guess I'll have to go to option #2-borrow from the following years points at that resort.

I have a question about OTU. I would like to book a 1 BR at BWV for 7 nights but will be 7 pts short. I’m hoping that a 7th night will be available at 7 months and I can add on buying the 7 pts I need. If I have to waitlist and it doesn’t come through what happens to the OTU points?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy OTUP for a waitlist. That 7th night would have to be available when you call MS to buy the OTUP and complete the reservation. AFAIK, there's no way to tell MS "if the waitlist fills, call me and I'll buy OTUP for it."

The only way to do it would be to make a dummy reservation and buy OTUP for it, then afterwards cancel that reservation so the OTUP sit in your account. But if the waitlist doesn't fill and you don't otherwise use those points, they'll expire at the end of the UY the dummy trip was in.

I have a couple related OTU point questions as well. I didn't want to make a new thread as there are a couple OTU threads already, but I can if moderator feels more appropriate.

Do the OTU points stay with that particular reservation and if reservation is modified are they last out?

Here are a couple scenarios:
1. 2 reservations: First made without OTU points and second made with OTU points. I cancel the first reservation. I can then go on to bank/borrow use those points as normal, correct?

2. A 124 pt reservation made with 24 OTU points plus 100 additional points is modified--dropping one night that for sake of example is worth 24 pts. Which points are put back in the account ... the 24 OTU points or 24 regular points?

Due to a PP mentioning that OTU points once returned to account don't show up until you go to book something, I wondered. Thanks!

I have a couple related OTU point questions as well. I didn't want to make a new thread as there are a couple OTU threads already, but I can if moderator feels more appropriate.

Do the OTU points stay with that particular reservation and if reservation is modified are they last out?

Here are a couple scenarios:
1. 2 reservations: First made without OTU points and second made with OTU points. I cancel the first reservation. I can then go on to bank/borrow use those points as normal, correct?
Yes, since the reservation you cancel has no OTUP, the points freed up are normal points.
2. A 124 pt reservation made with 24 OTU points plus 100 additional points is modified--dropping one night that for sake of example is worth 24 pts. Which points are put back in the account ... the 24 OTU points or 24 regular points?
The system uses restricted points first, so the OTUP would be kept in the modified reservation and regular points would be freed up. If banked or borrowed points are in there too, there’s a set sequence in which they’re kept in the modified reservation - I think banked, borrowed, OTUP, transferred but could be wrong.
Due to a PP mentioning that OTU points once returned to account don't show up until you go to book something, I wondered. Thanks!

Yes, since the reservation you cancel has no OTUP, the points freed up are normal points.

The system uses restricted points first, so the OTUP would be kept in the modified reservation and regular points would be freed up. If banked or borrowed points are in there too, there’s a set sequence in which they’re kept in the modified reservation - I think banked, borrowed, OTUP, transferred but could be wrong.
This is awesome. Thanks for confirming. Really appreciate it.

This is awesome. Thanks for confirming. Really appreciate it.

Actually, it’s not that simple. The OTU points are in their own temporary contract in your account,

When you modify a reservation with them, you have to make sure that you check that contract to be used in the modification and is checked to be use first.

If you don’t, it won’t pick them up.

Actually, it’s not that simple. The OTU points are in their own temporary contract in your account,

When you modify a reservation with them, you have to make sure that you check that contract to be used in the modification and is checked to be use first.

Ah, thanks, I forgot about that - in the process of modifying we have to select which contracts to use.

Thanks for clarification. I didn't realize they became their own temporary contract. I'll be on the lookout if I modify that reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter