Vacation help

MamaLema

DIS Veteran
Every year, I take 1 of my 3 sons for a mom and son trip just the 2 of us.

DS19 criteria for next year is an American city with a good sports town and plenty of nature for hiking and nice scenery.

I need a little help Disers. His favorite sports are hockey and baseball so we probably won’t see both and the month doesn’t matter.

Right now, both the Chicago Cubs and Blackhawks are playing so if you timed it right you could see both. Hiking and scenery would be a trip outside the city an hour or more. I’d pick some major cities with both sports and see what scenery/hiking is nearby and have him pick the one that looks the most interesting. Have fun!

Oh if he likes hockey the Bruins practice arena - Warrior Arena is in Brighton(neighborhood in Boston) and they have free practices - open to the public.

If sports are his top priority, I'd choose an area where you can visit more than one ballpark/arena within a reasonable driving distance of each other. We love visiting different parks/arenas/stadiums.

If sports are his top priority, I'd choose an area where you can visit more than one ballpark/arena within a reasonable driving distance of each other. We love visiting different parks/arenas/stadiums.

Another Boston pitch. The garden, Bruins & Celtics are in North Station a few stops down you are at Fenway Park. Btw oldest baseball park in the MLB.
Warriors arena a 10 minute drive from the Garden on Soldiers Field Road.

I’d go with Denver or Vegas too. Both give you big cities, sports venues and some amazing natural sights/excellent hiking within a short drive. I’d base it on what kind of environment your son likes more - desert or mountains.

Have a great trip!

Where are you located? If you're in driving distance of NY, I would recommend Cooperstown. Cooperstown is a small town but loaded with baseball history and of course home to the Baseball Hall of Fame. There's usually games you can catch at Doubleday Field. There's some great boating and water activities on Otsego Lake right in Cooperstown. Just a 90 minute to 2 hour drive away is Lake George and the Adirondack mountains with fabulous hiking and outdoor activities. Just beyond that, another 90 minute drive, is Lake Placid which has some history around with the Olympics and Miracle on Ice.

If you'd have to fly, Cooperstown would be about in the middle of the Syracuse and Albany airports. Its also a couple hour drive from Boston, which would be another good place to visit for more culture and pro baseball if its important to catch a game.

I know you said American city, but if you have passports, Toronto fits the bill as well. Toronto Blue Jays have a great stadium in the heart of the city, and the Hockey Hall of Fame is nearby. There's some outdoor activities on Lake Ontario and Niagara Falls is about a 90 minute drive. On the U.S. side of Niagara Falls, there is a state park with some outdoor activities like Cave of the Winds, and the Maid of the Mist and Whirpool Jet Boats are on both the American and Canadian sides. There's also great hiking in the gorge on the American side.

Every year, I take 1 of my 3 sons for a mom and son trip just the 2 of us.

DS19 criteria for next year is an American city with a good sports town and plenty of nature for hiking and nice scenery.

I need a little help Disers. His favorite sports are hockey and baseball so we probably won’t see both and the month doesn’t matter.
Can't beat Denver for your criteria. It is a crazy sports town. The Denver Broncos has the record for the most sold out games, the town loves their Rockies (baseball) and Avalanche (hockey.) And you can't beat the hiking and scenery in the Rocky mountains all within an hour of each other.

I suggest going to a game and then hiking to Hanging Lake if it has been reopened (closed over the summer because of too many tourists.)

edited- noticed voice to text put in Hidden Lake instead of Hanging Lake.

Last edited:
How about DC/Baltimore?

I second this ^^
My DS lives in Baltimore and we have done lots of hiking in the greater Baltimore area. Highly recommend.
And you've got baseball in Baltimore; baseball and hockey in DC which is a little over an hours drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!