Vacation help

Where are you located? If you're in driving distance of NY, I would recommend Cooperstown. Cooperstown is a small town but loaded with baseball history and of course home to the Baseball Hall of Fame. There's usually games you can catch at Doubleday Field. There's some great boating and water activities on Otsego Lake right in Cooperstown. Just a 90 minute to 2 hour drive away is Lake George and the Adirondack mountains with fabulous hiking and outdoor activities. Just beyond that, another 90 minute drive, is Lake Placid which has some history around with the Olympics and Miracle on Ice.

If you'd have to fly, Cooperstown would be about in the middle of the Syracuse and Albany airports. Its also a couple hour drive from Boston, which would be another good place to visit for more culture and pro baseball if its important to catch a game.

I know you said American city, but if you have passports, Toronto fits the bill as well. Toronto Blue Jays have a great stadium in the heart of the city, and the Hockey Hall of Fame is nearby. There's some outdoor activities on Lake Ontario and Niagara Falls is about a 90 minute drive. On the U.S. side of Niagara Falls, there is a state park with some outdoor activities like Cave of the Winds, and the Maid of the Mist and Whirpool Jet Boats are on both the American and Canadian sides. There's also great hiking in the gorge on the American side.

I was going to suggest Cooperstown also. I used to go with my cousins when we were younger. They were huge baseball fans.

Denver for sure! Vegas is amazing for hockey and the hiking at Red Rock Canyon is wonderful. Boston fits the sports bill for sure but I don't think it's as spectacular for hiking as the Western locations.

If you are okay with minor league baseball, take a look at Chattanooga. (I actually prefer the parks and the experience of minor league baseball.) I went to Chattanooga with my kids this summer. We were in a Residence Inn right next door to the stadium. You could plan your trip around a home stand. We also had the aquarium, a really cool rock climbing center, and LOTS of restaurants all in close walking distance. Just a few miles away is Lookout Mountain and its attractions, whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River, some wild caving experiences, and lots of hiking.

Nashville is routinely rated as one of the best towns in the states for sports fans. I don't sportsball, but I think it could be true...our hiking and the amount of national/state parks nearby though is amazing. We're friendly as can be too, ya'll.

I will dissent and say how much I flipping HATE Denver. I'll only go there or DC for work. Literally, I have to be paid to go to either city. Gross. Boston is awesome though but I have no idea about their sports stuff.

Anaheim. You can get the Angels and Ducks. LA has the Kings and Dodgers. If you have time just down the road are the Padres.
And of course with more time a trip to Disney.

Seattle has the Mariners and depending on season both football and soccer. We went to a soccer game there a few years ago and wow are the fans crazy.

St Louis has hockey & baseball and an abundance of hiking nearby. It’s also hot & humid in the Summer which I know is an issue for some, so you might choose another season if that’s a concern.

Agree with others who’ve suggested Denver as an obvious choice. Phoenix could be interesting in Winter.

I second this ^^
My DS lives in Baltimore and we have done lots of hiking in the greater Baltimore area. Highly recommend.
And you've got baseball in Baltimore; baseball and hockey in DC which is a little over an hours drive.

We just moved to the south Baltimore suburbs, and I'm absolutely amazed at all there is to do here. The hiking within a couple hours' drive is fantastic. Add in the sports teams and attractions of two big cities, and it's just the best. Also, Philly is less than 2 hours away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter