• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VAK Developer Points

surfer_ed

Disney/Marvel Geek and Proud of it
Anyone know what the deal is with the Developer points? On a 100 add-on they are offering me 160 Developer points, that have to be used within 7 months.

It seems to me since the "street" value of points is about $10 a point, it is a better deal to take these instead of the $8 off. On a 100 point contract that brings your true cost down to $85 a point instead of $93??

...so could I use them for my vacation I already have booked and then bank my 2007 points? We have a reservation at VWL for October 2007.

...could I rent them out?

Anyone opt for these points inste4ad of the $8.00 off?

Another but related question:

Since my Use year is in June, if we buy know do I also get the VAK 2006 points too? Can I bank them all becuase I could not possible use them before June 1st.

That is allot of points for next year.

Thanks a bunch.

Anyone know what the deal is with the Developer points? On a 100 add-on they are offering me 160 Developer points, that have to be used within 7 months.

It seems to me since the "street" value of points is about $10 a point, it is a better deal to take these instead of the $8 off. On a 100 point contract that brings your true cost down to $85 a point instead of $93??

...so could I use them for my vacation I already have booked and then bank my 2007 points? We have a reservation at VWL for October 2007.

Anyone opt for these points inste4ad of the $8.00 off?

Another but related question:

Since my Use year is in June, if we buy know do I also get the VAK 2006 points too? Can I bank them all becuase I could not possible use them before June 1st.

That is allot of points for next year.

Thanks a bunch.

It all really does depend. If you're financing beyond a year, I think the $8 per point turns out to be the better deal, dollar wise.

In addition, since you're getting '07 points (I assume), there are many people who just don't want to travel more than once, or enough to use, a full complement of points within 7 months in ADDITION to their '07 home resort points. And you can't use the dev points at your home resort, usually.

You could rent them....to me, though, you're almost breaking even. I think the work involved in that process is probably "worth" about $2 a point...maybe more. The extra 60 points might change that (for AKV it's a 1:1 ratio of dev points...sounds like you're getting a bit more than that).

Has there been a change? I thought it was 1-1 on developer points, so on 1 100 point add-on you would get 100 developer points and not 160.

Has there been a change? I thought it was 1-1 on developer points, so on 1 100 point add-on you would get 100 developer points and not 160.

Ditto - I took the developer points, but it was a 1 to 1 deal. I bought 100 points and got 100 developer's points. Did you really get extras? If you don't mind my asking, why? Was there something about your purchase that caused you to get them?

My guide just told me 160 Developer Points for a 100 point add-on but maybe he mis-quoted. I will confirm.

If that is the case, there is not too much of a difference between the 2 deals.

If the VWL reservation was made in the 11-month window then they probably won't let you swap them. You would probably have to make a new reservation with the developer points if there is still availability, then cancel the existing one. If you made the reservation in the 7-month window, then you can probably swap the points. Also if any part of your Oct trip is outside the 7-month lifetime of the developer points, you would probably not be able to book the entire stay using the developer points.

Yes you can rent a reservation made using the developer points but you cannot transfer them.

AKV starts with the 2007 UY so best case you will get Jun '07 points and worst case you would start with Jun '08 points if the Jun '07 points sell out before you make your purchase.

I just got off the phone with my guide. She said that it is still 1-to-1 BUT 160 points is now the minimum for new purchases. So maybe the OP's guide was quoting the developer's points for a new owner and not an add-on.

At 16:10 (Dev:Purchase) points the Dev points are a great deal. At 1:1, which it does sound like they where quoting a new contract and not an add-on, the $8 off is much better deal if you are financing, or in our case we just won't have a good chance to use them.

We are doing the Med this summer when we would normally head down for some quality mouse time in the spring/summer.

johno

At 16:10 (Dev:Purchase) points the Dev points are a great deal. At 1:1, which it does sound like they where quoting a new contract and not an add-on, the $8 off is much better deal if you are financing, or in our case we just won't have a good chance to use them.

Why is the 8.00 a better deal if you are financing? We financed our first contratc and are still paying it but I was going to do this one in cash.

Waiting for my guide to get back to me on the 100/160 uissue, I am thinking he misquoted.

Why is the 8.00 a better deal if you are financing? We financed our first contratc and are still paying it but I was going to do this one in cash.

Waiting for my guide to get back to me on the 100/160 uissue, I am thinking he misquoted.

It reduces your prinicpal by $8/pt. So 200 pts @4.95% APR (I think that is what DVC is charging right now) over 10 years will cost you $25651.20 ($213.76/month *120 Months) if you pay $101/pt. Same thing but at $93/pt it's only $23619.60 ($196.83/month *120 months). So those 200 dev points are costing you about $10.16/pt (160pts it's fractionaly more, but it rounds to $10.16/pt.)

For a cash deal and 1:1 pts then you are buying points at $8/pt, just like getting them off the boards. We took the discount, because like I said we couldn't use the points if we took them, you have to remember they are non-bankable, and expire soon (expire at the beging of Sept I think.)

johno

My guide just told me 160 Developer Points for a 100 point add-on but maybe he mis-quoted. I will confirm.

If that is the case, there is not too much of a difference between the 2 deals.

My guide did misquote me it is a 1:1 ratio and the AKV points would not kick in until June 2008 Use Year...which I didn't know. I thought I got them this year.

My guide did misquote me it is a 1:1 ratio and the AKV points would not kick in until June 2008 Use Year...which I didn't know. I thought I got them this year.
There have been several reports on the boards over the past couple of weeks that '07 points were running low for some UYs. It's possible that when you first spoke with your guide there were still some Jun '07 points left and those remaining points were sold in the last day or so. Or maybe they had already run out and there was some miscommunication with your guide in the original call. Either way, I'm sorry you lost out on the '07 points.

Thanks for the update. You can't get the points until the resort is open. My use year is September, so I get mine then. Of course, I will need to start paying dues then too. When will you start paying dues? January or June?

When will you start paying dues? January or June?

Good Question, another thing for me to find out. I am also waiting to see if I buy now, if I can swap the developer points to pay for my fall vacation, then I could bank my SSR 2007 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter