Value per credit?

Merriwind

Always looking for an excuse to go to WDW...
I am trying to analyze whether my family should try the DDP in October, or if we are better off sticking to the DDE. I thought that someone had determined how much each TS and CS should be considered "worth" in terms of the dollars spent for the credit. This way I can look at where we are planning to eat and figure which is the most economical plan for us.

For example, should I figure I spent $26 for an adult TS, $8 for an adult CS and $4 for a snack? What about kids? What should I figure as the cost basis for each of DD's TS and CS credits? I know a buffet puts you ahead in terms of their cost and I'm imagining bascially any combination of a kids TS and CS meal would, but I am hoping that some expert has crunched these numbers.

TIA!

Merriwind said:
I am trying to analyze whether my family should try the DDP in October, or if we are better off sticking to the DDE. I thought that someone had determined how much each TS and CS should be considered "worth" in terms of the dollars spent for the credit. This way I can look at where we are planning to eat and figure which is the most economical plan for us.

For example, should I figure I spent $26 for an adult TS, $8 for an adult CS and $4 for a snack? What about kids? What should I figure as the cost basis for each of DD's TS and CS credits? I know a buffet puts you ahead in terms of their cost and I'm imagining bascially any combination of a kids TS and CS meal would, but I am hoping that some expert has crunched these numbers.

TIA!

I don't think you can go wrong with the dining plan if you tend to eat an average of 1 TS meal/day of your trip. As far as counter service cost goes, after including the beverage and dessert you get w/ your meal, most of the totals were closer to $12/per adult some were even higher!
For children, I don't think you can "lose" on the plan. Their cost is really nothing compared the average costs of dining at Disney. A single character buffet costs more than the daily cost of the plan and that INCLUDES breakfast meals. (after tax and tip)

Even if you prefer to do buffets and character meals, it's unlikely you'll "lose" money doing the DDP unless your buffets are ALL breakfast.

For our family of 4 (2 a/2 c) our cost was $685 for 7 nights. Our TS meals would have been about $800 for the 7 meals- tax and tip included. We ate 1 chef mickey breakfast, 1 50s PT cafe lunch, 1 Akershus lunch, 1 Boma dinner, 1 Biergarten dinner, 1 hollywood and vine dinner, and 1 Le Cellier dinner. We did NOT all order dessert at either of the a la carte restaurants. We did NOT all order beverages at those meals either. So basically our CS meals and snacks were "free". Had all of our meals been buffets, we'd have come in a little under the total cost of the plan but still would have had all our CS /snack credits to use.

For children their DDP is $11 a day - your average kid's CS meal is $4 (not including dessert) and if you go with a less expensive snack (like water) $2 - that leaves $5 for the sit down meal - including tax and tip. Like a previous poster said as long as you eat a TS meal I don't think you could lose money on the kid's DDP

So:
TS $5.00 (plus appetizers and dessert)
CS $4.00 (plus dessert)
SN $2.00 (water)

Total = $11

For adults I think the breakdown you have used is about right - the lesser expensive cs are say $5.99 + $2 for a drink (plus tax = $8.50) and if you want it you could get a dessert.

For snacks you could go with a less expensive one as well - bottle of water $2.

So if your TS entree is $20 and your non alcoholic beverage is $2.20 (average price of soda / lemonade / iced tea, etc) with tax (6.5%) and tip (18%) comes to $27.50.

So:
$27.50 TS (drink and entree only + you can order appetizer and dessert)
$8.50 CS (entree and drink + you can order dessert)
$2.00 SN (bottle of water OR you could get something for twice this amount).

Total = $38.00

This is really your breakeven point - there are lots of TS / CS / SN that are more expensive that I have listed and of course it doesn't include everything you are entitled to.

Thanks for all the info. It seems like even with choosing buffets as sit-downs, you're breaking even at worst. I need to plan our meals a bit more (we're touring with friends) but it looks like DDP may be a go for us! Thanks again!

I did the math for our trip. Since we're staying at DVC, we're paying for the DDP in September. Once I determined where we would be eating each day, I calculated what it would cost if we paid for everything OOP. I though about what we would actually eat - not what the DDP allowed us to eat. We would have 4 character meals, the Fantasmic package, and then CS meals (avg. cost of $25 per CS meal, since we would do some sharing ). Plus we would buy the "snacks" which I calculated as bottled water (what we would be buying w/o the DDP). So, it worked out to a savings of about $70 for the week on the DDP. What's not in the $70 is the fact that we will still share some CS meals, which will provide some "extra" CS credits. So, instead of breakfast in the room we can pick up breakfast one day, or buy sandwiches for our return trip to the airport.

I think it really depends on how you would eat. Since we try to average 1 TS meal/day, it makes sense for us. It also means I don't have to think about the cost of the food all trip, and can just enjoy.

Well, considering it is included for free if you book by the middle of this month, I elive it is good for both September and October, I think it is well worth the price!

Plus, we're DVC using points, so free dining wouldn't apply to us. Thanks for the good ideas, though.

We did a split stay in May (BCV/OKW) and tried out the DDP for part of it. Our table service meals each night amounted to over $100 for two adults. And when you recognize that it includes a tip, it was well worth it for us. The biggest problem was there was a lot of food and we wouldn't want to eat for an entire week that way.

We're doing the dining plan again in October (again it will be a split stay), but renewing our DDE card too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter