Various news outlets reporting that a boat on Splash Mountain sank this morning.

The ride might have restarted while the guests were exiting the boat. The cast member wasn't wrong here.

A sinking log isn't going far. Sure the guests would have gotten wet but it's Splash Mountain, you almost always will get wet.

A few years ago, a guest dies exiting a log and the ride restarted. I'm sure safety protocol dictates that CM's instruct guests to stay with their log until it's safe to exit it.

Yeah, but that was just some epsiodes of the canceled Atlantis TV series that they strung together, not a proper Atlantis 2. Maybe, Atlantis 1+1/2. I am with Flex Seal - I want Atlantis 2!

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info! Well, since they're reportedly doing a live action remake, maybe that'll be successful enough for a sequel since I don't think at this point they'll do one for the animated version.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info! Well, since they're reportedly doing a live action remake, maybe that'll be successful enough for a sequel since I don't think at this point they'll do one for the animated version.

There are rumors anyway, so let's hope!

Originally they were going to do a series based on Atlantis, but when the movie tanked they cancelled production. They had a few episodes in the can though so they strung those together with a little framing sequence. The episodes are "mystery of the week" style (like Scooby Doo) where the team goes to various locations in the world to look into unexplained phonomena. It's okay, but they spend a lot of time on land - :rolleyes2 - so it doesn't really have the same vibe. Maybe if it were a series it would've been better and more varied, but the scraps just didn't come together too well. If you are a super-fan of Atlantis like me though I'd still recommend giving it a watch.

Yeah, but that was just some epsiodes of the canceled Atlantis TV series that they strung together, not a proper Atlantis 2. Maybe, Atlantis 1+1/2. I am with Flex Seal - I want Atlantis 2!
They might have been mixed up with Sea World which has the Journey to Atlantis boat ride. I'm not really sure. I'm just glad they chimed in!

They might have been mixed up with Sea World which has the Journey to Atlantis boat ride. I'm not really sure. I'm just glad they chimed in!
The irony of a user named "ScubaCat" posting to this topic is not lost on me :earboy2:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/disney-world-splash-mountain-boat-twitter-videoAnd even worse, cast members reportedly admonished guests for leaving the vessel as it was taking on water.
As long as they told them in a polite manner and not yelling at the guests that's the right thing. It's not like the boat is going to go totally underwater and drown them, it's probably less than a foot deep. As others stated there is much greater danger for the guests i they get out. The ride could start up again, the could slip on the scenery especailly now that their feet are wet too, or other things. it's much safer for them to stay in place until someone comes to get them and show them where to go.

As long as they told them in a polite manner and not yelling at the guests that's the right thing. It's not like the boat is going to go totally underwater and drown them, it's probably less than a foot deep. As others stated there is much greater danger for the guests i they get out. The ride could start up again, the could slip on the scenery especailly now that their feet are wet too, or other things. it's much safer for them to stay in place until someone comes to get them and show them where to go.
While telling them not to get out of the boat while it was going down may have been arguably safer, scolding the people who just got out of a sinking boat after the fact serves no purpose. They just got out of a sinking boat. They acted objectively reasonable by getting out of a sinking boat (regardless of what the rule that they may or may not have known was) and the only reaction disney employees should have at that point is sympathy and checking on their welfare. If the goal of the CM was to "educate the guests so that the next time they're on a sinking disney boat they know to stay put," well then Disney's got a bigger problem if their boats sink that often that the CM felt that brusquely educating them about that at that moment was necessary.

While telling them not to get out of the boat while it was going down may have been arguably safer, scolding the people who just got out of a sinking boat after the fact serves no purpose. They just got out of a sinking boat. They acted objectively reasonable by getting out of a sinking boat (regardless of what the rule that they may or may not have known was) and the only reaction disney employees should have at that point is sympathy and checking on their welfare. If the goal of the CM was to "educate the guests so that the next time they're on a sinking disney boat they know to stay put," well then Disney's got a bigger problem if their boats sink that often that the CM felt that brusquely educating them about that at that moment was necessary.

Do we know they did it brusquely?

Do we know they did it brusquely?

Yes, you can hear it in the video. Yes, it was brusque.

I would’ve gotten our of the boat too, and clung to Brer Bear for dear life if need be! That water is filthy!

(Actually, I wouldn’t have been there in the first place with the Covid situation in FL but that’s a different topic.)

Yes, you can hear it in the video. Yes, it was brusque.

I would’ve gotten our of the boat too, and clung to Brer Bear for dear life if need be! That water is filthy!

(Actually, I wouldn’t have been there in the first place with the Covid situation in FL but that’s a different topic.)
Actually the water in Splash is filtered before it goes into the holding pool behind the ride and agains when it gets reintroduced to the “river”. It’s one of the cleanest ride waters on property because it gets on you during the drop. Pirates, Kali, Splash are all double filtered for the same reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter