Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I'm so glad you started this thread. I noticed they locked the other one and I figured that might be why. I'm glad we have a forum to discuss and help each other because this information is so invaluable, especially since there are so few of us who eat this way in the grand scheme of things.

I've been vegan for 4 weeks now, and I've really been researching my options for our trip in July.

Plasticletters - I do plan on taking you up on the offer to send you a PM about IOA/US and eating vegan there. I definately would love to know all you know about the topic.

We will be there for 14 nights and our vaction is split into two stays at Pop Century.

The first 5 nights we are planning on doing 1 day Sea World and 3 days at IOA/US (1 day at each and a half day split between both parks). My husband has agreed to do lunch at Moe's at Citywalk on the 3 days we are at IOA/US. One of those nights we are planning on eating at Boma's. This is our only sit down restaurant of this trip (which is very unusual for us, because prior to last year we did 2 TS per day on most days - except AK). Last year we did the dining plan and this year we decided to do the QSDP.
One of the nights my family wants to go to Hooters, and there is nothing on the menu I can eat. I'll either grab something to bring in with me, or just have a drink and then grab something at the hotel or one of the other hotels after they are done. The other two nights I might need to eat in the parks, unless we leave earlier in the evening to eat somewhere else.

The other 9 nights of our vacation are at Disney using the QSDP. I've been making a list of all the restuarants and the only thing I'm worried about is AK. I may leave the park and go to AKL for lunch by myself or see if I can call Pizzafari and ask if they can get something special in for me. I sure wish they had a counter service option for vegans at Tusker house where you could get a to-go tofu or vegie stir fry. Something simple and just a small counter service sized entree. I mean they have so much food over there that is vegan.......but really not a lot of good options for vegan's or vegetarians in the park. Woud be nice if they offered a to-go container for those who really wanted and needed it. Other than the two days I'll be eating lunch at AK.......I'm not worried at all. Plenty for me to choose from. I'm over the sadness I felt at first for giving up the non-vegan treats. I'm sure when I'm there I will mourn the zebra domes I can't have (heck they weren't even vegetarian anyway, so I couldn't have them this trip anyway).

I'm going to ask for fruit as a dessert for most of the counter service meals unless they have divvies or other vegan options.

I've been making a list of vegan snack options. I'm actually excited to try a few things I have never tried, like the organge slushy at MK, a candy apple (I've always eaten caramel ones) a Kaki Gori, one of the frozen teas in China, the candied nuts (had these before and always loved these), peanut brittle (hoping I can find a place I can get these as snack credits), divies cookies, divies caramel corn, frozen strawberry and pineapple bars from ice cream carts.

Looking forward to the discussions on this thread!!

Here is a vegan guide to Disney that I read before that was posted in 2008 on the Veggie Boards.

Some of the items are no longer available (like the cinnamon apple pretzels in DHS), but most are. I think it's good to continually check on what is and what isn't.

I was just doing some more research this morning and found this link again. One thing on there that I remember sounding exciting is the banana slushi at the Herbie Drive-In over by Lights, Motor, Action. On All Ears, it's still listed on the menu but the menu is old (March 09). Hopefully they still have it because that sounds really good.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?91791-A-vegan-s-guide-to-dining-at-Disney-World

Here is a vegan guide to Disney that I read before that was posted in 2008 on the Veggie Boards.

Some of the items are no longer available (like the cinnamon apple pretzels in DHS), but most are. I think it's good to continually check on what is and what isn't.

I was just doing some more research this morning and found this link again. One thing on there that I remember sounding exciting is the banana slushi at the Herbie Drive-In over by Lights, Motor, Action. On All Ears, it's still listed on the menu but the menu is old (March 09). Hopefully they still have it because that sounds really good.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?91791-A-vegan-s-guide-to-dining-at-Disney-World

Thanks for sharing this! I was trying to find something on the veggie boards relating to veganism in Disney, but apparently I really don't know how to search too well (lol). Kind of sad that those cinnamon apple pretzels aren't still available - they sound delicious.

Also hoping that the banana slushie is still there, since I am a huge banana flavor fan. I will check for it next time I'm there, though I'm sure some of you will be there before me (October is my trip).

Yeah - I'll be there at the end of July, so I'll make sure to give a full report on snacks, lol.

Does anyone know if the bread at Earl of Sandwich is vegan and what if any sandwiches there anyone has tried to veganize? I think there are two vegetarian sandwiches. If the bread is vegan, it would be easy to just leave off the cheese.

Yeah - I'll be there at the end of July, so I'll make sure to give a full report on snacks, lol.

Does anyone know if the bread at Earl of Sandwich is vegan and what if any sandwiches there anyone has tried to veganize? I think there are two vegetarian sandwiches. If the bread is vegan, it would be easy to just leave off the cheese.

Awesome question. I'm really not sure - I'm sure someone does, or I hope so. Bread is probably one of the hardest things about being vegan...though, I wonder if they have any gluten-free bread at Earl of Sandwich? I know the veggie burgers can be ordered with a gluten-free bun, but not sure about the actual bread for sandwiches.

Does anyone know if the mushrooms and onions on the topping bars vegan? I read somewhere that there were not, but then I have seen some vegan food reviews and people have gotten them.

Does anyone know if the mushrooms and onions on the topping bars vegan? I read somewhere that there were not, but then I have seen some vegan food reviews and people have gotten them.

I was told by staff a Starlight Rays that they ARE vegan....if they're not I'm gonna be upset! It would be odd to me if they weren't vegan (I guess they could have sauteed them in butter...but that would be costly and pointless, they seem fried in oil to me).

Yeah - thanks for the info about the bread at Earl of sandwich.

I have read about the mushrooms and onions not being vegan either. Maybe long ago they weren't? Glad to hear they are. I agree, it would be silly to cook them in anything other than oil.

How about vegan items at Wolfgang Puck Express? I'll have to look at the menu again. When I was going vegetarian, I knew what to ordr but now.........not sure at all.

Just found this thread - Most of the same info, but who knows you might find something new in there.

Like this - I might enjoy a salad with chickpeas as a protein :)

Monday: went to Animal Kingdom and enjoyed lunch at one of the quick service. I forget the name but it was near the new dinosaur rollercoaster. Amazing salad - romaine, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, tomatoes, pepperoncini, and chickpeas. Vegan cookies, and fruit cup.

This is definately not listd on All Ears yet, I'm assuming they meant Restaurantasaurus.

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113009

Plasticletters - I do plan on taking you up on the offer to send you a PM about IOA/US and eating vegan there. I definately would love to know all you know about the topic.

email sent

We will be there for 14 nights and our vaction is split into two stays at Pop Century.

Andrea (screenname v_gan on Disboards) has stayed at Pop Century and has experience with vegan options in their food court. Send her a message or check out her reviews (they are linked in the first post on this thread).

The other 9 nights of our vacation are at Disney using the QSDP. I've been making a list of all the restuarants and the only thing I'm worried about is AK. I may leave the park and go to AKL for lunch by myself or see if I can call Pizzafari and ask if they can get something special in for me. I sure wish they had a counter service option for vegans at Tusker house where you could get a to-go tofu or vegie stir fry. Something simple and just a small counter service sized entree. I mean they have so much food over there that is vegan.......but really not a lot of good options for vegan's or vegetarians in the park.

AK has a great quick service restaurant called "Restaurantosaurus" in Dinoland. They have a veggie burger that is vegan (you have to substitute the regular bun - which has dairy - for a gluten free bun, but everything else is vegan). They even let us substitute fruit for our dessert option there (see our dining review for more detailed information). They will also offer you a gluten/dairy free brownie for dessert, but beware - it has eggs in it.

I'm going to ask for fruit as a dessert for most of the counter service meals unless they have divvies or other vegan options.

The restaurants vary. Some will let you do this and some won't. A few of the restaurants we went to made us skip dessert entirely instead of letting us sub for fruit, but some were very accommodating.

I've been making a list of vegan snack options. I'm actually excited to try a few things I have never tried, like the organge slushy at MK, a candy apple (I've always eaten caramel ones) a Kaki Gori, one of the frozen teas in China, the candied nuts (had these before and always loved these), peanut brittle (hoping I can find a place I can get these as snack credits), divies cookies, divies caramel corn, frozen strawberry and pineapple bars from ice cream carts.

If I can impress one thing upon you it is to USE YOUR SNACK OPTIONS IN THE PARKS. A few of these items you mentioned can be gotten as a snack option at the Main Street Confectionary in the Magic Kingdom (Peanut Brittle and candied nuts specifically), and even though they are also offered at most resorts and in Downtown Disney, those locations will NOT let you use snack credits to purchase them. Why? I don't know, but they were very stringent about this rule.

Michael,
Thanks so much for all your great info. You all are really making it so much easier to go as a vegan. I debated waiting till after I got back to make the switch, but I really think I can do this.......no - I know I can!!

Michael,
Thanks so much for all your great info. You all are really making it so much easier to go as a vegan. I debated waiting till after I got back to make the switch, but I really think I can do this.......no - I know I can!!

You definitely can! Just remember, a VAST majority of cast members WANT you to have a great time on your vacation and are willing to do what they can to make it so - just let them know what you need and don't ever be afraid to ask.

Michael,

Yeah, that's the spirit! I actually became vegan at Disney, haha.

Plenty for me to choose from. I'm over the sadness I felt at first for giving up the non-vegan treats. I'm sure when I'm there I will mourn the zebra domes I can't have (heck they weren't even vegetarian anyway, so I couldn't have them this trip anyway).

Zebra domes aren't vegetarian?!? Do you know what's in them by any chance? I'm thinking "oopsie" right about now... :headache:

Zebra Domes have gelatin in them so aren't vegetarian.

I was told that the bread pudding at BOMA isn't vegetarian (also contains gelatin), but the bread pudding at Ohana is. In fact, quite a few desserts at BOMA contain gelatin, including (I believe) the fruit tarts.

Chef TJ said the dessert that most people get at 'Ohana is not vegan. I'm assuming this is the bread pudding.

I was told that the bread pudding at BOMA isn't vegetarian (also contains gelatin), but the bread pudding at Ohana is. In fact, quite a few desserts at BOMA contain gelatin, including (I believe) the fruit tarts.

So, the schedule isn't out until July but I was just curious if any vegans have ever done the Food and Wine Festival in the past? If so, I wanted to know...was there anything at the festival that you could eat? Because I'm going with some family in October and while I'm excited to go to the festival, I'm afraid I may be a bit...left out.

Yeah, I felt so foolish after consuming 1 zebra dome and then finding out later it had gelatin in it. I really, really wish I had checked before. Now I know for next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!