Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

KSellers88

DIS Veteran
Hey y’all! I decided for 2018 a training journal would probably be a good idea to give me some accountability. I also really love talking about running and it’s probably driving the people around me crazy, so this will be a good place for me to ramble on about it!

About me: I’m Kristin, 29½ years old (eek!), and live about 25 minutes outside of Auburn, Alabama (War Eagle!). I have been married for a little over 6 years and we currently have two fur children.
edited.jpg
I started running about 3 years ago when I randomly decided to sign up for the Finish on the 50 half marathon that finished inside Jordan Hare Stadium. I found a training plan online and finished in 2:00:21 and my addiction to running and getting medals began.

Since that first half, I have completed:

• 9 half marathons
  • 2 Tough Mudders
  • 2 Spartan Sprints
  • 18 5Ks
  • 6 10Ks
  • 2 15Ks
  • ONE full marathon!
marathon 1.jpg
My mom and I love Disney, so she is my travel partner for all the races there. So far I have done the 2017 Princess 5K and Glass Slipper Challenge, and I am signed up for the 2018 WDW Marathon and the 2018 Fairytale Challenge. We bought Annual Passes and only live about 6 hours away, so I am trying to decide on Wine and Dine weekend as well!

I have loved reading everyone’s journals and getting to know you all. (Yes, I went back and read every page of every current journal…don’t tell my boss).

PS. If you’re active on Instagram, I’m @ksellers8runs on there and use it as another accountability outlet.

Goals:
(I will admit, I am a bit scared to put these out there for everyone to see, but that’s the point of using this journal for accountability, right??)

2018 Goals:
  • Run one half marathon per month in 2018
  • PR the half marathon (1:56:04 current PR)
  • PR the full marathon (4:27:47 current PR)
  • Run 1,800 miles (ran 1,500+ in 2017)
Overall Goals: (these are constantly being added to it seems)
Goals.png

Last edited:

Marathon Training: Round Two
Ok, here we go. I am currently on week 7 of my second @DopeyBadger training plan. I just ran my first full in November, so he created a fancy condensed plan for the WDW Marathon.

Running Schedule (12/21/2017-12/27/2017):
Thursday: 1 mile WU+ 8 miles @ Tempo (8:26) + 1 mile CD
Friday: 6 miles @ EA (10:12)
Saturday: 8 miles @ EB (9:31) & Strides
Sunday: 9 miles @ Long run (9:10)
Monday: 6 miles @ EA
Tuesday: 7 miles @ EB & Strides
Wednesday: Rest

What Actually Happened?
12/21: I can’t tell you exactly what my paces were for this run, because my watch was forgotten at home. I can tell you that I did 9 out of the 10 miles I was scheduled to do, and it took me right at 1 hour and 25 minutes. The goal for 10 miles was 1 hour and 29 minutes, so I wasn’t too far off. This is the first time I’ve ever forgotten my watch and I felt naked all day.

12/22: 6 miles at a 10:08 average pace…. I love EA run days and the weather was wonderful! Being able to run in shorts and a tank top in December makes me a happy runner!

12/23: 8 miles at 9:25 average pace. Another great weather day with a tank top and shorts! I started listening to a podcast for the first time on this run, instead of music. The miles absolutely flew by! I am listening to Serial because I love crime shows and it focuses on one specific case. I should have listened to y'all sooner about podcasts!

12/24: 9 miles at 9:04 average pace…splits were 8:57, 9:06, 9:05, 9:03, 9:10, 9:07, 9:12, 9:00 and 8:59. I always start out too fast and end too fast. We drove to Auburn University for this run and ran around campus, which is one of my favorite places to run especially when the students are gone!

12/25: MERRY CHRISTMAS! 4 miles at 10:16 average pace. I woke up late and didn’t have time for all six miles before we had to be at the in-laws house. OOPS!

12/26: 7 miles at 9:26 average pace. Cold weather (for Alabama) also returned on Christmas Day so I had to break out the long pants and jacket for my runs on Monday and Tuesday. By cold weather, I mean mid-30s to high 40s…which can’t even really be called cold based on other people’s weather conditions!

Upcoming Schedule:
Thursday, 12/28/2017: 1 mile WU+ 8 miles @ Tempo (8:26) + 1 mile CD
Friday, 12/29/2017: 6 miles @ EB (9:31)
Saturday, 12/30/2017: 6 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sunday, 12/31/2017: 6 miles @ EB & Strides
Monday, 1/1/2018: 6 miles @ EA
Tuesday 1/2/2018: 7 miles @ EB & Strides

We leave Friday for North Carolina and looking at the weather I am packing every article of winter running clothing I own! I will get my runs done, but may look like Anna by the time I get done!

giphy.gif

I hope you all had a great Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Well guys...you're going to get a second update this week because I want to remind everyone (especially the ladies) to trust your gut!

Today was my last tempo run of this training cycle, supposed to be 10 miles total. Everything started out normal, one mile warm up, first tempo mile felt good...then a slow moving black truck with two men inside passed me. I thought nothing of it (where I live trucks pass me all the time), but then it passed me again going the opposite direction. This time it turned around maybe a half mile ahead of me and sat at the end of this gravel road. As I got closer, they slowly started driving again and pulled away. I thought that was strange, but maybe they’re just lost.

At this point, I was finishing mile 3 headed back to my house. Apparently they turned around AGAIN somewhere because I passed them once more at mile 3.5. With this being the 4th time passing me in a one-ish mile area, I was freaked out. Luckily a sweet older couple drove by and I flagged them down to get a ride home. As soon as I walked in the door I burst into tears. Maybe it was just someone who didn’t know where they were, maybe I just overreacted, but something in my gut told me to get out of that situation.

If I can get myself together I’ll finish my tempo on the treadmill...but at least I got 3.76 miles in today with 2.76 at tempo pace.

I normally carry pepper spray, but of course didn't have it today. I know this has been a topic on The Running Thread, so I am going to go research what other people suggested for protection. Stay safe out there everyone!

Well guys...you're going to get a second update this week because I want to remind everyone (especially the ladies) to trust your gut!

Today was my last tempo run of this training cycle, supposed to be 10 miles total. Everything started out normal, one mile warm up, first tempo mile felt good...then a slow moving black truck with two men inside passed me. I thought nothing of it (where I live trucks pass me all the time), but then it passed me again going the opposite direction. This time it turned around maybe a half mile ahead of me and sat at the end of this gravel road. As I got closer, they slowly started driving again and pulled away. I thought that was strange, but maybe they’re just lost.

At this point, I was finishing mile 3 headed back to my house. Apparently they turned around AGAIN somewhere because I passed them once more at mile 3.5. With this being the 4th time passing me in a one-ish mile area, I was freaked out. Luckily a sweet older couple drove by and I flagged them down to get a ride home. As soon as I walked in the door I burst into tears. Maybe it was just someone who didn’t know where they were, maybe I just overreacted, but something in my gut told me to get out of that situation.

If I can get myself together I’ll finish my tempo on the treadmill...but at least I got 3.76 miles in today with 2.76 at tempo pace.

I normally carry pepper spray, but of course didn't have it today. I know this has been a topic on The Running Thread, so I am going to go research what other people suggested for protection. Stay safe out there everyone!

Glad you are safe! Always trust your gut because more often than not those basic instincts are right.

You did the right thing! That's frightening. Even if it was just a lost driver, etc, better safe than not!
It's frustrating how being a runner can make you feel vulnerable sometimes :(

I'm glad you are safe!

Glad you are safe! Always trust your gut because more often than not those basic instincts are right.

Thanks! There was just something not right about the whole situation. Heading for the treadmill today, just to be super safe.

You did the right thing! That's frightening. Even if it was just a lost driver, etc, better safe than not!
It's frustrating how being a runner can make you feel vulnerable sometimes :(

I'm glad you are safe!

Thank you! It really is sad, that's the first time I've ever felt uncomfortable where I live and I hope it never happens again!

OMG @KSellers88 that would have totally freaked me out too! Good for you for trusting your gut! Always better to err on the side of caution!

At first I just thought I was being silly, but everyone I talked to said they would have done the same thing. I completely agree, better safe than sorry!

Good grief. I saw your comment on Strava and was like whaaaa. You did a smart move. Glad you are safe!!

Thank you! Crazy people in this world. I'm thinking I need a big dog to protect me (any excuse to get a dog, LOL).

Excited to follow along as you go for your (super ambitious!!) goals! Also, definitely good that you trusted your gut on that super creepy run.

You absolutely did the right thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!