Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

That half medal is nice ... but maybe not worth the elevation. Also, that pacer situation is super weird. But that's a great time, and congrats on the age group 2nd place!

DST is pretty terrible. When I was in school, I had to run on the hamster wheel, because the sun came up like 15 minutes before I had to leave and it was already pitch black by the time I walked out of school. It's the worst.

Congrats on the 121 miles in January - that's awesome!

It was not worth it, but I also needed my January half completed. LOL. Thanks so much and I totally agree about DST...so silly!

Super cute medal! Maybe the all the runners with the pacers dropped off so they picked up their speed?

There’s a bill in FL right now to opt out of DST. Not sure if it will pass, but it would be nice! I don’t think Arizona observes DST nor does the rest of the world LOL!

That was the weird thing, there were groups of people with them. I truly thought my watch was off, but the chip time said the same thing my watch had. I have no clue what was going on!

Really??? Another reason to move to Florida!

I'd vote for them! LOL...wasn't it introduced for farming? I mean we need farms to be successful to survive, but don't they use machines now more than manual labor to pick all the crops?

I was thinking that it had to do with lessening energy consumption (candles and coal powered electricity?) & maximizing daylight hours from back in the day?? Now I'm not sure!
(And being married to a part time-farmer... they can definitely manage without it! ha!)

I wish they would get rid of DST too. I hate the switching back & forth. Here in Michigan they argue that DST is good for tourism. I just don't get it. :sad2:

While it's super great to not have to switch for DST (Arizona Perks), it is still equally annoying when I am traveling out of state, which we do often. We drive to Vegas a lot and have to always remember the time difference during the winter. "Oh we gain an hour going there and lose an hour coming back." Or something like that. I always get it backwards and it always messes me up.

I was thinking that it had to do with lessening energy consumption (candles and coal powered electricity?) & maximizing daylight hours from back in the day?? Now I'm not sure!
(And being married to a part time-farmer... they can definitely manage without it! ha!)

Well that does make more sense than farming! I did some research and apparently Benjamin Franklin came up with it, who knew!? It can seriously go away though...I'll pay a higher power bill if necessary.

I wish they would get rid of DST too. I hate the switching back & forth. Here in Michigan they argue that DST is good for tourism. I just don't get it. :sad2:

I like the longer days when the sun stays up until 9ish and could see where that could help tourism, but the sun setting at 6 would have the opposite affect, right? LOL :confused3

While it's super great to not have to switch for DST (Arizona Perks), it is still equally annoying when I am traveling out of state, which we do often. We drive to Vegas a lot and have to always remember the time difference during the winter. "Oh we gain an hour going there and lose an hour coming back." Or something like that. I always get it backwards and it always messes me up.

Man! You got the tie dye shoes first AND you don't deal with DST...so jealous! I also live on the line of EST and CST so we deal with that weekly when we go out to eat. We have arrived at restaurants around 4:30 for dinner because we forget the time difference.

I also live on the line of EST and CST so we deal with that weekly when we go out to eat. We have arrived at restaurants around 4:30 for dinner because we forget the time difference.
The only time this would bother me is if it messed with me getting happy hour deals, hahaha.

Super Bowl 5K Recap:

This past Saturday I ran the Super Bowl 5K as the fourth and final race of our local running club's winter series. This race was in downtown Columbus along the Chattahoochee River and always has a pretty good turnout. It did not start until 10:00, but it was still pretty cold (for the South) with temps in the upper 30s.

I was supposed to run this race at a 9:10 pace, but of course I have no self control and that did not happen. LOL. My mile splits were 8:09, 8:01 and 7:54. This was the first full mile under 8 minutes that I have run in a LONG time, so I was excited about that. The course was long by about .2 miles, so while my Garmin had my time at 26:10 with an average pace of 7:59 the race had my time as 26:12 with an average pace of 8:27.

I did manage to snag 1st in my age group so I got another medal to add to my collection. My favorite part of this race is that it starts and ends at our local BBQ restaurant and they give all finishers a BBQ sandwich, large sweet tea and bag of chips at the end! Here's a snapshot of me with all my goodies!

Superbowl 5k.jpg

I did manage to snag 1st in my age group so I got another medal to add to my collection. My favorite part of this race is that it starts and ends at our local BBQ restaurant and they give all finishers a BBQ sandwich, large sweet tea and bag of chips at the end! Here's a snapshot of me with all my goodies!

Woo!!! Go girl!! You are speedy :)

A medal, bbq sandwich, chips and tea.... sounds like a pretty awesome race! ;)

Super Bowl 5K Recap:

This past Saturday I ran the Super Bowl 5K as the fourth and final race of our local running club's winter series. This race was in downtown Columbus along the Chattahoochee River and always has a pretty good turnout. It did not start until 10:00, but it was still pretty cold (for the South) with temps in the upper 30s.

I was supposed to run this race at a 9:10 pace, but of course I have no self control and that did not happen. LOL. My mile splits were 8:09, 8:01 and 7:54. This was the first full mile under 8 minutes that I have run in a LONG time, so I was excited about that. The course was long by about .2 miles, so while my Garmin had my time at 26:10 with an average pace of 7:59 the race had my time as 26:12 with an average pace of 8:27.

View attachment 300440

Congrats! Don't you worry about those sub-8 miles, they're coming down the pipeline. Looks like you're right on track!

Woo!!! Go girl!! You are speedy :)

A medal, bbq sandwich, chips and tea.... sounds like a pretty awesome race! ;)

LOL thanks! I am not even a big fan of sweet tea and I chugged it down! I have a major love of sugar when I finish running.

Congrats! Don't you worry about those sub-8 miles, they're coming down the pipeline. Looks like you're right on track!

Thanks, coach! Not sure if I should be excited or scared! :o

Wow, this girl is on fire!!!! Congrats!

Thank you! Now I have that Alicia Keys song stuck in my head too! :cool1:

Congrats! I love the finishers meal BBQ > bananas

I would agree! I like bananas, but this definitely wins. I also have to say pizza>BBQ>bananas. My half last week gave out pizza and I wanted one all for myself!

Right?! That's amazing.

Those splits are #goals for me, for sure!! You are doing amazing this year and I can't wait to watch more magic happen the rest of the 11 months left in 2018. Haha. <3

Thank you so much! I really hope I can keep it up, I'd love to get some PRs this year after focusing on the marathon last year!

Joining in!!!

Congrats on an impressive start to 2018! I’m so impressed with your half a month goal (I’m just aiming for a race of any distance every month)!

Sorry about your creeper experience. It reminded me of my own experience last week - guy in a truck (hauling Port-a-potties no less) drive by and honked. About a 1/2 mile later I came up on him parked right where I intended to turn. It was the first time I literally felt the need to take my phone out, unlock, and be ready to call 911 if needed - my pace and HR are abnormally high on my Garmin that day. Very disconcerting.

Congrats on a great race! You are really rocking the age group awards - that's awesome!

Thank you so much!

Joining in!!!

Congrats on an impressive start to 2018! I’m so impressed with your half a month goal (I’m just aiming for a race of any distance every month)!

Sorry about your creeper experience. It reminded me of my own experience last week - guy in a truck (hauling Port-a-potties no less) drive by and honked. About a 1/2 mile later I came up on him parked right where I intended to turn. It was the first time I literally felt the need to take my phone out, unlock, and be ready to call 911 if needed - my pace and HR are abnormally high on my Garmin that day. Very disconcerting.

YAY! Welcome and thank you!

So sorry about your experience! Do you carry any type of pepper spray or anything with you? I would highly suggest it if not. I did not have it on me the day that I felt uncomfortable and have made sure I carry it with me for every outdoor run now.

I don’t - but I should. I used to use a wearsafe button (https://wearsafe.com/) - but it went through the wash...oops. But even having it on me gave a sense of security. I also recently switched the aftershokz headphones, which definitely give me better awareness of noise, etc.

Sucks all around though! Not a good feeling.

I don’t - but I should. I used to use a wearsafe button (https://wearsafe.com/) - but it went through the wash...oops. But even having it on me gave a sense of security. I also recently switched the aftershokz headphones, which definitely give me better awareness of noise, etc.

Sucks all around though! Not a good feeling.

I feel the same way. My pepper spray probably won't do much good, but it makes me feel better!

Training Recap: I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
200.gif

Week two of my training plan and one key word glared at me from my training plan: SPEED. What’s that? I haven’t seen that word in a while. Can I even run that fast anymore? My legs are so used to easy runs that I was afraid they would not know what to do and revolt.

So what happened?
2/1: 5 miles at a 9:58 average pace. Another easy day, but I sped up a little bit too much because I should have ran closer to a 10:12 average. When I run on lunch at work it is hard to slow myself down because I am in a group and my competitive side comes out. We are not competing in the Olympics, Kristin, RELAX!

2/2: Super Bowl 5K (recap above) and one additional mile at a 9:42 pace.

2/3: 6 more easy miles at a 10:16 average pace. I finally ran on my roads around my house again for this run since my creeper experience and I had no issues!

2/4: 6 easy miles on my lunch break with my running group at a 9:48 average pace. I was so proud of a coworker on this run because the longest he has ever run was 4 miles and I convinced him to push to 6 with me. He did amazing! I love getting other people hooked on running!

2/5: THE DAY OF SPEED. By my calculations, my 400m splits should have been between the 1:49-1:51 ranges. I missed this on the first 3 intervals, but nailed it for the remaining 9 which is a passing grade that I am happy with!

400m splits were:
1:52
1:55
1:52
1:50
1:48
1:51
1:49
1:51

1:49

Tomorrow I run my first day of T Pace miles, and I am terrified. Come on legs, you can do it!

Upcoming Schedule:
Th- 2 mile WU + 4x1 mile T Pace (7:54) w/1 min RI + 1 mile CD
F- 6 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sa- 6 miles @ EB (9:31)
Su- 8 miles @ Long Run (9:10)
M- 6 miles @ EA
T- 2 mile WU + 6x800m @ SPEED (7:26) w/.25 RI + 1 mile CD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!