Verandah Questions

CindyAnn

Crazy Canuck
We're booked into a category 6 room on the Magic in January. I have a couple of questions about the verandah, though. It looks like there are only 2 chairs. Since our 2 children will be with us, are there other chairs inside the stateroom that can be dragged out for them? Would there even be room to do that? I was also wondering whether the lighting on the verandah at night is sufficient for reading, or whether we would have to bring along book lights.

Thanks,

There are no other chairs to take out on the verandah. As for reading I have not tried reading at night on the verandah, I would take a small light anyway, it couldn't hurt just to have if necessary. Hope you have a great cruise.

I suspect if your children are anything like our children, they will be in front of the TV watching the Disney Channel! They were out on the verandah only if there was something to see.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Hi Cindyann, no there are no other chairs for the verandah but there is a little table and my DD sat on that a few times LOL and yes the lighting on the verandah is bright enough to read, i spent every night sitting on my verandah reading after everyone fell asleep. I called it mommy time! I loved having a verandah and spent alot of enjoyable time on it. We are sailing Jan 9 and we have a cat 9 ocean view( they upgraded us from an 11) and im having a hard time imagining what it will be like with no verandah. we may try to upgrade to a cat7 when we get to port( no kids this trip) so i can at least have a navigators verandah.
enjoy your cruise and enjoy your verandah!
Julie:jester:

I just received this neat little gadget from QVC. It is called the Lightwedge. It is the size of standard had cover book page and is illuminated. You put in on top of the page you are reading and can read in the dark. The light does not disburb any near you. It is pretty cool and I am planning on bringing with me to read in our cabin or veranda, or plane, or whereever!!!!

It is the third item in the book light list.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp...=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=book+lights

MJ

We were in a cat 3 and I had no problem reading on the verandah using the light on the wall separating our verandah from the next cabin over. There was a switch inside the room (behind the curtain) to turn the light on and off. I believe all verandahs had these lights.

As for chairs, we had 3 or 4 on the verandah. Nothing inside would have worked outside. Our kids (10 and 3) spent very little time on the verandah (mostly standing). The were usually inside eating or watching Disney on the TV.

I have always had good luck reading by the lights on the verandah. You shouldn't have any problems with that...The balconies are too small in a cat 6 to have more than two chairs and the little round table...

Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. I was toying with the idea of bringing along those folding kid-sized camp chairs, but maybe the children will just have to wing it. I'm sure my idea of the four of us sitting peacefully on the verandah is a little idealistic, in any case. It sounds like DH and I will be able to enjoy books, wine, and adult conversation in the evenings, though. Thanks mmouse37 for the idea of the lightwedge - it looks like an interesting gadget and would be great for sleeping in a room with 3 other people.

Thanks again,

Originally posted by CindyAnn
It sounds like DH and I will be able to enjoy books, wine, and adult conversation in the evenings, though. .

That is exactly what we did! We let DS 5 stay up "as late as he wanted" watching Disney movies on his bed. Of course, after all the day's activities, he fell asleep quickly. We then enjoyed wine, adult conversation and the sea. It was great!

Have fun.:smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

We just got back from the Wonder...I'm still going through withdrawal! Our friends who were in a Cat 9 came up every night and the four of us (all adults) enjoyed the verandah. Here's our secret. Two chairs max on the verandah, the table works for a 3rd adult (sat on it 4 nights and it didn't break...LOL), and then slid the table or the padded chair from the mirror over to the open verandah door. Worked out great for us...hope this helps!

PS...
When our kids were in the room (7 and 9) they also were watching the Disney channel:D

I sat out there morning and night. The light was quite sufficient for me to read. We left the door open a lot (it was not hot outside and having the fresh air was wonderful) and we pulled the table from the room in front of the door and put our breakfast on it and ate out there a couple of times.

Oh, and my DD8 was also addicted to the Disney movies on the TV.

We had Cat 6 in Sept, and each time myself and dh would sit outside along came our 3.5ds to join us despite TV!!. We played musical chairs for one day, one of us got up and ds would pinch the chair!. So I spoke to our room attendant and he got us another chair from the secret deck 7. It was a bit of a challenge getting it into the room lol, but after a zigzag in the bathrooms & open wardrobe doors we were a 3 chair family!!. We even put the table from inside out there too when we had breakfast!, so space was not that bad!.

mmouse37:
Just a lurker here reading the thread.:) Thanks for the idea for another stocking stuffer for DW

cumickey, your story reminded me of our Magic Western cruise last May. We were in good old stateroom 5650, which has a somewhat larger than normal balcony. It could just barely fit one of the lounge chairs, so guess what I requested from our poor stateroom host! Somehow he managed to get it out there by the second day, so I spend a lot of enjoyable time relaxing outside with a book in the lounge chair.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

cindyann & madcoco...you are welcome....I ordered two from QVC...one for me, one for a gift.

I was just in Barnes and Noble and saw them there as well. When you work out the shipping from QVC, the price comes out equal. So, if you want you can just pick them up at Barnes & Noble.

MJ

THIS MAYBE A DUMB QUESTION BUT CAN YOU TURN THE LIGHTS OF ON THE VERANDAH OR DO THEY STAY ON ALL THE TIME? DH LIKES TO SLEEP IN THE DARK AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO SIT OUT THERE AND READ WITH THE BOOKLIGHT BUT TURN THE LIGHTS OFF AND LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN FOR DH INSIDE, HE GOES TO SLEEP BEFORE I DO, LIKE TO READ TO UNWIND.

Yes, there is a switch on the inside of the cabin by the door that turns the veranda lights on or off.

MJ

We were really spoiled with our verandah in the handicap Cat 5 I am seeing! Ours had 4 chairs, 2 loungers, a big table and plenty of room to walk around! We loved laying out there in the loungers while my daughter napped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter