Vero Beach/Orlando

Mom_CEO

Earning My Ears
Hello All :wave:

Myself, My hubby, our ten year old son, Mother in Law, and my brother in law, his wife, and their three year old daughter are coming to Disney for the first time the first week of January. We have planned to first stay at a condo for a few days in Vero Beach, and then we are heading to Orlando. I could use some suggestions from all of you who are familiar with the area and have been there before. :grouphug: First, does anyone know of anything to do in the Vero Beach area?? I have been looking all over the net and I am not having much luck. We were hoping one day to find a nice beach to visit and go looking for shells if someone can suggest a nice area. Once we head to Orlando we are planning on visiting the Magic Kingdom of coarse, Sea World, and Gatorland. We had origanlly planned on also visiting the Animal Kingdom, but I have not heard real positive reviews about it. I would love to hear from some of you that have gone there!! Thank you in advance for any replies and any suggestions! :wave2:

I tried getting Vero info for you but the search function is down. I know there is a ton of info on the Vacation Club boards here. Try a search there, or just post your Vero questions there.
I have been to VB and it is about a 2hr drive to Disney. I can't help with what to do around there b/c we stayed at Disney's resort and never left it!
If your time is limited, then maybe skip AK, especially if you plan on visiting WDW again. Why no plans for Epcot and MGM? These are a must do for us, and 5yo DD.
I'd be happy to help if you have any more specific questions, just ask!:wave:

I have never been to WDW but I have been researching and planning our first trip for over a year now (can you tell I like to plan?) I totally agree w/ Desnik! I would not even dream of missing MGM and Epcot!! If time allows I would try to make it to one of those parks too!! As far as Animal Kingdom goes.... (have not been there --YET-- but soon!) My 3 kids are sooo excited about the safari and the shows that are there. I am planning on spending about half a day there and then over to Epcot for Illuminations and exploring all the different countries. Whatever you decide have a GREAT trip and happy planning!

Kermit

I've been to Vero Beach proper and to Disney's Vero Beach resort (actually on Orchid Island). This stretch of the coast is essentially residential. There are some shopping areas, a museum or two, nature trails, etc. but it is not a stereotypical tourist area. The beaches are all nice and there is a very nice public beach right next door to Disney's Vero Beach resort. This entire area is for relaxing, strolling the beach, taking a bike ride or two and that sort of thing.

The AK is wonderful. It is not a theme park like the other three (or even the others in town). It is an experience, best done at a leisurely pace where you can take in the incredible details found throughout the entire park. Take the time to sit outdoors at Tusker's with a bite to eat or a drink. Listen closely and you will hear a mother consoling her baby with song, knocks on the doors of the hotels, and other authentic life sounds.

Keep your eyes peeled for a glimpse of DeVine!

The parade is lively and cute. The floats are very well done and they incorporate visiting families better than any other parade.

I could go on for hours and describe the park to you, but you'll have to discover it for yourself. Please take the opportunity to visit there and just bask in the place!

We did DVC-VB and WDW back in 2000...not a lot to do in VB except the beach and golf. Only took us 2 hrs to drive to WDW, not too bad.

I remember going to Gatorland when I was a kid...it was a blast. As for the AK, it has steadily gotten better YOY since it opened...park is maturing quite nicely. Now Busch Gardens is still superior (IMO) as an animal/amusement park, but AK is making up ground.

Have fun!

WA

Originally posted by Mom_CEO
We had origanlly planned on also visiting the Animal Kingdom, but I have not heard real positive reviews about it. I would love to hear from some of you that have gone there!!

The only negative thing that I would have to say about AK is that it doesn't have as many attractions as the other parks. In the off-season (smaller crowds), you could literally see the entire park in a single Early Entry day if you correctly plotted your way through the timed shows. Having been there a couple of times, it's now a half-day park for our family...but I don't envision removing it from our itinerary anytime soon.

The theming is wonderful (with the possible exception of Dinoland). It has its fair share of "E-Ticket" attractions. The late afternoon parade at AK is arguably the best parade currently running at WDW.

If you have specific concerns at AK, I'd encourage you to share them. You're likely to get input on both ends of the spectrum, which will enable you to make an informed decision for your family.

Sadly, the beaches in the Vero Beach area really don't have much in the way of shells -- my parents have a condo down there so we visit every year and last year I drove my son across Florida to Sanibel Island just so he could finally bring some decent shells home.

In downtown Vero Beach there is a great children's bookstore, with tons of toys, games, educational stuff, and good books. If you cross the bridge to the ocean side, there are a lot of cute little shops and restaurants -- some are only open certain times of the year. We always go to the Crusty Crab -- it is a Vero Beach institution and has good sea food, plus reasonably kid friendly (which a lot of restaurants in Vero Beach are not). there is an enclosed mall, with a movie complex; there is also an outlet mall with a nice Anne Taylor outlet store.

When we are in Vero Beach, we usually just spend our days at the beach, and at night we go out to eat and then rent a movie or go see one at the mall. Not very exiciting, but relaxing.

Thanks Everyone for all the great response! We are only doing two parks because with two younger ones, I figured that many days in a row would just be to much, Plus the fact we are starting to plan on coming back each year and make it a family thing. What I heard about Animal Kingdom was that is basically was not worth the money, I heard that from a few people, and that it is pretty much a elaborate zoo. BUT I also did hear it seems to be getting better each year. I am going to talk to the family and maybe we will decide to do Animal Kingdom, MGM, or Epcot also... The more I read the more I want to stay in Orlando as long as we can :earsboy: That sounds great about the Crusty Crab in Vero Beach... We love seafood, and my son will get a kick out of the name, I think that is the name of the resturant on Sponge Bob. I am starting to worry now though, with spending 3 days in Vero and no shells really on the beach, and now I just found out when we spend three days in Spring Hills there are no beaches there either.... That is one of the things I was looking most forward too, looking for seashells! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter