VERO BEACH...the good, the bad, the ugly & the INCREDIBLE!

msaseifert

Hooked on Disney
We spent last week at Vero Beach and while our vacation week did have some struggles we had a fantastic stay at Vero Beach. With the ages of my kids though I don't think we will do an entire week again....Here are my thoughts.....

The GOOD:
-Cast members are so friendly and willing to help with whatever you ask.
-The room although not a beach view (was a parking/garden view) was really nice and convenient when getting stuff into our villa and when we got groceries.
-The room was great for 2 adults and 4 children ages 18, 17, 14, and 14....I really don't see how we could have put more in our room.
-The kitchen was adequate...the oven took a bit to preheat...we cooked ALL but one meal in our villa. The only thing I wished I had was a really sharp BIG knife....it was hard to cut up a watermelon with what was in the villa. We cooked breakfast & dinner everyday....BBQ, tacos, spaghetti, hotdogs/hamburgers, pizza, and one leftover night :)
-Resort is BEAUTIFULLY kept, very clean!
-Pool party on Saturdays is a lot of fun and you can get to know people that you may see later in the week.
-Bike riding and fishing fundamentals was fun for 14 year old girls....
-The beach - GORGEOUS!
-LOTS OF WILDLIFE....crabs, turtles, birds, lizards...etc.
-Lots of extra things to do BUT mostly geared towards little kids
-The turtle talk was awesome...everyone should try and go to learn about the turtles, very informative
-Lots of turtle nests very clearly marked which I found fascinating
-Lots of beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. available during the day for rent (for a price of course)
-Teenagers enjoyed the ONE teen night they organized. The campfires I am sure are fun but they are singing camp songs and most teenagers are not interested in this. Again they are more geared towards the younger maybe 12 and under kids.....just my opinion.
-Neat that they have a turtle walk lottery but its only for 25 people once a week.....you have to be pretty lucky to get in.

The BAD
-Honestly there isn't much to do after 7pm. The place to rent the mini golf clubs or the bikes or anything else for that matter closes at 7....I find this too early. Especially for teenagers who are looking for some after dinner entertainment.
-There was a pool table near the pool but the kids never wanted to play until at night after dinner at which time the cue and balls were no longer available
-The room we had didn't really have much of a view....parking lot wasn't something to really watch but honestly it was still nice.
-You have to have your key card to get into the pool area and the beach area....I know why this is required but it is still a pain when your carrying a beach bag, umbrella, chairs, etc.
-Also after 9pm your key card will not work to get onto the beach......I know this is to protect turtles but....
-The one meal we ate out was the Seafood Buffet....It wasn't BAD but it really wasn't GOOD either.....It was mediocre at best but we did fill our tummies...just not sure price was worth it.
-The internet was spotty at best....sometimes you win sometimes you lose....
-The turtle walk lottery is only once a week and only 25 guests so.....the chances that you will get chosen are slim....
-The service at the Green Cabin room is SLOW and the the cast members working there didn't seem to care much about anything....

The UGLY
-BUGS...Lots of them. We got chewed up by no seeums....did not even realize we were getting bit until too late. Got really chewed up last day (which was Sat 6/29) and still have little red dots all over our legs. I think we got chewed up right on beach in the afternoon cuz it rained and stayed overcast for a bit and that was when we were sitting on beach. WEAR BUG SPRAY ALL THE TIME!
-There just wasn't enough activities for older kids to enjoy in the evenings.....It stormed 2 nights in a row while we were there. There was lightning in the distance so obviously the pool had to remain closed. Without the pool there is NOTHING for them to do. The problem then is what do 14-18 year olds do? Not much nightlife for them.....at least the adults can go to the bar...SO...the teenagers who want to "hang out" as a group end up playing MANHUNT (which is a hip name for hide and seek) until 12am....

THE INCREDIBLE
-WILDLIFE is everywhere...
-When my hubby and I were walking on the beach after dinner one night a mamma turtle walked right past us and started her nest...we called the kids and over the next 90 minutes we stood and watched the mamma do everything she needed to do and then watched her walk back into the water.....we were so close we could hear her breathing and we could reach out and touch her. Definitely an experience that can only be described as FANTASTIC....Ive only seen 3 things in my life that could top it....2 were watching my own children being born, the third was watching baby turtles hatch in FT Lauderdale a few years back. Of course we knew that the event needs to be respected but some people just have no clue and I am pretty sure I ticked off some parents who were actually encouraging their child to get closer and touch the turtle while she was doing her thing....I said NO and stood in the way of the child....parents stomped off....OH WELL!
-A manatee swam in really close to shore and my hubby actually swam with her and got some incredible video with his go-pro....it was a really cool experience for him....he kept a respectable distance and she sort of played around while he was watching her.

All in all a good stay...just some observations we made. If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer :)

I haven't had experience with the No see Ems.. is there a timeframe that they are at their worst..

and I agree that the night life is no-existant for teenagers and adults (unless you count coctail hour which shouldn't be underestimated)

We try to bring friends, and rent a car so we can go to the movies and shopping for entertainment.

I haven't had experience with the No see Ems.. is there a timeframe that they are at their worst..

and I agree that the night life is no-existant for teenagers and adults (unless you count coctail hour which shouldn't be underestimated)

We try to bring friends, and rent a car so we can go to the movies and shopping for entertainment.

We found the no see ems were the worst when the sun went down....they were bad!!!

We spent Memorial Day weekend there with another family. I do agree not much to do with the teenagers, but all in all.......we had a GREAT time! We spent the days hanging around the pool and beach, they boys also enjoyed the arcade. Across the street from the resort, they had a picnic area on a lake, basketball courts, volleyball courts and a soccer field. We had a barbeque at the lake and we also enjoyed some fishing while we were barbequing. It is very relaxing!! ;)

We were there in August of last year and they were horrible. We were eaten alive, but didn't see the red bumps until 2 days later and I thought I had the measles!!!!

che

We were there in August of last year and they were horrible. We were eaten alive, but didn't see the red bumps until 2 days later and I thought I had the measles!!!!

che

We're going in August this year (a few more weeks!)....are the bugs just bad at night? What about if you leave the resort for dinner/shopping, did you notice a difference further from the water? Certain bug spray suggestions? Thanks!

We're going in August this year (a few more weeks!)....are the bugs just bad at night? What about if you leave the resort for dinner/shopping, did you notice a difference further from the water? Certain bug spray suggestions? Thanks!

We should have put bug spray on. We actually got eaten the last night when we sat outside at the green cabin having drinks. Didn't have problems at the pool.

Wear bug spray

cheryl

I used to live 15 min down the road from DVB and can tell you that the no see ums are the worst in July and early August so keep a can do deep woods off with you, no need to pack it just pick some up on route A1A CVS or Walgreens. Like everyone has stated there is nothing to do after 7:00, Mulligans is a great local place on the beach for food and drinks & stay open till 1:00am, my wife and I used to go just for coffee at night and sit in the adirondack chairs on the beach. It is turtle nesting season so all lights facing the beach will be off or at a bare minimum (state law). Good thing is its only a 90min drive to Disney!

we went to VB a few years ago for one night and it was great but it was in Sept so the bugs not too bad and I have two DD's one at the time was 12 years old and my other DD was 2 years old... so all they wanted to do was the POOL and it was just one night I have to say I would love go for a 4 day weekend but I don't think I would be able to do a week....

The no see ums are active at Vero. Especially when the weather is warmer.Bring bug spray and use it.

I love Vero and the turtles. I was lucky enough to get chosen in the lottery one year. They also had a turtle walk at Sebastian State park which is near the resort.

Sounds like you had some really lucky encounters. I can tell you that even if you are chosen for the Disney turtle walk, you may not get to see a turtle or even get on the beach at night.

We were there the end of last August and your TR sounds just like how I would describe our trip (with my 3 kids who were 15, 13 and 13). Except that we did not get bit up by the no-see-ums. We did have an insect issue of our own though. We had a large 8 legged hijacker of our minivan. It was the size of my entire hand...no lie. I think it was a huntsman and it nestled into the crevice around the window on our minivan's sliding door...then went into the door and disappeared. ICK!!!! Anyway, I do agree about there not being much for teens. We were only there for 4 nights and then hopped over to Universal's Hard Rock Hotel for 2 nights. It was the perfect amount of time at VB....and Universal for that matter. We likely won't go back. I could spend some time there, just relaxing and beaching it up but DH gets bored with that and has to 'do stuff'. We drove there from MD too and it was a long painful drive. We own DVC at HHI and will just stick with that for our future beach trips. But it was nice to try once. Thanks for sharing your TR!

I agree with virtually everything you said. The no-see-ums were terrible. Still itching. Amazing that Florida has nasty big bugs and annoying small bugs you can't see. I do think its important to note the resort shuts down at 7 due to the turtle hatchlings. We went to a turtle release and the experts said the resort lights and activity can confuse the hatchlings as the try and make it to the ocean. We found this a reasonable trade off and enjoyed our quite evenings.

So we decided this year we will do a split stay. With teenagers 18, 18, 15 and 15 we are driving from VA to Disney. Will stay there at AKV for 5 nights then head to Vero staying 4 nights. Will give us 4 days of parks and 3 full days of beach. I will be sure to bring the bug spray this year :)

So we decided this year we will do a split stay. With teenagers 18, 18, 15 and 15 we are driving from VA to Disney. Will stay there at AKV for 5 nights then head to Vero staying 4 nights. Will give us 4 days of parks and 3 full days of beach. I will be sure to bring the bug spray this year :)

We're doing a split also - 4 nights OKW and 4 nights VB in May. The best of both worlds!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We're doing a split also - 4 nights OKW and 4 nights VB in May. The best of both worlds! Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We did that last year and it was great. Veto was such a great way to just relax and do nothing. Have fun.
Cheryl

We go to Vero every two years and I agree with you - very little to do in the evenings. We usually "rent" a movie and watch it in our room.

I am horribly allergic to the noseeums and avoid going out a dusk or dawn - they eat me alive and I am miserable for days. Bug spray doesn't seem to stop them much (at least for me).

I still love Vero- beautiful resort, fantastic CMs. Perfect way to unwind and just chill. Not a go go - vacation at all.

We went to Vero Beach in June 2012. I don't remember any issue with bugs. Our room was very nice. We had a partial ocean view even though we did not request one. Very nice resort, but not a lot to do beyond going to the pool or the beach. We went off property a lot to shops and restaurants. Very nice place to just relax.

We will be staying at VB July 16-19 after a week at Disney. How was the pull out couch bed in the room? Is there a grill close by to BBQ? Thanks!

We have been staying at AKV as a Pre-cruise stay but next April we are thinking about staying at DVB for 3 nights and then getting on the Fantasy for a 7 night cruise. Will be nice to just relax at the beach before. Never stayed there so it will be nice. We have two DS ages 17 and 14 at that time next year but I think they will enjoy the pool and beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter