Vestibular Sensory Input and Disney Attractions

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
So for my now 16 year old daughter, a visit to WDW has always about the rides and maybe a few shows (she loves the Frozen sing a long too.) She wouldn't be happy just walking and eating her away around Epcot World Showcase or Animal Kingdom for example or sitting on a bench people watching, although mom and dad might! She craves vestibular input. I know some kids with ASD avoid it but she is sensory seeker! Are any of your loved ones like my daughter and crave the vestibular sensory input that many of the Disney attractions provide? What are their favorite attractions? She loves most of the coasters but Everest is her favorite. She also loves Test Track, Splash Mountain, Peoplemover, Peter Pan and the monorail (not an attractions necessarily but she loves it!) These are all therapeutic and calming for our daughter. Communication is very difficult for her (she is nearly non-verbal) but after these attractions she is more likely to communicate with us by either sign language, a single spoken word or on her communication device. The sign for "More, more more!" is often communicated to us after Everest. Just brings such joy to our family when this happens.

I get it. My DD is only 6 but loves motion. Sitting still even to eat a meal is challenging. Her face is pure joy on a roller coaster though. She’s nonverbal but her expression says enough.

I get it. My DD is only 6 but loves motion. Sitting still even to eat a meal is challenging. Her face is pure joy on a roller coaster though. She’s nonverbal but her expression says enough.

YES! That wonderful smile. Thank you for sharing.

Yep, here to! DD loves fast and/or spinning rides. At home she loves swings, regular swings or tire or disk swings that spin. When she was really young she loved the Johnny-Jump-Up or even just bouncing in my lap. Then as she got older she would hold my hands and jump up-and-down.

Yep, here to! DD loves fast and/or spinning rides. At home she loves swings, regular swings or tire or disk swings that spin. When she was really young she loved the Johnny-Jump-Up or even just bouncing in my lap. Then as she got older she would hold my hands and jump up-and-down.
I think DD is really going to like Alien Saucer Spin. We haven’t been to the new Toy Story Land. I wish those rides didn’t make me so sick. We have and indoor and outdoor therapy swing at home. When she was little she used one of those sit and spins.

this is so me, I love the presser of the fast rides, love to swing, spin in a chair, I have always had a hard time eating out and sitting during the meal I will have to get up and move at least once during the meal if not more. space and RNR are my all time favorite rides at Disney I bought a weighted blanket a few years back and it is the best thing I have done

Sensory seeking here too. I love Mission Space. The pressure during launch is amazing. Oddly enough, CoP is also a favorite. The dark theatre really makes it easy to focus on everything going on on stage and there is a lot to look at. I used to love Stitch’s ride too until an unfortunate allergy attack and now it’s gone. The dark just hightened every other sense. The tiki room has music coming from all directions so it’s like being surrounded by sound.

My son is a sensory seeker. We don't do rides like ToT or Everest though. He loves the Tea cups, Peoplemover and Star Tours.

I tell people that Disney moves at my son's speed. He usually has improved behaviors for around 6 weeks after a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter