Villa meals?

WendyMichaelJohn

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to post this. We'll be staying in a villa. Any ideas for easy dinners that aren't expensive?

Thanks

Shel

Are you in a studio or 1 or 2 bedroom?

The studios have a limited kitchen with a small sink, toaster, microwave, coffee pot and half size refrigerator. When we stay in the studios I bring my small George Foreman grill to make grill cheese sandwiches or hamburgers. The microwave works good for soups.

Of course, if you're in the bigger villa 1 or 2 bedrooms, you'll have a full size stove with an oven.

Have fun!

you might want to try posting on the DVC boards - they're great over there with ideas
that said, spaghetti is quick and cheap, tacos are good too

Hi all! We're renting points for a 2 bedroom villa and we were wondering if you have any easy, inexpensive meal ideas. Thanks!

Shel

One more quick question: are those big Stouffer's lasagna's sold in the area stores? We could pop one in while were there in the evening and then put it in the fridge and reheat portions as needed.

Thanks

Shel

yes, publix has some.

I get fruits, vegetables, ground chuck (I love hamburgers).

I leave the fruits - oranges, apples, bananas - out so people will eat that instead of the junk.

For easy, there's a room service menu in the room ;)

Anne

We stayed in a two bedroom villa at the boardwalk. We brought some packs of sugar, butter, jam, instant cereal, teabags & coffee with us in our luggage and picked some some supplies at the gift shop. We got milk, bread, eggs, juice, hotdogs, and a few frozen meals (lasagna, pizza, meatloaf etc...). We had a big breakfast in our room everyday and made our frozen entree's for a late lunch during our afternoon breaks. The food wasn't great but it did it's job and saved us big money. We were a party of nine! The great thing was the frozen meals cooked themselves when we were resting or getting ready for the evening. This really limited the extra money we spent on food in the parks.

WendyMichaelJohn said:
Not sure where to post this. We'll be staying in a villa. Any ideas for easy dinners that aren't expensive?

Thanks

Shel

We mostly did breakfast in the room and made sandwhichs/brought snacks for in the parks. Snacks we took into the parks were apples, bananna's, pb&j, crackers, granola bars etc.

For breakfast we had bagels and if it wasn't an early morning eggs, with bacon.

But if I were going to do dinner a bag of frozen veggies for making a stir-fry is easy. Add a couple pieces of chicken in it and a wrap and you got a nice sandwhich in a just a few minutes. Personally I would never do hamburgers because I can't stand the smell of burgers cooked inside and in a small area like that I'd find it unbearable but thats a quirk about me! I think hamburgers are still a good choice as is the frozen dinners or pizza's.

We do tv dinners and mac n cheese or pancakes and stuff like that for quick easy meals. Also grilled cheese sandwiches. We usually do Spaghetti and porkchops and so on atleast once a week on our 2 week stays.

I would do Stouffer's lasagna with bag salad and french bread...so easy.

For breakfast, you should try these new things from Jimmie Dean in the frozen food section...."Jimmie Dean Skillets". They're awesome! The southwest one has black beans, corn, peppers, onion, cheese, home fries potatoes, and seasonings...you just add the eggs! One dish breakfast...YUM!!!

My little ones are big on the ravioli. Personally, I am always craving fruit salads after being out in the heat all day.

I'm actually going to start having to think about a grocery list soon because I will be taking the Express with my 2-year-old while my husband grabs a rental car for him and my 4-year-old and heads to the grocery. It sounds kind of weird, but it seemed the cheapest way to do it! Thus, I'm anxiously watching this thread as well!

Scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs are good and easy to and with the hard boiled eggs you can take them with you to the parks for snacks.

Breakfast for dinner is always a hit. Pancakes are quick, easy, and cheap, as is french toast, omelets, even a quick breakfast casserole that you could just bake in the oven.

We're also a big fan of those frozen meatballs with spaghetti and Prego. Fast and easy.

Tuna noodle casserole would be easy too.

Hope you have a good trip! :earsgirl:

indylaw99 said:
My little ones are big on the ravioli. Personally, I am always craving fruit salads after being out in the heat all day.

I'm actually going to start having to think about a grocery list soon because I will be taking the Express with my 2-year-old while my husband grabs a rental car for him and my 4-year-old and heads to the grocery. It sounds kind of weird, but it seemed the cheapest way to do it! Thus, I'm anxiously watching this thread as well!

I think it may be cheaper to forego the rental car, and pay the delivery charge to have groceries delivered to your resort. Try wegoshop.com. They have gotten rave reviews by anyone who's ever tried them, and they shop where you want, for what you want, and deliver it at your convenience. Check their site.

I'm big on purchasing bagged lettuce, Pillsbury bread sticks, 2-3 bags louis Rich or tyson already cooked chicken (Bagged in the dairy/deli section), precooked bacon, 2 pkgs tortilla shells, ranch dressing, shredded cheese(2 pkgs), slasa, a tomato and sour cream. I know sounds weird--here's the easy part--now you have everything you need for chicken salads with breadsticks, chicken bacon wraps, and chicken quesadillas. I can even add some chicken to the skillet, add salsa, and shredded cheese, spoon into tortillas, place in baking pan in oven 350 for 20 minutes top with more salsa and cheese and serve. A few ingredients go along ways.

ducklite said:
For easy, there's a room service menu in the room ;)

Anne

Yes!! That's how I cook in a villa, too. Can't get easier than that. And no cleanup.

DisFlan

~Frozen lasagna
~Chicken Caesar salad
~Cold Macaroni Salad(pasta, peppers, broccoli, cheddar cheese, olives-you could actually probably get these additions from the grocery store's salad bar and then just get a bottle of Italian dressing, pound of pasta, cook it and add the salad bar stuff)
~Salads with other substantial additions (like a chef salad-get some lunchmeat to add to salad)
~Check the frozen section and see if there are other frozen dinners that just need heating in the oven
~Tacos or wraps--->get the pre-cut /pre-spiced chicken strips, some tortillas or wraps, sour cream, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce
~Spaghetti & meatballs can be pretty quick & easy
~We usually mix up a nice fruit salad-->good to pick at
~English muffin pizzas-->English muffins brushed with a little olive oil, a slice of tomato, covered with a slice of cheese of your choice(we always used American, but cheddar or provolone might be nice), toasted under the broiler
~Sandwiches are always easy, with chips or frozen french fries or tater tots

First: We don't go "healthy" on vacation so be warned... :blush:

We generally get:
hotdogs and buns - ketchup and mustard
pizza rolls or frozen pizza
bread and turkey/cheese for sandwiches
English muffins
butter, PB and jelly for sandwiches and english muffins
yogurt, doughnuts, milk, cereal variety pack for breakfast
chips and dip
lots of soda, lemonade, ice tea
ice cream, cookies
fruit (okay, we do some healthy...)
pillsbury rolls (cinnamon)
and of course, fruit snacks, granola bars, and other assorted treat items for our spoiled little guy.

We almost always eat breakfast in the room and occasionally lunch. We like to have inexpensive options for nights when/if we're too tired to go out (hotdogs, sandwiches, pizza) and treats/snacks for throughout the day.

Bagged salad is a great idea, as well as any frozen lasagna, etc types of things to go with it. We haven't done this yet but as we grow more mature I could see us getting more vegetables and such.

One thing: we shop at SuperTarget. Love it. The prices are the same as at home and we can always pick up anything else we need/forgot.

Enjoy your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter