VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

I've been off the forums since spring and came back expecting to see a lot of VB talk since there was a lot of hype before it opened. When it seemed dead here (except for this thread) I went out to TripAdvisor and saw all the terrible reviews. Sounds pretty miserable so far (possibly a victim of its own success/not enough crowd capacity). Won't be bothering next month, but curious to see if they can work out the kinks.

Same here. I am super excited about this waterpark and was absolutely planning on spending a day here on our upcoming September trip. However, with the menu changes and the problems the park is still experiencing, we've decided to wait it out and try it next year instead. Our trip was already pretty packed, and we have the waterpark option with our Disney tickets. We'll give VB time to work through all the kinks and have an altogether more enjoyable time next year, I'm sure.

I wore a cellphone waterproof pouch with a lanyard to the four family slides and was not a problem. I didn't go on the water coaster though.
Yes, TapuTapu falls off easily. I used a small rubber band (those used to tie hair) and it helped.. Just put the rubber band on one side of the band and then slide the other band through the rubberband..
Thanks!!

Does anyone know if lanyards are allowed on the water coaster Krakatau? Or anywhere lanyards won't be allowed?

Has anyone gone solo recently? How is it getting on the slides that seat you in a large raft or on the water coaster that seats 4? Any problems? Do the lifeguards help pair you up with other people? I'm on the fence about going next month as i will be there solo, may swap that day for a side trip to busch gardens instead

Back to school starts tomorrow in Florida and throughout a lot of the U.S. so it will be interesting to see the reports on the crowds the next few weeks. They may begin diminishing a bit.
YES! I'm anxious to hear how things pan out overall as the busy summer season draws to a close. It'll be interesting to see how wait times, etc. evolve with the first fall season for VB.

Has anyone gone solo recently? How is it getting on the slides that seat you in a large raft or on the water coaster that seats 4? Any problems? Do the lifeguards help pair you up with other people? I'm on the fence about going next month as i will be there solo, may swap that day for a side trip to busch gardens instead

I went solo yesterday. No problems at all getting on the raft rides. It went very well, I met some nice people. They not only combine solos, sometimes groups of 2 were combined together also. I had a great time, including the hour and a half I spent in the Boathouse bar during a rain delay!

I got a lot done during the hour and a half early entry. Krakatau wasn't running at first, so I rode Honu and Ike Moana, then Krakatau twice. Then I hit the Punga racers (hit my head on the side of the tube, won't do that ride again.) by this time it was past 9 so I used my express pass on Ohno and Ohyah, which did have return times listed, then went to Maku and Puihi which were both ride now. A couple of trips around the fearless river and took a food break.

Krakatau wait was up to 3 hours yesterday before they stopped everything about 1:30 for weather. Things started up again around 3:00 and crowds stayed pretty heavy until after 5, I think the wait was 2 hours at that point but many were shorter. Honu seemed to have a longish wait all day too. Taniwha Tubes were ride now all day I think. I did all 4 of them in about an hour. The wait for Kala & Tai Nui drop slides said 50 minutes when I tapped in, but it buzzed in about 30. Still waited pretty long after I got in line

Just remembered one other thing - when I got there at 7:30 Sunday the locker system was down, so the attendant was giving us free lockers. Mine was at the River Village. I did not go back until I was leaving and she had to unlock it for me. I had taken my phone and credit card with me which I ended up not needing at all because I had scanned my ticket into the universal app and set up payment ahead of time (I did need my paper tickets but that was it)

Last edited:
I have 2 days, 2 parks UO tickets and will be staying at RPR for 4 nights.

I was thinking of upgrading my tickets to 4 days, 2 parks which I think should cost about 30$ each.

From reading the tickets prices, I am calculating that for about the same price (30$), I could upgrade to 2 days, 3 parks tickets.

Am I correct, price wise?

And if so, I would have access to VB the same days at USO and IoA, unlike the Disney waterparks?

And finally, which of the two options would you recommend for a first time visit at UO?

You can upgrade your tickets to the 2 parks or 3 parks

And you can do the parks on the same day

I stayed with the 2 parks when I renewed my preferred ap

Hopefully others can help you with your decision making for costs if you go with an upgrade to the 3 park pass

I stay busy with just both parks and city walk and use hotel pools
If I want to try out Vbay, I will buy a single day ticket

I go most times solo and a water park for me would be more enjoyable going with others

Came back to add since this is your first visit to the darkside, the parks, city walk and the hotel pools might take up most of your time

Maybe if you do an upgrade from tickets to ap for the 2 park ap, you could upgrade from 2 park to 3 park while there

Check it out if that is possible before you upgrade

Email guest services for their present policy

Hi everyone I just got home :sad: . We had an amazing time I will put a trip review on the other thread later this week. I just wanted to do a quick VB update. We went back on 8-1 and had a cabana in the wave village. We were located on cabana row as it is dubbed. This is the line on the I-4 highway strip. We had a single and I have to say at first I was nervous about the location but honestly, after a bit you tune the cars out. Also, there is a ceiling fan and music so you can put it on and I didn't hear any noise. We were in cabana #22 and I have to say that it was the best one there. We were on a walking path along with 2 other cabanas. This was great because the other ones had sand up to their entrance and people would park the chairs in front of their cabana. The walkway deterred people from doing it to mine. The cabana was very nice and everything worked. We had a great hostess who came by all the time. We ordered one meal off the cabana menu because we had some quick service dining but was not able to use it with the plan. I am not sure if you can use the full service or not. The cabana menu had some of the items that were taking out of the restaurants. I would rent a cabana again but would hope the price would be a little cheaper.

We had EP and EE so it did make a difference in how much we did. However, we were walking through a plan if we didn't have EP and it would be doable. We are going back next year and I am sure they will not have EP. We did stay at CBBR and it was nice to go to VB from there.

The comments on the lazy and fearless river are true about the crowds and fighting for a tube. However, both days a guard came on duty and kept organization and it was so nice. The rides are great even if they are short. We had the photo pass and there were some selfie stations there. I would like to see more of those around the parks. Our tapu tapu came lose and would have fallen off but my husband tied it with shoe laces so we didn't lose it. I can't wait for the new ones to come. They will be more secure. We stayed at VB from open to close and had an awesome time.

We arrived both days at 7:15 and there was a line but it moved quickly. We found all the employees very helpful and enjoying their job.

We used the free-style machines and that came in very handy.

Any questions please ask:goodvibes

How much did u pay for the Cabana? Is there any way to know the price of it in September/October?

hi we paid $399.00 for a single. I think I remember someone booking the early fall and it was around the same as mine. The only way is if you call the week before since things change so often.

Looking for a map or layout of premium seating. any 1 place better than the next? from what i have been able to tell they are along the back/sides of seating areas.

I have 2 days, 2 parks UO tickets and will be staying at RPR for 4 nights.

I was thinking of upgrading my tickets to 4 days, 2 parks which I think should cost about 30$ each.

From reading the tickets prices, I am calculating that for about the same price (30$), I could upgrade to 2 days, 3 parks tickets.

Am I correct, price wise?

And if so, I would have access to VB the same days at USO and IoA, unlike the Disney waterparks?

And finally, which of the two options would you recommend for a first time visit at UO?
Happy to report the following:
I upgraded my 2 days, 2 parks tickets today at RPR. It was 30$ for 4 days, 2 parks or 40$ for 4 days, 3 parks... So Volcano Bay, here we come!

Edit: That is because the current promotion is add Volcano Bay to a 2 days, 2 parks ticket (40$) and they give 2 days free... Had I wanted to go to 5 days, it would have been another story...

Last edited:
Happy to report the following:
I upgraded my 2 days, 2 parks tickets today at RPR. It was 30$ for 4 days, 2 parks or 40$ for 4 days, 3 parks... So Volcano Bay, here we come!

Have fun! Before I went I was thinking I would not renew my seasonal 2 park AP which expires in Sept. But I had enough fun at Volcano Bay and the 3 park renewal rates aren't bad, I think I'm going for the 3 park preferred pass!

Leaving in a few hours for week long trip. Spent the day with son at doctor. He has broken foot. Boot crutches. And wheelchair to minimize walking.

He can't do anything at volcano bay. Such a disappointment but my other kids will still go

Will I be able to wheel him around volcano bay or is it too much sand?

In so sorry to read your son's foot was broken!

Why do these things happen to our families right before a trip?

He probably would be safer in a wc than use crutches if you have to walk on the sand

But pushing a person in a wc in the sand will not be an easy thing to do

Hope others see your question and give you a better answer than I did

I have not been to Vbay yet but have read many reports about it

Most say the sand is hot when walking barefooted
Not sure how many walkways it has that are away from the sandy paths

Hugs and hope the vacation goes good for your family

Leaving in a few hours for week long trip. Spent the day with son at doctor. He has broken foot. Boot crutches. And wheelchair to minimize walking.

He can't do anything at volcano bay. Such a disappointment but my other kids will still go

Will I be able to wheel him around volcano bay or is it too much sand?
At Volcano Bay as I write. The paths are concrete. Little spray to cool them down so make sure that this is ok with the wc and cast. The lounge chairs are in deep sand so those area are better be avoided with the wc, ok with crutches. You'll be able to stroll him around. Good luck!

We are planning to visit VB in the late afternoon after IOA. Is it possible for us to walk from IOA to VB? Or do we have to walk all the way back to the parking for bussing?

you can walk to one of the hotels and take the bus to Vbay
oniste hotels have busses that go to Vbay.

the one at RPR does a pick up stop at Sfalls before going to Vbay.

you can use the water taxis to the hotels or walk to one of them

you can walk to one of the hotels and take the bus to Vbay
oniste hotels have busses that go to Vbay.

the one at RPR does a pick up stop at Sfalls before going to Vbay.

you can use the water taxis to the hotels or walk to one of them

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of using the hotel busing as I thought that is only for resort guests. That will probably samr us a lot of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter