VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

Thanks very much for all of the positive feedback and useful information.

We are spending one day at VB in August and will definitely take advantage of the morning hours: we're staying at RPR.

Question for you please.

If you had to pick "must rides" before that masses move in - what would that ride list look like? Top 5? or whatever you think is appropriate would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Depends if you like the big Volcano slides or not (I cannot ride the twisty drop slides and didn't do the plunge)

For me, a good touring plan would be:

(pre#1 Ko'Kiri body plunge if you want that. If you want the twisty drop slides, I'd do them after Honu/Ika Moana)
1. Krakatoa Aqua coaster (ride twice if you can, literally no wait)
2. Honu
3. Ike Moana
(blue/green volcano slides here if you want/can ride them)
4. Punga Racers
5. OhNo
6. OhYah
7. Puihi
8. Maku
9. Anything else you want to repeat with little wait
10. Tiawahna Tubes (these stay as "ride now" the longest

Once you start getting wait times, you can enjoy the rivers and the pools. We kept just re-tapping the aqua coaster over and over. Between that and the Tiawahna Tubes, we could easily ride 15+ slides a day before knocking off early around 2pm.

Depends if you like the big Volcano slides or not (I cannot ride the twisty drop slides and didn't do the plunge)

(pre#1 Ko'Kiri body plunge if you want that. If you want the twisty drop slides, I'd do them after Honu/Ika Moana)
2. Honu
3. Ike Moana
4. Punga Racers
5. OhNo
6. OhYah
7. Puihi
8. Maku

Once you start getting wait times, you can enjoy the rivers and the pools. We kept just re-tapping the aqua coaster over and over. Between that and the Tiawahna Tubes, we could easily ride 15+ slides a day before knocking off early around 2pm.

Appreciate it!
Thank you!

2. Honu
3. Ike Moana
4. Punga Racers
5. OhNo
6. OhYah
7. Puihi
8. Maku

Another great attack plan for Vbay

SoniaM and RalphinSC, many thanks! You've helped me decide to cancel our premium seats...just ordered up a locking dry box form Amazon that I'll be able to use we a cable lock we already have. Our plan of attack will be to get there as early as possible for off-site-ers and hope for the best! We plan to go a couple of times over the course of our trip, so we'll have to plan for the first visit to be more of an acquaintance excursion and manage our expectations.

SoniaM and RalphinSC, many thanks! You've helped me decide to cancel our premium seats...just ordered up a locking dry box form Amazon that I'll be able to use we a cable lock we already have. Our plan of attack will be to get there as early as possible for off-site-ers and hope for the best! We plan to go a couple of times over the course of our trip, so we'll have to plan for the first visit to be more of an acquaintance excursion and manage our expectations.

Awesome! you are going to have an awesome time!

Any water park that I have to be through the security gates by 7 am "to beat the lines" is NOT a vacation. That is just too early AUGH. I can't even imagine putting other human beings through my DD when she's in a morning snit - which is anytime before 9 am...

I considered trying to rouse my family for Rope Drop... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa let me laugh about that! I was awake from anxiety at 6:40, it took until 8:30 for anyone else to stir, I was practically snapping a wet towel at their backsides to LEAVE the HOTEL at 9:15 am... yeah missed a bus and pretty much got into the Parks around 10 am every single day. As much as I tried otherwise... then again, everyone found themselves staying up until 1-2am because we are weird night owls.

Thinking, if we ever go to Universal, it's going to be a looooooooooooooooong time in the future, certainly they will have some kinks worked out by then. :) maybe 2040? LOL

Thanks for the feedback !!!
I really think I will cancel my cabana.... not getting enough info on it and the only reviews I saw are saying it's not worth it....

Hey guys!

Just back from an eight day trip in Orlando. Spent four of those days at least partly at Volcano Bay. So if you have a question, I can probably answer it!

A few observations:

1. We stayed at Cabana Bay. This hotel is an absolute STEAL if you want to go to Volcano Bay. I cannot recommend early entry enough. With the exception of our first day when we arrived after lunch due to check in, we were at the tapstiles for early entry between 7:00 and 7:30 and were among the first guest in the park. We got to pick out a great shaded lounger and even had our "favorite" spot by the end of the week so we could just go right there. From there, the first two hours is "ride now" heaven. Pretty much any slide you want. We rode Krakatoa 15 times during the week, including not even having to get off the tube one morning for a re-ride. On another morning, we were the first people to ride Krakatoa, Honu, Ike Moana, and Maku. Never had a tapu wait time for a ride before 10am by touring the rides in good order. We basically got to ride whatever we wanted until we tired out enough to tap a ride with a wait so we could enjoy the lazy river. If you are staying onsite and are not up and going into this park as soon as it opens, you only have yourself to blame for waiting in long lines.

2. The aquacoaster is incredible! It's the best water ride in Orlando.

3. My second favorite slide was Honu. It's a very short ride though. Two high thrill moments and then a splashdown.

4. Premium seating and cabana rentals are not worth it IMO. Our loungers we picked out at rope drop had much better shade than the premium seating and we didn't have to bother with going to the concierge hut to rent them (also known as wasting time that you could actually be riding something with no wait early in the morning). I bought an aquabox to lock onto my lounger to store my valuables. Never had a problem bringing it in the park and it worked like a charm. We found our favorite group of shaded loungers right by the dancing dragons bar and they served us well. We never had a long wait for either food of drink during the week. I certainly was able to get what I wanted by myself a lot quicker than the premium loungers located behind us. I just cannot justify paying for something that I'm hardly going to use and that will cost me time on both actually renting it and on getting what I want when I want it. But, to each their own.

5. There is still a lot of construction ongoing and the park will continue to improve. There is a lot left to do near the volcano around Punga Racers and the action river. But they are working on it every night. They are also building cabanas all over the park and have even started on the expansion and extension of the park access road behind Maku/Puihi. The Vol experience inside of the volcano is not finished yet and a lot more Tapu points are being put in all over the park. Every day, it gets more and more complete. And it's a great park already.

6. Quit reading the horror stories. Honestly, brass tacks, I'm an AP holder and was able to go four days within a week. Aside from the first "check it out" day, I got every single thing I absolutely wanted done on each day and left feeling like a got a "complete" park experience. If you come at opening (early entry) and prioritize riding the longest wait things first, you will have an incredibly fun day. If you want to sleep in, come at lunch, stay offsite, etc; you must understand that each of those things are things that will make your wait times longer, and your experience different than what I had. I'm telling you how easy it is to have a wonderful day at this park and ride all you want. It's up to you how you want to apply that info.

7. Tapu tapu worked great for me. We used it for the Taptu pay as well and never had a problem. On our last morning, my son had a stubborn band that sometimes took a few taps to access slides, but aside from that every thing worked great. As a side note to that, make sure you keep checking your bands and get the extra rubber band on them if you can. I had my band fall off in the action river once and then lost my prescription glasses while diving after my band (that was incredibly dumb on my part. I never found the glasses again, the volcano gods ate them. Do not bring ANYTHING into the action river you cannot afford parting with). I also found a good half dozen bands throughout the week in the rivers and at the end of slides. Always check for your band after a slide.

I'm sure I will have a lot more to add as it comes to mine. Open for any questions! :dogdance:

Thanks for this detailed write up. One question, what time where you actually allowed to enter the park for early entry? In other words, is there actually a queue point inside the park or would they allow you to get your chairs and the queue for opening was at the rides? If there is only one queue point, what time would they allow access to the park? Would it be before 8am?

Any water park that I have to be through the security gates by 7 am "to beat the lines" is NOT a vacation. That is just too early AUGH. I can't even imagine putting other human beings through my DD when she's in a morning snit - which is anytime before 9 am...

I considered trying to rouse my family for Rope Drop... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa let me laugh about that! I was awake from anxiety at 6:40, it took until 8:30 for anyone else to stir, I was practically snapping a wet towel at their backsides to LEAVE the HOTEL at 9:15 am... yeah missed a bus and pretty much got into the Parks around 10 am every single day. As much as I tried otherwise... then again, everyone found themselves staying up until 1-2am because we are weird night owls.

Thinking, if we ever go to Universal, it's going to be a looooooooooooooooong time in the future, certainly they will have some kinks worked out by then. :) maybe 2040? LOL

You can try to work it in reverse then, because I've seen good reports on that, too. Show up mid-to late afternoon and ride everything as everyone else is going home. Or go right after storms roll through. Tim Tracker did a great video a couple of days ago with how successful he was with touring the park after a storm.

I'm definitely a morning person and fully understand why being early like that won't work for everyone, lol.

Hey guys!

Just back from an eight day trip in Orlando. Spent four of those days at least partly at Volcano Bay. So if you have a question, I can probably answer it!

A few observations:

1. We stayed at Cabana Bay. This hotel is an absolute STEAL if you want to go to Volcano Bay. I cannot recommend early entry enough. With the exception of our first day when we arrived after lunch due to check in, we were at the tapstiles for early entry between 7:00 and 7:30 and were among the first guest in the park. We got to pick out a great shaded lounger and even had our "favorite" spot by the end of the week so we could just go right there. From there, the first two hours is "ride now" heaven. Pretty much any slide you want. We rode Krakatoa 15 times during the week, including not even having to get off the tube one morning for a re-ride. On another morning, we were the first people to ride Krakatoa, Honu, Ike Moana, and Maku. Never had a tapu wait time for a ride before 10am by touring the rides in good order. We basically got to ride whatever we wanted until we tired out enough to tap a ride with a wait so we could enjoy the lazy river. If you are staying onsite and are not up and going into this park as soon as it opens, you only have yourself to blame for waiting in long lines.

3. My second favorite slide was Honu. It's a very short ride though. Two high thrill moments and then a splashdown.

4. Premium seating and cabana rentals are not worth it IMO. Our loungers we picked out at rope drop had much better shade than the premium seating and we didn't have to bother with going to the concierge hut to rent them (also known as wasting time that you could actually be riding something with no wait early in the morning). I bought an aquabox to lock onto my lounger to store my valuables. Never had a problem bringing it in the park and it worked like a charm. We found our favorite group of shaded loungers right by the dancing dragons bar and they served us well. We never had a long wait for either food of drink during the week. I certainly was able to get what I wanted by myself a lot quicker than the premium loungers located behind us. I just cannot justify paying for something that I'm hardly going to use and that will cost me time on both actually renting it and on getting what I want when I want it. But, to each their own.

5. There is still a lot of construction ongoing and the park will continue to improve. There is a lot left to do near the volcano around Punga Racers and the action river. But they are working on it every night. They are also building cabanas all over the park and have even started on the expansion and extension of the park access road behind Maku/Puihi. The Vol experience inside of the volcano is not finished yet and a lot more Tapu points are being put in all over the park. Every day, it gets more and more complete. And it's a great park already.

6. Quit reading the horror stories. Honestly, brass tacks, I'm an AP holder and was able to go four days within a week. Aside from the first "check it out" day, I got every single thing I absolutely wanted done on each day and left feeling like a got a "complete" park experience. If you come at opening (early entry) and prioritize riding the longest wait things first, you will have an incredibly fun day. If you want to sleep in, come at lunch, stay offsite, etc; you must understand that each of those things are things that will make your wait times longer, and your experience different than what I had. I'm telling you how easy it is to have a wonderful day at this park and ride all you want. It's up to you how you want to apply that info.

7. Tapu tapu worked great for me. We used it for the Taptu pay as well and never had a problem. On our last morning, my son had a stubborn band that sometimes took a few taps to access slides, but aside from that every thing worked great. As a side note to that, make sure you keep checking your bands and get the extra rubber band on them if you can. I had my band fall off in the action river once and then lost my prescription glasses while diving after my band (that was incredibly dumb on my part. I never found the glasses again, the volcano gods ate them. Do not bring ANYTHING into the action river you cannot afford parting with). I also found a good half dozen bands throughout the week in the rivers and at the end of slides. Always check for your band after a slide.

I'm sure I will have a lot more to add as it comes to mine. Open for any questions! :dogdance:

Did you happen to notice if there were lockers close to the location you were in your chairs?

Thanks for this detailed write up. One question, what time where you actually allowed to enter the park for early entry? In other words, is there actually a queue point inside the park or would they allow you to get your chairs and the queue for opening was at the rides? If there is only one queue point, what time would they allow access to the park? Would it be before 8am?

They started allowing us to tap in at about 7:50am. There is a roped corridor like when you do early entry at other parks where they check your room key. They funnel all early entry guest down to the volcano beach and from there you can exit out one of the sides to go to the slide of your choosing. The "holding area" for offsite guests in the park is on the main pathway around and off to the right by the first restaurant. We found that out by trying to cut back across that way one morning.

If you are early entry; you come in, get funneled onto the main beach, grab a lounger if you choose to, and then branch off to whatever slide you want to go to. The whole park is open for early entry, though we did run into the mat slides being down one morning when we got around to them. Some of the added effects (misters and waterfalls, etc) come on a bit later in the day. Noticed this when riding Honu. In the morning none of the misters are on the slides, but by the afternoon they all were going.

Did you happen to notice if there were lockers close to the location you were in your chairs?

Yes, there are locker areas to both the right and left of the beach after you go in. I think the one to the left may technically be closer, but I never used a locker with my aqua box.

Hey guys!

A few observations:

Thanks for the great report.:goodvibes I am now rethinking my premium loungers for chairs where you suggest. Where is the dancing dragons bar when you come in? Also what aquabox did you purchase? I am not familiar with these but it sounds like a good idea.
Did you enter the specific entry for Cabana Bay guests?

Thank you:thumbsup2

Thanks for the great report.:goodvibes I am now rethinking my premium loungers for chairs where you suggest. Where is the dancing dragons bar when you come in? Also what aquabox did you purchase? I am not familiar with these but it sounds like a good idea.

Search aquavault or beach chair lock box :drinking:

And yes, we used the Cabana Bay security checkpoint for all four of our days there. They check for room keys and then do the typical security check-in.

Search aquavault or beach chair lock box :drinking:

And yes, we used the Cabana Bay security checkpoint for all four of our days there. They check for room keys and then do the typical security check-in.

Thank you I found it:thumbsup2..I am glad to hear you were able to use that entrance. Which direction would I go to get to the dancing dragons when I get to the main beach? :thanks:

Hey guys!

A few observations:

Hi were you there during a storm? I was wondering what they are having guests do about leaving. Do you have to leave the park or just wait it out somewhere safe? I was thinking if I kept my premium lounge chairs and had to leave half way through the day and couldn't get back in that would stink!
Thank you:)

If I had known about the aquabox thing, I might not have gotten our loungers. However, I decided to keep them for our next trip. It's just 1 day. I will probably let DH and DS run off while I wait for the lounger. They can take forever it seems. I think you can still do well by getting there early. You will still get a decent amount done. Have a great trip!

Dancing Dragons is the bar toward the front of the park, in front of the wave pool. The other bar, Kunuku Boat Bar I think, is back toward the exit of the fearless river on Hammerhead beach. It's behind the volcano.

Thanks! Is this the touring plan you would do if it were a busy day / factoring in the wait times?
Would you be able to do a list of rides that have the longest/shortest wait times? :)

Generally, the longest times I have seen run very close to this list. The Body plunge is the longest line in the park. Easily gets up to four-hours on most days because it has low capacity and is the only volcano slide without a 200 pound weight limit. Krakatoa kinda of falls in second because it is something nearly everyone can and will want to ride. The other two volcano slides can build long lines from just having poor load times, but they are not nearly as bad now since there is a weight limit. OhYah and OhNo have terribly slow ride times and can build big lines. Of the family raft rides, Honu will have the longest line, followed by Puihi, the Ike Moana, and lastly Maku. Punga racers can build a long line in the afternoons because it is slow and rarely runs at full capacity due to weight load issues on the outer slides. Tiawahna Tubes is the lowest wait for a Tapu ride in the park. It is a very commonly designed slide tower and has good load efficiency.

So, shortened list (based purely on worst case wait times from my observations):

1. Body plunge - Can easily get a four-plus hour line. Line builds fast
2. Krakatoa - Two hour lines common on busy days
3. Honu - Line can get to two-hours plus
4. Twin volcano slides - Can get a two to three hour line. Line can build fast
5A. OhNo - slow loading, can get to a 100 minute wait. Line can build fast
5B. OhYah - slow loading, lower wait that OhNo
6. Puihi - good capacity, waits up to 90 minutes
7. Punga racers - breaks down more than other slides, can get a three hour wait if reliability is an issue
8. Ike Moana - waits can range from two hours to very low. effected by Honu wait times
9. Maku - gentlest family raft ride in the park. max wait around 90 minutes
10. Tiawahna Tubes- Often ride now, never seen a longer wait than 30 minutes. reliable
11. Rivers and wave pool

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!