VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

I have never been here but was thinking of planning a trip for next year. I was told by some people there are weight limits on some rides. I tried looking it up but couldn't find any proper information. Any help would be appreicatted.

I have never been here but was thinking of planning a trip for next year. I was told by some people there are weight limits on some rides. I tried looking it up but couldn't find any proper information. Any help would be appreicatted.
A couple of the big 'drop' slides have a 200lb limit.

Sorry, here you go!
K’ori Body Plunge (48″ to ride, max weight to ride 200lbs)
Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides (48 in to ride, max weight 200lbs)

Sorry, here you go!
K’ori Body Plunge (48″ to ride, max weight to ride 200lbs)
Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides (48 in to ride, max weight 200lbs)
Thank you so much. Those are rides I would not ride anyways, so I guess it is worth then going to do volcano bay. I also read that Punga Riders, I think that is what its called has a 150 weight limit. I think some people said it is a dangerous ride anyways. Any info is welcomed and thank you again!

@captaindavidhook,
The ones that have more restrictions are the ones that @CJK mentioned. However, Ko'okiri Body Plunge has a 300-lb. limit, and Kala and Tai Nui have a 275-lb. limit.

You are correct that Punga Racers has a 150-lb limit. Currently it is undergoing a rehab, and based on what I have heard and seen, I am going to go out on a limb and say the weight limit on that one may change.

The ones that have more restrictions are the ones that @CJK mentioned. However, Ko'okiri Body Plunge has a 300-lb. limit, and Kala and Tai Nui have a 275-lb. limit.
Do you know how the weight limits have been enforced for these slides specifically? I haven't ridden since last summer (August of 2019) and my dh wasn't able to ride Tai Nui at 210lbs. They seem to be inconsistent with weight limits, but that was our experience in summer 2019.

Can someone please tell me the difference between these rides---Puini, Maku, Honu, Ika Moana...I watched all of them on you tube and they basically see like the same ride. Is there any difference in them four? Tia.

Do you know how the weight limits have been enforced for these slides specifically? I haven't ridden since last summer (August of 2019) and my dh wasn't able to ride Tai Nui at 210lbs. They seem to be inconsistent with weight limits, but that was our experience in summer 2019.

I’m sorry your DH wasn’t able to ride back then. I know that at one time, Kala and Tai Nui did have a stricter weight limit than the 275 lbs - it seems like that must have been in effect during your summer visit. They do enforce the weight limtiswith the scales at the entrance to the attractions.

Can someone please tell me the difference between these rides---Puini, Maku, Honu, Ika Moana...I watched all of them on you tube and they basically see like the same ride. Is there any difference in them four? Tia.

They have similar elements in that they’re the family style raft rides. Honu to me is the most distinct one (and my personal favorite) with the double walls. Puihi has a couple of smaller walls. Ika Moana feels like a typical family raft ride. Maku feels like your typical family raft ride, with two portions where you are going around in an open area with a fountain in the middle.

Last edited:
Hello CaptainDavid, My experience is from when the parked first opened. The family rides had scales as the total weight of the rafts had to be within a certain range. I do not remember scales on any other type ride. I hope that helps a little.

You are correct that Punga Racers has a 150-lb limit. Currently it is undergoing a rehab, and based on what I have heard and seen, I am going to go out on a limb and say the weight limit on that one may change.

I hope so. My kids loved this...but my 16 year old at 6 feet, and 160 lbs couldn't go on it with his siblings last year which was a disappointment

I just called about a cabana for July and the good news is they are taking reservations, the bad news is a single cabana is $624 and the family cabana was $925 😧. I was expecting maybe $450, I was not expecting that!

They could be raising the rates thinking there are folks willing to pay more to have that guaranteed separation from others that a cabana can provide. It will be interesting to see if those rates stay at that level or if they get reduced over the next few months.

They could be raising the rates thinking there are folks willing to pay more to have that guaranteed separation from others that a cabana can provide. It will be interesting to see if those rates stay at that level or if they get reduced over the next few months.

I hope you are right! I’ll call back when we get closer to our trip. I spouted off to my family already though, “ Hey, let’s get a cabana!” and they were all about that idea. So I’m gonna have to break it to them at dinner, bc there’s no way I’m paying that.

Is premium seating available the day of ? Or is that something you have to prearrange? Do the sun shades help much? Or are they not adjustable?

Is premium seating available the day of ? Or is that something you have to prearrange? Do the sun shades help much? Or are they not adjustable?

I don't know if they are available day of. They definitely do take reservations though. I also don't know if they moved them or not. The last time we rented one was in October 2018. They were situated at the back of the wave pool area facing the volcano, right behind the bar. Mid-day the sun was shining directly into our loungers. The shades only go about half way. You can sometimes make them go all the way over, but then there is no airflow in the lounger. Plus it will only cover about half of the lounger, so that you can not stretch out. Unless they have moved them, I decided I wouldn't rent one again because of this. There are some large wooden structures in the regular chair areas that provide good shade. Those are free and first come. None of those wooden structures are in front of the wave pool though. If you don't care where you sit and you get there early, then the wooden structures may be better for shade. There are also large umbrellas spread around and trees, which provide varying degrees of shade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!