VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hey, JT, are you holding out on the recipe? I'm sure I could look it up, but. . .well. . .pirate:

More than happy to share it, here ya go Sleepy!

1 qt. Dole pineapple juice(make sure to use Dole, others aren't as tasty in this recipe)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 cups heavy whipping cream(use Target brand, not as heavy and not as greasy)
3 cups sugar
Milk

Mix pineapple juice and sugar, making sure sugar is dissolved
Next, add the cream and vanilla
Pour the whole mixture into a 4 qt. ice cream maker(I mix all the stuff in the maker)
Add milk to finish, filling to the fill line

I have found that this tastes even better after you have made it and let it freeze even harder in your home freezer. So you can make allow the magic to spread out over a few days:-)

DW and I are planning on an Aulani trip next year, so my ears perk up when I hear about tips for Oahu. So maybe the Dole Plantation is something to pass on? I understand we can get our Dole Whip fix at Aulani so is the plantation worth it otherwise?
Knowing what I know, I would skip it.

More than happy to share it, here ya go Sleepy!

1 qt. Dole pineapple juice(make sure to use Dole, others aren't as tasty in this recipe)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 cups heavy whipping cream(use Target brand, not as heavy and not as greasy)
3 cups sugar
Milk

Mix pineapple juice and sugar, making sure sugar is dissolved
Next, add the cream and vanilla
Pour the whole mixture into a 4 qt. ice cream maker(I mix all the stuff in the maker)
Add milk to finish, filling to the fill line

I have found that this tastes even better after you have made it and let it freeze even harder in your home freezer. So you can make allow the magic to spread out over a few days:-)
This looks Delish! Thanks J&T

DW and I are planning on an Aulani trip next year, so my ears perk up when I hear about tips for Oahu. So maybe the Dole Plantation is something to pass on? I understand we can get our Dole Whip fix at Aulani so is the plantation worth it otherwise?

Sorry to take the thread off course a bit.

I think it's worthwhile to tour if you have the time but would place other things ahead of it. It never would have crossed my mind to stop there just for a dole whip though! Shaved ice is higher on my treat list in Hawaii. :goodvibes

I think it's worthwhile to tour if you have the time but would place other things ahead of it. It never would have crossed my mind to stop there just for a dole whip though! Shaved ice is higher on my treat list in Hawaii. :goodvibes
Sounds delicious. I keep hearing about Hawaiian shaved ice here and there. I wonder why Disney never picked up on this treat for use at the poly. I'm not complaining about dole whips, not at all... just curious, are they too labor intensive to make?

Sounds delicious. I keep hearing about Hawaiian shaved ice here and there. I wonder why Disney never picked up on this treat for use at the poly. I'm not complaining about dole whips, not at all... just curious, are they too labor intensive to make?

I seem to recall that they did do shaved ice for a little while - maybe last year? It was gone before our trip and I was quite sad as I was looking forward to it!

Oh yes - found one story on it: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ailable-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/

Of course if it's not on the menu it's not exactly going to fly out the door. :rolleyes:

It appears that a place in Disney Springs is offering Shaved Ice though.

Julie, the pics that you are posted are gorgeous! Maybe someday I'll make it over there. So glad you had a good trip.

Given the choice, I'd probably prefer the citrus swirl. The dole whip is okay, but I tend to think the pineapple juice is a little sour. When it's all mixed together, I will eat it. Maybe I'm thinking of the float. If/When we go to Hawaii in December of 2018, I do want to go to the plantation. Since we've never been (at least most of us in the family), I figured it would be something we wouldn't want to miss. Is it really a waste of time?

DD21 moved back to college in Arkansas today. Hope she's able to make her bed and decorate her room without my help! :teeth: I miss her already though.

The school year is off to a blazing start. I'm having all kinds of technology issues in my room that are making me beyond frustrated. I'm still not completely adjusted to my new schedule yet. Making plans to watch the eclipse on Monday with my 6h period class though. Anybody else making plans for your area? I got on the bandwagon a little too late. Ordered glasses off of Amazon for probably a ridiculously elevated price. I'm sure DH will be super happy with me when he notices it on the credit card!:chat: Oh well, it's sort of a once in a lifetime thing right? I think our best viewing time in Alabama is around 1:30 on Monday. Hopefully my glasses will actually arrive before then!

We passed the Dole Plantation on a ride to the North shore, and we enjoyed the tram ride and the extensive gift shop. The next time, we probably will walk through the gardens. It was not a highlight of the trip, but enjoyable.

It appears that a place in Disney Springs is offering Shaved Ice though.

I assume this is pretty similar to the Kaki Gori shaved ice stand next to Japan in EPCOT? We used to stop at that stand every trip when we were summer travelers. thumbsup2.gif

Jimmy, DDad, Kathy and Bobbi...thanks for all the input regarding the Dole Plantation. We are not sure how long we will be at Aulani so just in the beginning stages of gathering information for the trip next year. :thanks:

Jimmy, DDad, Kathy and Bobbi...thanks for all the input regarding the Dole Plantation. We are not sure how long we will be at Aulani so just in the beginning stages of gathering information for the trip next year. :thanks:

We have booked the RCCL cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu, that's how we're getting to Aulani, I think on September 17. What time of the year are you thinking about?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I do want to go to the plantation. Since we've never been (at least most of us in the family), I figured it would be something we wouldn't want to miss. Is it really a waste of time? . . . . . . . . .

A waste of time is in the heart of the participant. If you are on a fast paced trip though Oahu, I would pass up the visit, but if there is time, do it! Again, as I said in a past comment, it is not Disney; the paths may not be edged, their are weeds among the garden standouts, and the tram may need a little loving care, but you will see things and experience things available no where else. Ever see a purple pineapple?

If you are looking to leave Ko Olina (gated area where Aulani is located) and venture out into Oahu, you MUST go to Pearl Harbor and experience the memorial. It is different than one would think; a marvelous experience. And a visit to the Punch Bowl (National Cemetery) is also a worthwhile visit. Climbing Diamond Head is certainly iconic, but wear GOOD shoes and prepare to climb hundreds of steps when you finally reach the top to stand on the top of an old WWII concrete bunker. The North Shore is beautiful. Whale watching is really cool (if you are there in the winter season). Refresh yourself at Duke's on Waikiki beach. And so on and so on . . . My BEST advice is to be sure you have a good size purse or backpack to carry your stuff. And NEVER leave ANYTHING of value in your rented car. After two visits, I have learned the hard way that you are surrounds by those in need: and they need your stuff.

Last edited:
Dole whip - I'm with Sleepy - way to sweet for me to eat a whole one - I just have some of DDad's :)
Thanks JT for the recipe!

Granny, I very much enjoyed the Dole plantation. We were on Oahu for 12 days, so time was not a premium for us. To take the train ride through the fields of pineapples growing was a unique experience.

Beautiful pictures Julie. Thanks for sharing with us!

Bobbi thats a great way to get to Honolulu - how are you getting home?

Dole whip - I'm with Sleepy - way to sweet for me to eat a whole one - I just have some of DDad's :)
Thanks JT for the recipe!

Granny, I very much enjoyed the Dole plantation. We were on Oahu for 12 days, so time was not a premium for us. To take the train ride through the fields of pineapples growing was a unique experience.

Beautiful pictures Julie. Thanks for sharing with us!

Bobbi thats a great way to get to Honolulu - how are you getting home?

We intend to take non stop to Newark. This is the first time we will be going to Aulani since we moved to NJ. The other times we went from Dayton OH. In 2015, we also took RCCL's cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu. Earlier this year we used an RCI exchange to spend a week on Maui during February and yes, we saw many whales. It seems like we hope to go to Hawaii every 18 months as long as our health allows! Because of the distance, we want to always do more than "just" Aulani. The RCCL cruise is a vacation in itself, 10 nights, with I think 4 stops in Hawaiian ports, so it's a chance to see other islands.

2015 was our first trans Pacific cruise, and it was rockier than either of our trans Atlantic cruises. It was not terrible, but you did feel motion.

Julie, the pics that you are posted are gorgeous! Maybe someday I'll make it over there. So glad you had a good trip.

DD21 moved back to college in Arkansas today. Hope she's able to make her bed and decorate her room without my help! :teeth: I miss her already though.

Thanks. You definitely should try to make it to NZ some day. So worth the trip.

We drop off our oldest to college a week from today. All my friends keep telling me to make sure I pack a box of tissues for the ride home. :sad: I'm not sure how I'll react. I guess I'll find out next week.

The school year is off to a blazing start. I'm having all kinds of technology issues in my room that are making me beyond frustrated. I'm still not completely adjusted to my new schedule yet. Making plans to watch the eclipse on Monday with my 6h period class though. Anybody else making plans for your area? I got on the bandwagon a little too late. Ordered glasses off of Amazon for probably a ridiculously elevated price. I'm sure DH will be super happy with me when he notices it on the credit card!:chat: Oh well, it's sort of a once in a lifetime thing right? I think our best viewing time in Alabama is around 1:30 on Monday. Hopefully my glasses will actually arrive before then!
We're taking our entire middle school out (three grades). Our science teachers have been talking about it since school started Tuesday. We sent an opt-out letter home to parents (so far, we've had a half dozen kids whose parents do NOT want them to watch the eclipse). On Monday, all classes will go out ahead of the prime viewing time to the football stands where our longest-serving science teacher will explain the process and what to expect. At that time, each student will get a pair of ISO-approved glasses, donated courtesy of our Virginia State Parks, and then wait for the eclipse. Since it's late in school day here, we've already sent out a notice to parents that the school day will end 45 minutes later than usual. We're all set. :thumbsup2

We have booked the RCCL cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu, that's how we're getting to Aulani, I think on September 17. What time of the year are you thinking about?

Bobbi...we are looking at possibly April/May, with a fall back of September/October. It all depends on 7 month availability both at Aulani and VGF where we plan to stay a few days on the way home. We like the September timing but since we are planning a December trip next year to WDW, we were looking to space our trips out a bit.

Making plans to watch the eclipse on Monday with my 6h period class though. Anybody else making plans for your area? I got on the bandwagon a little too late. Ordered glasses off of Amazon for probably a ridiculously elevated price. I'm sure DH will be super happy with me when he notices it on the credit card!:chat: Oh well, it's sort of a once in a lifetime thing right? I think our best viewing time in Alabama is around 1:30 on Monday. Hopefully my glasses will actually arrive before then!

People around here are getting very excited about the eclipse since St. Louis is in the path of eclipse totality. Here's a great link from NASA that let's you click on it to get the data about what you can expect in any given area.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

I have to admit, I'm not all that fired up about it. But it is interesting to me that during the time of total eclipse, they're telling everyone that they can take their glasses off!

Sorry, but with only five senses I can't afford to take chances on losing one of them! :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!