VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

likesdisney
Sleepy has given you some great ideas of ways to relax and soak in the ambiance of the Lodge. Not to take away, but add, little things like the subtle western themed music playing in the background, taking in the Wonders of the Lodge Tour, listening to the crickets(Disney version)chirping at night among the flickering lanterns, enjoying a favorite beverage at Territory Lounge or Geyser Point in the evening, these and many more things are draws for me to WL/VWL ambiance.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas. I might just have to take a walk and have my coffee in several locations lol. We're staying in a standard studio, what are our options as regards room requests? I'm assuming that all the standard rooms face away from the lake?

Thanks for all the ideas. I might just have to take a walk and have my coffee in several locations lol. We're staying in a standard studio, what are our options as regards room requests? I'm assuming that all the standard rooms face away from the lake?

BRV doesn't have any view classifications. I think Standard Studio is what CRO calls studios when reserved on a cash reservation? In any event, there are no formal room view designation differences like there are in the lodge since all studios cost the same at BRV.

Many like to stay on the lake side of the resort, so you could request that (odd number room). Aside from that, it is just a matter of personal preferences. The DVC resort is very small, so there are no long hallway walks that you might find at other resorts.

Good luck in your planning...we are sure you will love this resort as we do! :)

I've never seen evidence that calling a few days in advance helps with requests. We always just email our very general requests to Member Services and have had pretty good luck with our room assignments. On the other hand, @KAT4DISNEY has made requests for years at VWL that the room assigners have infamously ignored. So at the end, it does become the luck of the draw. If most people want a lake view, then many will be disappointed as they have to assign all rooms if the resort is fully booked (as it often is).

I think more important than the timing of the room request is the timing of the check-in. People start checking in during the morning (even though rooms are not generally ready until around 4:00p) and tend to "politely" ask for the most highly sought after rooms. And the front desk people do change room assignments to make the guests happy. People who arrive later in the day (4:00 or later) tend to get the leftovers.

I have no specific data to support this but I think I've seen enough anecdotal evidence through personal experience and postings on forums to think this is what often happens.

I think the best approach is to put in a room request but be prepared to get your least desired room. And then just roll with the assignment, knowing that someone has to get placed in every villa. Good luck!

giphy.gif

Some early mornings with a nice quiet cup of coffee in the main lobby soaking up the atmosphere

I couldn't agree more! I love to get up really early and watch the lobby "come to life" as it transforms from a relatively empty area to the hustle and bustle of the day!

likesdisney
Many of us like to request lake side(though dont ask KAT4DISNEY or Granny how they ask for requests;))as it affords a great view. But if you get the bus side, thats not bad either.
A couple of things I request are high floor(gives better views and less likely critters wander in, plus affords a bit more privacy as every so often workers may wander by as you are enjoying your cup o Joe) and 2nd, near elevators. We make VWL sound like its huge, but really, its not. It has a bit of a long hallway, but not terrible. But we like near elevators as the rooms in the atrium area have a little different configuration. Only downside to this is there is one particular studio that does not have a balcony. A few here can attest to it as they have stayed in it. I once went in the room when a friend who was on the DIS boards back in the day invited us in. He was shocked he didn't have a balcony!

We had 5519 one time over Christmas. Probably my best VWL memory ever. It was a two bedroom reservation, but we had a lockoff. Survived the 16 year old birthday trip to BWV with DD. DH ended up not being able to come until Thursday of the week so it was just the two of us. We did Ohana for dinner (her request) and it was fine. They sang to her and brought her a cupcake. We did a little retail therapy while at the world, that at least made DD16 happy. Our stay at BWV was pretty good. I just love the easy access to Epcot and the studios. Having two stays in two weeks was a lot between the 1/2 marathon and our vacation week. Our AP's expire soon. We won't renew for at least another year. We've gotten a good bit of mileage out of them this past year though. I guess that will give the DVC points a year or so to recoup.

So nice to read all the chatter about what we like about The Lodge! Just make one want to get back as soon as possible!

I couldn't agree more! I love to get up really early and watch the lobby "come to life" as it transforms from a relatively empty area to the hustle and bustle of the day!

This has always been a favourite thing of mine to do. Start off by the main fireplace in a rocker and then work my way up to a fireplace above the entrance doors. I still remember my first visit to the Lodge Christmas 1994 and possibly 1996 that the main fireplace had an actual wood burning fire and it was so beautiful to sit and watch a crackling fire. I Love that place!

So many times the Inglenook would be occupied by others enjoying it. Drat! :headache:

Into the Carolwood Pacific Room: occupied again. Drat! :headache:

But we do get our chances. It is so nice to know that these locations are appreciated.

Just to crow a little . . . . DiznyDi & I just purchased two Morris Chairs to sit in front of our living room fireplace. Our fireplace covers the one wall at the end of the room, with book cases on either side. Great place to discuss the day; and they are never occupied! :love2:

DiznyDi's Christmas present was installation of gas logs: really nice, low mess, low work, but I miss the "Crackle". ::yes::

So many times the Inglenook would be occupied by others enjoying it. Drat! :headache:

Into the Carolwood Pacific Room: occupied again. Drat! :headache:

But we do get our chances. It is so nice to know that these locations are appreciated.

Just to crow a little . . . . DiznyDi & I just purchased two Morris Chairs to sit in front of our living room fireplace. Our fireplace covers the one wall at the end of the room, with book cases on either side. Great place to discuss the day; and they are never occupied! :love2:

DiznyDi's Christmas present was installation of gas logs: really nice, low mess, low work, but I miss the "Crackle". ::yes::
I was mostly surprised last trip to only find 3 adult-sized rocking chairs on the "front porch." Perhaps the numbers have always been low, but I thought there were more than that.

As for the gas logs, when we moved into our current home nearly 7 years ago, we had a real fire place but it had been converted to gas logs. My first thought was to return the fireplace to its original condition and purpose, but Luv cautioned that if we did so, we'd have no good source of heat in the family room other than a real fire that takes work to start, and I'm queasy about fires burning when I'm not near them, so I have to make sure they're basically burned out before I can rest. It was a good call by my wife as I've realized over the years, despite having put in those Mitsubishi slim heaters you see in so many areas now.

Hey Gang. Haven't posted in a while, always good to stop back in and read what's been going on via trip reports. We are getting ready for our annual VWL trip this late May, and I had a question. Is Teton still renting the little sea raycer boats? Or can I get them only at the Fort? Never rented one before and my wife and I thought it would be cool to get two, one for her and our daughter and one for my son and I. Thanks in advance.

Seth

Hey Gang. Haven't posted in a while, always good to stop back in and read what's been going on via trip reports. We are getting ready for our annual VWL trip this late May, and I had a question. Is Teton still renting the little sea raycer boats? Or can I get them only at the Fort? Never rented one before and my wife and I thought it would be cool to get two, one for her and our daughter and one for my son and I. Thanks in advance.

Seth

Welcome back, Seth. :)

According to Disney World's website, they should be available at all marinas:

upload_2019-3-21_12-8-25.png

So I think you will be good to go! :thumbsup2

We have rented them when our kids were younger and they were always a lot of fun. Getting to take the boats over to Seven Seas Lagoon in front of Magic Kingdom was a real treat for the kids (and adults!)

So I think you will be good to go! :thumbsup2

I just looked on the DVC member site and they only list Contemporary and Fort Wilderness as having boat rentals. I know they shut down the marina at Wilderness Lodge during CCV construction, but I thought they had re-opened it. Evidently not? Sorry I don't have better information...hopefully someone else can provide that.

I just looked on the DVC member site and they only list Contemporary and Fort Wilderness as having boat rentals. I know they shut down the marina at Wilderness Lodge during CCV construction, but I thought they had re-opened it. Evidently not? Sorry I don't have better information...hopefully someone else can provide that.
Odd the DVC site says that, Disney's hotel side says: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/motorized-boats/. When I was there in November I saw some at the dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!