VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I should keep up with these things, but does anyone have an email contact for both WL management and WDW at large? I failed to take the surveys they sent in a timely manner, and now they've expired. I would like to pass along a few observations from our trip in December. Thanks, and enjoy your Sunday!

93 left for us. We received about 4-5 inches nice it was on a weekend so we didn’t have to worry about work. Horselover so glad you can spread some good cheer to your friend With MM.
what night are you going? We have tickets for the 21st!!

We're going 3/3.

Hi Groupies!

Hope all is well! Work has been insane and I have to say I spend far too much time on the JetBlue site trying to book airfare to Sarasota for a trip (hopefully) in March and to MCO in May. I booked a few days in early May at BWV for F & G, and the plan is to drive to Sarasota for a few days after that.

JetBlue has changed their booking categories which has proven to be quite a challenge for me and rather frustrating.

Hope you all have a happy Sunday!

Hi Corinne! :wave2: Sorry you're having trouble with JB. I was sad to see them go the way of so many other airlines now & add that basic fare. They used to be one of my favorite airlines. It's been downhill since they decided to start charging for checked bags a couple years ago. They're just another budget airline now.

We got about 4" of snow here. Not too bad plus it's supposed to be mild this week. It will be gone quickly.

Tomorrow's my booking day. For the 1st part of the trip anyway. I've been stalking availability over the past few days. I changed my mind again about how I'm going to book. :joker: Decided to keep things simple & hope for the best. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be booking the 1st 3 nights on one membership then I'll book the last 4 on the 23rd on the other membership. All at VWL then I'll link them. That's my plan anyway. Fingers crossed it works out.

We're going 3/3.

Hi Corinne! :wave2: Sorry you're having trouble with JB. I was sad to see them go the way of so many other airlines now & add that basic fare. They used to be one of my favorite airlines. It's been downhill since they decided to start charging for checked bags a couple years ago. They're just another budget airline now.

We got about 4" of snow here. Not too bad plus it's supposed to be mild this week. It will be gone quickly.

Tomorrow's my booking day. For the 1st part of the trip anyway. I've been stalking availability over the past few days. I changed my mind again about how I'm going to book. :joker: Decided to keep things simple & hope for the best. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be booking the 1st 3 nights on one membership then I'll book the last 4 on the 23rd on the other membership. All at VWL then I'll link them. That's my plan anyway. Fingers crossed it works out.
Hi Julie! We’ve missed you! Yea, I’m sooooo disappointed in JetBlue! Hope your trip planning is smooth, and you get what you’re looking for!

I should keep up with these things, but does anyone have an email contact for both WL management and WDW at large? I failed to take the surveys they sent in a timely manner, and now they've expired. I would like to pass along a few observations from our trip in December. Thanks, and enjoy your Sunday!

Sleepy...the one email I consistently see mentioned is dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com. Evidently, they are pretty responsive and will share comments with the resort management.

WildernessDad has an App? Is it available in the App Store?
Yes, its called DVC Planner. Its a great tool as it helps in a quick pinch to see how many points would be needed for stay, how many days out a trip will be, shows your 180, 90 and 60 day marks, etc. I find it to be very useful and and user friendly too. You know how slow the DVC website can be, this is lots faster.

Hi Groupies!

Hope all is well! Work has been insane and I have to say I spend far too much time on the JetBlue site trying to book airfare to Sarasota for a trip (hopefully) in March and to MCO in May. I booked a few days in early May at BWV for F & G, and the plan is to drive to Sarasota for a few days after that.

JetBlue has changed their booking categories which has proven to be quite a challenge for me and rather frustrating.

Same here. I have a ton of points to use up with them for which I am looking for alternative uses.

My local airport only runs 2 direct flights to MCO a day: once around dawn, and once in the evening. If a flight doesn't fill up they'll cancel it and move everyone to the other flight. I think JB constantly cancelling my 4pm flights and moving them to 7am did me in. I am not a morning person, LOL.

...Or, is the reason I'm a little soured on them due to that time they had security details holding rifles in the gate area at MCO?

Last edited:
Hi Groupies!

Hey Corinne!
We recently have resorted to flying on a permanent basis as driving 10-11 hrs each way has become a nightmare for us. On the occasion we would fly down through the years on a last minute trip, or go visit friends in the Orlando area, we would use Allegiant out of Greensboro, NC to Sanford, FL. It was great as we could pack enough in our carryons to get us by. But over time, we realized longer trips, we needed more, Allegiant would charge $50 per suitcase which is no biggie, but then we are limited to Thurs or Sun flights, only 1 each way.

So we decided to bite the bullet, go with a bigger carrier, Southwest, that will allow us 2 bags free each way, more than the 3 of us need, more flexibility throughout the day with lots of choices of flights, usually 3 each way non stop. Plus, we get Magical Express. Its been pretty hassle free so far. It costs a few more dollars than the budget airlines(actually SW may still be in the "budget air" category)but it weighs out with the flexibility and the bags free, at least for us. We have drive to Raleigh, maybe an hour on a good day from us, but again, no biggie.

One other thing, if you decide to change days(which is great for us because we are constantly adding days on)they dont charge you for the change. If flights go up, you pay the difference, if flights go down, they will point money into your acct. for a year.

Jimmy - I have always planned that when I retire, and am not so time limited, I would stop flying and start driving to The World. I would take a few days, stop a number of times to see stuff I have never had the time to see, stop at your place for a couple of weeks, arrive in The World for a leisurely stay, parking my car in Wilderness Dad's driveway, then returning home another way, taking a few days, stopping a number of times to see stuff I have never had the time to see, and of course stopping at your place for a couple of weeks, and finally head home. But you have caused me to reconsider with your comments about what a "Nightmare" it is to drive, just from your place. With retirement just a few months away, I now have a dilemma to resolve.

Well we couldn't do it. We couldn't stay away from our lodge any longer! We originally planned on 8 nights at our second home resort - Vero Beach. We love Vero but normally a few nights stay is enough for us since there really isn't a lot going on there. So after a bit of discussion last night Ian suggested we do a split stay. We are now booked into a one bedroom at Copper Creek ( best of both worlds - still at the lodge but we get to try something new) for 6 nights May 31-June 6. Then on the 6th we drive down to Vero Beach for 3 more nights in a one bedroom there.

The very best part - as of right now it will be all four of us. Our youngest (26) said yes when we asked her to come. Last year she bailed to go on tour (dancing) with the band she is part of. I am so happy and excited.

We are going HOME! :dance3::banana::dance3::banana:

At 35 days out for our first stay at the Lodge(and first as DVC Copper Creek members)
Seeing folks unhappy about the current temps in the Orlando area, and thinking to myself 40° and sunny would be a huge improvement for me.
This will be our longest trip ever at 8 days, and managed to get moonlight magic tickets for both AK and MK during our stay.
Crowd calendars look a bit busier than this same time the last couple of years. While I'm sure my 11 yo son will be ready to go, go, go. I'm looking forward to some down time at the resort. Can't wait to grab a drink from Geyser point and watch the electric water pagent go by. Haven't seen it since I was a kid in the early 80's.

At 35 days out for our first stay at the Lodge(and first as DVC Copper Creek members)
Seeing folks unhappy about the current temps in the Orlando area, and thinking to myself 40° and sunny would be a huge improvement for me.
This will be our longest trip ever at 8 days, and managed to get moonlight magic tickets for both AK and MK during our stay.
Crowd calendars look a bit busier than this same time the last couple of years. While I'm sure my 11 yo son will be ready to go, go, go. I'm looking forward to some down time at the resort.

Sachilles...welcome to our little corner of the internet. And congratulations on your Copper Creek (CCV) membership! And as you know, the Lodge is such a great place for some rest & relaxation away from the parks and crowds.

Temperatures during the winter at WDW are always iffy. We've been in December/January when it was 70 degrees, and also when the high was in the low 40's. As long as it's not raining, it really doesn't matter to us. Just look at the 10 day forecast for Orlando right before your trip, and adjust your packing accordingly! Or if you're driving, just pack for all sorts of weather. :)

That's awesome that you snagged two Moonlight Magic events during one stay. I'm sure you will have a great time, and it should allow you to cover any attractions that you otherwise would have missed in those parks.

Can't wait to grab a drink from Geyser point and watch the electric water pagent go by. Haven't seen it since I was a kid in the early 80's.

EWP hasn't changed, and GP is a great place to view it from. have an awesome trip!

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not worried about the weather one little bit. We've been when its cold, we've been when its wet or even both. As long as we dress for it we'll have fun in any conditions. I'm certain the weather will be better than in Vermont during that same time.

This is probably as good a place as any.
With the pedestrian swing bring going up between GF and MK, think there will be any hope of something from WL to the MK(or Contemporary)?
It appears there is already a sidewalk in the tunnel on World Drive. That sidewalk starts a modest 120 yards from the cabins walking path.
I know World Drive is a busy road and would probably require a pedestrian bridge to cross it.
With Reflections in the building phase, I feel like the boat service may be straining it's capacity. A pedestrian path seems like low cost alternative, especially if it can be made to service the TTC.

Last edited:
This is probably as good a place as any.
With the pedestrian swing bring going up between GF and MK, think there will be any hope of something from WL to the MK(or Contemporary)?
It appears there is already a sidewalk in the tunnel on World Drive. That sidewalk starts a modes 120 yards from the cabins walking bath.
I know World Drive is a busy road and would probably require a pedestrian bridge to cross it.
With Reflections in the building phase, I feel like the boat service may be straining it's capacity. A pedestrian path seems like low cost alternative, especially if it can be made to service the TTC.
That would be awesome!

Well we couldn't do it. We couldn't stay away from our lodge any longer! We originally planned on 8 nights at our second home resort - Vero Beach. We love Vero but normally a few nights stay is enough for us since there really isn't a lot going on there. So after a bit of discussion last night Ian suggested we do a split stay. We are now booked into a one bedroom at Copper Creek ( best of both worlds - still at the lodge but we get to try something new) for 6 nights May 31-June 6. Then on the 6th we drive down to Vero Beach for 3 more nights in a one bedroom there.

The very best part - as of right now it will be all four of us. Our youngest (26) said yes when we asked her to come. Last year she bailed to go on tour (dancing) with the band she is part of. I am so happy and excited.

We are going HOME! :dance3::banana::dance3::banana:
Congrats, Jen! I believe you'll enjoy CC, though we still like the feel of VWL a little better (not including the Linen Overlook Room we just had in December). I think a split stay is the best course of action; we, too, don't consider VB more than a 2-3 day thing.

Crowd calendars look a bit busier than this same time the last couple of years. While I'm sure my 11 yo son will be ready to go, go, go. I'm looking forward to some down time at the resort. Can't wait to grab a drink from Geyser point and watch the electric water pagent go by. Haven't seen it since I was a kid in the early 80's.
:welcome: Glad to hear you're headed to our little bit of heaven at the World. You won't be disappointed by CC or the beauty of the Lodge itself. While there have been some changes over the past several years that haven't pleased me, it's still the most relaxing resort on property, at least to us. If you'd like me to add you to Page 1, just let me know (that's our info and trip page). If those current temps don't bother you, I'm guessing you're up in the midwest or perhaps the northeast (my daughter goes to Bates, so I know it's been nasty up there of late). As for the walkway, while anything is possible, I just don't see Disney doing that anytime soon. Then again, I didn't expect the pedestrian walkway to be completed, either, nor another resort built between FW and WL.

Jimmy - I have always planned that when I retire, and am not so time limited, I would stop flying and start driving to The World. I would take a few days, stop a number of times to see stuff I have never had the time to see, stop at your place for a couple of weeks, arrive in The World for a leisurely stay, parking my car in Wilderness Dad's driveway, then returning home another way, taking a few days, stopping a number of times to see stuff I have never had the time to see, and of course stopping at your place for a couple of weeks, and finally head home. But you have caused me to reconsider with your comments about what a "Nightmare" it is to drive, just from your place. With retirement just a few months away, I now have a dilemma to resolve.
Its a good dilemma to have IMO :teeth:

You know you and Di are more than welcome anytime to our humble abode!

I do like the idea of seeing the sites along the way, and I love taking the road less traveled. I do that here at home, get made fun of by my younger, more energetic friends/family. But I like the slogan "Arrive Alive":tilt: I have often thought what a nice trip it would be to drive from here out West, see the sites of the USA along the way. But I may fly out West instead and pick 2-3 places that would be of interest with less time on the road, maybe Adv. by Disney style. Thats the downside of taking to the air.

I have shared a couple times our road adventures with near misses and crazy weather issues, so I won't bore you fine folks again with all that. I can say most of the trips were great, especially in my younger days, but recently, too many stand out moments I re-live in my head, and I start looking at SW sight as Im booking my DVC room.

I think times have changed though. Texting and distracted driving are the norm, rather than the rare. You remember the days seeing someone reading the paper behind the wheel as they drove to work. Or the occasional guy shaving, or lady putting on makeup. But you seldom hear of accidents being caused by those actions. Those were rare but did happen. Now, every other car has a driver on his/her phone. And the deadly accidents are mounting.

I dont mean to be a downer on the subject, buts its more of the reality for me. I have seen Nascar races with less action than I see on our stretch of a major interstate that runs by our house, I-40. It runs from NC to Calif. I avoid it! Even when the road less traveled takes me 15 mins longer!!

I just hope my pilot isn't on their phone on takeoff or landing:scared:

With a walkway from The Lodge to MK in mind, years ago I suggested in this thread that it would be easy to have a new Monorail station for The Lodge, with a walkway to it. Most thought I was talking about having that thing enter into our beautiful lobby, ruining the wonderful atmosphere it has, and ranted on about what a stupid idea it was. But I was referring to just making a station located out on the current path it takes as it passes by The Lodge property. Now with the idea of a walkway to the MK, why not a station that takes you to the current Monorail track. Seems like an extension from the new cabin walkway to it would certainly be less of a complicated design in order to maximize safety, and ease future traffic on the Boats and Buses. But . . . . never mind.:confused3

With a walkway from The Lodge to MK in mind, years ago I suggested in this thread that it would be easy to have a new Monorail station for The Lodge, with a walkway to it. Most thought I was talking about having that thing enter into our beautiful lobby, ruining the wonderful atmosphere it has, and ranted on about what a stupid idea it was. But I was referring to just making a station located out on the current path it takes as it passes by The Lodge property. Now with the idea of a walkway to the MK, why not a station that takes you to the current Monorail track. Seems like an extension from the new cabin walkway to it would certainly be less of a complicated design in order to maximize safety, and ease future traffic on the Boats and Buses. But . . . . never mind.:confused3
In keeping with the Lodge and Carolwood Vibe - how about a monorail with a train overlay?

I do like the idea of the monorail station, it could integrate a pedestrian bridge in the process. I'm not sure it's likely to happen unless you see further commitment to the monorail.
IF they are going to add mechanical transport, I think the logical next step might the skyliner that serves the fort, Reflections WL, TTC and front of the park. More bang for the buck. The alternate from the same company Dopplemeyer might be a Funicular that looks like an old steam train similar to Hogwarts.
The key is the bottleneck where World drive goes under the seven seas lagoon. If you go over it, the river boat needs to be able to get under it on occasion, or you have to tunnel under the lagoon. Anything to reduce bus traffic is a bonus in my book.
I don't think it will be a huge priority, and find it extremely interesting they finally put the swing bridge in between the GF and MK. It strikes me as being the result of a bigger plan that has not been made public yet. The undeveloped space along that path is prime real estate and I wonder if they are finally preparing to do something about it. The other thought is that perhaps they anticipate the monorail being out of service for an extended period. In a vacuum, it's a pretty curious move.

I do like the idea of the monorail station, it could integrate a pedestrian bridge in the process. I'm not sure it's likely to happen unless you see further commitment to the monorail.
IF they are going to add mechanical transport, I think the logical next step might the skyliner that serves the fort, Reflections WL, TTC and front of the park. More bang for the buck. The alternate from the same company Dopplemeyer might be a Funicular that looks like an old steam train similar to Hogwarts.
The key is the bottleneck where World drive goes under the seven seas lagoon. If you go over it, the river boat needs to be able to get under it on occasion, or you have to tunnel under the lagoon. Anything to reduce bus traffic is a bonus in my book.
I don't think it will be a huge priority, and find it extremely interesting they finally put the swing bridge in between the GF and MK. It strikes me as being the result of a bigger plan that has not been made public yet. The undeveloped space along that path is prime real estate and I wonder if they are finally preparing to do something about it. The other thought is that perhaps they anticipate the monorail being out of service for an extended period. In a vacuum, it's a pretty curious move.
My theory is the walkway to the GF/Poly was put in so they can remove the boat service to Poly/GF from MK. In order to bring Reflections online they need to introduce boats that will exclusive to Reflections. WL already has 2 dedicated boats (1 big and 1 small) and FW has 2 dedicated boats (2 big or 1 big and 1 small). They can’t really increase FW or WL to more than 2 boats as it would end up being inefficient since one boat would be always waiting at the dock. So I suspect the Gold launch for for Poly/GF becomes the dock at MK for the Reflection boat which gets 1 big and 1 small (so all 3 resorts run that).

Then. I strongly suspect a walkway to remain between FW and WL directly connecting to the water front of Reflections. It makes little sense not to utilize what they already have in terms of the bike trail. Would even be nicer if they reopen the nature trail along the lake with a paved pathway but I think that’s unlikely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter