VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I’m not a fan of the Skyway - rode in Dec on a breezy day (not windy) and experienced motion sickness! Also it was freezing in the cabin - even with the window vents closed...

My theory is the walkway to the GF/Poly was put in so they can remove the boat service to Poly/GF from MK. In order to bring Reflections online they need to introduce boats that will exclusive to Reflections. WL already has 2 dedicated boats (1 big and 1 small) and FW has 2 dedicated boats (2 big or 1 big and 1 small). They can’t really increase FW or WL to more than 2 boats as it would end up being inefficient since one boat would be always waiting at the dock. So I suspect the Gold launch for for Poly/GF becomes the dock at MK for the Reflection boat which gets 1 big and 1 small (so all 3 resorts run that).

Then. I strongly suspect a walkway to remain between FW and WL directly connecting to the water front of Reflections. It makes little sense not to utilize what they already have in terms of the bike trail. Would even be nicer if they reopen the nature trail along the lake with a paved pathway but I think that’s unlikely.
I'm seen you post this idea in the other thread. It has very sound logic. The thing that is hard for me to come to terms with is Disney terminating a form of transport at two of its most popular cash and DVC resorts. Replace it with something sure, but just taking it away, and then trying to sell the walkway seems like they are asking for a customer service nightmare. Though the Poly has the TTC ferry landing.

One thing we do know is that Disney and DVC will do what works in their best interest - usually that works out as a positive for us as well - but not always...

With the pedestrian swing bring going up between GF and MK, think there will be any hope of something from WL to the MK(or Contemporary)?
It appears there is already a sidewalk in the tunnel on World Drive. That sidewalk starts a modest 120 yards from the cabins walking path.
I know World Drive is a busy road and would probably require a pedestrian bridge to cross it.
With Reflections in the building phase, I feel like the boat service may be straining it's capacity. A pedestrian path seems like low cost alternative, especially if it can be made to service the TTC.

With a walkway from The Lodge to MK in mind, years ago I suggested in this thread that it would be easy to have a new Monorail station for The Lodge, with a walkway to it. ..... Seems like an extension from the new cabin walkway to it would certainly be less of a complicated design in order to maximize safety, and ease future traffic on the Boats and Buses. But . . . . never mind.:confused3

I love both of these ideas, but I think at this point it is just wishful thinking. If Disney were going to invest in a walking bridge or monorail station, I think it would have done so prior to the sales of Copper Creek Villas when they were revamping the Lodge grounds. But at this point, I don't see Disney as having any incentive to put in additional amenities for the Lodge campus.

My theory is the walkway to the GF/Poly was put in so they can remove the boat service to Poly/GF from MK.

I tend to like theories that have a benefit to Disney, so this could make sense, as well as your comments about Reflections, etc. I have to agree that I have wondered what the Bay Lake boat situation would be like if they add Reflections to the traffic mix. Your theory could make a lot of sense for Disney and the guests...so don't count on it happening! :)

I guess I've been living under a rock. I admit I don't keep up as much with Disney updates anymore. Don't really sell it anymore & I'm always staying at either BCV, BLT, or VWL so I don't feel the need to worry about much else. I didn't know they were building a walkway from GF to MK. Finally! :woohoo: That's great news. I did see a lot of construction in that area in Dec, but didn't pay too much attention. Construction is just a way of life down there now. There's a construction zone everywhere. Don't even get me started on Epcot. :headache:

Phase one of my Dec. booking plan was successful. Fingers crossed for tomorrow to complete phase two. I chose a 2 BR vs a 2 BR lockoff. Hope that wasn't a mistake. I have a feeling the lock off is the easier room to book, but I'd rather have dedicated. Will report back tomorrow!

@Dizny Dad how's Di doing?

The pathway is funny. For years folks have just sort of come to grips that it would never happen, and that crossing that canal was an issue with the river boat and the EWP. It made sense, it would cost money, why would Disney do it?
So certainly, many are waiting see what the return on the investment is. Reduced boat traffic to re-allocate to Reflections is plausible, along with development along the trail. Eager to see what they do, and how it will all intertwine with WL.

Question for those of you who have stayed at Copper Creek..... Are the studio ONLY on the 1st and 2nd floor? A friend (DVC - but does not own at CC or BR) went for a short stay and requested a studio on 3rd floor or higher. She was told at check in they were only on the 1st and 2nd floors. I checked a room location map and it didn't show many dedicated studios at all - but there was at least one on each floor.

I'm not concerned for us - we booked at one bedroom. Just curious if she was given the correct information.

Question for those of you who have stayed at Copper Creek..... Are the studio ONLY on the 1st and 2nd floor? A friend (DVC - but does not own at CC or BR) went for a short stay and requested a studio on 3rd floor or higher. She was told at check in they were only on the 1st and 2nd floors. I checked a room location map and it didn't show many dedicated studios at all - but there was at least one on each floor.

I'm not concerned for us - we booked at one bedroom. Just curious if she was given the correct information.
"Deluxe Studio"
Floor 1: 1 Dedicated Alternate Studio, 1 Lockoff Alternate Studio, 28 Dedicated Studios, 1 Lockoff Studio
Floor 2-7: 1 Lockoff Alternate Studio per Floor
Total Rooms: 37 Studios (29 Dedicated, 8 Lockoff)

"Deluxe Studio with WalkIn Shower"
Floor 1: 0
Floor 2: 4 Lockoff, 3 Dedicated
Floor 3: 5 Lockoff, 2 Dedicated
Floor 4: 6 Lockoff (one of which is open to lobby, believe this is a "bear face" room), 2 Dedicated
Floor 5: 6 Lockoff (one of which is open to lobby, believe this is a "bear face" room), 2 Dedicated
Floor 6: 5 Lockoff, 3 Dedicated
Floor 7: 2 Lockoff, 1 Dedicated
Total Rooms: 41 Studios (13 Dedicated, 28 Lockoff)

So it depends on which room type was reserved on which floor they be on. "Deluxe Studio" highly likely on the ground floor, Floor 1, (Lobby is Floor 2 of course). "Deluxe Studio with WalkIn Shower" guarantees Floor 2-7 with equal-ish odds across all floors.

"Deluxe Studio"
Floor 1: 1 Dedicated Alternate Studio, 1 Lockoff Alternate Studio, 28 Dedicated Studios, 1 Lockoff Studio
Floor 2-7: 1 Lockoff Alternate Studio per Floor
Total Rooms: 37 Studios (29 Dedicated, 8 Lockoff)

"Deluxe Studio with WalkIn Shower"
Floor 1: 0
Floor 2: 4 Lockoff, 3 Dedicated
Floor 3: 5 Lockoff, 2 Dedicated
Floor 4: 6 Lockoff (one of which is open to lobby, believe this is a "bear face" room), 2 Dedicated
Floor 5: 6 Lockoff (one of which is open to lobby, believe this is a "bear face" room), 2 Dedicated
Floor 6: 5 Lockoff, 3 Dedicated
Floor 7: 2 Lockoff, 1 Dedicated
Total Rooms: 41 Studios (13 Dedicated, 28 Lockoff)

So it depends on which room type was reserved on which floor they be on. "Deluxe Studio" highly likely on the ground floor, Floor 1, (Lobby is Floor 2 of course). "Deluxe Studio with WalkIn Shower" guarantees Floor 2-7 with equal-ish odds across all floors.
Thanks for this! I just booked a studio with a walk on shower for our post 4th of July trip. It replaced two nights at VB.

I'm seen you post this idea in the other thread. It has very sound logic. The thing that is hard for me to come to terms with is Disney terminating a form of transport at two of its most popular cash and DVC resorts. Replace it with something sure, but just taking it away, and then trying to sell the walkway seems like they are asking for a customer service nightmare. Though the Poly has the TTC ferry landing.

They used to have boat service from CR to MK. It was eventually discontinued - maybe 5-7 years ago. The monorail and the walkway were always there and that's what they finally decided was good enough.

Busy thread yesterday! YET, here we are today only a half dozen spots or so from the fold! Odd how we can go a whole month and never move more than a few spots, then some weeks or even days we get shuttled to the fold and beyond. Sounds as though a lot of trips being planned--winter is getting to everyone, eh?

We're a little over a month away from our own trip, and Luv just discovered today that the tier system at DHS has changed, along with the fact Smugglers' Run is now open to FPs. She redid our FPs for the first week of March just this morning and managed to snag RnR, Smugglers', TSM, and even Slinky Dog. Run, don't walk, to your nearest MDE!

Success! I was worried for nothing. Glad I didn't bother to go to the trouble of transferring points. We're now booked on 2 separate, but linked reservations for 12/20-27 in a dedicated 2 BR. Yay! :woohoo: I did wipe out all but 6 of my VWL points for '20 & '21, but that's ok. I know we won't do another Christmas trip in 2021 & all my trips are now booked for this year.

I saw that heads up in an email this morning Sly. Thought about updating mine for the end of Feb/early March trip, but then remembered I'm saving all of those rides to do as a family. It will be more fun that way.

Well, doing my bit to help keep us on page 1.

So, a quick report on Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach. The Space Center was very impressive, if you haven’t been in a long time it is definitely worth a day trip.DA420969-5837-4B58-8F5C-18FEAB6B9A37.jpeg71611900-443D-4EAF-BF20-325879472C7D.jpeg
We enjoyed Cocoa Beach as well. Had gusts up to 35 MPH the first two days but it was warm. Got to see the Falcon 9 rocket launch from the beach on Sunday, spectacular sight! View from our Balcony:AEB99CEA-465F-4ABA-983D-A50251CF7F9F.jpeg
View of the Rocket, upper left hand corner:

BA87499C-D37C-4DBC-A73D-AF449E09BE3F.jpeg
Anyways, it was a nice little 4 day trip. One other thing we did that was unexpectedly great was the Brevard County Zoo. Surpassed all expectations.

OK, back to planning my next Lodge visit! Happy day Groupies!

Popping in to say I am officially joining the VWL family! We closed on our resale contract of 150 points this past Tuesday and couldn't be happier! Looking forward to making many wonderful memories at the Lodge!

Welcome Home Sus! Glad to have you!! :cool1:

Now don't be a stranger or lurker. It is always great to have a Lodge report, World stay story, or an opinion or two. So keep in touch, relax, and enjoy The Lodge!

Popping in to say I am officially joining the VWL family! We closed on our resale contract of 150 points this past Tuesday and couldn't be happier! Looking forward to making many wonderful memories at the Lodge!
:welcome: suse!! We're happy you popped in, and as Dad says, keep in touch! You've found a like-minded community of folks--Groupies--who have become one large, extended family. We love pictures, commentary, and just day-to-day thoughts. If you've nosed around in our thread for any length of time, I hope you've seen what a friendly bunch we are. I may be the biggest grump in this group ("may"--hahahaha!), but they've not thrown me out yet. VWL is home for many of us, though not all, but one thing we do have in common is a love of the Lodge. Not coincidentally, that's all we require for membership, so welcome to the Groupies!

Suse....very happy to hear your news...congratulations and ...

1.9 Welcome to our home.jpg

You got off to a great start with us simply by referring to the resort as VWL. Not many of us think that Boulder Ridge is an improvement in name.

Feel free to pull up a rocking chair here and sit by the virtual fireplace during these cold winter days. We have some other Canadian Groupies as well, and we love hearing others thoughts and stories about the Lodge! And of course, if you happen to share pictures of visits, that is always appreciated as well!
:)

Last edited:
Well, doing my bit to help keep us on page 1.

So, a quick report on Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach. The Space Center was very impressive, if you haven’t been in a long time it is definitely worth a day trip.
We enjoyed Cocoa Beach as well. Had gusts up to 35 MPH the first two days but it was warm. Got to see the Falcon 9 rocket launch from the beach on Sunday, spectacular sight!

Anyways, it was a nice little 4 day trip. One other thing we did that was unexpectedly great was the Brevard County Zoo. Surpassed all expectations.

OK, back to planning my next Lodge visit! Happy day Groupies!

Ron...thanks for the photo trip report on Kennedy Space Center and the beach. Looks like a fun trip and it was neat that you were able to see a launch. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and share your thoughts. We've never extended an Orlando trip with the Kennedy Space Center but maybe at some point we'll just have to do that! And we like zoos, so your comment about the Brevard County Zoo was much appreciated. :)

Ron...thanks for the photo trip report on Kennedy Space Center and the beach. Looks like a fun trip and it was neat that you were able to see a launch. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and share your thoughts. We've never extended an Orlando trip with the Kennedy Space Center but maybe at some point we'll just have to do that! And we like zoos, so your comment about the Brevard County Zoo was much appreciated. :)

Granny, since you liked hearing about the zoo, here’s a nugget. There was an enclosed bird area that my daughter and I went in. They give you food and instantly a bird was on my shoulder. Here’s a picture of my daughter...DC157C0B-AC22-4FFA-80D0-673A9586CC6D.jpeg
Don’t know why it’s sideways, it was taken the same as the others....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter