VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

So it doesn't really matter which one as long as you are at the WL. I have to try to sell the wife and kids on this one, as it is my favorite. They want to stay at the Bay Lake Tower.

There's some differences. You'll be in the main building with CCV or in the separate building if BRV. If you're thinking of studios the CCV sleep 4 - 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper sofa. At BRV the studio can sleep up to 5 - 1 queen bed, 1 double sleeper sofa and 1 bunk size murphy bed. CCV opened just a few years ago and has kind of a industrial rustic theme. BRV is a different theme and was actually scheduled to begin a refurb this year. We've had rooms in good shape there still but they were last refurbed a few years before CCV opened. Both still at WL resort but a few differences.

So it doesn't really matter which one as long as you are at the WL. I have to try to sell the wife and kids on this one, as it is my favorite. They want to stay at the Bay Lake Tower.
First, :welcome: to the Groupies (and you as well, andy!). We always enjoy new faces and voices to our band. As to the difference between Copper Creek and VWL (what Disney now calls Boulder Ridge), CC is newer and located in the original Wilderness Lodge building. The entire south wing of the once hotel-only rooms was converted to DVC rooms. Further, the new cabins also belong to CC. On the other hand, VWL is the building connected to the main Lodge by the covered walkway, and the rooms there, while not as new, are larger. Further, CC has Grand Villas and VWL does not. CC is in the actual hotel, and some people like that. VWL is mere moments away, and it tends to be quieter. VWL also has its own smaller lobby, two fireplaces, and nooks and crannies to just sit and relax. CC and VWL are equidistant to the bus stop. CC rooms are closer to the boats by maybe two minutes (the walk from VWL to the main lobby).

Does it matter "which one" when staying at WL? Not really. You're at the Lodge; you get all the same benefits of the location. We love BLT, too, as its location is wonderful. But, for relaxation, serenity, and theming, WL is a better resort. If you want better food and the easy walk to MK, then BLT wins. Hope this helps. Again, welcome!

hi!!! We're not DVC owners (one day...hopefully) but we scored a great deal on a confirmed DVC rental and are so excited to be staying at WL in a few weeks!! This group seems so friendly, I love the energy!

I do have a question, what floors can you see Bay Lake from? I was looking at photos of the room views from Touring Plans and it looks like the third floor is the lowest floor with a decent view of the lake, but I figured I'd ask here as well :)

hi!!! We're not DVC owners (one day...hopefully) but we scored a great deal on a confirmed DVC rental and are so excited to be staying at WL in a few weeks!! This group seems so friendly, I love the energy!

I do have a question, what floors can you see Bay Lake from? I was looking at photos of the room views from Touring Plans and it looks like the third floor is the lowest floor with a decent view of the lake, but I figured I'd ask here as well :)
Is the booking for CC or VWL (in case you can't tell, I'm unable to call it by the new name of BRV)? I'm not as familiar with room locations in CC, but when we last stayed there, the picture below was the view from our 4th or 5th floor room that was located back toward the main lobby. As you can see, there wasn't a lot of the lake visible, though it's certainly a pretty view, nonetheless. I'm fairly certain that rooms closer in the Geyser Point direction would have better views.

As for VWL, there are two major locations for rooms, lake view and woods view. As you look at the picture (sorry for it being turned sideways), the sidewalk that goes up toward all the cabins would be the lake view side. To the right of the turret-looking structure would be the woods view. You can request either, but as with all Disney resort requests, what you request and what you actually get may be totally different. Just ask KAT. @KAT4DISNEY pirate: :duck:The woods view rooms are actually quite tranquil, generally quieter than the lake view rooms; however, few would argue that it's a superior view to being able to look out over the lake and the cabins.

In either case--CC or VWL--as a general rule, yes, 3rd floor and above will provide superior views of the lake. Again, just be aware that a request for a certain room location isn't a guarantee. Still, I think you will love whatever room you get.

I do have some words of warning, though. Be prepared. Oh, gosh, how do I put this and not scare you away? The Lodge is a magical place, and once you've tasted its elixir of serenity wrapped up in ambiance surrounded by beauty with a touch or two of majestic-ness tossed in, you may acquire a thirst for more trips back to the Lodge. Beyond what you do at the parks, take in the sights, smells, and sounds of our beloved home: the lushness of the landscaping, the haunting music, the majestic architecture, the flickering lanterns, the chirruping crickets, the sound of the boat horns, and more. One of our favorite things to do is to go over to the VWL building (it's open to all guests, too), and sit in a rocker in front of one of their two smaller fireplaces. My favorite sits in the small lobby to the right after you walk in. It's a little nook and is a great place to just relax with a drink in hand. On the other side of the fireplace, you will find the second fireplace, and it has space for more chairs in case your family wishes to sit there together. Perhaps my most cherished memories come from walking around the WL grounds at night listening to the music of Aaron Copland, often intermingled with beautiful Native American melodies, as well as some western movie themes ("Silverado," "The Big Country," "Dances with Wolves," et. al.). There is simply something darn near mystical and restorative about the Lodge, and those "it" factors are why I miss it and long to go back.

Best wishes for a superb trip, and keep us updated with your progress, as well as the trip itself. We always leave the light on 'round here, so if any more questions pop up, we'll be glad to help. If you have specific questions for Copper Creek that we can't answer, there is a separate thread for owners and enthusiasts who I'm sure would be more than happy to help out. Cheers!

Last edited:

Andy,
Sleepy is so right about this. So many people fly about their days at WDW, bent on getting to a park, they miss the boat on the wonderful, subtle details that make WL stand head and shoulders above the other WDW resorts, IMO. Took me a couple trips to realize it. But once I did, boy, did I ever fall head over heels in love(with a building, of all things)

Is the booking for CC or VWL (in case you can't tell, I'm unable to call it by the new name of BRV)? I'm not as familiar with room locations in CC, but when we last stayed there, this was the view from our 4th our 5th floor room that was located back toward the main lobby. As you can see, there wasn't a lot of the lake visible, though it's certainly a pretty view, nonetheless. I'm fairly certain that rooms closer in the Geyser Point direction would have better views.

As for VWL, there are two major locations for rooms, lake view and woods view. As you look at the picture below (sorry for it being turned sideways), the sidewalk that goes up toward all the cabins would be the lake view side. To the right of the turret-looking structure would be the woods view. You can request either, but as with all Disney resort requests, what you request and what you actually may get can be totally different. Just ask KAT. @KAT4DISNEY pirate: :duck:The woods view rooms are actually quite tranquil, generally quieter than the lake view rooms; however, few would argue that it's a superior view to being able to look out over the lake and the cabins.

In either case--CC or VWL--as a general rule, yes, 3rd floor and above will provide superior views of the lake. Again, just be aware that a request for a certain room location isn't a guarantee. Still, I think you will love whatever room you get.

I do have some words of warning, though. Be prepared. Oh, gosh, how do I put this and not scare you away? The Lodge is a magical place, and once you've tasted its elixir of serenity wrapped up in ambiance surrounded by beauty with a touch or two of majestic-ness tossed in, you may acquire a thirst for more trips back to the Lodge. Beyond what you do at the parks, take in the sights, smells, and sounds of our beloved home: the lushness of the landscaping, the haunting music, the majestic architecture, the flickering lanterns, the chirruping of crickets, the sound of the boat horns, and more. One of our favorite things to do is to go over to the VWL building (it's open to all guests, too), and sit in a rocker in front of one of their two smaller fireplaces. My favorite sits right in the small lobby to the right after you walk in. It's a little nook and is a great place to just sit and relax with a drink in hand. On the other side of the fireplace sits the second one, and it has space for more chairs in case your family wishes to sit there together. Perhaps my most cherished memories come from walking around the WL grounds at night listening to the music of Aaron Copland, often intermingled with beautiful Native American melodies, as well as some western movie themes ("Silverado," "The Big Country," "Dances with Wolves," et. al.). There is simply something darn near mystical and restorative about the Lodge, and those "it" factors are why I miss it and long to go back.

Best wishes for a superb trip, and keep us updated with your progress, as well as the trip itself. We always leave the light on 'round here, so if any more questions pop up, we'll be glad to help. If you have specific questions for Copper Creek that we can't answer, there is a separate thread for owners and enthusiasts who I'm sure would be more than happy to help out. Cheers!

View attachment 515936
Andy,
Sleepy is so right about this. So many people fly about their days at WDW, bent on getting to a park, they miss the boat on the wonderful, subtle details that make WL stand head and shoulders above the other WDW resorts, IMO. Took me a couple trips to realize it. But once I did, boy, did I ever fall head over heels in love(with a building, of all things)
First off, we’re staying at BRV (or should I say VWL :thumbsup2)! I requested a room on the lake side so here’s hoping it’s fulfilled! Secondly, this makes me even more excited!! We actually are planning to take a resort only day in the middle of our trip, and aside from our Magic Kingdom day, we probably won’t be spending the full day in the parks. I’m just beyond excited to just soak up the atmosphere of the resort. Any other must dos at the resort? We’re looking forward to a meal or two at Geyser Point, spending some time at the pool, and just walking around the resort.

First off, we’re staying at BRV (or should I say VWL :thumbsup2)! I requested a room on the lake side so here’s hoping it’s fulfilled! Secondly, this makes me even more excited!! We actually are planning to take a resort only day in the middle of our trip, and aside from our Magic Kingdom day, we probably won’t be spending the full day in the parks. I’m just beyond excited to just soak up the atmosphere of the resort. Any other must dos at the resort? We’re looking forward to a meal or two at Geyser Point, spending some time at the pool, and just walking around the resort.
Make sure you explore all the nooks and crannies. When you walk around the main building you will little sitting areas on the upper floors and things like that. Also make sure to check out the Native American things they have on display. Make sure to rub Humphreys nose! That is a WL tradition. He is the bear at the bottom of the Mickey Mouse totem pole. Also Whispering Canyon is a fun place to eat! Just make sure to ask for some ketchup.
Hey groupies are they still doing the flag family and the tour in VWL? My brain just won't let me remember the name of the tour. LOL

Make sure you explore all the nooks and crannies. When you walk around the main building you will little sitting areas on the upper floors and things like that. Also make sure to check out the Native American things they have on display. Make sure to rub Humphreys nose! That is a WL tradition. He is the bear at the bottom of the Mickey Mouse totem pole. Also Whispering Canyon is a fun place to eat! Just make sure to ask for some ketchup.
Hey groupies are they still doing the flag family and the tour in VWL? My brain just won't let me remember the name of the tour. LOL
This is what I love about WL/BR... all the cozy places to sit in peace and get away from what (usually) is the Disney crowd level. Jambo and Kidani have this too but to a much lesser extent. Their design is more efficient for building and while these nooks exist, they're just areas where there's an elevator or where 2 hallways connect. To fill them with ambience Disney turned to Joe, who did a very good job considering they are completely without feeling otherwise (no special flooring or walls). Here, in WL there is no need for that as the log cabin feel permeates the environment.

Last edited:
Whats your favorite lounge in a resort and a park and why?

There are a few bars/lounges I have yet to experience, including GPt, so I am sticking with TL until I either fall in love with GPt or have a bad experience at TL.
As far as the parks are concerned, I still haven't experienced the tequila bar in Mexico or the wine place in Italy. But I have been to the Nomad Lounge three times and I love it!

I do have some words of warning, though. Be prepared. Oh, gosh, how do I put this and not scare you away? The Lodge is a magical place, and once you've tasted its elixir of serenity wrapped up in ambiance surrounded by beauty with a touch or two of majestic-ness tossed in, you may acquire a thirst for more trips back to the Lodge. Beyond what you do at the parks, take in the sights, smells, and sounds of our beloved home: the lushness of the landscaping, the haunting music, the majestic architecture, the flickering lanterns, the chirruping crickets, the sound of the boat horns, and more. One of our favorite things to do is to go over to the VWL building (it's open to all guests, too), and sit in a rocker in front of one of their two smaller fireplaces. My favorite sits in the small lobby to the right after you walk in. It's a little nook and is a great place to just relax with a drink in hand. On the other side of the fireplace, you will find the second fireplace, and it has space for more chairs in case your family wishes to sit there together. Perhaps my most cherished memories come from walking around the WL grounds at night listening to the music of Aaron Copland, often intermingled with beautiful Native American melodies, as well as some western movie themes ("Silverado," "The Big Country," "Dances with Wolves," et. al.). There is simply something darn near mystical and restorative about the Lodge, and those "it" factors are why I miss it and long to go back.

Perfect, just perfect.
In the early 90's I had similar feelings about the Polynesian: the music, the torch-lit pathways at night, the beautiful landscaping, especially the flowers, the lobby before they ruined it, the beach, and the sense of being somewhere other than a theme park hotel. To be honest, our motivation for our first stay at WL was economical. We were priced out of the Polynesian but still wanted MK area and a deluxe. Needless to say, we fell in love and discover more to love with every visit.

. My favorite sits in the small lobby to the right after you walk in. It's a little nook and is a great place to just relax with a drink in hand.

That is my favorite place to sit when we stay in a studio and need to do laundry. I bring a book and sit back and relax - and I am close enough to the laundry room to get there without having to go far. SOOO relaxing.

When you're hanging around the Lodge for your resort day, here are a few items I'd do.
- On the hour throughout the day, the geyser out past the main pool goes off, imitating the Old Faithful geyser at Yellowstone National Park. It begins to rumble a minute or two before it begins to gurgle and spurt water in the air, and then within another minute the water is towering above the landscaping. A small event to be sure but fun, nonetheless.
- Be sure to take the boat to MK, too. Obviously, you can do it on the day you hit that park. Something about skimming around the corner by CR and seeing Cinderella's castle off to your right stirs the heart.
- Walk the entire pathway that goes by the cabins. The lush landscaping and beauty of the cabins are a sight unto themselves. Now, Groupies on here know that I'm not the biggest fan of the cabins in the sense that when they went in, some of my favorite parts of the old WL/VWL complex went away. However, even I will admit that the cabins and the surrounding flora are lovely.
- In addition to rubbing Humphrey's nose, another noisier tradition is to ring the bell outside the arcade which itself sits just outside the side entrance to the Lodge leading to the VWL building. If you're walking around anywhere near that area, you'll likely hear someone whack at it.
- If you have young kids, make sure they pay attention to the sidewalks around the Lodge. They might be able to track some "wild" animals.
- Finally, grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet from the front desk and go on a hunt for them. Now, I assume this sheet is still available--given the current virus situation I'm just not sure. But, it's an activity that allows for social distancing, so I don't know why it wouldn't be available.

Sadly, the flag family selection and history tour (or whatever the term is) are no longer available. Those had ended before the COVID pandemic. Still, there are many small things to take in at the Lounge, and at the end of your day, Geyser Point is a nice spot to rest and fuel up with food and drinks. . .and the view from GP is darn good. Enjoy!

Its pouring rain outside, you have 2 days left in your vacation at WDW. Do you go hit that park, because it will be empty, or, do you hang out at the Lodge? And why?
My answer is, hang back at the Lodge. I will never forget, one of the best days ever, it poured rain, buckets of rain. So we made an exec decision, dont go to the park. We stayed in, read a book, kids watched Disney channel, we ate an unexpected lunch at WCC, grabbed a seat at the Carolwood Pacific room and played a few rousing games of checkers. It was so peaceful. And alas, the skies filled with stars and we soaked in the ambiance of the outdoors portions of WL that eve. It was awesome, and one of the most memorable times at WDW that we still talk about to this day. Had to have been at least 13 years ago

When you're hanging around the Lodge for your resort day, here are a few items I'd do.
- On the hour throughout the day, the geyser out past the main pool goes off, imitating the Old Faithful geyser at Yellowstone National Park. It begins to rumble a minute or two before it begins to gurgle and spurt water in the air, and then within another minute the water is towering above the landscaping. A small event to be sure but fun, nonetheless.
- Be sure to take the boat to MK, too. Obviously, you can do it on the day you hit that park. Something about skimming around the corner by CR and seeing Cinderella's castle off to your right stirs the heart.
- Walk the entire pathway that goes by the cabins. The lush landscaping and beauty of the cabins are a sight unto themselves. Now, Groupies on here know that I'm not the biggest fan of the cabins in the sense that when they went in, some of my favorite parts of the old WL/VWL complex went away. However, even I will admit that the cabins and the surrounding flora are lovely.
- In addition to rubbing Humphrey's nose, another noisier tradition is to ring the bell outside the arcade which itself sits just outside the side entrance to the Lodge leading to the VWL building. If you're walking around anywhere near that area, you'll likely hear someone whack at it.
- If you have young kids, make sure they pay attention to the sidewalks around the Lodge. They might be able to track some "wild" animals.
- Finally, grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet from the front desk and go on a hunt for them. Now, I assume this sheet is still available--given the current virus situation I'm just not sure. But, it's an activity that allows for social distancing, so I don't know why it wouldn't be available.

Sadly, the flag family selection and history tour (or whatever the term is) are no longer available. Those had ended before the COVID pandemic. Still, there are many small things to take in at the Lounge, and at the end of your day, Geyser Point is a nice spot to rest and fuel up with food and drinks. . .and the view from GP is darn good. Enjoy!
Sad to hear they ended the flag family and the tour. That's too bad. I always wanted to do the flag.

Its pouring rain outside, you have 2 days left in your vacation at WDW. Do you go hit that park, because it will be empty, or, do you hang out at the Lodge? And why?

Sloshing around the parks in the rain is not our idea of a good time, so we would definitely make it a Lodge day if it was pouring. Grab the iPad and head to one of the cozy nooks in the Lodge or VWL lobby. Or make our way out to Geyser Point for a cold beverage.

Having said that, one Christmas day my family was at MK and while we were having our dinner it started to really pour. As soon as we came out of Liberty Tavern, the rain stopped and the crowds were pretty much gone. We were able to get right into a few attractions with no lines...it was our little Christmas miracle. :)

But yeah, at this point we'd stay in the room. 🌦

Whats your favorite lounge in a resort and a park and why?

In resort - TOTWL. The honorable mentions are Geyser Pt, Territory Lg (as long as not filled with families waiting for AP) and Crew's Cup Lounge at YC. It's evolved and changed over the years. At one time, pre-BLT, the Outer Rim lounge was my go to if looking for a libation.

In park - we just don't much but my new favorite is the Brown Derby's outdoor bar seating.

If I were in the parks I'd enjoy the reduction in crowds. If it was pouring before we headed out? I'd stay in.

My answer is, hang back at the Lodge. I will never forget, one of the best days ever, it poured rain, buckets of rain. So we made an exec decision, dont go to the park. We stayed in, read a book, kids watched Disney channel, we ate an unexpected lunch at WCC, grabbed a seat at the Carolwood Pacific room and played a few rousing games of checkers. It was so peaceful. And alas, the skies filled with stars and we soaked in the ambiance of the outdoors portions of WL that eve. It was awesome, and one of the most memorable times at WDW that we still talk about to this day. Had to have been at least 13 years ago
I think it would depend on how long my vacation was and how much time I had already spent at the Lodge and at the parks. If it were back in the time I was an owner and was able to visit the parks more often I would have leaned toward staying at the Lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter